Downsizers Team Chat - JUNE 2022

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,419 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Awesome walk yesterday and I am sure it will be another today.

Thanks @lindamtuck2018 :)
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Leaving on vacation on Thursday for Toronto. Gonna catch a couple Blue Jays games. My friends and I do this once a year. This is our 8th year going. So much fun! We basically drop our vehicles off at the hotel and walk the rest of the trip. I'm not gonna pig out this year but I'm darn sure having my big soft pretzel at Amsterdam Brewery.
  • nite_0wl
    nite_0wl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970, Yes, please add me to your step challenge. I have plantar fasciitis so I would like to start at 5,000 steps. If it seems to be improving I'll increase it and let you know. Thank you.
  • nite_0wl
    nite_0wl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @Jpedno, it is beautiful in the fall but the winters just got too much. When you spend half the winter shoveling your driveway to start your car and warm it before going to work and the snow plow comes by and buries you again... :/ The donuts across the bridge spanning the Genesee river did me in, I moved the following summer. :D Anyway, have you been to Letchworth State Park or Stonybrook? If not, I highly suggest going if you have the chance.
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    nite_0wl wrote: »
    @Jpedno, it is beautiful in the fall but the winters just got too much. When you spend half the winter shoveling your driveway to start your car and warm it before going to work and the snow plow comes by and buries you again... :/ The donuts across the bridge spanning the Genesee river did me in, I moved the following summer. :D Anyway, have you been to Letchworth State Park or Stonybrook? If not, I highly suggest going if you have the chance.

Those apple cider donuts in NY are so good! No, never been to either of those parks but they look beautiful - lots of cool waterfalls in NY. I haven't been that far west in NY. I would love to go back and explore more!

Where I live we are so thankful and in need of snow/moisture. We don't get as much as we used to. But when it snows here in New Mexico (or where I used to live in CO) it is so beautiful against our big blue skies.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    nite_0wl wrote: »
    @Megan_smartiepants1970, Yes, please add me to your step challenge. I have plantar fasciitis so I would like to start at 5,000 steps. If it seems to be improving I'll increase it and let you know. Thank you.

Will add you .. Do you have steps for 5/29,5/30 and 5/31 or we can just start tomorrow 6/1 ? Let me know when you would like to start ...Thanks
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    Leaving on vacation on Thursday for Toronto. Gonna catch a couple Blue Jays games. My friends and I do this once a year. This is our 8th year going. So much fun! We basically drop our vehicles off at the hotel and walk the rest of the trip. I'm not gonna pig out this year but I'm darn sure having my big soft pretzel at Amsterdam Brewery.

Have fun and have a soft pretzel for me :)
  • chrissyinbloom
    chrissyinbloom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new here :)

HW 242
    CW 229
    GW 145

1. Tell us a little about yourself?
    I'm 45 years old, married with 2 kids, from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I love spending time outdoors: hiking, camping, and gardening. We live on top of a mountain with 10 wooded acres. My dream home! Love the wildlife that comes around, except when they eat my chickens.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    I've been on myfitnesspal on and off since my son was born in 2012. I've been fighting to lose weight for at least 15 years. I've been on meal plans and drugs.. always managing to gain the weight back and then some. I got brave enough to talk to my doctor about weight loss and she put me on Trulicity. It is a GLP-1 receptor agonist that is normally prescribed to Type 2 diabetics. I am not diabetic, thank goodness! I've only been on it for a little over a week, but I can tell it helps by keeping me feeling full.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?
    Triggers: being tired, bored, not feeling well. Food never fixes any of that! How can I avoid that? I'm still trying to figure all of that out.

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb
    I am attempting to follow the advice of Dr. Mark Hyman. 50% of my plate veggies, 25% protein, 25% slow carbs. I am making sure that I eat less than 80 g of carbs per day, so low carb.

5. What is your favourite way to workout?
    I have a trainer that I see at my gym twice a week. We do circuit training. I pay him to be my accountability partner! Also, I love to go hiking when at all possible.

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year?
    My biggest goals are: get off blood pressure medication and be able to shop in any clothing store!

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?
    From the group, I would like to get motivation, friendship, and encouragement!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new here :)

HW 242
    CW 229
    GW 145

I'm 45 years old, married with 2 kids, from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I love spending time outdoors: hiking, camping, and gardening. We live on top of a mountain with 10 wooded acres. My dream home! Love the wildlife that comes around, except when they eat my chickens.

I've been on myfitnesspal on and off since my son was born in 2012. I've been fighting to lose weight for at least 15 years. I've been on meal plans and drugs.. always managing to gain the weight back and then some. I got brave enough to talk to my doctor about weight loss and she put me on Trulicity. It is a GLP-1 receptor agonist that is normally prescribed to Type 2 diabetics. I am not diabetic, thank goodness! I've only been on it for a little over a week, but I can tell it helps by keeping me feeling full.

Triggers: being tired, bored, not feeling well. Food never fixes any of that! How can I avoid that? I'm still trying to figure all of that out.

I am attempting to follow the advice of Dr. Mark Hyman. 50% of my plate veggies, 25% protein, 25% slow carbs. I am making sure that I eat less than 80 g of carbs per day, so low carb.

I have a trainer that I see at my gym twice a week. We do circuit training. I pay him to be my accountability partner! Also, I love to go hiking when at all possible.

My biggest goals are: get off blood pressure medication and be able to shop in any clothing store!

From the group, I would like to get motivation, friendship, and encouragement!

Welcome to our awesome team ... You are more than welcome to add me ..Wishing you the very best on your journey :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    If any of the new comers would like to be added to our step challenge...Please let me know and give me a step pledge that you plan to it daily ..I can convert most exercises into steps ...Thanks :)
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,794 Member
    Options
    1. Tell us a little about yourself? I am a 52 yo wife of 30 years and mother of 3 with 1grand. The 2nd grand is due in December. Charleston SC is where I live and play. I home schooled my kids and I know that lost feeling when your task is through. Although it really is never completed just your position changes which creates that lost, who am I feeling.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I have been on this journey for 5 years. I literally had a dream that I died due to being so fat. So after my a Christmas Carole awakening I began to get myself together. In order to get rid of that lost feeling I had I began to focus on me and my health. I became my own project.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? Fatigue, boredom, stress, anger....You name the emotion and I want to feed it. I just stop and really evaluate why I want to eat.

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? I am building muscle so I am eating Higher protein, low fat, and lower carb. I am trending towards EM2WL but the amount of food is higher than I can eat and it not be crap. I also gravitate towards Losing 100# with Corinne and her No BS women. Both of them are about breaking the diet mentality that yo yo dieting got us to in the first place. I have lost 60# in 5 years. I am not in this for the short haul. Slow and steady still wins the race.
    5. What is your favourite way to workout? EM2WL workout app. Lifting heavy. I also swim on swim team. That is my athletic roots...The pool. Although the pool always makes me HUNGRY.

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year?This month I am traveling to Florida to go diving so not gaining would be great! This year, I am moving 2022 miles. Whether it is biking, hiking, swimming, paddling, or walking. I have 840miles down 1182 to go.

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?Accountability, encouragement, and friendship.
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. Amazing stories from all of you. Thank you for sharing with us.
    @JaysFan82 have a great trip and enjoy the walking with your new bod.
    Calories 2450. Slightly over with a bit more snacking. I took the day off from my compressions and my bowels thanked my. How can people wear girdles? Holy cow. My legs are a bit swollen but not as bad. I am thinking of going to the gym tomorrow and see if they will let me do some arm exercises. They might not like me having a drain in my leg. I may get some spicy Thai for lunch. 8 out of 10 on the heat scale. Daughter won't even smell it. Lol.
  • MadDuck62
    MadDuck62 Posts: 159 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018

PW: 328
    CW: 327 (as of Monday, my official weigh-in day; I was actually 326 this morning).

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry that I am tardy. I didn't read carefully enough and thought the start date was literally June 1st. I promise to be better. I am new so I want to introduce myself:

Hi my name is Kevin. I'm 59 and I live in the San Diego area. I live alone, but I have an awesome girlfriend.

I have diabetes and my sugar levels have started to get out of control after years of being in control.

Availability of food. Still working on avoidance strategies.

I've been successful in counting calories previously using MFP. Portion control is the key for me.

I walk my dog three times a day, but also need to do some brisk walking. I am working my way up to being able to do more of a workout using an elliptical machine, which used to be my favorite workout.

I'd like to get under 300 lbs this year. This month, I'd like to get "back in the groove" of logging meals and start losing.

I need accountability.
  • MadDuck62
    MadDuck62 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

If there is a step challenge, I want to be in on it! I've set a personal goal of 7500 steps a day.

5/29: 6059
    5/30: 9325
    5/31: 9614

• Morethanjustanumber
    Morethanjustanumber Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Date 5/31
    Step count 7072

Yesterday was the last day of company and we ended with a fabulous dinner out before seeing the broadway on tour production of Hamilton which was also fabulous! I managed to sneak in 30 minutes of exercise yesterday so I made my minimum step goal! Yay!
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,508 Member
    Options
    @888Angie888
    Look at you getting towards your step goal. Awesome!

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Another great walk!

@JaysFan82
    Enjoy Toronto! First when I moved here from Newfoundland I did quite a bit of training in Toronto. I loved exploring on my down time and even got to take in a Jays game. Now the only time I see Toronto is the airport on our layover on our way back from Newfoundland each year.

@chrissyinbloom
    Welcome to the team! I am so jealous of where you live. It sounds like your own private park. I have your weigh day as Saturday. Is this correct?

@aactuallyaash
    You deserve a big pat on the back. So many of us always say we will start tomorrow when we can start exercising or getting on track with our meals. You are amazing!

@tahm42
    You are down right inspiring with your mile goal for the year.

@rwood566
    I am amazed you can wear the compression stockings. The doctor wanted me to start wearing them. I got measured and thankfully only bought one pair. They hurt the top of my legs so much that I end up taking them off after an hour. Now that I am swimming by the time I got back from the pool house my leg would be too swollen to get them on.

@MadDuck62
    Nice loss! No worries lots think the same thing. Weight loss is a great way to control diabetes. I am now off insulin and my A1C has been great for over a year. Great steps!
This discussion has been closed.