WaistAways Team Chat - JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    @jeezlawheeze Thanks for your introduction, Karen! It is good to meet you. It sounds like you have some good inspiration from your son, and I applaud your decision to see if you can shift some pounds and find ways to move and feel as well as possible. Please ask any questions about how things work here - we'll make sure you can find your way around and make the best use of this team space.

One easy thing you can try is to always leave this web page open on your browser, and just refresh it any time you come on. That way you can't lose us! Hopefully your family can help out too.

As to losing weight after your 50s - I did it (I was 58-59 when I lost the weight and now I'm 69 and still maintaining) and I know it means changing how we eat more than someone younger, but it is possible. Your back will certainly mean finding specialized ways of exercising. Do you have a physiotherapist or someone who can help you develop a program? In any case, I hope you'll enjoy this group as much as I do.
  • jugar
    Options
    It's time for the nightly nag! Sunday - Monday weigh-ins due:
    @strong_fit_ells
    @graceojo999
    @CarolAnnM2

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,142 Member
    Options
    Sun Jul 2
    12076 steps
    That's 7 days in a row. Hooray!
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Went for my swim in the pond today - cold water has an amazing effect on me, thoroughly enjoyed it and felt reinvigorated aferwards.
    I need to find the time to start reincorporating regular excersize into my week but ATM that is a struggle...
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    @YinxFed happy belated birthday! 🥳

@Pearl4686 once I found an exercise I enjoyed, it made it easier to schedule my exercise in the week. I love my body pump class and am feeling stronger since I started it!

@conleywoods those water balloons sound like fun! That is nice you live near water and have a boat!

We don't have many plans for tomorrow to celebrate the 4th of july. Which is a good thing so I don't eat! I had toyed with the idea of signing up for a 5k tomorrow, but they were all so early in the morning 😆 So I told myself I will just go for a 5k jog in the neighborhood. I have been exercising at night and so the mornings my body does not want to move lol.
  • jugar
    Options
    @Pearl4686 Cold pond swimming is so wonderful - I hope you can find time to do that from time to time. Here I am all happy at the mention of cold water. Is it winter yet???

I had a hilarious ride with Jasper today. We took off onto the little gravel road in front of the farm and went along longer than we have so far. So many new things for him to figure out! The "traffic" did not bother him too much - he is used to tractors, ATVs, motorcycles, things that rattle on by, pick-up trucks, etc. So that part was good, and there are never very many vehicles in any case. There was a yappy and very fast border collie that came rushing down from its farmyard, some ducks splashing about on a pond, other horses in a field (much whinnying required), but the worst by far was the weed whacker wielding wild woman of doom! That was a cause for refusing to go forward, then doing several small circles in the middle of the road before I could get himself to walk in the direction of that clamor. He finally did, and as soon as she could see us, the woman shut it down and we had a calm moment chatting. It was an excellent lesson. It is great that he finally showed willing to go towards something scary just because I told him it was not the end of the world. I am sure the next few months are going to get him well along the way of being confident and calm(er) on long rides along these country roads. I think he'll sleep well tonight. I will too!

Great stepping, water, and push-ups @ashleycarole86 ! Now I just have to get on the mat and do some Pilates, I did snack today, though - 2 out of 3. We've got this! Mostly :sweat_smile:
  • jugar
    Options
    cvigpysdp55o.png

Tuesday Weigh-ins:
    @lauren_989
    @MaddawgMadsen

Sunday - Monday still due:
    @strong_fit_ells
    @graceojo999
    @CarolAnnM2

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,142 Member
    Options
    Morning all and happy July 4th to all our American teammates.
    Feeling off in the stomach since last night... on the fence whether I should be going into the office today. That guilt to show up at any cost I tell ya..
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! It's already July. Well, here I am in Vermont. I live with my OH and 3 cats near the Connecticut River which runs between New Hampshire and Vermont.
    Most of my adult life has followed a similar path to many of us here with yo-yoing pre and post childbirth, restrictive diets, and all that. Now that I'm in the 65.5 yr range, I'm learning how to request 5'2" servings as well as cooperation from OH to tell me when they add something I'm trying to avoid (e.g. wheat and heavy sauces) so I have the option of refraining from it. I'm working on the FODMAP plan and find it very helpful. Keeping foods that ferment in the gut to a smaller intake is the aim and it's already helping my general digestion.
    I'll write more a bit later today. Right now, we're heading across the river (in a car, don't get too excited by the prospect of swimming across the Connecticut river) to see an art show at the town hall.
    My younger daughter may pop over with or without her beau for a visit. We'll see.
  • lauren_989
    Options
    PW: 221.4
    CW: 215.6

Well I got most of the weight off that I gained from my parents being here! I am planning for another good week coming up and we don't have any sweets around to enjoy for july 4th. We are grilling out hot dogs and hamburgers. I also did get my 5k walk/jog in this morning! It was only 80F with feel like temperature 99F 🥵 I finished 2 hours ago and feel like I just finally cooled down! But I would prefer this heat than the cold of winter!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    @lauren_989 We lucked out and my husband's aunt and uncle bought a lake place and a boat really close to our house. They get bored and like the company. They have two boys who are married but neither couple has kids yet or live near by. Our kids are the honorary grand kids for them. Excellent loss and nice job on the 5k.
    umuo1x0o7hkr.jpg
    @jugar Your young horse stories bring back memories of my horse. I was 14 and bought him as a 3 year old with my babysitting money. I remember taking him to a parade out of town. He had enough of that by the end of the parade. It was probably all the spray on glitter and marching bands that sent him over the edge! He learned a cool trick where he would grab the shank of his bit (the part that goes in his mouth)and hold it in his front teeth some how, so you can't steer or stop him. Then he starts running full speed through the little town looking for his horse trailer. He was fast as he is from triple A race horse stock and giant at 16.3 hands. He could cover some ground. He also bolted while I still had the American flag in one hand! He was so naughty and you could tell he was always really enjoying himself. Glad your horse survived the evils of weed wackers. My horse could never get over the horror of his nemesis the llama.
  • jugar
    Options
    @lauren_989 I know it might break the bubble, but the last weight I have for you was 214.2 - let me know if that is wildly off! In any case, you have certainly lost 22.4 pounds since joining us!
  • jugar
    Options
    My horse could never get over the horror of his nemesis the llama.
    Oh dear. I need to hear that story. Young horses learning (or not) about the wild and nasty terrors of the world, and learning to get over them, are my jam. Young people too. Everyone needs to stomp through that stuff!
  • lauren_989
    Options
    @jugar I weighed in last Thursday. I'm pretty sure I posted it but I could have forgotten 🤷🏼‍♀️

@conleywoods that lake is beautiful! What a gorgeous view!

We had neighbors set off fireworks tonight and they were awesome! Illegal in NC, but you can get some really good ones south of the border in SC!
    6w4pyybcpec8.jpg
  • jugar
    Options
    lauren_989 wrote: »
    @jugar I weighed in last Thursday. I'm pretty sure I posted it but I could have forgotten 🤷🏼‍♀️
    Right you are! I had decided to use that weigh-in as the starting weight for this month, but to leave things all nice and positive for the end of last month - then, as can happen, I forgot to change the starting weight... Now it is all fixed! Things are OK. You did right - I just got fancy and then forgetful. Sigh.
  • jugar
    Options
    Update! Due and almost due:
    @strong_fit_ells
    @graceojo999
    @MaddawgMadsen
    @jeezlawheeze

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.