Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,769 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Unfortunately when our 🐹s break down it is either not obvious to the affected person, or they're trying to rationalize what their 🐹a are going to make them do anyway.

And I fully believe that she's not actually feeling her hunger at this point of time. In a non ED context it would be similar to end stage cancer preventing food intake. The difference there being the physical lack of option to react.

The problem with her is reaching through a brain that's lying to her to get her to at least try to break the cycle.

Some good insights here. There's scientific evidence that folks who are starving to death (hunger strikers, people living through genuine unrelenting famine and victims of inhumane wartime atrocities and experiments) aren't ravenous all day every day. When you're literally starving to death, nature is kind enough to remove the torture of hunger from the equation.

When food becomes available again, it's really important to reintroduce the nutrition in a measured, balanced way because otherwise the sudden ingestion of too many nutrients into a system that has been starved of them can lead to electrolyte imbalance, vomiting, dehydration etc. Refeeding syndrome constitutes a genuine medical emergency, as it can be fatal.

And yes....her brain is definitely lying to her. Her disordered thinking isn't necessarily something she can identify and correct herself...PAV, Ann etc are trying to make her recognise the irrationality of her thought processes, but it's hard to convince someone that they're delusional....
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Yeah, I don't post calorie counts when I post my menus, but usually I'm between 300-400 for lunch and 400-600 for dinner. I run very comfortably around 1350-1450 calories. And I eat bread and real butter, and cream sauces, and pasta and rice and all that.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    So last night got crazy...

I was sitting on my sofa and happened to look outside to see some kids (early to mid teens I would say), just kinda hanging out in front of my building. I have seen this group around before so did not think much of it, until 2 of the kids split off from the rest and cut between a couple cars. Then one of them ducked down by a car, OPENED the driver side door, and leaned into the car. Now, I knew right away this was NOT their car. This car belonged to someone in my building. They then closed the door and started walking away... only to see me watching them and they took off.

So I spent the night dealing with giving information to the police including a description... and then I had to actually go and identify the kid when they caught him. So I ended up going to bed "late" (for me). Which means I am struggling this morning with being tired and when I am tired... I want to eat all the bad foods.

What a night. That dumb kid making a super stupid decision.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had to go through this! Neighbor needs to lock his car. But you did the right thing - most of us probably would have guiltily looked the other way rather than get involved.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    @Athijade I hope the rest of your weekend goes better!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Oh Connie so many new worries! Hope you both get through all the tests this week and are well. Take care.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    @Athijade Sounds like an eventful night.

@conniewilkins56 I'm hoping everything gets better for both of you quickly.

I decided to share some of my weekend. Everyone always says just jump on in.

I got new shoes and a new Fitbit on Friday. I was replacing shoes that I have walked almost 1,000 miles in and my Fitbit was from 2018. Both were needing an update. Pretty happy with both purchases so far.

Hubby made pork ribs for supper today on our new (to us) Traeger Pellet Grill. We bought it from someone used for $215. New they can be up to $1,000 so I feel like we got a good deal. The ribs turned out really good, we were all really happy with the taste.

It was nice here yesterday and today so I was able to get some walking in outside. I have really been missing getting outside because of the wind. Tomorrow is still supposed to be nice and then it gets windy again on Tuesday. I have tried walking in the wind but it aggravates my asthma and I hate using my inhaler so I try to avoid that at all costs.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Funny thing about shoes. During the 2 years of covid I walked about 3-4 miles outside almost daily. Gyms were closed so that was the only alternative but I really enjoyed being outside. Then I developed a foot stress fracture and then hip bursitis- both probably from overuse because I’m am old lady!

It wasn’t until I had to stop the long hikes that I realized I had worn a large HOLE in the thick sole of my running shoes! It was covered by my arch inserts. I didn’t even think it was possible to do that! Who knew? I’d never been active enough in my whole life to wear out a shoe.

I am now back in the gym but working at a slower pace. Some stationary bike, treadmill and weights. No pavement pounding.

So ABD enjoy your walks outdoors but do check your shoes!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    I wish MY shoes lasted 1000 miles. No they don't. And I am problematic enough (who would have EVER thought that I would be problematic?-NO-ONE!-am-I-right-or-am-I-right!?!? :lol: ) that even the same model between batches stops working... much less different models even within the same brand. Used to do New Balance only... but a side effect of sliming is that I've gone from EEE to "just" wide, albeit a very wide wide. So I've been using Merrell Mocs. But not all mocs fit equally well. Anyway. When in continuous use we're talking less than 3 months for each paid... which puts them up there in the cell phone bill expense category!

