Pictures from outdoor exercise.

Options

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Yesterday was the last unseasonably warm day we were going to have for quite a while so I drove down to a state forest area about 10 minutes from my home.

Busiek State Forest and Wildlife Area, roughly 2700 acres with a river running through the middle of it. I thought this might be a good place to look for winter mushrooms as we've had rain the last couple of days.

I did find mushrooms but no edibles that were harvestable. Still, I enjoyed the 5 mile hike across the trails through the river bottom on New Year's Eve.

k2i4qa0pbqlh.jpg

zizvm6c6j8ri.jpg

gobiss8teg3y.jpg
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,900 Member
    Options
    When I saw your pocketknife, I thought for a moment "Does that mushroom have a label?" and then I focused a bit closer. :D
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    0n8iai9jrdgl.jpeg
    We did a 7-mile hike through the old equipment tunnels they used to build Hoover Dam. Great views of Lake Mead!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    RockinMBC wrote: »
    0n8iai9jrdgl.jpeg
    We did a 7-mile hike through the old equipment tunnels they used to build Hoover Dam. Great views of Lake Mead!

That's beautiful!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,180 Member
    Options
    I have been out to some friends' house a few times in the last few months now that the weather is better. They live about five or eight miles out of town in an area with plenty of industrial forest land. That means roads and trails. I've been going out to hike with them in part because it's nice, and in part because I bring my GPS-enabled wrist device. One of my friends is, for some reason, enjoying putting lines on an air photo of exactly where the roads and trails are. I think in part he is curious where some of the spurs go. We did some exploring yesterday, so our "five mile hike" turned into about 7.5 miles. That was fine. Got nice views. Saw lady slipper orchids, trout lilies (a.k.a. faun lilies a.k.a. dog-toothed violet), bleeding heart, false solomon's seal, serviceberry, and lots of poison oak. At the end of the hike, my friends took me back around an overgrown area behind their house to show me some old logging gear that was probably abandoned in the '40s.

Ferns were coming out. Saw a few snakes out getting warm. Even saw two other groups of people hiking. This particular landowner allows hiking on their land, but you have to have a permit. No big deal. They don't let you collect mushrooms, which is too bad. I'd be concerned anyway because of the herbicides they spray.

1ify8vvdfoab.jpg

wo4tk69duqyl.jpg

8w4okbfj10rn.jpg

bldpsm3ucggf.jpg

zx29o4s1i571.jpg

5uxcrsqljmgh.jpg

We also saw false morels and a bunch of other mushrooms.
    l8tgxjz1ru55.jpg

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Looky what I found growing on a walnut stump in a client's yard. My first harvestable wild mushrooms.

Three guess what kind of polypore mushroom these are and the first two don't count.

fvb0u0ex9i5z.jpg
    jsm6fay4xvk4.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Schedule and weather finally aligned here (in Michigan), where we've been having one of those Springs that hints a little, but seems unwilling to full-bore Show Up. For the first time, I got out my li'l ol' lady hybrid bike, took an easy pace ride on the local trails, only about 11 miles, but it felt So Good to be cycling through the actual world (birds! dogs! fresh air! even sunshine!) instead of slogging away on the stationary bike in my living room playing games on my phone. Bonus: The early wildflowers are blooming!

There were a few Trilliums (T. grandiflorum), some Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum) here and there, and a wealth of Eastern Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica). The Mayapple (Podophyllum peltatum) has its lovely umbrella-esque foliage, but not flowers yet.
    lbs23jxinjlc.jpg
    gq5cd9opx302.jpg

• UncleMac
    Options
    Spring flowers popping up... so lovely!!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    The place I've been running is a large park - a bit less than 500 acres. Part of it used to be a farm that the City acquired maybe 25 years ago and did a restoration. The native forest is growing. There's also some sports fields, playgrounds, shelters, a disc golf course, and a bunch of trails through a riparian forest. I've been watching the progression of flowers.

This week there's False Solomon's Seal, Oregon Avens, Fringed cups, and many others.

kv2owy1qce2s.jpg
    q82nsvim9jy1.jpg
    k4rqonycnkm4.jpg

I might get out in the forest today, in the rain, and see different species like bleeding heart, chocolate lily, tiger lily, and others.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Well, my friend and I went for a six-mile walk through that park. We had to alter our routes several times; the path closest to the river was underwater in several spots. The river is up much higher than normal for this time of year. It usually floods the trail once or twice in the winter. It's been a dry winter and relatively dry spring until May. We're catching up. I doubt we'll keep building snowpack, but the reservoirs will fill.

My friend showed me a place she knew there were Chocolate Lilies growing (a.k.a., Checker Lily).
    qaios998e2nv.jpg

We also saw Avens, trillium, trout lilies (a.k.a., fawn lilies, a.k.a, dog-tooth violet), larkspur, camas, violet, fringed cups, hawthorn, bleeding heart, serviceberry, elderberry, geraniums of various sorts, false Solomon's Seal, and oh a bunch of other flowers.

