Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,074 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8
    I noticed in the July spreadsheet my starting weight shows as 201.8 (I wish!). It's actually 238.9 (the June spreadsheet is correct). I also noticed that Mulecanter is directly above me in the July spreadsheet with a starting weight of 238.9 but in June had an ending weight of 227.0.
    Looks like the addition of JScottJr1988 in row 22 caused a cut/paste error.
    Looks like all the weights from cell D23-D36 can be shifted down one cell, then correct cells D19-D23.

@frankwbrown and ALL:
    There appears to have been an error in the copy/paste of the final weights from June and the beginning weights for July.

PLEASE EVERYONE CHECK YOUR BEGINNING WEIGHT FOR JULY AND IF IT DOES NOT MATCH THE FINAL WEIGH IN FROM JUNE, PLEASE ALERT @jessicakrall8 AND @Pupowl FOR CORRECTION!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Frank! I think I corrected them all, but want to triple check now.
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    alleykat69 wrote: »
    I don't see the link to "Beat the Heat Challenge ".

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10893914/july-week-1-group-challenge-beat-the-heat#latest

They're always on the main Fat2Fit page under ANNOUNCEMENTS, but it was on page one of the July thread too...
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    alleykat69 wrote: »
    steps for Tuesday 2688
    Wednesday 2520
    Thursday 3104
    Friday 2712
    Saturday 4160

weigh in: Sunday
    PW:199.4
    CW199.4

@alleykat69 always please include the date on your list of step counts...especially when we're switching from one month to the next. Thanks!

I show your PW as 198.4. Was that incorrect?
    Jessica
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8

I'd like to join the step challenge. My Garmin daily average steps for the past 4 weeks = 6,332. While I'd like to make my daily step goal 10,000 - I am going to make my daily goal a bit more attainable.

For the month of July, my daily step goal = 7,000.

My favorite places to walk are
    The Stairs (Swallow Cliff)
    Around the neighborhood with my pup
    or Waterfall Glen
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @jessicakrall8
    I noticed in the July spreadsheet my starting weight shows as 201.8 (I wish!). It's actually 238.9 (the June spreadsheet is correct). I also noticed that Mulecanter is directly above me in the July spreadsheet with a starting weight of 238.9 but in June had an ending weight of 227.0.
    Looks like the addition of JScottJr1988 in row 22 caused a cut/paste error.
    Looks like all the weights from cell D23-D36 can be shifted down one cell, then correct cells D19-D23.

@frankwbrown and ALL:
    There appears to have been an error in the copy/paste of the final weights from June and the beginning weights for July.

PLEASE EVERYONE CHECK YOUR BEGINNING WEIGHT FOR JULY AND IF IT DOES NOT MATCH THE FINAL WEIGH IN FROM JUNE, PLEASE ALERT @jessicakrall8 AND @Pupowl FOR CORRECTION!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Frank! I think I corrected them all, but want to triple check now.
    Jessica

All looks good to me now.

I'd like to continue with the step challenge:
    10,000 steps/day
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    @WA_Teacher
    Do you want to removed entirely or would like you like to be put on support? Good luck with the procedure, I hope it goes well and recovery will be quick.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Good morning Shape Shifters. Here is todays card. Happy Monday everyone <3
    p7uac37cdsbn.jpg
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I’m Patrice. I’ll be 57 years old soon. My goal is to maintain my weight between 120 and 130 pounds, which is the mid-point of a healthy BMI for my height (5’3”-5’4”). Currently, I’m 10 pounds over my target weight of 125. My fitness goals include improving my balance and flexibility, while also building muscle mass. I have osteopenia so I’m taking calcium and doing weight bearing exercises, mostly using my own body weight, to increase my bone density.

This month, I’m going to focus on measurable ways to gauge my progress. Tracking calories is relatively straightforward but I still need to weigh my food more so I’m more confident with my entries. For fitness levels, I’ll set my baseline measures this month. I found this list of tests for assessing flexibility: https://www.topendsports.com/testing/flex.htm

So, I’ll pick 4-5 of them and complete one each week. Then, I’ll use a notebook to track my monthly progress in each of the four categories. For balance, I’ll put on my socks in a standing position each morning, lifting the right foot to put on one sock while balancing on my left and then lifting the left foot while balancing on the right. I’ll make a note each day this month so I can find out where my starting point is and set my goal for improving in August.

