Ketosis with supplements

Options
I’ve been reading a lot about supplements to put you in ketosis what are folks thoughts pros and cons? I also can’t figure out what is a scam and what is legit for a supplement??I just can’t seem to get into ketosis I’ve tried to be so strict I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Replies

• offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I have used a BHB powder mixed with water. Though not in ketosis does limit the damage when I do eat carbs. I test my ketone levels first thing in the morning (which is said to be when you are at your lowest) and when I have eaten carbs, I am amazed when it registers as .3. I truly believe it does something.

The past two weeks have been very stressful so not been very strict with the carbs. In fact, been way over, but I always managed a ketone reading in the morning. This week going to get back on track.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hey there, my feeling is

TLDR
    they don't REALLY help. They may show you are excreting ketones but that's because you ADDED ketones. Not necessarily because you're MAKING ketones. Going into ketosis is a process.

Longer version.
    I won't go through all the details of going into ketosis as I'm sure you've probably read a lot about that on your search. I've been in ketosis on and off for almost 10 years now. Just coming back to MFP and this group. It's my anchor and where I've learned so much. My feeling is it will serve someone better to figure out why they are not reaching ketosis rather than use a supplement. It can be a very tricky and moving target. At least for me anyway. There are so many things that factor in. In my personal experience stress is a big one. I know. worst answer ever, right? If you want to message me I'd be happy to go over anything as a second eye to your plan/woe/experience and maybe help with suggestions or support as I'm sure this group would be willing as well! Often it's the little things. Some of my things that seemed inconsequential but prevented ketosis were: Sugar-free gum, mayo (even homemade with butter or bacon grease) and dairy. :neutral: really missed my mayo. booooo.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    Hey there, my feeling is

TLDR
    they don't REALLY help. They may show you are excreting ketones but that's because you ADDED ketones. Not necessarily because you're MAKING ketones. Going into ketosis is a process.

Longer version.
    I won't go through all the details of going into ketosis as I'm sure you've probably read a lot about that on your search. I've been in ketosis on and off for almost 10 years now. Just coming back to MFP and this group. It's my anchor and where I've learned so much. My feeling is it will serve someone better to figure out why they are not reaching ketosis rather than use a supplement. It can be a very tricky and moving target. At least for me anyway. There are so many things that factor in. In my personal experience stress is a big one. I know. worst answer ever, right? If you want to message me I'd be happy to go over anything as a second eye to your plan/woe/experience and maybe help with suggestions or support as I'm sure this group would be willing as well! Often it's the little things. Some of my things that seemed inconsequential but prevented ketosis were: Sugar-free gum, mayo (even homemade with butter or bacon grease) and dairy. :neutral: really missed my mayo. booooo.

Thanks for this. I just been super busy and haven't had the mental bandwidth, and I feel like most of my posts lately end up being "well acksssshully..." about keto and ketosis over and over.

I've been doing low carb for 7 years, and I lost all my weight on keto over a year and a half and never used a single keto supplement. Low enough carbs long enough consistently. Watch out for the sneaky carbs in processed foods, and the lies on the label about certain sugar alcohols. Get good sleep, watch the stress, and move, right?

My question is how do you now you aren't in ketosis? If it's keto strips, those are only measuring ketones you spill into your pee. Breath and blood ketones are more accurate.

Anyway, I need more coffee to be more coherent, so I hope that made some sense. :joy:

Don't be a stranger, OP. Let us help you figure this out.

• bodydisrupt
    bodydisrupt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is not a supplement that you can take that will put your body into ketosis. Nutritional ketosis (different from diabetic ketosis) is a metabolic change after your body has exhausted its glycogen (carb storage)...you will then use fat stores. A blend of very low carbs, low calories and exercise and you can change your metabolism to use fat as its primary fuel source. It works!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @stacybw1 - baconslave makes a good point. Unless you're using an accurate measure that is saying you "aren't" in ketosis.... perhaps you are in light ketosis and don't know it. That is enough to lose but like most good things, it takes time.

In my case I only every used keto strips as a tool. I simply used it for encouragement during the first weeks a signal that I must be doing SOMETHING right. I never really cared terrible if it WAS or how much I was because I could feel when something had changed and when I had that feeling the number on the scale started dropping. So that, for me, was ketosis. A few of the symptoms being acetone type bad breath, no hunger and lots of energy. And I will tell you it was miserable to get there. I had to be SO strict. Like I said. No extras really. Fat and meat and very small amounts of green veg. That's it. No mayo, no butter, no dairy, no nuts, no sugar alcohols, no nothin. No fun. lol!
    But! thankfully it's different for everyone. :smile: