• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Jump Creek Falls. fsqalfjzdjd4.jpg
  • alteredsteve175
    Too many people have taken the wrong turn here. :Dnfj6f0mvnlfi.jpg
  • alteredsteve175
    Ceci - did you also ride back down the mountain? Seventeen miles of crooked road would be a blast!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Ceci - did you also ride back down the mountain? Seventeen miles of crooked road would be a blast!

It's basically 5 miles uphill, 12 downhill, going south from there. I rode about 7 of that to the lookout point and back. In my total 24 miles, there was 1600 feet of climbing and the same in decent. This is one of my favorite routes this time of year.

If you do the entire route from Brentwood to Mountainburg and back it's 42ish miles with about 3,000 feet of climbs.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,161 Member
    Yesterday was the 42nd annual Mt. Pisgah Mushroom Fest! I always volunteer. The mushroom display is the largest on the west coast! The weather was great, so it was crowded.

q4dckisdqvbr.jpg

First place was awarded to a Sparassis (cauliflower mushroom):
    8ofu9el8q43n.jpg

There's always a scarecrow contest; guests get to vote for their favorites in several categories. A couple I really liked this year were the "Ironic Scarecrow" and a story about mushrooms that "grow" in people....
    shg9d2lg2n9e.jpg
    m77zct5zcbjv.jpg

Holy Cow is a local company that makes healthy ready-to-eat foods. They used to have a cafe, but it closed. They make mushroom soup one day per year. I always get it. I think they donate the proceeds to the arboretum. It's got commercial and wild mushrooms. The line is ALWAYS long, but soup and bread are all that's on the menu, so it's a fast line. It is my favorite line to stand in every year; I am already looking forward to next year:
    ydkow05jghds.jpg
    y82jzfe0g9fn.jpg

I got a few pictures of some fungus of interest. If you collect chanterelles, be sure NOT to collect the scaly chanterelle. It's the closest look-alike. Fortunately, it probably won't kill you if you eat it, but it might give you an upset belly.
    tzfyj9ugo3yq.jpg

The good thing is there are SO MANY delicious mushrooms out there including King Bolete, Sparassis, hedgehog, lion's mane, goat's beard, littlefoot chanterelle, chicken of the woods, and.....
    uyowka5h8nnt.jpg
    phj5hxfbq4ca.jpg
    3gdpcnhkta5b.jpg
    gl73vkcxbl3f.jpg

Come on out next year. You're going to love it!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,898 Member
    Great one-eyed pumpkin!! I love it!!
  • Just_Ceci
    A few of my favorite shots from my weekend of hiking:
    Fall color near our campsite-
    nh1igcyyxz5w.jpg
    Buffalo National River from the bluff-
    rt86mjyn6tt4.jpg
    Frost Flowers, first time I had seen any in person-
    xbgvvmep2jkh.jpg
    Sam's Throne-
    ook1nsv1pioq.jpg
    Eden Falls-
    j2qar7b8jpcx.jpg
    Goat Trail along the bluff line above the Buffalo River-
    2cd3hcrybjaa.jpg
    One of the many interesting trees we saw-
    w8vis0hur5ss.jpg
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,898 Member
    I've never seen anything like those frost flowers before. Amazing!
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Had a weedy back lot once. Really ugly. And then one frosty morning woke up to a field of frost flowers. Neat.

Thanks for bring that memory back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Drone photo of the river where I row, stolen from the IG of the guy who took it (he wouldn't mind). (I might be in one of the dots on the river: I was there that day, but the boats were spread out, and the ones in the photo are too tiny even to tell which boat type it is. If one is a double, I am in it, because the others were quads and a coach launch).

1nqzlv7iu6sw.jpg
  • Just_Ceci
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Drone photo of the river where I row, stolen from the IG of the guy who took it (he wouldn't mind). (I might be in one of the dots on the river: I was there that day, but the boats were spread out, and the ones in the photo are too tiny even to tell which boat type it is. If one is a double, I am in it, because the others were quads and a coach launch).

1nqzlv7iu6sw.jpg

Beautiful!

This is the only picture I got from my bike ride yesterday:
    50bfcuk2szwx.jpg
    Last warm day for a while.
    429ssdbzffm4.gif
  • mtaratoot
    I've been sick with a cold most of this week. Might even be sub-clinical flu that my immunization kept from going berzerk. I've had enough energy the last couple days to take some nice walks as we've been having nice weather. There's a park less than a half mile from my house that's about 300 acres of forest, sports fields, picnic areas, and a boat ramp. There's lots of trails. I often forget to even go down there to enjoy it. We play Ultimate on the sports fields.

Today I decided to throw on an 8-pound weight belt from my SCUBA kit to make my walk a little more of a calorie burn, and also to remember what it's like to walk around eight pounds heavier. I could feel it in my knees and hips for sure, and I think I was a little slower. Before I started my weight loss journey, I had the equivalent of three or four of these stashed all around my body.

wcvr1waqn576.jpg

I walked counter clockwise today. I went clockwise yesterday. So I started farther from the river and walked about 2/3 of the way down the park, then cut across to a bark path and eventually to the river path.

qwr6vvmfa2h5.jpg
    9yvb3rh2agw7.jpg

I had a couple views of the river before heading back uphill to my house.

vg5hdshkqzyh.jpg
    54latsk22xxd.jpg

If you look up-thread to Page 12 this spring, you will notice some other pictures of the same path. Except on THAT day, I was in a canoe because the river was UP.

hwm53thmyhy5.png

• alteredsteve175
    A rock climbing dog.
  • alteredsteve175
    Daisy on the rock.

6pvcbwa2av3l.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    What a good girl!
  • atmdaddy
    atmdaddy Posts: 51 Member
    a8t123m6gxg3.jpg
    golf course bass fishing with my son.
  • alteredsteve175
    atmdaddy wrote: »
    a8t123m6gxg3.jpg
    golf course bass fishing with my son.

Nice! Are there also golfers on the course while you are fishing?

(Love your screen name, BTW. I sometimes call myself a walking checkbook. :) )