A couple images were worth a share.
    3c2clz3tc09r.jpg
    bftzg4djylnh.jpg
    wgmwgrfagx86.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @mtaratoot, how lovely!

I didn't realize there was a US wildflower checker lily (we don't have them in Michigan, AFAIK). Maybe Fritillaria affinis?

I grow the alien one (from Europe/Asia) that looks similar, Fritillaria meleagris. One of my (many) favorites: The pattern seems so improbable. There's a white variant, too - every once in a while I get one of those. The checkered pattern is still there, but quite subtle, hard to photograph.

sx2bo37huewg.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Unless the name has changed since the first edition of Pojar & MacKinnon, it's F. lanceolata. Range is west of the Cascades in Washington & Oregon and along the east side of the southern half of Vancouver Island and the western part of mainland Canada in about that same area.

My friend showed me another plant that she thought was a Solomon's Seal. It's not. I finally realized it's a Hooker's Fairybell (Dosporum hookeri). It's the first picture after the Chocolate Lily.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I had a run through the mud again today, but didn't stop to take pictures. But after I got home and cleaned up, I decided to take this one because..... I harvested two artichokes today.

yzxadoq629g9.jpg

I also cut the first open peonies of the season. I cut some earlier today and put them in water to open inside, then found these. Shamelessly holding the jar in front of the double-file and some tulips in the front yard.

7ujsvxdluebq.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Today's practice for retirement included a bike ride. I need to tune up my road bike. I took my commuter. I was only going to go a few miles to a wetland that has a boardwalk, but the friend who was going with me decided not to go. So I had no schedule and went about 21 miles mostly on multi-use trails (bike paths). A few short segments were on very lightly traveled roads, but some of those are higher speed roads without a real bike lane. Part of that was because I missed a turn to take me through some neighborhoods to another bike path. Now I know where it is.

I pedaled out a path up one river to where it crosses that river. Twice. Then I veered off the bike path to a bike friendly road and up/over/around a very large hill and along a wetland. Then across to a very lightly traveled road to another highly traveled road, around to another road that went to a secret little bike path back to the main path.... then turned around but diverted to another path along another natural area with lots of hiking trails and made a lap around there, then through campus and back home. I did stop twice to get a picture to share here.

930n2nvtopav.jpg
    79wgqm9rk154.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river . . . well, I'm no "Lucy in the Sky", but my double partner on Friday took a photo of me in bow of my double, at the dock, on our river.
    11xq0c9qha9f.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The power of music... As soon as I read that opening comment, I was humming...
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    This picture is awful. You can't even tell what it is.

jw0ob0h7hbkg.jpg

I'll tell you what it is.

I took a canoe out today for the first time this season. I was surprised to see how high the water was. I was pleased to see that the canoe was fine in the fast current and that I still remember how to paddle. Fishing wasn't very good, but that's ok. Wind was calm, and it was nice to feel paddle on the water.

At one point I let my canoe lodge up against a log that's been down in the river for five or ten years at the top of an eddy. It held me so I could try to fish. As I mentioned - not too many bites. But I looked down at the log my boat was being held by, and there was a dragonfly emerging from its larva. Very cool.

Sorry about the terrible picture.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Sorry about the terrible picture.

How cool... Too bad about the picture...
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @mtaratoot, that's a very cool thing! I'm glad you got to see it, even if we . . . well, kinda can't.

I've only seen an insect doing that "emerge and hydraulic pump to adult shape" process once, in the wild, and it was a profoundly, profoundly memorable thing. (In my case, it was a cicada on a tree, when I was a child.) It seems impossible, miraculous.

Lucky you!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I remember seeing cicadas emerge when I was growing up and especially when we'd have those big hatch years.

I think I saw a dragonfly coming out a couple years ago near the same place - just a little downstream. I might have been able to get a better picture if I was:
    1. Not trying to keep a canoe upright
    2. Not in a bit of moving water that didn't let me keep the canoe as still as desired
    3. Not worried about dropping my phone over the gunwale
    4. Able to actually get a little closer. The image I posted was a cropped portion of a very zoomed picture. I bet there was schmutz on the lens too.

I hope to see this happen again more often. I'll try to get a picture. I wanted a picture of a big fish in my net, but.... Nope. Was still nice to feel the hull under my butt.

As I was getting ready to launch, I had to get rid of some tangles in my fishing line. Rods had been stashed in the back of the truck for months. A bystander asked where I was going; I told him. He said that the water looks awfully strong to get back upstream. I told him, "This is a fast canoe." He said it looked like it, but only one paddle and only one person. I also pointed out the slack water near the island across the main current. I told him it's usually pretty easy to climb that. He said he didn't realize that was an island.