Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Options

Replies

• shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    We could easily be a dog loving group Paula!

I still need to find myself a new family doctor since mine retired. I have a goal to make an appointment for a physical this summer. It's been too long, but it's not that easy to find a doctor. No one took over my last doctors patients. It seems like the clinic that was once super busy with a variety of doctors and services has fallen apart. It would be interesting to find out what happened.

My. weight is staying pretty stable and not at a number that I am happy with. I will press on in hopes that the changes I am making will show up on the scale.
  • mjjdzhere
    mjjdzhere Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So planning is really getting on my nerves lol. One of the main struggles with weight loss for me is staying the course. Even though I plan dinners ahead, so many other things get in the way of keeping the planned dinner a priority. We had batch cooked for a while, and that was helpful. However, staying consistent, whether it is batch cooking, meals planned ahead, etc. does not happen, resulting in me starting all over again. There has to be a better way! So back to the drawing board for me.

Hope all is well for everyone. Shari, I too am not happy with the "number" or the fact clothes are tight. I keep moving my annual physical to the next month, relate to you with finding a new doctor, trying to decide if I am really going to get to it. I see that you Paula are also thinking about your check up. A close friend who just turned 87 tells me she made up her mind years ago about "check ups" and just schedules them every year and goes. Loving the different dog photos!
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody! I agree, MJ! I love seeing the dog photos! I don't know if any of you ever see/read a grocery store checkout magazine called "Women's World", but Dr. Mike is on the cover this week, with a brief description of the "kickstart" diet as part of the content. I've had a good week diet-wise and am down about 5 lbs, but not 5 new lbs....still trying to get back to a point where I'm losing "new lbs".
    I have to see my Dr. every 6 months. I think it's because of my blood pressure meds. It's a good thing I like her! LOL!! She is the daughter of my OB/GYN who retired many years ago. Replacing Drs and dentists is a challenge-my dentist of more than 30 yrs retired and I didn't like the person who took over. It took a while but I finally found one I like by asking friends for recommendations.
    We have another dog show coming up in two weeks. I'm using that as motivation to stick with the program.
    Paula and Diane, those are two cute dogs! Keep the pics coming whenever you want!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Finding a new doctor is not easy. I have been with my family doc since 1998 and feel blessed to have her. When I started with her she had just begun her practice. I feel like I have watched her (and her children) grow up! MJ, I like your 87 yr old friend's attitude about annual check ups.

DW, Thank you for telling us about the Woman's World article about Dr. Mike! When I read your post I thought "oh darn, I will never see this article because I don't shop in a physical store anymore to pick up the magazine." But, guess what, I found that I could get the current issue sent to my Kindle app for $1.99. In a matter of seconds I had it. I am looking forward to reading the article as well as other articles. Thanks again DW!

I struggled to be on track today....for no good reason really. I plan too MJ, but sticking to the plan is my downfall! I really have no excuse for my indiscretions! I am giving myself another pep talk!

We are expecting a pretty major ice storm tonight into tomorrow. I am concerned about potential power failures as well as ice keeping me from taking Buster outside safely. Our breezeway is covered but depending on how the storm (snow, sleet, and freezing rain) hits, the end of our ramp and part of our walkway could still be icy. I won't take any chances.
  • mjjdzhere
    mjjdzhere Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Paula, glad you are not taking chances! I remember that cold weather, the driving, the walking, and the perils of that ice! Stay safe.

DW, thanks for the info on the magazine. Was considering getting his new book, but first I need to decide on a plan I am going to stick with. Thank you for continuing to share with us.

Like many others, maintenance has been my biggest struggle. So of course, it has been a lifetime of yoyoing. 2021, I almost made it thru the year. Then in mid Nov. I quit and gained back 10 lbs before Jan 1st! It is hard to not be discouraged with myself, yet I do see changes, lessons learned and implemented. Most importantly, I am definitely being more realistic about what "food program" do I want to stick with forever. Really tired of the back and forth, clothes not fitting once again, etc. For me, I have learned the support of others is crucial. Thank you all for listening and being a part of my journey.
  • shariletts
    edited February 2022
    Options
    We have been having weather that goes from one extreme to the other. Mild and melting and the freezing cold. Not great for the walkways at all. Hard on the dogs especially and I can see how easily they can injure themselves.

