Shape Shifters Team Chat - MAY 2023

Options

Replies

• Zaxa2021
    Zaxa2021 Posts: 414 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    My workouts are just walking in the morning and running in the evening (most days, but I will miss one or both on occasion due to life).

I would like to start doing strength training, most likely with body weight to begin with. But I've definitely been dragging my feet getting it going. Im hesitant to give up my little free time to more working out but I know it would be for the best.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,103 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Hi all. Out of curiosity, how many days a week do you work out and for how long? Does that involve any strength training? Let me know when you get a chance. Thank you.

I walk 7 days a week and have just recently added 10-30 minutes about 4-5 times a week for strength training. I'm not using weights yet, but am doing some arm, neck, shoulder, waist and core exercises. Don't do them all every day...if I'm feeling sore or tired, I'll only do about 10 minutes just on arms, shoulder and neck exercises.

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    @JenHul -- I hope the allergies are better! Mine have ramped up also.

@dcresider -- I think the best workout this summer has been the push mower and weed eating.

Most of my family have passed away now and I don't live near where I grew up at all but still feel the pull of putting out a Memorial Day meal like we used to have back in the day. What is your food strategies for the weekend (if you're in the US) ? What are some of the foods your family eats at gatherings?

Like you, @Itadakimasu7 most of my family have passed and my two cousins just moved away to southern Indiana (I'm in coastal Virginia, about 20 min from the oceanfront). My only brother is in Kentucky about 9 hrs away and his daughter, my niece is in Florida. I was born and raised in a small town in Kentucky and we used to go to the cemetery and put flowers and flags on the graves of our military family to honor their service. My grandfather, father and several uncles served in the military. We would also put flowers on other family's graves to honor their memory. Then, we would all meet at my house and have a nice cookout together. I too miss those days.

It's just another day for me now...I'll be cooking/eating at home this weekend and spending some quiet time, just reading...running a few errands...playing with my cat, Betty. She turns 1 yr old on Jun 1st...I'm searching for one of those special birthday cakes at the pet shop that's made of tuna...saw an article about it online...

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Jessica
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ganival

Fridays
    PW: 172.4
    CW: 173.2

Had a pretty good week despite the scale not moving in the right direction. I'm making huge progress with breaking my sugar addiction so I'm fairly with that. Have a nice long weekend in the states!
  • Jlswensen
    Jlswensen Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Jlswensen
    Weigh Day: Saturday
    PW: 218.7
    CW: 218.2
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I clearly screwed up on my last post...
    I meant to respond to @LaurieWrobo's post:
    That's amazing. I've been meaning to take yoga classes but am too intimidated by the young flexible "kids" out there.
    Don't let others' abilities deter you from doing yoga or anything else. You can only start from where you're at, and if you don't start that's where you'll stay. Yoga can help a lot with improving your flexibility and balance.
    I attempted to start doing yoga in January 2021, following a YouTube 30 Days of Yoga series on the Yoga With Adriene channel. But it wasn't until November 2021 that I was able to make it part of my routine. At that time, I started taking yoga classes at my gym. I couldn't do the faster moving yoga flow classes, but I was able to do a restorative yoga class. Yoga has helped me improve my balance and flexibility. Now, I'm starting to take more challenging yoga/pilates classes, and I've been doing tai chi twice a week for a number of months now. But even now, there are poses that I have difficulty with during which I'll resort to doing child pose.

And then, respond to @dcresider's post:
    Hi all. Out of curiosity, how many days a week do you work out and for how long? Does that involve any strength training? Let me know when you get a chance. Thank you.
    I work out a lot. I'm single and retired (just turned 74), so I've got lots of time on my hands. Plus I'm trying to make up for decades of neglecting my fitness and health. My weekly routine can vary a bit, but basically consists of:
    • one hour walk most days (on 3 days it is partly run/walk)
    • one hour water aerobics daily
    • ~five sessions of yoga, pilates or an agility, stability & balance class
    • two tai chi sessions
    • one or two swims of 1,000+ yards
    • three half-hour strength training sessions
    • three hour-long Silver Sneakers cardio/strength classes
    • I plan to start riding my bike again, if I can find a comfortable seat (and/or improve my tolerance)
    This is rarely less than two hours a day and often three or four hours a day.
    Obviously, it isn't necessary to spend this much time exercising, but doing a half hour to an hour most days has huge benefits. And strength training becomes more important as we age.

Hi Frank. You really inspire me to get out there. I've been meaning to try yoga and have taken classes in the past, but youtube may be the way to begin with. I'll check out the 30 days of yoga because I really want to get flexible.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    The daily card is a bit late today, but here it is.
    e9jd0obivhoz.jpg
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    I clearly screwed up on my last post...
    I meant to respond to @LaurieWrobo's post:
    That's amazing. I've been meaning to take yoga classes but am too intimidated by the young flexible "kids" out there.
    Don't let others' abilities deter you from doing yoga or anything else. You can only start from where you're at, and if you don't start that's where you'll stay. Yoga can help a lot with improving your flexibility and balance.
    I attempted to start doing yoga in January 2021, following a YouTube 30 Days of Yoga series on the Yoga With Adriene channel. But it wasn't until November 2021 that I was able to make it part of my routine. At that time, I started taking yoga classes at my gym. I couldn't do the faster moving yoga flow classes, but I was able to do a restorative yoga class. Yoga has helped me improve my balance and flexibility. Now, I'm starting to take more challenging yoga/pilates classes, and I've been doing tai chi twice a week for a number of months now. But even now, there are poses that I have difficulty with during which I'll resort to doing child pose.

And then, respond to @dcresider's post:
    I work out a lot. I'm single and retired (just turned 74), so I've got lots of time on my hands. Plus I'm trying to make up for decades of neglecting my fitness and health. My weekly routine can vary a bit, but basically consists of:
    • one hour walk most days (on 3 days it is partly run/walk)
    • one hour water aerobics daily
    • ~five sessions of yoga, pilates or an agility, stability & balance class
    • two tai chi sessions
    • one or two swims of 1,000+ yards
    • three half-hour strength training sessions
    • three hour-long Silver Sneakers cardio/strength classes
    • I plan to start riding my bike again, if I can find a comfortable seat (and/or improve my tolerance)
    This is rarely less than two hours a day and often three or four hours a day.
    Obviously, it isn't necessary to spend this much time exercising, but doing a half hour to an hour most days has huge benefits. And strength training becomes more important as we age.

Hi Frank. You really inspire me to get out there. I've been meaning to try yoga and have taken classes in the past, but youtube may be the way to begin with. I'll check out the 30 days of yoga because I really want to get flexible.
    There are quite a few options for yoga on YouTube, but Yoga with Adriene is the one I'm most familiar with. Some people feel she is a bit too chatty, but I didn't mind. She has released a 30 Days of Yoga each January for around 9 years. I attempted one of those in January 2021, but because I couldn't keep up with the daily progress, I stopped. I wish now I had had the good sense to recognize there was no reason I couldn't take 60 or 90 days to complete the 30 day challenge. So my advice to anyone starting now is to progress at whatever pace you're able, and don't feel compelled to follow some set schedule. Success comes from doing it and seeing it's benefits.
    That applies to starting any fitness routine. Sure, set a goal you think is attainable when you start, but be ready to scale it up or down in response to what your body tells you. Measure your success by your progress over time.
    Good luck. 😃
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

It’s been interesting to read about typical work out routines from members of our team. Thanks for posing the question @dcresider! I agree with @Pupowl that it’s most important to find something we like.

My routine varies by season, and my weight also fluctuates based on my activity level, so I’m trying to find a more consistent balance of calories in and calories out through exercise and other daily movement. Here’s a general overview, starting with a TLDR summary —

- Cardio 3-7 days depending on season
    - Strength training 2 days regularly
    - Want to increase walking & flexibility

How many days a week do you work out and for how long?

During spring and fall, I row on the water - or use the erg indoors - about three days a week, depending on the weather and season. We’re on the river for an hour after carrying the boat back/forth, etc. Summer is more active because I also practice sculling on average three times a week for an additional hour each time. In winter, I can only erg twice a week (one day less) because of a work conflict with the winter conditioning schedule. I could make up the time at my gym but I find the accountability of my group really helpful.

I also play soccer once a week for 40-80 minutes, depending on how many women show up to play. The league requires 4 women players (out of 11), so we get more exercise when there are no subs. The female players have to be at least 29 years old (30 years old within the year) and the men have to be 40. I’m almost 57 and didn’t grow up playing so I try to let the younger, more skilled, players have more time on the field if we have extra players. Generally, the league has trouble recruiting enough women, but our team does a better job than most because the men on our team are so supportive, so I consider it our secret weapon when I offer to play for the other team if they don’t have enough female players! 😉

My husband and I workout with a personal trainer at our local YMCA gym for 30 minutes twice a week. I’d like to add more yoga and stretching into my routine but I’m waiting until I accomplish some of my decluttering/ downsizing goals first (only so much time in a week!). We had to say goodbye to our wonderful dog in early March and miss long walks with him (so painful still but we’re smiling more lately at the memories). So, eventually, I plan to add some more intentional walking or biking into my schedule. For example, I’d like to start walking from my house to the boathouse/ river (about 30 minutes) but the return trip cuts too close to work obligations so I’ll need to adjust somehow. Our neighborhood is walkable and I’d like to visit the weekly farmer’s market and First Thursday Main Street activities more, too.

Aspirations abound so I’m striving for incremental progress! ☺️

Does that involve any strength training?

When the weather is too bad to row, we’ll often use the erg machines for about 30 minutes and then add a combination of weight lifting, abdominal exercises, and stretching. The winter conditioning is much more focused on building strength so we increase the weight then.

The personal trainer concentrates on core body weight exercises and also uses some weights, resistance bands, TRX suspension training tools, and the medicine ball. He embeds balance into core workouts, too. Usually, I arrive a few minutes early and use the jump rope to warm up. I agree with @bearchested that it’s amazing how quickly the jump roping works to elevate my heart rate. After about 200 jumps, I’m warmed up, breathing heavier and heart pumping! 😅 It takes no time at all but I have no idea how many calories I burn. I just know it shine more than it is!! 🥵

Enjoy!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    Some garden progress under the spoiler. I made a little line with the shovel so I can see how much there is left to do. Second picture is where I stopped today. It is just too hot to do more. I also mowed the grass to make it a bit easier and those 4 big stones were heavy as frick so that wasn't fun either. I don't want a whole path since Tinus and I will make a path anyway as you can see where we walked previously. But a few step stones are nice. I am running out of places to dump the grass and root layers though. The bins were emptied two days ago and I filled mine up again the next day. Maybe I will put it in trash bags for now. Anyway, more digging tomorrow!
    2ngz8agfxvug.jpg
    hqc45y16f6pq.jpg
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Izzyred9400
    Sat weigh in
    PW 139.6
    CW 139.6
    My steps
    5/25 20,698
    5/26 18,277
    @jessicakrall8 can I weigh in next Friday instead of Saturday please ? I go on holiday Friday afternoon so please excuse me for 4 weeks after that.😎🍹🏊

No problem @izzyred9400 just go ahead and post it on Friday. @pupowl will likely see it before I get home from work...I'll make a note of the four weeks as well. Enjoy! Where's this holiday trip...back to Greece? I think that's your second home! :smile:
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Some garden progress under the spoiler. I made a little line with the shovel so I can see how much there is left to do. Second picture is where I stopped today. It is just too hot to do more. I also mowed the grass to make it a bit easier and those 4 big stones were heavy as frick so that wasn't fun either. I don't want a whole path since Tinus and I will make a path anyway as you can see where we walked previously. But a few step stones are nice. I am running out of places to dump the grass and root layers though. The bins were emptied two days ago and I filled mine up again the next day. Maybe I will put it in trash bags for now. Anyway, more digging tomorrow!

@pupowl Wow you're yard is really progressing nicely. It looks great and just think of all the exercise you've gotten from this...you get to see results in the yard AND in yourself as well! WIN WIN! By the way, I love today's card...very nice reminder that I needed today! Thank you for posting it! I also loved the last round of pictures you posted of wildlife...I always enjoy your pictures...helps me live through your adventures!!
    Jessica
This discussion has been closed.