Downsizers Team Chat - MAY 2022

Options

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    What are some weight loss methods you have tried in the past?
  • aneedlecraft
    aneedlecraft Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Checking in

PW: 320
    CW: 320
  • Morethanjustanumber
    Morethanjustanumber Posts: 656 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I did Atkins in 2003 and lost to my lowest weight in years around 220, but it was hard to sustain with a family and young children, all that Mac n cheese and chicken fingers! I did just calorie counting in 2017-2018 and lost 70 pounds most of which I kept off but if I didn’t log my foods everyday I was in trouble. I lost focus in the pandemic and gain back during 2020-2021 25 pounds. This time I am using the rules for eating from Jason Jung, The Obesity Code and logging my food because if I don’t log then somehow I lose the accountability I need.

The Obesity Code “Rules”

Step 1 - Reduce consumption of added sugar

Read labels avoid added sugars esp. high fructose corn syrup and sucrose
    Dessert = fruit/berries with whipped cream, nuts/cheese
    Dark chocolate if you have chocolate
    Up to 100 pistachios per day = improved fasting glucose, fasting insulin and insulin resistance
    No artificial sweeteners = same affects as added sugar on insulin
    Don’t snack
    Make breakfast optional
    Drink water no sweetened beverages
    Red wine up to 2 glasses per day
    No other alcohol
    Coffee up to 6 cups per day, no sugar added but can use cinnamon, coconut oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, and cream to flavor
    Tea, can add lemon peel, orange peel, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla pods, mint and ginger to flavor
    Avoid eating excess amount of fruit esp dried fruits

Step 2 Reduce consumption of refined grains, white flour, baked goods, crackers, cookies, cakes, pasta, noodles, etc.

Limit processed corn products such as popcorn, corn chips, tortillas, and refined potato products such as French fries and potato chips
    White rice is ok in small quantities
    Replace refined carbs with fatty fish, olive oil, avocados, nuts
    Eat whole vegetables/real food
    Eat foods that look like they do in nature I.e. not processed
    Quinoa
    Chia seeds
    Beans

Step 3 Moderate Protein Consumption

20-30% of total calories
    Eggs, Seafood are good sources but also beef, pork, chicken
    Full fat diary

Step 4 Increase Consumption of Natural Fats

Olive oil, butter, coconut oil, beef tallow
    Nuts esp walnuts
    Full fat diary
    Avocado
    Fatty fish
    Avoid processed oils such as corn, safflower, canola, sunflower oils

Step 5 Increase consumption of protective factors

Fiber esp Whole Foods and fruits
    Vinegar such as pickled veggies, vinaigrette dressings

• peng123
    peng123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, Downsizers! I'm back from Chicago - the trip was great, businesswise - but I hated it, dietwise! I had to eat all of my meals at restaurants and it made it very difficult to track things accurately. I'm glad to be home and getting back into my normal routine. The trip was really disruptive. @Megan_smartiepants1970 please excuse me from the step challenge this week.

I hope you all are doing well - I will try to get caught up on comments this weekend.

Cara
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh in

Morethanjustanumber

Weigh in day Saturday 5/21

PW 228.8
    CW 227.4

Loss 1.4

Stayed below 228 all week! Maybe this really does mean I have broken out of my slump!

Great loss Jean... :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options

I think I have tried every diet out there ... I starved myself ... I did the slimfast shakes.. I counted calories ...I love Keto but my Dr wants me to go low carb 150g of carbs YIKES (I am experimenting ) so I will be doing that next month along with walking and swimming in our pool
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    peng123 wrote: »
    Happy Saturday, Downsizers! I'm back from Chicago - the trip was great, businesswise - but I hated it, dietwise! I had to eat all of my meals at restaurants and it made it very difficult to track things accurately. I'm glad to be home and getting back into my normal routine. The trip was really disruptive. @Megan_smartiepants1970 please excuse me from the step challenge this week.

I hope you all are doing well - I will try to get caught up on comments this weekend.

Cara

Do you mean 5/18 to 5/21 or do you mean next week? Please clarify thanks :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    We are off to the farmer's market and then it is come home and clean house day ...I hope everyone enjoys their day :)
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    No pool today. The elevators are down and I am stuck in the lobby for awhile. My husband is on his second trip bring the groceries up. We live on the 11th floor.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options

I have tried many. I have done the cabbage soup diet, diet pills, Richard Simmons deal a meal, weight watchers and counting calories. I can’t remember the name of it but we did a diet back in the 80’s that involved eating a lot of eggs. There’s probably more but I can’t remember. Counting calories is the one I like best.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,103 Member
    Options
    The Week 4 Group Challenge is posted and ready to start on 5/22/22. Join us for fun, new ideas with Nutrition Bingo. AND there's a prize...hope to see you there! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10865016/may-week-4-group-challenge-nutrition-bingo#latest

Jessica
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Exercise 4+ hours a day on top of work, eating salads and little else, boiled chicken breast all meals. Obviously these didn't work. Lol
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. How is your weekend going?
    Calories 2157 or close. Way to much snacking since I ate decent calorie meals. I have to eat a bit more at meals. Maybe start drinking a cup of milk. 140 cal.
    This last week had me at home without any compression clothing on. I became the sta-puff marshmellow man from the waist down. Today I put my compressions on since I was going out to breakfast, first meal out since surgery, and the grocery store. The fluid got squeezed out of my feet and out of my mid section. Now it is in my knees. Each one is the size of a personal watermelon. My Dr. will freak on monday.
  • gharvey2753
    gharvey2753 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Weigh in gharvey2753

Previous 169.4ibs
    Current 170ibs

Disappointed with this week, had a couple of take aways, been drinking and skipping some weights. Need to be more disciplined this week and crack on with the weight loss again. Targeting 160ibs now fully focused. Have a good week everyone.
  • peng123
    peng123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    peng123 wrote: »

Cara

Do you mean 5/18 to 5/21 or do you mean next week? Please clarify thanks :)

@Megan_smartiepants1970 The week that ends today - thanks!
  • Morethanjustanumber
    Morethanjustanumber Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Date 5/21
    Step count 6449
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,460 Member
    Options
    cormierannie
    Weigh in day Sunday
    PW 149 pounds
    CW 148 pounds
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @peng123
    Welcome back!

@Jpedno
    Nice loss!

@gharvey2753
    Sounds like you know what to change to get you back into the 160’s.

@rwood566
    That must have made it hard walking with your knees that swollen. Glad you got out for awhile.

@cormierannie
    Great loss! Hope you didn’t get caught in the wicked storms yesterday.

What a wide variety of diets we have all tried.

This discussion has been closed.