Jumpstart January 2023 Challenge

baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one is starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, I have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP those resolutions this year.
It's the perfect time to Jumpstart your health!

I do go on and on about one B-word. The Basics. Why? Because they're important. It may not be sexy, or catchy, but keeping the low-carb Basics locked-in is where it's at if you are wanting to actually succeed long-term. Minding the Basics will continue to serve you all the way to your goal weight and will keep you in maintenance.

So what are these Basics?
  • Planning ahead!!!
  • Staying under carbs
  • Staying under calories
  • Logging and measuring
  • Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
  • Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
  • Getting enough water
  • Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because you must! "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There were lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

And some of us didn't do so hot. Myself included. Hey, it's stressful during the holidays sometimes. In this case we'll pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Let us know your resolutions, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month if you aren't much into resolutions. Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan Basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. Anything is fair game as long as it's in pursuit of your health or fitness. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Before you start, think about your goals. For measurable resolutions, we recommend getting a baseline.

Here are some ideas (abridged from FIT_Goat in this post For Those with New Year Resolutions):
  • Get an average of your most recent weigh-ins for a good idea of your starting weight.
  • Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
  • Take body measurements and pictures. To make sure they are accurate, take several sets of measurements and average them. Or watch this video on how to measure yourself so that you are actually measuring the same spots every time. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
  • Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.
  • If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement, like how many cigs or packs per day. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make.
Remember changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror. The scale is lazy and doesn't always readily reflect genuine progress. Measurements and pics will help you really see what's going on behind the scenes. And speaking of invisible progress, how you feel (improved health and/or energy) are great markers that your change is working.

Sooooo...go ahead and introduce yourself and/or post your goals when you are ready. Challenge starts on the 1st.

Here's a sample format for how you can report on various goals if you'd like:
Monday 1/1:

Water: Yep. :flowerforyou:
Electrolytes Good: :flowerforyou:
Logged Food: :flowerforyou:
Exercise as Planned: Strength training :flowerforyou:
At or Under Carb Level: :flowerforyou:
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! :flowerforyou:
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! :flowerforyou:
7/7

This is a fresh new year.
Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,933 Member
    Today is my birthday (ribeye shrimp dinner at home with a few friends) ... I have decided I am going to start high protein low carb after the holidays ... I am still in quite a bit of pain with my ankle so exercise is still on the back burner ...with my daughter's help she will help me meal prep ....I hope everyone has a safe New Years :)
  • dhemond
    dhemond Posts: 3 Member
    Hi and Happy New Year! I am new to joining a group, but not new to myfitnesspal. I'm trying to start the year with keto for weight loss. I really need to cut back on the sugars (honey, maple syrup). I've used myfitnesspal to track my food and carbs, but I need a way to plan and prep my meals to stay disciplined. Could anyone recommend an app with meal planning for prep (and a shopping list as a bonus)? Thanks in advance!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    dhemond wrote: »
    Hi and Happy New Year! I am new to joining a group, but not new to myfitnesspal. I'm trying to start the year with keto for weight loss. I really need to cut back on the sugars (honey, maple syrup). I've used myfitnesspal to track my food and carbs, but I need a way to plan and prep my meals to stay disciplined. Could anyone recommend an app with meal planning for prep (and a shopping list as a bonus)? Thanks in advance!

I have used wholesumyum.com which I love
  • Born2Run1958
    Born2Run1958 Posts: 23 Member
    I am trying to get back in the saddle again. One of my main goals (there are many) is to cut way back on alcohol. Thanksgiving, my birthday, then Christmas, then New Years. I know all I have done is eat and drink. Grateful for all I have, but overindulgence is not good for anyone. So, with that said I would love to be a part of this group and go with my new motto. Time For Me in 2023! Happy New Year to all!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 my bday was yesterday! I splurged on a Cobb salad and sangria. If you have free weights maybe you can get in some upper body work while healing your ankle.

