June 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,702 Member
    None of my friends were available to run at 5:00 am this morning so I waited until it was daylight and ran in a residential section near my office. It was a beautiful morning. Cloudy with the temperature at 70F at the start.

@katharominic – Good luck and have fun with your Spartan race. The only obstacle course I have ever done was purely fun. The slide was even an inflatable one!

@shanaber – We used a tour company for most of our outings. I was disappointed in their communication or lack thereof. We booked the tour in 2019 for 2020, but then you know…They didn’t issue refunds so we had a credit with them to use. When I visited Ireland a few years ago, we had a rental car and designed our own routes staying at different B&Bs each night. That would be my preference; however, neither I nor the ladies I traveled with this time were comfortable with driving on the opposite side of the road. So glad your shoulder is doing better! That Hobbes is so darn cute!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @shanaber I 🖤 Hobbes so much! He is so handsome.

I went out yesterday at 6am. It was 81° and we hit our first 110°. It's officially hot here. 🥵
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    June Goal: 100 Miles

6/1: 5.51 miles
    6/2: 5.04 miles
    6/5: 7.10 miles
    6/7: 5.51 miles
    6/8: 6.01 miles
    6/8: 6.32 miles

35.49/100 miles completed for June

I had a fantastic run this morning. It was only 70°F when I got up and so I decided to run a 10K. It was a little warm, but for June in Texas it was really nice. There was enough breeze to cool you off without being too much wind. I ran through the sprinklers at the courthouse again which always feels good. It was a really lovely morning and I felt really good today. Like I could run forever. I was halfway through before I even realized it. I would have run more if I didn't have to go to work.

@shanaber So glad your shoulder is doing better. Hobbes is such a cutie.

@RunsOnEspresso That is hot. We have had several 100+ days this year but so far I think 108 has been the hottest.

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,947 Member
    1 Jun - Walk - 1.00 mile - driveway laps and trimmed trees for 1.75 hours
    2 Jun - Walk - 1.00 mile - treadmill
    3 Jun - Walk - 0.70 mile - Ran 2.50 miles - driveway laps
    4 Jun - Walk - 0.70 mile - Ran 3.00 miles - driveway laps
    5 Jun - Walk - 1.00 Mile - driveway laps
    6 Jun - Walk - 0.70 mile - Ran 2.60 miles - driveway laps
    7 Jun - Walk - 0.70 mile - Ran 2.30 miles - driveway laps
    8 Jun - Walk - 1.00 mile - Treadmill
    9 Jun - Walk - 0.70 mile - Ran 3.00 miles - local rural road - mowed later

20.9/80 miles for the month

When I got up this morning, I planned to mow and then run. But, I changed it around and I'm glad I did because I'm not sure I would have had the energy to do the run as well as I did had I mowed first. I was able to take more than the normal amount of breaks while mowing - much needed as my legs felt like jelly at one point.

The plan called for 5 min Zone 1, 5 min Zone 2, 8x(1 min Zone 5, 2 min Zone 1), 5 min Zone 1. It was 11:00 before I got out the door, but only 73F, partly cloudy, 7 mph cool breeze, and 65% humidity. Not horrible. I decided to run out the road which is not as steep as my driveway. (Three miles on the driveway is about 320 feet of elevation gain. Today's run was 175 feet.) I did almost all of the repeats on a section of the road that is fairly flat/slightly downhill. The only downfall was that there's little to no shade on that section. I walked almost all of the recovery times, especially after the first two. I was very pleased that in those 8 minutes, I ran a total of .91 miles for an average pace of 8:47 min/mile. I know, I couldn't have done that for much more than a minute, but it's still an improvement for me. My fastest minute was at a 8:31min/mile pace and the slowest was 9:38 min/mile which was the 7th one that I intentionally slowed a little so I'd have more left for number 8. My total run was 3.00 miles in 38:57 minutes for an average pace of 13:29 min/mile, which is pretty good considering I walked 13:33 minutes of that. I also walked 0.7 miles total for warm up and cool down.

I came in and rested a little over an hour and had a Gatorade, then went out and mowed my lawn. Total mowing time was 1:45:12 minutes and I traversed 2.03 miles. I took three breaks that totaled 55 minutes.

