Shape Shifters Team Chat - APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• Jlswensen
    Jlswensen Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @cassandraw

If you’re looking for fresh veggies/fruit, or frozen fish, Aldi will likely be the least expensive. If looking for canned & boxed goods, it’s fine just not name brand.
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the grocery help.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    alfr8852gfm3.png

CONGRATS to the 3 Placers on our team...wtg!!
    Jessica
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Good morning Shape Shifters. Here is the daily card. Happy Monday everyone <3
    9j9idicf6x1l.jpg
  • Pupowl
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I find it funny that the card mentions barefoot walking. I ordered a pair of barefoot shoes yesterday. Didn't even know that was a thing until recently. Buying shoes is always a huge problem for me and I hate wearing all shoes, except for sandals. I watched some videos on how to transition to barefoot shoes, and they all say to start with walking barefoot in the house. Don't most people do that already?! Wearing any kind of shoe in the house just feels wrong to me. Anyway, because I already wear nothing a lot of the time, and don't wear restrictive shoes, I hope it won't take me as long to get used to the barefoot shoes. I went with the Merrell Vapor Glove 6. I got 40% discount on them, so they were very affordable. I am pretty excited to try them and will let you all know how it goes.
  • Bumbinella
    Bumbinella Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bumbinella

Sunday weigh-in

PW: 166.2
    CW: 166.7
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ow 228.6
    Cw 229.4

Currently I am in arthritic pain but not bad. Swelling slightly in my left knee so I can't totally straighten it but mostly straight.

@Pupowl , I don't walk around with shoes on normally at my house and only in extreme heat or extreme cold outside ir when I walk outside. Otherwise, absolutely 💯 no shoes. But I'm considered a country girl where I'm at. And irregardless of my pain level, no shoes. And I might have socks on.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    It's the last week of another F2F month! If you have friends who would like to join in, please share this link for NEW members:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10889269/registration-for-new-members-may-2023#latest

If you are already here, you do not need to re-register. Thanks!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Nice loss, @Jessica! Glad your knee is feeling a little better.

I have no energy today, and I’m not sure why. The team seems to be starting out the week well so I hope it rubs off on me. I’ll check back tomorrow and try to catch up. Enjoy!

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,206 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Pupowl wrote: »
    I find it funny that the card mentions barefoot walking. I ordered a pair of barefoot shoes yesterday. Didn't even know that was a thing until recently. Buying shoes is always a huge problem for me and I hate wearing all shoes, except for sandals. I watched some videos on how to transition to barefoot shoes, and they all say to start with walking barefoot in the house. Don't most people do that already?! Wearing any kind of shoe in the house just feels wrong to me. Anyway, because I already wear nothing a lot of the time, and don't wear restrictive shoes, I hope it won't take me as long to get used to the barefoot shoes. I went with the Merrell Vapor Glove 6. I got 40% discount on them, so they were very affordable. I am pretty excited to try them and will let you all know how it goes.

These types of shoes are also known as minimalist zero-drop shoes (zero drop because they have no heel). Barefoot Shoes seems to be a newer name for them, probably because it just sounds better. If you like going barefoot, you'll love these shoes. One thing though: your choice of style needs to be based on what kind of terrain you walk on. I have several pairs of Xero shoes with different thicknesses in the sole. One pair is great for walking on concrete or asphalt, the other pair is better for gravel or rockier trails.

The theory with Barefoot (Minimalist) shoes is that you are better off with shoes that require your foot stabilizer muscles to stay strong, and shoes with excessive support allow those muscles to weaken. I was struggling with balance issues a while back, so I chose these shoes to see if they could help. I don't regret that decision.

BTW: In the early 70's, there was a shoe brand called Earth Shoes that had a negative heel. This was to simulate walking in sand. I had a pair, and I loved them. It took a while for my calf muscles to be okay with that. 😂
    n30ttedgavgt.png
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,206 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    If you are curious or interested in tai chi, you might want to consider tai chi walking. Here are a couple videos that do a good job explaining or showing how to do it.
    In this first video, she shows the footwork and does a good job explaining how you shift your weight back and forth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkbaZdsRIvE

In this next video, Lucy Chun doesn't explain it so much as just demonstrate it:
    • first, she just shows the footwork with hands on hips,
    • then she incorporates the arms repeating a move called part wild horse's mane,
    • then repeating a move called brush knee and push,
    • and finally, stepping backwards while repeating the move [humorously] called repulse the monkey.
    • She then ends by doing a couple grasp the bird's tail, once in each direction.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC__D5EvaC0

Give it a try!

• eahrenee
    eahrenee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I have been MIA and missed last Mondays weigh-in, it has been a long week with an eye injury, work and taking a parent to radiation therapy.

Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW 4/10: 194.4
    PW 4/17: 195.4
    CW: 191.4
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    Hi SS ...You have a new member joining your awesome team ....Please welcome @Cyncia85 :)
  • Pupowl
    Options
    These types of shoes are also known as minimalist zero-drop shoes (zero drop because they have no heel). Barefoot Shoes seems to be a newer name for them, probably because it just sounds better. If you like going barefoot, you'll love these shoes. One thing though: your choice of style needs to be based on what kind of terrain you walk on. I have several pairs of Xero shoes with different thicknesses in the sole. One pair is great for walking on concrete or asphalt, the other pair is better for gravel or rockier trails.

The theory with Barefoot (Minimalist) shoes is that you are better off with shoes that require your foot stabilizer muscles to stay strong, and shoes with excessive support allow those muscles to weaken. I was struggling with balance issues a while back, so I chose these shoes to see if they could help. I don't regret that decision.

Yeah, I have watched a couple of videos about the barefoot thing. It is very interesting! Also how your toes will start spreading out more, so I totally get how it can aid with balance as well. The toebox is always what I have been hating most about shoes because I never fit. It is why I eventually tried altra hiking shoes because of the wide toebox. I wish I had dug a little deeper back then and found the zero-drop ones. Oh well, better late than never.

• Pupowl
    Options
    Welcome to the Shape Shifers @Cyncia85 ! There is a lot of information on the first page of this thread, let us know if you have any questions. Feel free to introduce yourself and I hope you will enjoy being part of the team!
  • Pupowl
    Options
    Good morning Shape Shifters. Here is the card for today. Happy Tuesday everyone <3
    yhzzil7a9cqy.jpg
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    steps:

4/21 12,786
    4/22 14,966
    4/23 14,200
    4/24 14,046

Welcome @Cyncia85 !
This discussion has been closed.