All the holiday baked goods are now out of the house so I can start fresh tomorrow. I'll be aiming to be more in tune with my body, scheduling activity to prevent cop outs, recognizing boredom snacking and more complete meal planning.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 my bday was yesterday! I splurged on a Cobb salad and sangria. If you have free weights maybe you can get in some upper body work while healing your ankle.

All the holiday baked goods are now out of the house so I can start fresh tomorrow. I'll be aiming to be more in tune with my body, scheduling activity to prevent cop outs, recognizing boredom snacking and more complete meal planning.

Happy belated birthday .. mine was 12/29... I have a home gym that I might try to use
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Today is my birthday (ribeye shrimp dinner at home with a few friends) ... I have decided I am going to start high protein low carb after the holidays ... I am still in quite a bit of pain with my ankle so exercise is still on the back burner ...with my daughter's help she will help me meal prep ....I hope everyone has a safe New Years :)

My Dr is against me going on the high protein low carb diet since I have kidney issues ...He also doesn't like keto so now I feel completely loss ...I think I am just going to count calories for now ...and then go on keto down the road since I feel great on that diet and not let my Dr know
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited January 2023
    Happy belated Birthday @tishsmith101 & @Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ wishing you a year of health and progress :)

x0d95gs9n1m5.jpg

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and an awesome fresh jump start! I'm going to move from keto <50g ranges to low carb <100g ranges this month - easier.

@Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ my cardio/heart doc recommended mediterranean after a keto jumpstart with a focus on the fresh veggies and heart healthy fats. I think a lot of the foods overlap.

just googled the mediterranean diet info and there's keto-mediterranean and other keto-blend programs.... Perhaps the doctor wants what? a lower protein % to reduce strain on the kidneys? (by increasing non-starchy veggies?) Mostly i was thinking reducing fats (from 50% to 25/30%) and increasing non-starchy freggies... it gets so confusing. mostly I don't want to re-ignite a voracious appetite... which is why I went keto - to break the crazymaking appetite.

~ so my focus this year is 3 part
    -- nourish my body (eat enough, not too much, not too little); maintain or as able, lose weight
    -- increase duration, strength, range of motion through intentional movement
    -- mental encouragement and strengthening to stay focused on self-care

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    Happy belated Birthday @tishsmith101 & @Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ wishing you a year of health and progress :)

x0d95gs9n1m5.jpg

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and an awesome fresh jump start! I'm going to move from keto <50g ranges to low carb <100g ranges this month - easier.

@Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ my cardio/heart doc recommended mediterranean after a keto jumpstart with a focus on the fresh veggies and heart healthy fats. I think a lot of the foods overlap.

just googled the mediterranean diet info and there's keto-mediterranean and other keto-blend programs.... Perhaps the doctor wants what? a lower protein % to reduce strain on the kidneys? (by increasing non-starchy veggies?) Mostly i was thinking reducing fats (from 50% to 25/30%) and increasing non-starchy freggies... it gets so confusing. mostly I don't want to re-ignite a voracious appetite... which is why I went keto - to break the crazymaking appetite.

~ so my focus this year is 3 part
    -- nourish my body (eat enough, not too much, not too little); maintain or as able, lose weight
    -- increase duration, strength, range of motion through intentional movement
    -- mental encouragement and strengthening to stay focused on self-care

Thank you for the belated birthday wishes ...Happy New Year to you ... He is a new Dr. for me ...my old doctor moved to Hawaii (jealous and boy do I miss him) ..I am not sure about this Dr. he doesn't seem to want to listen to me ....I absolutely love keto (it is one of the more easier diets for me) except when I break my ankle and tore ligaments and tendons and have had to have 2 surgeries ...crossing fingers nothing happens for 2023 Thanks I will look up the Mediterranean diet
  • LifeChangz
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 ~ keto is pretty easy. Hope your ankle continues to improve - i can see how that would really knock you off your feet!
  • southernmissgirl
    southernmissgirl Posts: 22 Member
    Monday 1/1:

