Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Scoutmom, our son weighed 10.9 lbs at birth and at six weeks a whopping 16 lbs!….he continued growing and chubbing up until he was a sophomore in h.s….he grew 5 inches taller in one year!…he is now 49 and he is 6’8” and weighs about 250 to 260!….he is on a police hockey team and twice a year he does 20 to 25 miles on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia and N. Carolina…he was a BoyScout and loved it….he was one rank away from Eagle when he lost interest in scouting and became interested in girls lol…he still has to watch what he eats and can’t go overboard or he gains…he missed out on a lot of activities in middle school by being too heavy or being uncomfortable in clothes made for sports…I dont think you are ever too young to learn about eating healthy and realizing how good exercise is for you…I think it is wonderful you are helping him and joining in with him…
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Philmont is this super intensive high adventure scouting trip. Essentially 12 days backpacking through the mountains and living off the land. Everything you have is strapped to your back. He’s technically not old enough but he skipped a grade so he got in on a loop hole. It sounds terrible to me but it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. He is so excited to go!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    Gym day which generally leaves me hungry all day. I need the exercise but not the hungries!
    I haven’t been counting exercise calories because it’s usually only around 300. But maybe adding a couple hundred back into the food allowance would make me less prone to crazy snacking all day. Giving that a try today.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Yoolypr I usually eat back 25% to 50% of my exercise calories….if I don’t, I am starving later….it’s amazing how a swim break to eat some yogurt or a banana or a protein bar and some water helps you power through!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    So far today has been pretty good….coffee for breakfast, roast beef sandwich and tomato soup for lunch…I took grandaughter to school, ran a few errands and picked her up after school…nothing exciting!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I am so proud of everyone here. Even when we have bad days, we support each other and look at what we can do better. We really are trying to figure out WHY we do what we do.

As for me, I messed up royally last night. The cats had their first vet appointment at 5pm. Which was stupid of me because it was dinner time and I was already hungry. By the time I got home, I just did not care and I ordered in fast food. And WAY overate on top of that. Today I feel so bloated and my digestive track hates me. Ugh.

So why did it happen?
    (1) I let myself get too hungry
    (2) I messed up my meal plan this week and didn't have leftovers like originally planned

So I learned something about making sure my planning is better for those sorts of night.
  • scoutmom1981
    Options
    @Athijade You messed one day up. Not that big a deal in the long run. More importantly you learned from it so that it won't happen again. It's rough when life gets in the way of schedule.

maybe you can find a few fast food places that have less calorie dense choices. My not be as awesome as a quarter pounder or a Mexican pizza but it is quick and won't throw you completely off. I also focus more on my weekly totals. It all comes out in the wash!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hey the not let yourself get too hungry is a good idea.

I used to have some "go-to", stupid pet tricks... maybe I should think of re-implementing them myself! :wink:

Too hungry to think and not willing to drive home and cook before eating....

mc'd's vanilla cone... sold as about 240 Cal in Canada. They are approximately 170 to 190 Cal per 100g when you look at Dairy Queen and McD's as an average. I haven't weighed one recently but they used to be around 150g sometimes more... so closer to 280 Cal on average. However, the quick sugar hit is usually enough to perk me up and if I give it a few minutes to settle before continuing on I am no longer immediately hungry... which gives me time to get back home and cook instead of eating EVERYTHING :smiley: And in actual fact tends to keep me going for a good 2 to 3 hours. Which in my case is not a bad result for the calories! However a Magnum on a stick doesn't serve the same purpose as a second or third one will usually insist on following!

while at home the equivalent for me would be apples! I like Ambrosias as they are less acidic, or at least they feel that way to me. at 52 Cal per 100g a lb of apples comes in below the McD's vanilla cone... and I have some questions as to whether I would be immediately willing to eat something else after downing a lb of apples while cooking or contemplating what to order... it might even make me unwilling to order since I would no longer be hungry! It doesn't pay to shop or order while hungry :wink: A more "normal" person might just limit themselves to a large apple or a couple of smaller ones instead of aiming for a lb... but hey... a lb is just like a small chocolate bar... only takes more room! :lol:

And there is always the option of pre-cutting them and coating them in lemon juice and adding cinnamon... I digress.... I think I'm going to go cut me some apples! :blush:

PS other "favorites" for fast food include chili (wendy's or tim's) or soups (tim's, watch for the bun), or, let's be honest... the "single sandwich to keep me going" idea at McD's, which for me is usually some combination of 3 to 400 Cal. Egg mcMuffin, no butter, extra egg sometimes, definitely max onions. Or egg mcMuffin plus a meat patty ordered separately and put together. Or hamburger single or double or mcdouble with or without a side egg depending on time, calories, and hunger level! :blush:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Athijade I agree with you!…our small but mighty group is always so supportive!…

I also know how it is to be so perfect a few days, you start feeling like you have a handle on it and then out of the blue a switch goes off in your brain and WAM you start eating paint chips off of the walls!…sometimes you silently cry while you are eating!…or you beat yourself up mentally and other times you get so angry with yourself for eating that you spit the food out and throw the rest in garbage…I have been there so many times…I have hidden food and made secret stops to eat food in the car….and once I blow it, the race is on to eat as much as I can because tomorrow I will start over…why do I do it?….

I hope my new meds help me overcome some of these habits!…binge eating, OCD, and ADHD and impulsiveness are all symptoms of an underlying problem…I think I am finally heading in the right direction addressing my issues…throw it all together with the chaos in my life right now and it’s no surprise I am overwhelmed and depressed….

I hope you can find some answers like I am…the WHY is as important as the solution!
  • scoutmom1981
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Been a back and forth week. My weight is down. Woo hoo. My TOM showed up after 15 years. WTH!! My body doesn't know what is going on.

Yesterday was an interesting experiment. I was hungry in the early afternoon but I made it under my calories without too much fuss. I am going to try again today and see how it goes.

I'm worried about this weekend. Weekends are when I struggle. All that free time leads to lots of boredom snacking. We have a lot of stuff planned so hopefully I won't be too bored.

My son's weight is coming down too. He's super excited that he is down below 200 and it wasn't hard. He only weighs once a week.
  • Athijade
    Options
    I am getting back at it today for sure. I ordered in again last night, but did some Indian food so not AS bad as McDonalds. Got some chicken Korma, naan, and dumplings. Realized I did not like the dumplings so did not eat them (a big deal since normally I would eat them anyway because I bought them) and had half of everything else. I will eat the rest of the Korma, rice, and naan for dinner tonight but I can fit it into my day.

Just finished my meal plan for next week. May post it in the What's for Dinner thread to keep myself accountable. I also finally put up the whiteboard in the kitchen so I have my plan written on that. Hard to mess up when it is right in my face!
  • scoutmom1981
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Just finished my meal plan for next week. May post it in the What's for Dinner thread to keep myself accountable. I also finally put up the whiteboard in the kitchen so I have my plan written on that. Hard to mess up when it is right in my face!

I also find that prepping helps a lot. Like I make all my breakfast and lunch stuff the night before. If I have to get up and do it in the morning or if I do it when I am hungry then I would rather not. It's all about ease. If I am tired or hungry I'm going to go with what is easiest.

I liked some of the other comments about pre packing snacks. Same thing I think applies to meals
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan!….it is hard for me to plan meals because our life is so hectic right now…some days John has to get out of here and we end up at favorite restaurants and then eat way too much!…and other days I have been so “ down” that I don’t care what we eat as long as it’s easy…I can’t make myself measure or weigh food and I grab anything not moving, and then there are days, especially on sun. when daughter and her husband take over the kitchen!…but I am working on making myself do a food plan for at least a few days at a time…
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well.... I'm keeping to the soft plan of nuking some bunnies every morning more or less :blush:

