Pre-Challenge Activity #6: Starting Measurements with (optional) Before & After Photos

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,197 Member
edited June 2023 in Social Groups
x7ybqjc9gka4.png

Every healthy lifestyle journey starts ‘at the beginning’ ~ with an awareness that you want to change. Perhaps this even includes an urgent need to change (for health reasons, for instance). The goal of some of our Pre-Challenge Activities dealt with YOU taking a look at your own circumstance and deciding what you wanted to put into this as well as what you wanted to get out of it. Our previous activities dealt with you really thinking about where you are today and where you want to go as well as how you want to get there. Suggestions were also provided with regard to Meal Planning & Exercise Planning and we also explored mindful vs. emotional eating. This exercise strives to ‘check’ your progress in a meaningful way.

⚖️ Many of us dislike the number on the scale; the way we look in pictures and the fact that our ‘favorite outfit’ just doesn’t fit like it used to. Sometimes we take the attitude to ignore some of those things. Hey, if we ignore them - they don’t exist, right? WRONG!! The truth is, the best way to get a handle on these things is to take a deep breath and decide to do something about the things that you aren’t all that happy with!

⚖️ 📏NOW is the time to take a deep breath and do some of the things that you may be avoiding. Check your scale. Does it work? Does it need a battery ~ now is a good time to take care of ensuring that it will work throughout the Challenge, so change that old battery!! It is also the time to pull out that tape measure and take some measurements. (Sorry, I couldn't find an emoji of a bathroom scale or tape measure!)

There are plenty of really good trackers online, but since we are here on MFP, why don’t we explore what it has to offer. I’ve done screen-grabs of my settings, yours may look slightly different, but you will all get the ‘idea’...

When you sign into MFP, you will see the MFP logo, to the right you will see your MFP name, mail, help, settings and this is where you can log out. This is what MY window looks like:
vvj3wj935p1m.png
Beneath the gray ‘advertisement’ area, you will see ‘Your Fitness Goals’ and there is a link to ‘View Guided Setup’. Clicking that will allow you to check/update the information that you probably entered when you started MFP. Check this data and make adjustments and update your profile. MFP will accept your entries and bring you back the the original page and it will look like this:
jf2asmegr9cs.png
Underneath this banner, you will be able to see your suggestions (although, I know with the recent changes happening with MFP, some of these items are ‘locked’ if you are on the FREE version of MFP).
~ Daily Nutrition Goals
~ Micronutrients
~ Calories by Meal
~ Fitness

In addition (next to Goals) there is a section for Check-In. This is where you put your measurements and you can choose what to track from: Waist, Hips, Arms, Chest, and Legs. You can choose to track all of these or some. This is also where you can track your weekly weigh-ins.

From research that I have done, it seems that it is best to do your weigh-ins at the same time of the day after the same routine. But here is a great YouTube video on measuring success without getting caught up with the ‘numbers game’ on a scale. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmKGg6YrZc&t=9s

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER EVER supersede recommendations from your health care provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't physically do. If you are under a physician's care and are unable to exercise or you must limit your exercise to accommodate your specific needs, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓 Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #6: Starting Measurements with (optional) Before & After Photos

For this Pre-Challenge activity, please jump on that scale and take those measurements. Make this your ‘starting point. If you want to, take a picture of yourself at this point. Find that cute outfit that is just a little snug and pull it out of the closet, perhaps take a picture of you in that outfit. How does it feel?

Weigh yourself at the same time and under the same circumstances. Some choose to weigh-in daily; some weekly. There are no right or wrong answers here - just don’t get caught up with the numbers.

Get out the measuring tape - perhaps ½ way through the Challenge and again at the end,

How does that favorite outfit look/feel after 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, at the end of 8 weeks? Are you noticing a difference? Are you able to fit into that particular piece of clothing / outfit a little better? Now THAT’s progress and a NSV (non-scale victory).

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your self assessment for the 2023 Summer 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Summer 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 SUMMER 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activities (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):

** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887289/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input-ℹ️#latest

** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/post/editdiscussion/10887403

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887514/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-3-meal-plan/p1?new=1

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #4: Exercise Plan
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887598/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-4-exercise-plan/p1?new=1

**Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #5: Mindful Eating vs. Emotional Eating
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887650/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-5-mindful-eating-vs-emotional-eating#latest

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• 130StrongerEachYear
    130StrongerEachYear Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear the advice that measurements and weight are both important measures of health success. It is easy to weigh myself, but hard to to measure myself. Real need another person to help. I will figure this out.

• paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I consistently weigh myself weekly. When I'm in the challenge I do it at home but the rest of the time I use the scale at the gym and weigh-in on Tuesday mornings. I measure myself about monthly and log it into MFP. It's very rewarding to see those numbers go down.
  • Kristen525c
    Kristen525c Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I lost my measuring tape when I moved last year, so will have to replace it ASAP. I will weigh in weekly, as I am the type to get caught up in the numbers. My weight fluctuates so much from day to day that it would not be an accurate representation and would only serve to discourage me. I am also going to log my weight into the Happy Scale app. I like this app because it smooths out the fluctuations and makes predictions. That helps me stay motivated too!
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,288 Member
    Options
    Will do..but not posting pictures ...
  • Kristen525c
    Kristen525c Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I had my husband help me take measurements. So not fun, but I can't wait to take them again after this challenge.
  • 15Katharina06
    15Katharina06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    it is the first time I took measurements. And i didn t even know that i can make a photo with the weigh in. so I really have to thank you that you motivated me.
  • 1AncientSage
    1AncientSage Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    took my measurements. What a rude awakening! I will not be sharing a picture
  • amberlinamk1
    amberlinamk1 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This is something I always known about muscle and fat on the scale; however, it is always so hard to tell my mind that it’s ok when it goes up when you have been working so hard. This is one thing I have to work on. Also weighing just weekly, I have a tendency to weigh myself daily and I know that probably isn’t good either. As for the old clothes trick, I will have to try something else since I gave up on that trick a long time ago and got rid of all my old stuff. lol
  • ThursLins
    ThursLins Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I will weigh in weekly. (I do check it throughout the week, usually, just to see where I'm at. Impatient and all that....) Good idea with the measurements. I will take a photo, but not post it unless I have a good comparison later on. I will do the measurements & photo at the same time as the beginning weigh in for our summer challenge.
  • tech_hunter
    tech_hunter Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I just did this this morning!

Results:
    Neck: 14"
    Breasts: 46"
    Chest: 38"
    Waist: 39"
    Hips: 45"
    Thigh (left): 27 1/2"
    Calf (left): 16 3/4"
    Weight: 210 lbs.

Hope this shows a huge change when I come back to this at the end of the challenge!
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    bump