Share Your Day

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    Alexandra - I'm impressed by your ability to find the silver lining in this situation!

Dante - you must feel so good! so light on your feet - literally! :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I agree with everyone Dante, your transformation is amazing!…you look great!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    D U D E !!! The island ain't too shabby either! Like wow!

Alexandra: I hope it proves a bit less painful than it sounds :neutral:
  • lauriekallis
    But what a way to break your streak!

I haven't camped that way in about 6 ??? years. But next week my younger son is coming by and borrowing the camping gear to take his girlfriend camping.
    Almost made me cry when he told me that. It was so pleasing to know those childhood trips had made such an impact on him that he wanted to share the experience.
  • PAV8888
    Sounds adventuresome Alexandra and sounds a lot like herding cats!!!!😹

Garfield sounds as if she needs to be herded into a nice climate controlled Hotel that has invested in refrigerating their quality seafood -- but what would I know!!!😹
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    They do make my life more interesting.

Have found a source for a large dog crate, so that's one of the bigger ticket items off the plate. We still have to hang a door on the pantry, but that is something that can wait a couple months while we get the money ready.
  • PAV8888
    Alexandra I wish that shipping were not such a major pain and expense (and our shipping costs from up north are downright insane). I just dropped off an extra large dog crate to a local shelter together with a bag of blankets and towels!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Ah, well. We're wanting a pittie so probably your crate might have been a bit big.

We can afford the dog day to day, it's just getting all the initial stuff that's a bit cramping on the budget. I think the door may have to wait until Girlfriend's school loan is paid off, which is two more months. But we've wanted a door on the pantry for ages. It will help with heating and cooling and allow us to have a sally port situation so we can bring groceries in through the garage without danger of the cats getting out into the garage. (They get out there, jump up on things, and climb up into the suspended ceiling over the pantry, and then cry because they're stuck. Unnecessary drama.)
  • PAV8888
    You need a herding dog!😹
  • PAV8888
    Note to self: if ever visiting Chicago as a tourist, ask @Athijade for info ahead of time! Of special interest when airlines insist on going that way!

Note to self #2: I've had a complete pie over two days. I've had a keg dinner for father's day. The chocolate pie is less calories than a "Keg" (local chain entry level steakhouse) Or definitely LESS stuffing. Maybe the chocolate pie has secret powers? Or the Keg's food has secret powers to account for the fact that dinner for two nowadays costs as much as dinner for three used to cost. PLUS a tad more. And no I am NOT exaggerating.
  • PAV8888
    Oof indeed. You mentioned too, I think, that it was with a government type agency? I've been told by US based friends that such jobs tend to offer better than average health (primarily) and pension (secondarily) benefits. Don't discount cooked egg whites as an awesome (and relatively not super expensive) source! Also... given how enterprising you are... I hear that home made yogurt is definitely a thing!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Oof indeed. You mentioned too, I think, that it was with a government type agency? I've been told by US based friends that such jobs tend to offer better than average health (primarily) and pension (secondarily) benefits. Don't discount cooked egg whites as an awesome (and relatively not super expensive) source! Also... given how enterprising you are... I hear that home made yogurt is definitely a thing!

Government work has great benefits like paid holidays (12 some years and 14 in election years), good PTO, low cost health insurance, and a pension. The pay though is on the low end. Alex and I are in the same state and I also have a government job so I know very well what it is like. It is hard to make it on the salary I am getting, even as a supervisor, due to the rising costs of housing, food, gas, and everything else.

Which is why I am polishing up the resume and will start the job hunt again.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    edited June 2022
    If you going to make a job move, now is the time. Lots of opportunities as people rethink work vs. lifestyle. Son changed jobs 2 month ago after ten miserable years. He’s much happier now. It’s work at the university at which he has put in enough time to retire in five years with full medical and a pension. He will need another job afterward but there’s a nice cushion to rely on.

Hubby retired military and the worked another 20 years for the state government. I retired from the state university. So we’re all low paid government worker but have really nice benefits. Also unless there’s complete reorganization, government jobs are secure.

I wish you luck finding a new job and a happier place to live. Amazing how better work situation makes the rest of your life more serene.
  • lauriekallis
    @Athijade - Reading Yooly's post made me feel very hopeful for you! I hope the job search is successful. No point in continuing a lifestyle that leaves you full of anxiety and depressed. I wish you luck.

Alexandra - Yes! I too have really noticed the increased costs - even though I dont eat meat. It is pretty crazy.
  • PAV8888
    from the land of zero pensions.... pensions look good! :flushed: