Shape Shifters Team Chat - MARCH 2023

Replies

• CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 510 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal Thank you for responses, I really appreciated reading it. It's been a wild ride, I'm sure with some second hand trauma thrown in.
    My daughter is set up with all the resources possible in our area to set her up with life long support. She has so much more support than many people with mental health illness, I sometimes feel guilty for it. This is all government and non-profit covered. I called the Childrens Aid society who have in turn placed her in foster care. Typically the Children's Aid Society doesn't do this, but agreed due to the trauma her living at home has caused towards her sisters. The catch is that it is voluntary, and if she decides to come back home before age 18 there is nothing I can do about it. I doubt this will happen as she has labelled me as "bad" and my husband as "worst person ever". This is all part of her illness, she sees everything in black and white with no in between, and has very little emotional regulation. Mix this in with the narcissistic and manipulative behaviours. It's tough. Tough for her to feel this way all the time and tough for those that interact with her.

My tooth is mostly better since the root canal, I have another appointment tomorrow with a dentist I used to work with to check the balance of my bite. My mouth guard is a custom made one at the dentist, I don't find that there are pieces coming off of it so much as I am leaving dents in the material where I bit hard. My experience from being a dental hygienist is to forgo the store bought night guard and go with a professional one if possible. They tend to fit much better, treat you TMJ more kindly and discourage grinding more. Consistent use of nightguards general reduces the behaviour even when you don't wear it.

@Armygirlarmyof1 Thank you for the well wishes, I hope your scan goes well. Losing bone density is a scary thing.

Sorry for the super long post.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    Wanted to ask yall's opinion on something... now that Fitbit is getting rid of all of their challenges, I doubt I will upgrade to a 5th one, although the time they made the announcement, I was starting to consider it. Now I'm wondering if I should look into a Garmin or an Apple watch. Has anyone recently switched from Fitbit (last couple of years) to one of those other brands? I would love to hear your positive/negative experiences, in order to help me make up my mind about them.

My main reason for using a watch is to track my steps and I LOVE the challenges...read that as LOVE, LOVE, L - O - V - E them! lol I'm going to do a little research, but would love some help if you have some thoughts to share.

Thanks!
    Jess
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 510 Member
    I love my Apple Watch but switched from Fitbit more than a couple years ago.
    Apple tracks your steps well, you might see them show up as less if you switch. My dad switched last year and Fitbit definitely counted more arm movements as steps.
    I prefer Apple because it wasn’t all about steps, more overall wellness. There are still challenges and you can compete with others as well.
    If it’s all about steps Apple might not be the right fit.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited March 2023
    @jessicakrall8 My main reason for using a watch is to track my steps
    I bought a Vivomove 3 Garmin watch - its a nice fit; sometimes finicky when I try to track workouts but overall I'm happy with it I just don't have any friends b/c they're all with Fitbit I gave up on it
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 373 Member
    edited March 2023
    I'm so sorry to hear of sweet Petey's passing, Patrice! He looks like such a "lovey" dog! It's always tough to let them go when it's time, but I'm sure you will experience "signs" to show you he's not really gone and he will always live in your heart! I let my last cat go at age 18 and my current cat will be turning 18 in June. She seems okay now, but it usually starts suddenly, so one never knows. I hope his memory will be a blessing always! <3
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 508 Member
    I'll find out Wednesday or Thursday myvscan results
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited March 2023
    Thank you for your supportive comments @Walela617! Everyone has been so kind and thoughtful, which has been a great comfort to us. 🙏🏼 We were very involved in raising funds and engaging the community in making improvements to our nearby dog park.

Petey’s name is on a plaque at the park and he was well-known for his friendly disposition and treat-seeking behavior! People joked about him being the ‘doggy mayor,’ a local rock star 🤩, etc. — so endearing and supportive! He’s pretty well memorialized among your neighbors in Boston, too, but I’ve droned on long enough — 😬

Here are some photos from local Facebook pages and a ‘feel good’ local newspaper story about a dog mural in our neighborhood for anyone interested:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/DogsDelRay/permalink/5977070825713779/

https://thezebra.org/2021/05/07/the-dogs-of-del-ray-mural-at-pat-miller-square-unveiled-dedicated-by-awla/

Not sure if this one is an open group or you have to join so I’ll just try it out —
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02hrm41dKPd12LVcHpmhTfznBaLd7PRzNdj2RCgkuRFi56YZBwp8U3wbHg3dHuYDxQl&id=100064785844170
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @brttny7979 - Your mental health is equally important for overall wellbeing! I’m so glad you enjoyed your vacation!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Thinking of you @Armygirlarmyof1 and hoping your results bring good news!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    I’m paying attention to the watch conversation, too, and appreciate your insights @jessicakrall8, @CasandraW, @LaurieWrobo.

Also, I had forgotten about your dental hygienist experience @CasandraW. Now I remember the great tips you had about lemons and other topics related to dental care —- Thanks so much on the professional mouth guard recommendation!

We all deserve the best care possible, and it’s so important to have a health advocate. Good for you and the rest of your daughters’ circle of support! ❤️‍🩹
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,452 Member
    Here is todays card. Happy Tuesday everyone <3
    flskvzsn3a2y.jpg
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 355 Member
    edited March 2023
    JenHul
    Monday weigh in day
    PW: 176.2
    CW: 175.4

Steps
    Mar 13= 10,746
    Mar 14= 7947
    Mar 15= 7571
    Mar 16= 16,200
    Mar 17= 9240
    Mar 18= 9506
    Mar 19= 4992

I did really well with my water intake this last week, still need to be more consistent with logging, and exercise, however I'm happy with my results! Have a great Day Shape Shifters :smile:
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal love the dog mural! There is a small town here in Colorado where the mayor is actually a dog named Parker. Maybe we need more of that!

@CasandraW I'm so sorry about your daughter's mental health difficulties. I can't even imagine how difficult that would be. Hugs. Unfortunately, I can imagine the tooth issues and you have my sympathies. NO FUN AT ALL.

@jessicakrall8 I bought an Applewatch in 2019 and a Garmin last year. Each one has its one advantages. My garmin is more accurate for distances, gives me more feedback on my heartrate zones, candence, elevation adjusted speed, etc., but the Applewatch is compatible with Peloton and I use their bike and apps frequently. Apple picks a monthly challenge for you based on your past use so they get progressively harder and I can get a little compulsive about them, but I joined a Apple group challenge through MyFitnessPal a year ago and met some nice people! I can't quite remember how I found it.

@Pupowl - I agree with the card. A thank you is always a good idea. Thank you for taking the time to post these daily thoughts. I look forward to them!

• SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    @Armygirlarmyof1 I'm very curious about your Dexscan experience! I thought about doing it, but have been kind of scared the results.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited March 2023
    @JenHul - Great job! You had some big step days, too. Keep up the good work!

@SavageMrsMoose - I like the sense of humor in that small town. I hope Parker has more tail wagging than barking! 🐾

I had a Dexascan that my doctor prescribed after age 55. My doctor told me the scan showed I had osteopenia, which means I have lower bone density, but I can take steps to improve it. She told me to add weight bearing exercises to my workouts, which is something the personal trainer focuses on with me. However, I only meet with him at the YMCA twice a week for 30 minutes so I might need to add more. Maybe I should try to build in a plank exercise each day or something. I also started taking a calcium supplement at her recommendation. I like the caramel calcium chew because it satisfies my sweet tooth, too. I have one in the morning with my coffee and another one after dinner.

I’m not doing as well as I should to increase my Vitamin D intake but I now buy more milk. I thought my daily whole milk Greek yogurt would help but it doesn’t include any Vitamin D. I assumed it was fortified milk, I guess. I like the protein that the yogurt gives me so I think I’ll check my macronutrient balance at my usual snack time and select either yogurt or a glass of milk with my fruit, depending on what I need.

Thanks for the reminder to pay more attention to my bone density @Armygirlarmyof1 and @SavageMrsMoose! I’m hoping to get another scan this year to compare results. I’m not sure if my medical insurance will cover the cost this year but I’ll check into when I can do it again and consider paying the cost myself— I think it’s about $200 near where I live.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member

@jessicakrall8 I bought an Applewatch in 2019 and a Garmin last year. Each one has its one advantages. My garmin is more accurate for distances, gives me more feedback on my heartrate zones, candence, elevation adjusted speed, etc., but the Applewatch is compatible with Peloton and I use their bike and apps frequently. Apple picks a monthly challenge for you based on your past use so they get progressively harder and I can get a little compulsive about them, but I joined a Apple group challenge through MyFitnessPal a year ago and met some nice people! I can't quite remember how I found it.

@SavageMrsMoose I am motivated by challenges and love ones where they can be customized and include others...I also love earning badges, so I'm leaning toward the Garmin...I want to make sure it can be connected by MFP and used with my iPhone...any issues with connectivity or synchronization that you've noticed? I wish I had a Peloton, but that will be a few years down the road just because of budgeting and working on paying off my kitchen remodel. I went to the Garmin site and found lots of information too and it looks a little more affordable than the Apple watch, although I'm usually an Apple gal (phone, iPad, etc). Thanks for your input. Which Garmin model did you have...I am leaning towards the Vivomove 3 with the pink band an gold trim. It's lovely and has all of the features I'm looking for I think...not 100% yet though...thoughts?

Jessica
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member
    Wanted to ask yall's opinion on something... now that Fitbit is getting rid of all of their challenges, I doubt I will upgrade to a 5th one, although the time they made the announcement, I was starting to consider it. Now I'm wondering if I should look into a Garmin or an Apple watch. Has anyone recently switched from Fitbit (last couple of years) to one of those other brands? I would love to hear your positive/negative experiences, in order to help me make up my mind about them.

My main reason for using a watch is to track my steps and I LOVE the challenges...read that as LOVE, LOVE, L - O - V - E them! lol I'm going to do a little research, but would love some help if you have some thoughts to share.

Thanks!
    Jess
    I've never had a Fitbit, but I've been using Garmin watches for quite a few years now (started with a Forerunner 920XT, then a Fenix 3HR, Fenix 6X Pro and currently a Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar). Those were/are top of the line Garmin watches, and I justified the cost as being necessary for my pursuit of my health. But there are cheaper Garmin watches that are also quite good, like the VivoActive.
    Garmin has hundreds of challenges/badges for all sorts of activities, including walking, running, cycling, swimming, yoga, pilates, strength, and more. And of course, it tracks your steps, sleep, and other metrics.
    In addition to the regular challenges, there are always new monthly challenges each month (I'm pretty hooked on trying to complete most of these challenges). There is always a monthly 300,000 step challenge, but just this month, Garmin also added a whole new set of challenges which they're calling "expeditions". The 16 "hike" expeditions range from "Great Wall" (~28k steps) all the way to "Appalachian Trail" (4.9 million steps), and these challenges have no time constraint, so you complete them on your own timeline.
    I too L-O-V-E the challenges and find them very motivating. Here's a sample of a few of the badges:
    ra5e517dpela.png
    oe6cv0dcqro1.png
    hsh1vmn2ssmp.png
    P.S. I'm open to connecting with other Garmin users on Garmin Connect, for mutual support and challenges. BTW, Garmin Connect will automatically sync your activities to MyFitnessPal, so you only have to log food and not your exercise.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Sun 3/19: 12,999
    Mon 3/20: 13,813
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,452 Member
    Here is the card for today. Happy Wednesday everyone <3
    sayw5jeblaym.jpg
This discussion has been closed.