So ABD, WHICH fitbit did you get?
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    My shoes were falling apart. They did not last 1,000 miles but I hated the other shoes I bought about a year ago and kept going back to the broken pair. The broke down shoes felt better than the new ones I had. This time I got the same brand and style of the ones broken ones just in a different color. They still seem to be working well. I walked 9 miles in them over the weekend, most of that outside.

I had the Fitbit Inspire HR for 4 years so I decided to get the Fitbit Luxe because it still has the small screen like the Inspire HR. I don't like the big smartwatch screens since I never used to wear a watch at all before getting a Fitbit. The Luxe has all the same features of the Inspire HR and a few more since it's several years newer.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited April 2022
    Options
    What do you do to your shoes to wear them out that quickly? My shoes last much longer than 1000 miles...

My MIL bought me these new walking shoes for Christmas to replace an identical pair that I wore daily for at least a year. I wore them for the first time on Boxing Day (26th Dec 2021), and since then I've walked 693.2 miles in them...I'll be thinking of them as 'my new shoes' for at least another year. Last year I walked 2,714 miles, and I hope to exceed that this year, so the previous pair were good for at least 2800 miles....

These shoes cost £55 - that's not a bad price, I don't think....especially if someone else buys them for me for Christmas so they cost me nowt!

pipqhp3ovmcy.png
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Shoes are such an expensive bother 🙂

I've been wearing doc Martin bouncy souls for a few years... The ones with the really thick soft soles... Because I messed up my foot and these were the only shoes that made walking bearable. Most of my walking is on concrete and these make it feel like you're walking on turf. The only problem is those soft soles wear out really quickly and not necessarily evenly so I end up buying two pair per year or I get sore knees/hips...plus a pair of winter boots maybe every second year?

I'm pretty heavy and I'm a heavy walker...no matter what I weigh. And scrolling through fitbit I think I can say average about 50 miles a week...now I have to use math :# ...so maybe 2600 miles in a year and maybe 1100 miles out of a pair of boots?
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    A friend took a sneaky photo of my yesterday, and I'm now in a quandary. Because of the usual body dysphoria that accompanies significant weight loss, I've been thinking of myself as still noticeably overweight - my brain hasn't caught up with the number on the scale and on the clothing labels yet. But, in the snapshot, I reckon I look like someone of 'normal' build, which was my holy grail when I started. I don't have any other recent photos, but I found an old photo from 2013, when I was about 2kgs heavier than I am today, and again, I reckon I look 'normal' build-wise (considering in the 2013 photo I was wearing a heavily padded skydiving suit).

So - I've reached my holy grail of looking 'normal build', even if the BMI charts would disagree. Should I press on and lose my remaining 10kg (22lbs), or just continue enjoying being at maintenance for a while? I never aspired to being skinny, or looking good naked (my husband may wish I were more ambitious, but that's his problem not mine). As long as I looked OK in clothes, that was good enough for me. Clothes can hide a multitude of flaws, and I'm never likely to show much bare flesh in public.

I'm pretty sure Pav would tell me to enjoy maintenance for at least a few months and let my body adjust and recover before pressing on, but what do you ladies think? Part of me thinks it's a cop-out stopping before I reach the finish line...another part of me thinks the health benefits are already gained and I look normal-build in clothes so I should just be happy with that, at least for a while.

Thoughts? Maintain or press on?

4yz96gms2mao.png
    649dqo81p4yx.png

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    You look great, Bella. And it happy. And you seem to be in a very good place.

BMI is really kinda whacked - as we all know.

I so understand where you are at. I was there last year. I chose to push onward and it became harder and harder and I think that is part of the reason I ended up having my bump upwards - as much as the surgery challenges.

So I would recommend what I plan to do this time around, which is - get to "normal" looking/feeling and then focus on slightly, slightly more than maintenance. Kinda like maintenance with a few deficit days thrown into the mix now and again with the goal of maybe losing a four pounds a year...one per season :)

And a big big congratulations to you!
  • Yoolypr
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Bella, you look like a totally normal person but then looks can be deceiving (lol). 😁Seriously you look wonderful.
    My goal was mainly to no longer be the fattest woman in the room. I’m kind of there with about 25 pounds from my personal goal. It’s hard to stay motivated when I generally look like the average overweight American older woman. I can get clothes off the normal rack, buckle the airline seatbelt easily, family is pleased, doctor is happy....

But how much more loose skin can I hide if I lose more? Do I go on or rest on my substantial laurels? I can comfortably maintain or slog on. Trying to find the motivation now is difficult. Guess we each must decide for ourselves 🤔
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Bella you look wonderful!