TEAM: The Slimsons (August)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! Should you need anything, please post here and your team Captains will answer as soon as possible.

Replies

• gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello Team Slimsons and Welcome to August!!

My name is Gloria @gjaholy33 I will be your captain for this month, which means motivating and keeping track of your weight. I am 43 yrs. old, been on this journey since 2004. It's been a long uphill battle, but I refuse to give up until I meet my long-time goal of 200lbs.

A little about me: I have always been obese since the age of 8 weighing 176lbs. Even with parents and doctors putting me on various diets as a child.

Over the past few years, I've been diagnosed with various diseases (i.e. asthma which has overlapped into COPD ergo the oxygen continuously, gastroenteritis, events & hiatal hernia, acid reflux, pulmonary hypertension, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol (as of January😥😥), chronic pain in the back and knees). This past 4 months I've been dealing with migraines, COPD-FLARE UPS and back spasms so have not been as active as I've like so I'll do my best; please be patient with me.
    Due to poor eating, antibiotics and Prednisone 😫😫😒😒
    Current Weight: 543.8lbs
    3.2lbs and 5 inches lost overall so far.

When you have God's Power as your strength acknowledge your faults, and then start making one small change at a time.
    THE IMPOSSIBLE IS POSSIBLE! Not giving up even if I need to start from the beginning

If interested follow my progress at:

https://youtube.com/user/gjaholy

Looking forward to reading everyone's post and knowing we will have a successful month. We're in this together 💪🏾❤

Welcome to August and let's make things happen this month together!!

REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!💪🏽💪🏽
    Your Captain,
    Glorious Gloria @gjaholy33👍🏾👍🏾❤
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    ABOUT THE CHALLENGES & REQUIRED WEIGHT POSTINGS

We are also going to be running (Optional) Mini-challenges again this month: Question of the Week (assuming I can remember to do that) and Daily Posts

First and foremost is that participation in these challenges is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours, but I would like to encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and thinking about our goals on a daily basis and it's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.

#1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

****End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognized in the thread as being part of the weekly "Winners Circle".

A side note as there has been a bit of confusion for new members in the past, this is not the same as the official results, which are weight based, this is just another tool to help you reach your weight loss goals.

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10 mile run, activity is activity, anything that gets you up and moving!).
    Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgement free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on the next day!

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

Your posts should look like this:
    Daily Post (Sunday/Date)

Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Goals/Day/Comments: (Tell us a brief description about your how your day went or your goals for the day)

The Question of the Week Challenge is a fun participation booster and we will be using it sometimes just as fun and sometimes it can help to foster new ideas for others as we all are different and have different experiences so sharing ideas can help someone else with motivation of freshening up their routine even!! Keep on the lookout for these questions.

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: August Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)

Please, please setup your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier for us to track your progress for the challenges and the weight loss!!

We'd like to help you be as successful as possible and if we can help in any way, please let us know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, we look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

We are committed to this group and to help where we can, and please let us know if we can help in any way!!

WE CAN DO THIS!!💃🏾💃🏾👍🏾👍🏾💪🏽💪🏽
    Welcome to August Challenge and let's make things happen this month together!!

REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!💪🏽💪🏽
    Your Captain,
    Glorious Gloria @gjaholy33👍🏾👍🏾❤❤
    ***Co-captain Vicky (@vicky2767)

• vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello team. My name is Vicky and I’m your co-captain. I have been helping helping Gloria.
    A little about me, I’m 47 married with 2 boys. The youngest just graduated HS. I work PT helping my husband with his business so some days are very physical and some not.

Three years ago I started a journey to truly learn to know myself and love myself. I was running/walking 4-6 miles 6 days a week. I was probably in the best shape I’d been in a long time. I had lost 20 pounds, but more than the weight I felt really really good physically and emotionally/mentally. Then my dad passed and I’ve been struggling ever since. I put back everything I lost and then some. And I’ve struggled to keep a consistent exercise routine. This year I’m determined to get myself back on track. Easier said than done. But I’m getting there. I say I’m a work in progress.

This is a great group of people who really offer positive support. I’m looking forward to August. We’re in this together.
  • katrkels11
    katrkels11 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey there! My name is Katrina and I’m 28. I’m a full time single parent to a 5 and 9 year old and I work a full time desk job. I’ve struggled with being overweight most of my life and am finally ready to make some changes! I’m excited to join and have some accountability again. Good luck everybody!
  • walk4today
    walk4today Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Daily Post
    Thursday 7/28
    Track yes
    Calories under
    Exercise yes
  • walk4today
    Options
    Oops! My post above is in the wrong month. Sorry!
  • Bemybestby60
    Bemybestby60 Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello My name is Mary. Retired 62 year old that has struggled with my weight since I went to college. Carbs are my weakness. Emotional eating my trigger. And I wish I never agreed to my husband's idea to have a TV in the kitchen. Easy for snacks and all of a sudden he knows how to frost a cake...even though he has never done one. 😆 But seriously been a member of the Slimsons for 2 years. My first year I lost 20lbs but this year I have been going back and forth losing and gaining the same 5lbs. Great support from my Slimson team members. Welcome new members and happy to see familiar Slimson names.
    We can shake August up.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    katrkels11 wrote: »
    Hey there! My name is Katrina and I’m 28. I’m a full time single parent to a 5 and 9 year old and I work a full time desk job. I’ve struggled with being overweight most of my life and am finally ready to make some changes! I’m excited to join and have some accountability again. Good luck everybody!
    Welcome and good luck
    walk4today wrote: »
    Oops! My post above is in the wrong month. Sorry!
    We got you.
    Hello My name is Mary. Retired 62 year old that has struggled with my weight since I went to college. Carbs are my weakness. Emotional eating my trigger. And I wish I never agreed to my husband's idea to have a TV in the kitchen. Easy for snacks and all of a sudden he knows how to frost a cake...even though he has never done one. 😆 But seriously been a member of the Slimsons for 2 years. My first year I lost 20lbs but this year I have been going back and forth losing and gaining the same 5lbs. Great support from my Slimson team members. Welcome new members and happy to see familiar Slimson names.
    We can shake August up.
    You got this Mary. Lean on us for more support if you need!