I have found a little bit of success, but also not at the point where I am losing new pounds. I decided to give up all forms of chocolate to see if that helps. Little treats here and there add up. I have been tracking some of my habits and can clearly see that I am not consistent so it shouldn't be such a big surprise that I am not losing. Here is what I track daily:

Goal Weight (a mini goal that drops a half pound every week)
    Current Weight
    Hours of Sleep (8 is my goal)
    Number of calories (1400 is my goal)
    Glasses of water (8 is my goal)
    Exercise (my goal is for 20 minutes each day)
    Mindset- I do a journal entry
    Days in a row that I hit all of my goals. Today I am at 1 in row (not very impressive lol)

If I hit my goal I put the line in green font and if I miss I change it red font. I have been posting this on the personal blog page and reflect back on how much red or green font there is.

Enjoy the day, I am hoping to have a good sabbath. Moe loves the big windows here at the farm.

sg6ee647zxl3.jpeg
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, What a beautiful photo....Moe and the winter scenery! I think that is publishable (is that a word?). It would make a nice Christmas card too. Your plan for tracking looks very well thought out. I am pleased when I simply track all of my food!!! I don't track water because I know I always drink enough of that. I always did. Wow on giving up chocolate! You are right about the little things adding up. I think that is also an issue with me.

MJ, Like you I find that the support of others is very important on this journey. I think our little support group here is wonderful. I learn so much from everyone here and treasure having a safe place to share, vent, etc.!

Friday's ice storm was pretty significant. Some areas lost electricity, but ours stayed on. I was able to get Buster out first thing in the morning, but it was a bit of a challenge. Only the very back of our breezeway had significant ice and was slippery. I managed and was relieved that I got him out and in safely. By the middle of the day the ice started to melt, and the sleet and freezing rain stopped. I still had to be careful but nothing compared to the early morning outside trip. I didn't do well with staying on plan on Friday but did very well Saturday and today. So that is a 2 day streak with my motivation high for tomorrow. I have a busy day planned for tomorrow (housework) and tried to rest up this weekend, but never really felt very well rested these past 2 days. Maybe some stress too...one of my best friends was in a car accident in another state. She is ok but shaken up. A guy ran a stop sign and t-boned her vehicle. And then the DH of another dear friend slipped on bottom step in their home and tore his patella ligament. He had surgery on Friday and now has to keep his leg completely extended for 2 weeks. That will not be fun for him or his wife. Such problems for both of these friends!

Here's to a great week for all of us!
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hi Everybody! Shari, I love the photo of Moe! What a great window for him to keep an eye on things! Paula, I'm glad things went well getting Buster out! We had the snow/icy/freezing rain starting Thursday evening and it was gone by Friday morning. Now it has been above freezing during the day for 2 days so much of it has melted. I hope that the warming trend will continue! I hope your friends will recover quickly! MJ, I agree that the support is so important! I appreciate this group so much! Diane, I hope you are doing well!
    My weight has held steady for the past three days. I always think it should be dropping when I stick to a plan and IF, and I am disappointed when it doesn't, but I realize that my expectations aren't realistic, especially at my age and with my yoyo dieting history (more of a lifestyle than a "history"). MJ, I think you are on to something with finding a healthy way of eating for life. Fat Tuesday is fast approaching and I have used that as an excuse to over indulge in the past. There is truly no reason for me to do that but the thought has been crossing my mind too much lately. I am stating my intention to you all that I will stay on my plan on Tuesday and I will check in Tuesday night to report that I didn't eat every sweet treat within 10 miles of my home! Have a great week everyone!!
  • shariletts
    Options
    DW- I just looked up Fat Tuesday, not a phrase that I was familiar with lol. But then I read that the day is also know as Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday and Pancake Tuesday. I had a bit of a history lesson and that was really good for me.

I have started some of my seeds indoor this past weekend. I look forward to having a better garden this year. I started strawberries, cabbage and two types of peppers. Last week I started asparagus. Next weekend I will start some tomatoes. I won't have any excuse to not get my veggies in later in the year.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Well, I will add a little bit to the Fat Tuesday information. In our area tomorrow is referred to as Fastnacht day, a PA Dutch term that translates to "fasting night" or "almost night." Fastnachts are donuts so another word for tomorrow is Donut Day. Traditionally these special donuts are crispy on the outside and not quite as sweet as regular donuts. However, these days, any kind of donut will do on this day. When I worked it was customary to have donuts on this day at work but ever since I retired I haven't indulged at all.

I accomplished all I set out to do today and as pretty pleased with myself. I also managed to stay on track completely. I am well within my WW points with quite a few to spare. So that is 3 consecutive days for me to be on track. I am aiming for day 4 tomorrow. It will be an easier day for me in terms of housework but not much fun since I plan to start on getting my income tax information ready for my accountant. I am not at all math or tax oriented so my accountant does the important work, but I put everything together for him and that is my task for tomorrow. Yuck! But again, I will be happy when I complete this task. Grumble,grumble, grumble.
  • shariletts
    Options
    I hadn't thought of lent, but I think I will do it. I haven't 100% decided, but I am thinking of giving up tea and coffee. That is something I have every day so it will be very noticeable. I can pray whereas I would have sipped. I let hot lemon slip, so I could have that instead.

I am off to the office today. Our work at home order has been lifted as well as our mask mandate. I will continue to wear mine until my dad has surgery and is recovered. It will be awhile. I am okay with that although DH, not so much.
  • atgoal135
    atgoal135 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Love the picture of Moe and the wintery scene he is enjoying!

My sister and her SO left yesterday. Seemed a bit empty around here after 28 days! The time flew by and we look forward to seeing them next winter. Such a blessing to have had these February weeks together for so many years. We figured at least 12 yrs! Before that my dad and his wife spent 3 entire winters, Nov-April 1, with us in our first home here. I treasure those warm memories today.

Tax season and I made a start today. Always a chore but a feeling of accomplishment when I finally turn over to accountant.

I gained 3 lbs in one month of company….treats on the kitchen counter all the time, cooked full meals often, ate out more than usual too and ice cream now and ten….it added up. I will see if I can drop those 3 lbs this month…is a real goal!!! I was able to continue my IF and I know if I hadn’t done that it would have been a bigger gain. Going to track my 1395 calories and try to drink more water and get to bed on time!!🤞💪
  • DW2022
    Options
    HI Everybody! I am happy to announce that I made it through Fat Tuesday without any treats. I was introduced to Fat Tuesday at work. The first year our supervisor brought a King cake with the baby in it. I got the baby that first year and, during the year he spent in my purse (so I wouldn't lose him), he lost an arm. It was my turn to bring the treat the next year and hide the baby in it. The one-armed baby was passed on for at least 10 yrs. When I retired, I had him again and left him with another employee so the tradition could continue. It was a fun tradition but not one that I grew up with.
    I am still pondering Lent. Some years I give up something and some years I add something. I will take time for reflection tomorrow morning and make a plan. I might also attend Ash Wednesday Service via zoom. Have a good evening!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, Thinking of you as you return to the office, an adjustment for sure, but also a good feeling to know that Covid is declining enough for things to loosen up so much. I agree with you for wearing a mask because of your dad.

Diane, What a blessing to have such a nice time with your sister and her SO. In my book, a slight gain would be well worth it, especially since you are doing so well in general. I predict you will drop those 3 pounds in less than a month!

DW, I am not familiar at all with the baby in the cake custom. It is nice that you were able to continue it and pass it on after you retired.

Orthodox Christian Great Lent begins on March 7. Our Easter (we call it Pascha) is one week later than Western Easter this year. Some times we are together, some times weeks apart, and some times, like this year, one week apart. Our practice is to not eat meat during the Lenten period (this year March 7 to April 24). During Great Lent some people also abstain from all animal products including dairy, eggs, etc., but I have found that too strict for my health. Each person is encouraged to work with his/her spiritual father (usually the parish priest) to determine a meaningful Lenten fasting practice. In addition, of course, increased prayer and participation in church services, reading more spiritual materials, alms giving, self-examination, and increased service to others are also a part of this time. When I was growing up we also abstained from going to movies and often did not watch television. We listened to only church music in those days. Weddings, parties, dances, etc. are not permitted during the Lenten periods as they are considered to be festive celebrations. John and I try to do as much as we can during this Lenten time of increased spiritual efforts, but I know I am much less strict than when growing up. I also know our efforts need much improvement every year. It is a journey for sure.

Well today is day 5 of my compliant streak. I am pleased with how well I am doing and hope to see good news when (if) I keep my doc appointment next week and step on her scale. I didn't get much done with my taxes but will keep at it. I am heading to ShopRite soon, the big event of my day! ;)

• shariletts
    Options
    I have strayed the last two days and haven't stepped on the scale to see the impact. I will give myself a couple of days and hope that I can get back with my plan and back on track with my weight loss goal. Today should be a good day to do that. I get to work from home today. I prefer that for now as the rest of the people I share office space with haven't been back much at all so I just sit in an empty office. For me, that is a waste of time for me commuting and money for gas. I will talk to my supervisor about that.