In 2022, I had a bone density test done, which my doctor recommends every two years beginning at age 55. So, she’ll give me another referral during my annual physical in 2024. I think that test shows other body composition information, such as the amount of water and fat, etc. I still need to review my records from 2022 and then compare the muscle mass results that I get in 2024.

Does anyone else have ideas for objective measures of progress?

I am going to run a 5k race in September but I don’t train for running so I don’t think I should use it as a way to gauge fitness improvement. One of my soccer friends hosts/sponsors the race, which is the main reason I participate. Her family started the race when her daughter was diagnosed with cancer. Her daughter finished her treatment and is now thriving after the treatment was successful so I participate in the race as a way to celebrate her perseverance through difficult circumstances and raise money to support research so others can benefit.

That’s the long way of saying I don’t have any expectations for improving my pace this year. Last year, I won my age category, which was a total fluke. 🙃 Maybe my goal can be to match the pace from last year? At 57, I’m not sure it’s realistic to get faster, but maybe I can — 🤔

It’s interesting to think about goal-setting as we age. At some point, the numbers are likely to regress, but how much is still positive in terms of aging?! I just want to maintain optimal levels of health. As we get better at removing the stigma of aging - especially related to women - I hope it will be easier to set realistic targets without feeling badly when we can’t attain the same fitness levels as we used to. Here’s a fun video of a 92 year old man winning a race against other seniors to keep us motivated:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yekpl9CJmkA

Have a great week, Shape Shifters!
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 - Roger that, will ask the mods to scoot me to the side of the road.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    🤣😂🤣 - We’ll miss you @Itadakimasu7!

Enjoy your holiday!
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I was traveling last week and forgot to weigh in when I returned on Saturday.
  • jessicakrall8
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 - Roger that, will ask the mods to scoot me to the side of the road.

@Itadakimasu7 I already did...enjoy your vacation! See you in a bit...
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    WA_Teacher wrote: »
    Sunday, July 2nd
    WA_Teacher
    Previous Weight: 241.9
    Current Weight: 239

This will be my last posting. :'( I’m sorry but I need to step away from this group. I am currently having health issues and will be in the hospital for procedure later this week. Then I will have a 6+ week recovery time. Thanks for your support.
    V

WA_Teacher Hope your hospital stay goes quickly and you're healing is as pain-free as possible!! Take care and let us know how you're doing. We'll welcome you back as soon as you're ready.
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    JessicaKrall8
    Monday weigh in
    PW: 302.4
    CW: 302.4
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Cyncia85 wrote: »
    Long post....

I live near Swallow Cliff - a forest preserve in Cook County, Illinois. It has hills, ravines, lakes, trees, etc. I call it "the stairs." There are 125 limestone stairs. These were constructed in 1930 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. These stairs lead to the top of a former toboggan run on Swallow Cliff's 100-foot bluff.

I did the stairs this past Friday. I did a couple trips up and down. Then went for a short walk on the path to cool down. My calves are feeling it yesterday and today.

I'm struggling with what to do with myself today. I've got alot of chores to do. Statistics homework. I want to finish a book I am reading for therapy. I'm trying to read and I can't focus 100% because I am ruminating - I have PTSD/depression/anxiety. One way to help overcome the rumination is to get out of my mind and into my body. I'd love to take my pup for a walk - we've got some heavy rain here today. I am thinking of going to the gym to help with the rumination even though this will take time away from me working on my to-do list. But the rumination is stealing my time. Thank you - if you read all of that.

I think that I'm going to focus on my activity goals and get to the gym. I will keep it a light workout considering my calves are sore.

I get depressed and the ptsd. I have those issues as well. One thing that's always helped me this time of year is gardening even if it takes away from something on my to do list. You've got to be mentally healthy not just physically healthy. While these issues will surface from time to time, remember you are in control.
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Gm yall. Happy July 4th for those celebrating.
This discussion has been closed.