Water: 6 cups
    Logged Food: yes
    Exercise as Planned: walked 25 minutes @ 3mph
    At or Under Carb Level: yes
    At or Under Calorie Limit: yes
    Planned Day Ahead: yes
    6/6
  • LifeChangz
    doing ok, past the holiday feasting and back on regular foods, regular days.

lunch did a chicken broth eggflower soup with cauliflower rice instead of white rice.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    My focus this month will be on healing through intermittent fasting and getting back to clean eating. I’m going to stop my Diet Coke and Starbucks habits to cut back on artificial sweeteners. Addressing better health should result in some dropped weight. Heck, cutting down on snacking and reducing processed food should be a step in the right direction, right? Happy New Year everyone!
  • tishsmith101
    Included in my January plans is a return to bullet proof coffee to start my days. I can really only have it in the winter but it certainly makes for an easy, no brainer breakfast. Had a dentist appt yesterday afternoon so that kept my food intake down for the day LOL. Strength training yesterday as well, chest-lats and core. Putting a workout reminder on my calendar for lunch right now!
  • baconslave
    ARGH.
    So between the medicine wrecking literally everything and holiday eating. I have gained like 16 lb. Yay...
    Anyway. Onward and downward. Back to work
    Goal- cal deficit and lower carbs. Less booze.
    Exercising at least 5 days a week.
    SW: 188.8 (what in the world. Thanks meds)
    GW: less obviously

• LifeChangz
    @baconslave ~ yes! onward, downward!

@tishsmith101 ~ so why bullet coffee only in winter?
    ~ i do a chocolate protein powder coffee in the morning and it's about 1 thing I don't want to give up....

@taylok23 ~ yes, agree, all those steps should help!

my urge to restart was medical crap.... i am trying to hold onto that to keep going.... I'd rather feel better _____ than eat _____. Getting started is rough, and so is keeping going - can't tell you how many times I crash at Valentines b/c of the candy... so going to not do that this year. I really want to get healthier. It's why I'm here.... have to hold onto that.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    I have decided to just count calories this month and then start keto next month .. I am not able to do a lot of meal prepping with my foot is why I am waiting
  • tishsmith101
    @LifeChangz just because I only drink hot coffee in the winter LOL

Wow scale is up to 175 this morning from 171 last week. Not quite sure how I managed that. I thought I was eating well but I guess not. Did some weights and a 20 min indoor bike ride yesterday. Will repeat that today. Starting a new group fitness challenge at my trainer's gym come Sunday. Looking to reduce fat and increase muscle.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Happy new year all! I’m doing well on my fasts this week which seems to have helped shed a little water weight. I drank my last latte for the time being yesterday and had it at lunch to break my fast. I think the artificial sweeteners, albeit sugar free, aren’t great for me and either that or the almond milk gives me stomachaches. Also no Diet Coke yesterday or today. I had black coffee with a little monkfruit sweetener today- not my fav but it is doable. Cut my carbs down over the last few days too. I’ve tried to shift my mindset to improving health outcomes rather than focus solely on weight, and it makes me happier. Now to avoid the work stress!
  • baconslave
    I'm only going to report new lows. So if I haven't had one in a few days, I would assume we have a yo-yo situation going on for me.
    Over the day and tonight I lost 1.8lb of the water weight but there is more. I can feel it and my skin on my abdomen and thighs hurt.
    CW: 187.0

anyway..
    Jan 3:
    Logged Food: :+1:
    Exercise as Planned: :+1: 83 min of walking and Sansone vids
    At or Under Carb Level: :+1:
    At or Under Calorie Limit: :+1:

Were my carbs low? No. But they were less and this week my goal is to day by day draw them down to a mid-level. Not sure I'll make it close to keto level this week but I'll be closer by next week.