For lent I decided to give up coffee, tea and chocolate. I have also put my ipad away. I still have a phone and computer, but by putting the ipad away I give up the games that I play on it. I did have a headache yesterday and I have a slight one still. I am guessing that is due to the loss of caffeine. I know I had increased my intake of those things lately so it will be good for my physical health to abstain from those beverages.

When I was learning about Fat Tuesday I did read about the baby in the cake tradition. That would have been a fun thing to participate in over those years DW.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, Giving up the coffee and tea will probably help you increase your water intake...win - win! I would have a rough time without my coffee. I think I could give up chocolate and tea before I could give up my coffee. We will be here to cheer you on with this noble effort!!! I hope you are able to work out an agreeable arrangement with your supervisor regarding working from home.

Today is day 6 of my streak. I am still able to stick with the IF without much difficulty. Yesterday was a struggle for healthy choices, but I managed to do so. Today I go to my nail appointment, but I have already thawed out turkey cutlets for supper so I should have no excuses about getting too hungry or whatever other excuses I tend to think of! Today is our one month anniversary of having Buster. How time flies! I got an email from his rescue shelter today asking how things are going and for any pictures I want to share. I will be more than happy to tell them what a wonderful dog he is....but I think they already know that as his description on their website referred to him as "a volunteer favorite."
  • shariletts
    Options
    Yesterday afternoon I had to take Tylenol and that helped with my headache, I don't have one right now, so maybe I am in the clear. I think my water intake will increase Paula. I like to have a hot drink, so the hot lemon water is back as part of my routine.

Great news on your streak Paula! And on your 1 month anniversary with Buster. I can't believe it's been a month already. Spring should be just around the corner. I am excited for milder temperatures and to check out my greenhouse. It will be fun setting it up and see how it does.

I have had three bad days in a row as I have met. young adults for three days in a row. We met at restaurants. So I had three bad meals that I now need to work to recover from. I know I can get back to it. Today I will aim for compliance so I can start catching up to Paula's streak.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, it is tough to stay on plan when eating out. My mobility issues might be a plus for me in this way since I am very reluctant to eat out because of the walking risks involved. I do miss socializing in restaurants with my friends but don't miss the sodium!

Today would be day 8 of my streak, but I am already struggling as I feel unduly hungry. I hope I don't cave today and undo some of my progress. John wants to get delivery tonight from a new restaurant not far from where we live. It is very tempting to me. I haven't decided what to do yet. This is the longest I have had a compliant streak in recent memory. I still haven't weighed in....maybe tomorrow or maybe I will wait till my doctor appointment on Tuesday. It is in the afternoon however so better to believe a first-thing-in-the morning weight. I drink so much water (and coffee and tea) during the day that if I don't weigh in first thing, I don't want to see a water weight number and get discourage. I am not expecting a big drop because I had several days at the top of my point limit, but I am expecting a little good news.

Buster's DNA results arrived. He is an interesting mix. Here is the diagram of his results

jgng8tl8hcbe.png
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Paula, I can't believe that it's been a month since you brought Buster home! He is definitely an interesting mix and it seems like he has the best and cutest parts of every breed! Shari, I hope your headache is past! I also hope that it will work for you to work from home more! Diane and MJ, I hope that you are both doing well!
    I surprised myself and actually went to the Ash Wednesday service at church. There weren't many people there but I was glad I went. Someone I know from church called me earlier that day and asked me to come. I also am going to attend a Wednesday evening study at church during Lent. That is one of my Lent commitments. I have a couple of weekends with dog events so can't get to Sunday service, but the Wednesdays will work for now.
    Today is day 3 of my 2nd round of 17DD Kickstart. The first three days are the most restricted, the next four are a tad less restrictive, and the next ten are healthy eating but include most meats. Thankfully I will hit the final ten days when we are away for our next dog trip. We leave on 3/10 to drive to the St. Louis area for three days of shows. It is only a days drive and should be a pleasant trip if the weather cooperates. We had a very nice day today with the temps reaching 70 -very unusual for us in early March and very enjoyable! Have a blessed Sunday!
  • shariletts
    Options
    That's such fun and interesting information about Buster's family tree!

My headache subsided yesterday and I am very thankful for that. My plan moving forward (after lent) will be to have coffee on Sundays and tea on Thursdays. I will stick to hot water the rest of the week. I don't want to have to detox from caffeine again. It wasn't too terrible, but it didn't feel good knowing I had to detox from it.

We are pretty much restriction free now. I am hearing of people still catching Covid, but less. I am thankful for that. I still want to be careful while my dad awaits surgery. He can't afford to get sick right now.

I had a compliant day yesterday. Now for another one today!