Then they're there and ready to go. And I can always do something REALLY quick with them. From just simple jarred pasta sauce with what have you on top, to putting them on the side of chicken, fish, or beef (which I mostly don't bother with even though they're all sitting in the freezer), to just eating them with ready made mash which I'm about to do in a second because I want something fast before heading out, to nuking a frozen or pouched meal and adding them to it.... hey... think of it as incredibly low end pre-cooking and portioning :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I made the bunnie pot this morning and even had a third of it for lunch! Then we went out with the puppy. And on the way back stopped at the grocery store! :hushed:

It happens that I don't normally grab spring rolls because I don't particularly like the dry vermicelli they are filled with... but these rolls looked to be filled only with veggies! Summer rolls they were called (which means they're SUPPOSED to have vermicelli... but they didn't. It was more of a california roll ingredient plus the veggies all wrapped in a rice wrap!

What are the chances the 4 pieces (two full sized rolls, and I mean FULL size) were the 250g claimed on the box? 719g later I am here to tell you that 250g they were NOT! :wink: I've logged them in at 1000 Cal. Not sure if high or low as I didn't separate and weight the avocado/california roll type filling.

BUT... tasty! AND NOT ON SALE YOOLY!!!! :naughty::unamused:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I have decided I really don’t like Panda Express….my husband says it’s like “ crack” but I just don’t get it…I don’t like my food all “ willy-nilly” anyway and egg rolls are just left over vegetables put in a roll and fried in God knows what….I don’t like Chipotles either, same reason….I went with my grandaughter over the holidays and it made my stomach roll watching them slop that food on a tortilla!…I do like Wendy’s chili but if I think about leftover burgers in it, I can’t eat it….

I had a good day!…yay!….John has a cold but hopefully it will be gone before the doctor calls to replace his hip!…I stayed busy all day and stayed on track!
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I’m not as concerned about the food combinations at fast food places but I am very picky about cleanliness. As the work force is cut post pandemic there seems to be less care in sanitation. You know - wiping down tables, dirty floors, cleaning bathrooms. Self serve areas are messy. Honestly we don’t do much going out to eat but I’m only going to places that are at least surface clean. Although I know what goes on behind the counter can be vastly different from what the customer sees. I’ve worked in restaurants during my college days.

PAV- congratulations on conquering the sale demons. Bet those summer rolls were worth the calories! I’ve made my own rolls but wrangling those slippery wet rice wrappers and chopping veggies just is too difficult for the inexperienced. And you’re stuck with leftover wrappers and unused veggies unless you plan to feed a crowd. Better to pay the pros and enjoy.
  • Athijade
    Options
    Yesterday I felt like my stomach was an endless void of hunger. No way could I actually BE as hungry as I felt so I tried to ignore it some. I mean, I would eat and immediately feel hungry again. I had a HUGE lunch/breakfast of steak hash with 3 eggs and a side of zucchini... and I felt hungry. How? Ugh.

But I got through the day at calories so I survived. Hoping today goes a little better.

I am going to start getting up earlier so that I can get in a quick morning stretch before work. Day one of that and I feel pretty good. I also got a new alarm which brightens up slowly like daylight and also has birds singing. While I still set my old alarm JUST in case, I am hoping by using this I wake up more naturally and thus have more energy. So new alarm is set for 7am and old alarm is set for 7:30 to be safe.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Yesterday I felt like my stomach was an endless void of hunger. No way could I actually BE as hungry as I felt so I tried to ignore it some. I mean, I would eat and immediately feel hungry again. I had a HUGE lunch/breakfast of steak hash with 3 eggs and a side of zucchini... and I felt hungry. How? Ugh.

Oh I know this feeling so well. I ponder not HOW but WHY? Because obviously it’s not physical hunger. Why do I experience this emotional/mental hunger? What triggers it? Even after losing nearly 100 lbs., I still have to guard against irrational hunger. Some days I’m successful and other days I completely fail! I work to have more successful days when I can control the crazy impulse to overeat.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I'm with Yooly on that! :neutral: