Shape Shifters Team Chat - MAY 2023

Options

Replies

• CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    @dcresider my husband ends up going out with big drinkers at work conferences and what he does is orders Diet Coke with lime in a short glass. He typically drinks whiskey and diet so this looks the same. It you order just coke they tend to put it in a tall glass without garnish.
    Sad that we sometimes have to make it look like we are drinking when we are not. Turns out peer pressure isn’t just a school thing. 🤷‍♀️
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Soooooo.....

@Pupowl and @jessicakrall8 , I'll be in Cape Girardeau, MO, over Memorial day weekend to spend time with my love and his family.. I normally weigh in on Mondays. I'm wanting to see if I could either get a pass or weigh in later in the week. I'm hoping we stay on track with some healthy foods while together.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options

@dcresider - Just space them out, maybe have a non-alcoholic drink in between and if someone says something tell them the truth, you are working on loosing weight. Cute picture of Miss Luna

Thanks. I guess it doesn't hurt to be truthful. Plus, I really need to watch it since I have a wedding and a doctor's physical coming up in July. For once it would be nice to see a weight loss at the doctor's office.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hello ShapeShifters! I’m back home now following some travel. I took a trip to Boston to visit my son and extended family last Wednesday evening through Sunday, with a very early AM return on Sunday. It was a brief trip but we got a lot done in a short period of time, for example …

- family graduation celebration,
    - belated birthday dinner for my mother,
    - moved small sofa from sister-in-law’s house to father-in-law’s assisted living space,
    - washed my mother’s windows and switched out the winter storm windows for screens,
    - took my father-in-law to a medical appointment, and stopped by some familiar places so he could enjoy outdoor time and social interaction (haircut, church, etc.) during the nice spring day on Saturday.

I had to do some cleaning here at home on Sunday because I’m trying to declutter/ downsize now that both sons are away at school, and I had ‘temporarily’ stored some things in their bedrooms. This process has been very slow but I’m making incremental progress. 🥵😅🤬.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    On Monday, I flew to Charlotte, NC to meet my son. He studies at Clemson University so he drove to the airport to meet me, and then I drove the rest of the way home to northern Virginia. There was only one problem: he mistakenly drove to the nearby Greenville-Spartanburg airport instead of the one farther north in Charlotte!

I didn’t mind waiting at the airport while he continued to drive north but I felt badly that we lost a bit of time and he had a little extra driving to do. He said it was ‘wishful thinking’ because he didn’t have to leave as early to get to the airport closer to the university. So, I’m guessing he still had packing to do, or maybe he needed some more sleep after exam week. Later, he told me this past semester was more stressful than usual. He has a very balanced disposition and generally doesn’t get too stressed out, so I knew he must have needed the time.

My husband is an anxious traveler so my sons and I probably both have a bit of PTSD from previous airport experiences. My son is typically right on time and communicates well so my first thought was I was waiting in the wrong place!

Anyway, everything worked out fine and it is always so nice to talk to him while driving because we have some interesting conversations about current events, innovative solutions to the world’s problems, and how we would like to change the world for the better if we had unlimited support and money 🤣😂🤣

So, lessons learned include: (1) Send a text reminder on the meeting day with all the final information in one place (I had shared my itinerary with him via email and sent a text last month but I another text on the day we were traveling would have helped); and (2) Record those car conversations so we can pitch them to investors! 😉💰💰💡💰💰🤩
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @dcresider - I agree with the advice other’s gave about strategies for drinking less while out with friends. Most people understand that alcohol includes a lot of empty calories and other negative effects. So, as long as we don’t lecture or seem judgmental, I think a lot of people support cutting down on alcohol. I’d say I’m cutting back so I can eat my calories or be a bit gentler on the waistline, etc.

For fitting in without making an issue of cutting back, my trick was ordering a cranberry and soda mix with a lime for a non-alcohol option, or a white wine spritzer for a lighter alcohol choice. I’d tell them to add just a splash of wine to spread out the alcohol content more throughout the night.

I often act as the designated driver when I go out with my husband and I limit myself to just one drink with dinner. Sometimes, I just explain that I can’t drink like I used to and order a glass of water between ‘rounds.’

Occasionally, we also just need to celebrate and plan well the rest of the week (or month) to make space for special events or experiences. To me, the most important point is that you’re reflecting on a change that might work and testing out whether the strategy works for you. That alone is progress!!

I’m sure you’ll find a strategy that works for you! Enjoy 😋 (within the limits you decide) 😉
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Soooooo.....

@Pupowl and @jessicakrall8 , I'll be in Cape Girardeau, MO, over Memorial day weekend to spend time with my love and his family.. I normally weigh in on Mondays. I'm wanting to see if I could either get a pass or weigh in later in the week. I'm hoping we stay on track with some healthy foods while together.

@Armygirlarmyof1 I've marked you as EXC for that week. Have a good time!
    Jessica
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ty @jessicakrall8. And I swear I'm counting down the days. I'm soooo excited for some down time with Anthony and his 2 furbabies.

In other news, I'm sooo ready to go back to work. We've been closed as my boss has had surgery on both her hands for carpal tunnel. I'm hoping we get to go in on Friday. Our insurance policy states there must be 2 of us there to open and close the store and during business hours. And 2 of us have to count the bank depositsMeghan wasn't going to be there on Tuesday which would left me there alone and would've been a no go. She's not trained on the register either so we couldn't open today as I've had stuff to do. We're always closed on Sundays and Thursdays.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    I love all the family and pet photos! Thanks for sharing them.

Enjoy your trip @Armygirlarmyof1!
  • Sbus12
    Sbus12 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @Zaxa2021 awesome weight loss! You’re rocking it and your steps are inspirational as well!

@dcresider love the pre plan! You’re putting in extra effort when you know you may have some struggles ahead. When I go out for drinks and food, I nurse my drinks and drink a lot of water in between. I also switched to low calorie drinks like a flavored vodka, seltzer and lime. Ms. Luna is adorable.

@JenHul i hear you on the foot pain. I have metatarsalgia and that definitely hurts. I did struggle with plantar fasciitis but thankfully that’s currently better now. I always try to wear my supportive Vionic slippers at home, I bought really supportive Brooks for gym shoes and Clarks for work. I’ve been a RN for over 20 yrs and I’ve never dealt with foot problems until I took a new position that has me sitting all day. Go figure! I’m blaming on the weight gain. Hope yours feels better soon!

@Pupowl you’re beautiful, I’m beautiful, we’re all beautiful! Love the card today!! So positive and true!
  • eahrenee
    eahrenee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    @Pupowl my steps for April 30 were 9065

Thank you!
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @dcresider - I agree with the advice other’s gave about strategies for drinking less while out with friends. Most people understand that alcohol includes a lot of empty calories and other negative effects. So, as long as we don’t lecture or seem judgmental, I think a lot of people support cutting down on alcohol. I’d say I’m cutting back so I can eat my calories or be a bit gentler on the waistline, etc.

For fitting in without making an issue of cutting back, my trick was ordering a cranberry and soda mix with a lime for a non-alcohol option, or a white wine spritzer for a lighter alcohol choice. I’d tell them to add just a splash of wine to spread out the alcohol content more throughout the night.

I often act as the designated driver when I go out with my husband and I limit myself to just one drink with dinner. Sometimes, I just explain that I can’t drink like I used to and order a glass of water between ‘rounds.’

Occasionally, we also just need to celebrate and plan well the rest of the week (or month) to make space for special events or experiences. To me, the most important point is that you’re reflecting on a change that might work and testing out whether the strategy works for you. That alone is progress!!

I’m sure you’ll find a strategy that works for you! Enjoy 😋 (within the limits you decide) 😉

Hi there and thank you for your support. I will definitely make an effort tonight.
This discussion has been closed.