• vicky2767
    Options
    I am doing a walking challenge with 2 of my friends if anyone is interested I can let you know what we’re doing. Starts Aug 1
  • KakoHikes
    KakoHikes Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I’m 34/F, living in Oregon and am now a year into creating a healthier lifestyle. I’ve lost 55lbs and feel stronger, have better mental health and have improved my lab results.

My maintenance month turned into three months when I wasn’t looking, with last month being a free for all. I am ready to start getting back on track. Got my new stove so have many more healthier options for food open back up again

Main goals this month are to track and do the daily posts. I’m just going for a .5lb deficit each week and will probably not make my calories goals at first but got to start again somewhere. I’m taking part in a reddit loseit challenge as well and going to try and be more active on that discord.

I have the joy of getting a bartholin cyst for the first time. About 1 in 50 women get one, and now I get to be one of them. Some women get them chronically starting in their teens so I guess it could be worse. I probably had it longer but just noticed it last week when it started getting really uncomfortable. Went to the Dr, it's bigger than she is used to dealing with and she referred to a new OB since mine retired. They respond "fast" to referrals, in one or two weeks and then however long it takes to get in. I'm doing home treatments which will hopefully help but in the meantime any exercise I do will be very limited, even the idea of exercising with it is ouch.

I’ll end this TMI intro by saying I look forward to losing with all of you this month!
  • vicky2767
    edited July 2022
    Options
    KakoHikes wrote: »
    Hello all! I’m 34/F, living in Oregon and am now a year into creating a healthier lifestyle. I’ve lost 55lbs and feel stronger, have better mental health and have improved my lab results.

My maintenance month turned into three months when I wasn’t looking, with last month being a free for all. I am ready to start getting back on track. Got my new stove so have many more healthier options for food open back up again

Main goals this month are to track and do the daily posts. I’m just going for a .5lb deficit each week and will probably not make my calories goals at first but got to start again somewhere. I’m taking part in a reddit loseit challenge as well and going to try and be more active on that discord.

I have the joy of getting a bartholin cyst for the first time. About 1 in 50 women get one, and now I get to be one of them. Some women get them chronically starting in their teens so I guess it could be worse. I probably had it longer but just noticed it last week when it started getting really uncomfortable. Went to the Dr, it's bigger than she is used to dealing with and she referred to a new OB since mine retired. They respond "fast" to referrals, in one or two weeks and then however long it takes to get in. I'm doing home treatments which will hopefully help but in the meantime any exercise I do will be very limited, even the idea of exercising with it is ouch.

I’ll end this TMI intro by saying I look forward to losing with all of you this month!
    Hope you can have it removed fairly quickly and it’s not too painful.
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    cmneh1m0l9hn.png

16i2s9tx83az.png

tvn2cng4sr8c.png

• Namaste_Mama
    Namaste_Mama Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Namaste_Mama
    August wk 1
    PW 276.8
    CW 274.2
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m Missy, I’m a returning member of team Slimsons. I live in a ranch house with my furry pack of huskies and a bichon. I work FT and just applied for a MBA program and recently left my retail job to focus on main job and potential upcoming semester. Hoping to keep better on track this month with my hectic schedule.
  • KakoHikes
    Options
    User: KakoHikes
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Week 1
    PW: 187.8
    CW: 185.2
    Yay, I’m happy that big gain from last week went away… Am thinking it was mostly water weight from the sodium heavy fast food.
  • walk4today
    Options
    Daily Post
    Sunday 7/31
    Track yes
    Calories under
    Exercise yes, cleaning
  • KakoHikes
    Options
    Sunday 07/31
    Tracked: Yes
    Under Calories: No, 200 over
    Exercise: No
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    Daily Post

Sunday 7/31

Track yes
    Calories yes under
    Exercise no
    Water 80oz
    Steps 1,585
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Sunday

Tracked - Yes
    Calories - No
    Exercise - achieved step goal.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    Namaste_Mama
    August wk 1
    PW 276.8
    CW 274.2
    Nice loss!
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    Hi! I’m Missy, I’m a returning member of team Slimsons. I live in a ranch house with my furry pack of huskies and a bichon. I work FT and just applied for a MBA program and recently left my retail job to focus on main job and potential upcoming semester. Hoping to keep better on track this month with my hectic schedule.
    You got this !
    KakoHikes wrote: »
    User: KakoHikes
    Weigh in day: Sunday
    Week 1
    PW: 187.8
    CW: 185.2
    Yay, I’m happy that big gain from last week went away… Am thinking it was mostly water weight from the sodium heavy fast food.
    Nice loss!