I did stop during my easy run and take some pictures of wildflowers that were in my fence row.
    axsxhmgaifu4.jpg
    Butterfly weed.

qoclwjmofcqh.jpg
    Wild rose.

@Teresa502 I've heard of the synchronous firefly event and thought it would be neat to see, but never applied. I'm glad you got to see it, even if it meant a 4 mile run on very little sleep. Love your pictures from Ireland. Such beautiful places to run and walk.

You are amazing @AlphaHowls !

Great running @martaindale !

@yirara Great job doing what you can do. I have a hard time exercising when I'm not at home too. As for notifications, maybe check your settings and see if you have notifications turned off.

@katharmonic I'm sure your family and puppy were glad you went to the store sweaty. :wink:

Nice run @kgirlhart . Glad you got to run through the sprinklers. I wonder if someone reviews security cameras and sees you doing that? I'm sure if they do, it makes them smile.

@shanaber So glad your shoulder is better and doesn't require surgery! Love the pictures of your day out.

@shanaber and @RunsOnEspresso Soooo hot where you two are. I think I would be hitting the treadmill.

@Scott6255 Glad to see the stick didn't cause you to have to skip any runs.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @shanaber glad to hear your shoulder is doing so much better and no surgery! That's excellent news. Hobbes is so cute enjoying his day out at the winery.

I don't envy your heat @shanaber and @RunsOnEspresso. @kgirlhart has the right idea with sprinkler running!

@quilteryoyo nice paces for your workout! That's a lot with all that mowing too. Glad you were hydrating and taking breaks.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/22 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    06/02/22 :::: 2.3 :::: 2.3
    06/03/22 :::: 0.0 :::: 2.3
    06/04/22 :::: 7.3 :::: 9.6
    06/05/22 :::: 1.9 :::: 11.5
    06/06/22 :::: 2.7 :::: 14.2
    06/07/22 :::: 1.9 :::: 16.1
    06/08/22 :::: 4.2 :::: 20.4
    06/09/22 :::: 2.1 :::: 22.4

It was raining this morning so I did a treadmill warmup run before strength training. A pretty cool day today, I think it only got into the low 60s. I closed my windows in my bedroom because I was chilly. I'd really like it to warm up a bit for this weekend so if you all could send some of your extra heat this way I'll take it off your hands. Not all of it, mind you! Maybe we can split the difference.
  • quilteryoyo
    Thanks @katharmonic . Sounds like nice weather for you, except for the rain. Cold rain is the worst. Hoping it warms up a bit for you.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,052 Member
    @eleanorhawkins I’m glad they gave you a refund for those shoes. FWIW, I use cascadias and really like them.

@shanaber So glad to hear you won’t need surgery!

@katharmonic I would send you all the heat if I could!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    01.06. 5.52km at 8:09min/km
    02.06. 3.00km at 7:46min/km
    08.06. 3.02km at 8:08min/km
    10.06. 3.23km at 8:03min/km 10x pace repeats

14.77/60km, 5.2km behind.

Still didn't go too well, but today were pace repeats anyway (short intervals with faster steps). So basically.. I ran. Next run will be slower and longer I hope, and maybe I'll catch up with my distance goal. Lets see. At least no further trips planned this month apart from maybe the one or other daytrip during weekends.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @eleanorhawkins I also really like the Cascadias.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited June 2022
    I'm the odd ball that doesn't like the Cascadias. I want to so bad. I once even wore brand new shoes for a 30k race over my cascadias 😆
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
  • quilteryoyo
    That's great @eleanorhawkins . Must mean that they could tell it was a manufacturing issue. If you wait, just make sure you put yourself a deadline to spend it on your calendar so you don't forget it. If I didn't, I'd forget. :wink:

Good luck getting up earlier @SummerSkier ! I may have to start running more on the treadmill since I tend to run later in the day.

@martaindale Nice job on the runs and the hike with DH. It's very pretty. With those cactus, it just looks really hot.

You are doing great @yirara ! Keep up the good work.

@Scott6255 Great job on a HM in those weather conditions. Glad you had a running partner to help push you on.