June 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,984 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Losing my post this time was my fault. I didn't realize that my NumLk wasn't on, so when I hit the combination for the degree sign, it went to a new window, with no warning. When I came back to MFP, the post was gone because I hadn't saved it. Still frustrating though. You know. I was up close and personal to the rhododendron and don't recall a scent. I really didn't think about it much when we were there. LOL I guess if they did, it was subtle. I can't imagine running that far two days in a row. You are doing great and probably a good idea to cut your second run a little short and skip today. I hope your calf muscle is okay. The insulated bladder sleeve should be really nice. Enjoy the Torch Run tomorrow.

Nice running @ContraryMaryMary ! You are definitely not unfit if that was an easy pace.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,984 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic We've had cooler weather over the weekend too, but is supposed to be back in the 90's later in the week. You are doing great with your mileage. I hope you have a good race, if you decide to run it.

@kgirlhart Nice running. Love that Sunny is expecting carrots now. Animals are so fun. Glad you were able to avoid the loose dogs.

@marisap2010 Great running. I'm having to do the same thing as you today. It was 50 this morning, but I wasn't able to run. Now I'm debating on whether to run on the treadmill or run late this evening outside.

@7lenny7 Shoot. Sorry you couldn't do the torch run, but yeah for getting the sutures out. Does it feel better with them out? I wouldn't have to think about running outside if it was 100 degrees. That would be an automatic NO.

@Teresa502 Sorry about the trees and having no electricity for so long. Cleaning out spoiled food and having to replace it is no fun. The temperature was almost cool this morning. Good job taking advantage of it. Looking forward to seeing some hiking pictures.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @7lenny7 Shoot. Sorry you couldn't do the torch run, but yeah for getting the sutures out. Does it feel better with them out? I wouldn't have to think about running outside if it was 100 degrees. That would be an automatic NO.

@quilteryoyo yes it does feel better. Mostly because now when I flex my finger (gently) I no longer feel the resistance of the sutures. The nurse said I can now reduce the amount of bandage material I use and that helps also. Everything appears to be healing well as can be expected at the moment. I seem to have full feeling in the fingertip (not helpful when the nurse was pulling and cutting the sutures..YEOW!!!) and no sign of infection. The swelling has come down quite a bit but still is substantial. The fingernail will definitely come off but the nurse said to let it come off naturally rather than try to speed up the process (as if!). The bandage is as much for compressing the finger as it is for protecting the wound. I go back in three weeks for a recheck and x-rays.

Call me crazy, but I'm planning on waiting for the hottest part of the day and going out for a 4 mile run just to say I did it. It's currently 96F with a 107F heat index. In two hours it's supposed to be 99F with a similar heat index. That's when I'll go out. I will bring a partially frozen water bottle with me.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    5.8 miles tonight in a toasty 100F air temp. I don't know the official number but I saw heat indexes from 106F to 114F. I wouldn't call it pleasant but it didn't suck as bad as I thought it would. I was grateful for the ice water I had with me and the wind helped when it wasn't blocked by trees. On my Strava activity @rusgolden asked me what the temperature distance was between my hottest and coldest runs. For difference in air temp it's 137F (100F & -37F). For difference between heat index and wind chill it's 157F (106F & -51F).

Those 80F days should feel pretty good after this.
    cxh5ol91azzu.png
    I got my Garmin "Toasty" badge for an activity in 100F or more temperature!

I went out for 4 miles initially but at the turn-around I was feeling pretty good so continued on instead for a 5.8 mile loop. I did walk up all the major hills but the last one, so I'm not completely crazy. I wore my new Saucony Kinvara 12s again and really, really like these so I'm going to order another pair while I can still fine them on clearance. I'm a sucker for a good deal, especially on running shoes.

99/160 miles for June
    321/639 miles for the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee, well on pace to beat the end of August deadline.

@ContraryMaryMary I'm glad to hear the running group is showing you that your fitness is still up there. That's got to feel good.
    @polskagirl01 I think you're on the right track by taking a break from running if it's not making you happy. Hopefully by taking the pressure of yourself to make it enjoyable you'll soon come back to what it was you love about running.
    @kgirlhart thank you!
    @Teresa502 UGH to losing power, all the trees and all that food!!
    @Scott6255 sounds like you had a fabulous time with the kids, except for the *kitten* incident. What a scumbag!!

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Since I missed the 60 degree weather yesterday morning, I did my Foundation Run last night in 95 degrees. It really wasn’t that bad, and I actually had a better pace than when I did the same run last week in the morning.

I again intended to do a run this morning, but I am sitting here typing instead. I feel like I have zero energy. I need to really figure out a plan for getting up to run before work. My plan should be changing to a hybrid schedule soon, so I won’t be on the road as much, and I think that will help so I won’t have to get up quite as early and won’t feel rushed.

@7lenny7 Glad your finger is feeling better!
    @teresa502 Sorry for your power outage. I know what a pain that can be.
    @polskagirl01 I agree that you should do something different for a few days. I know I get into a running funk periodically as well.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today so I did a strength workout before work. I've really skipped out on these lately and I could really tell a difference.

Great job @yirara! It’s so nice when a run feels easy. Smart for you not to push it and incur an injury.

@polskagirl – You’re that beautiful daisy blooming in spite of the hard, rocky soil. You hang in there girl!

@katharmonic – Good luck with your race tonight. I hope it’s as fun as past year’s even though it has a new sponsor.

@Scott6255 – So sorry about the smashed window and theft. That always scares me when we have to leave a car at a trailhead to hike the AT. There has been a surge in the theft of catalytic converters in these areas recently and I always hold my breath when we get back to the car.

Congrats on your Toasty badge @7lenny7! I think @marisap2010 and @noblsheep deserves one also!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Woefully behind. Life got majorly stressful last week so I am catching up. Lots of beautiful pictures from so many of you!! @quilteryoyo <3 the rhodedendron!

@eleanorhawkins Your mountain adventure sounded stressful but fun, I guess. Those sorts of things are so stressful while you're in them but when they work out, it's easy to look back and see them as interesting experiences. Re: mental toughness. I have had some big falls when climbing that stuck with me for a while. Out of nowhere, I would just lock up and get so fearful of making the next move as this memory of the fall popped into my head. It does get better with time. For me, I have to take a deep breath and make myself do the move. If I avoid it, it just lasts longer. I hope your anxiety chills out. I agree you are a bada$$!!

@7lenny7 So sorry about your finger but happy to hear you won't need surgery and seem to be healing quickly! That looks so painful. You're a tough guy!

I also switched to a hydration vest for my longer runs this past year, and love it! I still use a handheld for shorter runs but have definitely found the vest more convenient. I do the half frozen method. I tried ice cubes but even with the air all squeezed out, the cubes rattled and I found that distracting.

@katharmonic Great work on the spartan races! Sounds miserable but I'm glad you enjoyed them.
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @marisap2010 right? Summer marathon training is craziness 🥵 I feel your pain. Mine is in December, so really I won't have to do the bulk of specific marathon training in the dead of summer. But need to be building a large base to have a chance. Best of luck to you!

I am also in this boat of base building over the summer for an early January marathon/Dopey. I am struggling. It's so hot all the time and work is largely dictating my run schedule right now. I am being forced to run after work a lot, which means waiting until 7-7:30 when the sun gets lower and the heat index is only in the low 100's. It's ridiculous. I really don't want to go back to a gym but I may have to. It's taking a toll.

@Teresa502 So sorry to hear you had COVID. My family has also avoided it so far and I fear it is inevitable. I'm glad your symptoms stayed mild and you are feeling better.

Welcome back @noblsheep!!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    June total: 74.1/117 miles

6/1: 4.1 mile
    6/2: 3 miles
    6/3: 3.2 miles
    6/4: 8.2 miles
    6/5: 3.2 miles
    6/6: 5 miles
    6/8: 5 miles
    6/9: 3.1 miles
    6/10: 4 miles
    6/11: 6 miles
    6/12: 5.1 miles
    6/15: 5 miles
    6/16: 3 miles
    6/17: 4 miles
    6/18: 4.2 miles
    6/19: 8 miles

Updating with several runs. I missed 1 run last week and may miss 1 this week too. This plan combined with the crazy heat and life/work stresses is a lot. I need to decide if I should just cut back to 5 days a week or if I should keep trying this for a bit and see if things fall into place. Am I being too hasty in abandoning the plan or am I sticking with something too long that isn't working? IDK! This is only the 4th week and I was on vacation the first couple of weeks. It's always easier when you remove all work responsibilities from the mix. My personality is kind of rigid with plans so having skipped runs bothers me. Probably (definitely) more than it should. I also need to really consider getting a gym membership for the summer. It would give me an alternative to the late evening runs but I also don't really want to go to the gym. Having run only outside for over 2 years and still not being totally comfortable in crowded areas, the gym seems like a terrible idea. But, there's A/C and I could run right after work instead of basically right before bedtime. Decisions, decisions.