Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Oof indeed. You mentioned too, I think, that it was with a government type agency? I've been told by US based friends that such jobs tend to offer better than average health (primarily) and pension (secondarily) benefits. Don't discount cooked egg whites as an awesome (and relatively not super expensive) source! Also... given how enterprising you are... I hear that home made yogurt is definitely a thing!

Government work has great benefits like paid holidays (12 some years and 14 in election years), good PTO, low cost health insurance, and a pension. The pay though is on the low end. Alex and I are in the same state and I also have a government job so I know very well what it is like. It is hard to make it on the salary I am getting, even as a supervisor, due to the rising costs of housing, food, gas, and everything else.

Which is why I am polishing up the resume and will start the job hunt again.

Yeah, part of the reason we want to stay with this is not just that it's a good job while he deals with his mental health issues, but because two more years and he gets a pension, as he was working there when we met some years ago. It'd just be nice if Girlfriend was contributing now also instead of three years from now. (grin)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    First, I sincerely apologize for the abysmal spelling/grammar errors in my previous post. Had a sleepless night and wanted to get the post in fast. So no editing or catching spellcheck weirdness.

Prices for everything from gas to meat to bread to restaurants are up substantially. It’s tough on fixed or moderate incomes. We’re all having to cut back on nonessential things. Here’s hoping there’s a economic readjustment in the future.

The good news for Athijade may be that the worker shortage is resulting in increased wages. I’m sure there’s something out there to make her days happier.
    Options
    Tomorrow's the store, since we get paid at midnight and we're out of some things. Also tomorrow Girlfriend goes to the nice dentist I found. It won't be so traumatic for her as she's known for years she needed dentures. The only issue for us is the appointment was at four and we eat dinner at five. (sigh) We may have to have an alternate dinner, and I'll probably need an afternoon snack so I can adult successfully without eating at five on the dot.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    Don't they? This self employed gig really starts to loose its shine when you approach "retirement" age. :(
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    So far ten years of collecting pensions more than makes up for “meh” pay grades! Could have done better in the private sector I guess. But, I’m risk averse. Also had some experience with our parents lack of pension security.
    It’s not something you think about when you’re young but if you’re lucky you’ll live long enough to need the income. 🤔
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    You are a wonder Alexandra! I don’t think most of us could work with that much food every day and manage self control. And the awesome variety. I’ll bet you don’t need to consult recipes anymore either.
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    You are a wonder Alexandra! I don’t think most of us could work with that much food every day and manage self control. And the awesome variety. I’ll bet you don’t need to consult recipes anymore either.

I actually do for some things, because I can't remember whether it's the Kung Pao sauce or the Hunan sauce that has the sesame oil in it. There's several things like that. But I've made my basic sweet bread recipe so much that I can do that, or a basic yeast bread, from memory.

I have a weird quirk: If I smell it too much, I won't want to eat it. So yes, every year, I have a real problem actually eating Thanksgiving dinner. It's as though by smelling it part of me thinks I'm eating it, and so when the actual food is offered, it's as though I just got done with dinner and am overly full, close to the point of nausea.

Thus I can precook all damn day long. It's okay. I don't want to eat it. I actually have to stop at a certain point and do other things so that I will be able to eat dinner on the days where I do a lot of cooking. Also, I think the autism helps because if it's not for eating now, then I just won't, because that's the Rule, and it would be anxiety-producing, stomach-churningly WRONG to eat it now. It would be nice if I could get this to work on eating after dinner, but I can't just turn that on when I like. (wry grin) My brain just does it when it wants to.
    Options
    When I got up, the pork butt was ready to be taken out and cooled off, so that's happening now. I'll get that pulled, weighed out in portions, and bagged today.

I'm cramping pretty badly with TOM so I'm not going to push myself too much. I can always make the chicken taquitos and the samosas tomorrow.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    Home sick today. I have breakfast ordered to come to me. Working on a template for cover letters and then will hopefully start applying for a few positions today. Will see how much energy I have. Really don't feel well.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon Athijade ❣️

My day began early with a grocery store run for produce (veggies). Followed hubby down the other aisle repeating NO NO NO as he spotted sales or discounts we don’t need. He hates 😖 when I accompany him to the grocery.

Otherwise not much happening. Wondering how everyone else is doing because it’s been pretty quiet here.
    Options
    Got the pork pulled. I put it up in 6 ounce bags, which means we don't have a lot open at a time. But that's three sandwiches on a bun or two wraps, so it works out nicely for portioning.

Stuck the samosa filling and the taquito filling in the fridge, and I'm going to go have a nap. Fortunately dinner's sweet and sour pork with rice and veggies, and that's nice and easy.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Cover letter template sounds pretty mind numbing - either good or bad for a day you don't feel well. Hope you feel better though before the day is through.
    Alexandra - as always you amaze me.
    I'm chuckling imagining you following your husband, Yooly!

My day is pretty peaceful....spent the past three hours avoiding the work I was supposed to have done on Monday, then Tuesday.... Going to do it now though.
    We've had a few pretty hot days here - not up to your level of hot, Yooly, but feels like 40 (104) hot and humid in an urban core is plain old yucky. Today is slightly cooler. And the crazy construction project happening across the street from me - think two cement trucks, two monsterous garbage bins and a pretty impressive work crew of maybe 12??? people speaking Spanish - is quite today after being shutdown for not having work permits. Now the okay looking empty building is a boarded up invitation for every junky in the neighbourhood so I hope they get the permits in order soon :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,594 Member
    Options
    Say no to empty buildings that are being misused. Say no to over-hot or over-cold weather :) Say YEAH for pulled pork! :love: Say NO TO EVIL SALES DENIERS!!!! :rage:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    😈 sales denier here! Only worth buying if you need it or will use it. Otherwise you end up with two chocolate pies... which no one really needs.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You just had to remind me that it's sitting in the freezer didn't you???????🐹😡🤬
    Options
    I would eat a lot of chocolate pie if I had it. It would make me sick, but I would do it anyway. Cause TOM appetite is perverse, to put it mildly.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So, I DID eat the first one 3/4 between 10pm and 2am and 1/4 before noon. And gave myself an overload of chocolate pie--even though I both technically and actually stayed within maintenance calories in spite of pie.

But that was the next day by a father's day eating out overload (about 1500 Cal ABOVE maintenance).

I don't want to call it a rule; because it ain't. But I do try to avoid more than a couple of days in a row of overloads. Maybe hit some extra bunnies if possible! Plus usually an overload day may still be with me in the morning!!!! :lol:

It has been maintenance or a tad below since then... and no real desire to hit the pie, though I've gone through a couple of bars of the no mercy merci's (7/8 sticks gone so far!)

And today has been super bunny day because I made zucchini+carrots+onions+garlic+hunt's thick garlic and chili pepper sauce plus beet spaghetti... with only some Canadian bacon to add non bunnies... and I definitely hit the 1Kg mark!!!! :blush:
  • lauriekallis
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Oh....that chocolate pie.....sounds SOOOOOO good - I'd even pay full price!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Laurie!!!!!! Stop it.

Plus you've already had that one before!

Plus, let's face it, none of us NEED pie other than evil sales deniers!!!😡🤬