Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,103 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 and @pupowl I'm heading on vacation for the next two weeks and won't be as likely to remember to post my steps. I'll look to re-join the step challenge in August. Can I also pass on my weigh-ins for the next two Fridays? Thanks for keeping us all organized!

Gotcha @pedal__power Enjoy your vacation!
    Jessica
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 386 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    STEPS in JULY (so far):
    7/1-130
    7/2-7,865
    7/3-13,201
    7/4-1,166
    7/5-11,351

Now I have a Fitbit so it should be easier to keep track of daily steps. Sorry to do 5 days at once - I will try to post daily going forward. I will also check the manual to make sure I'm posting on the right place.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Challenged myself to hitting my step goal and an indoor 5k before noon today and I finished at 11:11am while also cleaning my kitchen and bathroom!! Feels good to be active and thank God for fans and AC too!

Hope you’re all having a wonderful day! Stay hydrated! 😊

@jessicakrall8 - You got a lot done on your holiday. Good for you! I hope you were able to balance out the day with some relaxing time after all your morning productivity!
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Cyncia85 wrote: »
    ganival wrote: »
    Zaxa2021 wrote: »
    Zaxa2021 Weigh in

Weigh-in Day: Wednesday
    PW: 146.2
    CW: 147.4

Weight Gain: 1.2 lbs

The gain is not surprising, due to PMSing on top of a day of a little splurging for the holiday. It's still disappointing though. The weight is definitely not coming off the way I want it to. I'm getting slightly frustrated with the very slow progress.

So my goal for the next week is to log everything. I hate logging, I find it tedious and annoying, but it is time to do it anyway. I'm also going to try to up the intensity of my workouts a little. Hopefully I'll see something more exciting next week.

I am also struggling with logging right now, you're not alone. I prefer to cook a meal from scratch rather than eat a nicely labelled and portioned packaged food. I know you can log a full recipe into meals but that would require me to weigh out ingredients etc...and I just can't be bothered as I don't often cook the same meal. Therefore when I eat my home cooked food, I'm guesstimating quite a bit on the portion size and calories, plus picking a random closely related item I can find in the database. Since I know accuracy is way off, mentally I stop wanting to track.

Seems like eating a frozen burrito is much easier to track but that is not what I want to eat right now. le sigh.

Hang in there and working out a bit more is a good plan!

I also struggle with the logging. I cook from scratch. It takes much longer to weigh everything - the ingredients and the finished product. Trying to get all those measurements adds steps and can create more dishes. I also like to try new foods/recipes. I've been trying to keep some of my cooking simple so I can log easier and not have to worry about creating a recipe.

@Cyncia85 @Zaxa2021
    The good thing is that if you're like most of us and you tend to cook the same things repetitively, once you enter all of your ingredients and store YOUR RECIPES, they'll remain there and then you just log from your recipes list in MFP. I envy that you have the time to cook from scratch...good for you!!
    Jessica

Hi Jessica - I remind myself of your comment to cook the same thing. Sometimes the things I cook on repeat vary a bit from time to time and I might eyeball the measurements. This brings up my perfectionism. It doesn't need to be perfect and exact. I also enjoy trying new foods/recipes. So the compromise was to try a new recipe once a week on the weekends when I've got more time. Also, bring my laptop to the kitchen. Adding a recipe to MFP is easier on the computer vs the phone.

Here's a logging question - if I marinate chicken, how do I calculate those ingredients? Main concern is the oil. Most of that marinade is going in the trash - so how do I know how much I'm consuming.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Username: kcpond
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    PW: 236.4
    CW: 236.6
  • Sbus12
    Sbus12 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Steps
    7/3 14,497
    7/4 6,158
    7/5 11,061
  • Cyncia85
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Zaxa2021 Weigh in

The gain is not surprising, due to PMSing on top of a day of a little splurging for the holiday. It's still disappointing though. The weight is definitely not coming off the way I want it to. I'm getting slightly frustrated with the very slow progress.

So my goal for the next week is to log everything. I hate logging, I find it tedious and annoying, but it is time to do it anyway. I'm also going to try to up the intensity of my workouts a little. Hopefully I'll see something more exciting next week.

I am also struggling with logging right now, you're not alone. I prefer to cook a meal from scratch rather than eat a nicely labelled and portioned packaged food. I know you can log a full recipe into meals but that would require me to weigh out ingredients etc...and I just can't be bothered as I don't often cook the same meal. Therefore when I eat my home cooked food, I'm guesstimating quite a bit on the portion size and calories, plus picking a random closely related item I can find in the database. Since I know accuracy is way off, mentally I stop wanting to track.

Seems like eating a frozen burrito is much easier to track but that is not what I want to eat right now. le sigh.

I also struggle with the logging. I cook from scratch. It takes much longer to weigh everything - the ingredients and the finished product. Trying to get all those measurements adds steps and can create more dishes. I also like to try new foods/recipes. I've been trying to keep some of my cooking simple so I can log easier and not have to worry about creating a recipe.

@Cyncia85 @Zaxa2021
    The good thing is that if you're like most of us and you tend to cook the same things repetitively, once you enter all of your ingredients and store YOUR RECIPES, they'll remain there and then you just log from your recipes list in MFP. I envy that you have the time to cook from scratch...good for you!!
    Jessica

Hi Jessica - I remind myself of your comment to cook the same thing. Sometimes the things I cook on repeat vary a bit from time to time and I might eyeball the measurements. This brings up my perfectionism. It doesn't need to be perfect and exact. I also enjoy trying new foods/recipes. So the compromise was to try a new recipe once a week on the weekends when I've got more time. Also, bring my laptop to the kitchen. Adding a recipe to MFP is easier on the computer vs the phone.

Here's a logging question - if I marinate chicken, how do I calculate those ingredients? Main concern is the oil. Most of that marinade is going in the trash - so how do I know how much I'm consuming.

Oil is one thing I make an effort to track, even if it's a guesstimate, given how calorie dense it is. If the marinade contains 3 tablespoons of oil for 3 chicken breasts, I might log 1 chicken breast and 1 teaspoon of oil as my serving.

I think part of tracking is just creating that awareness or association of portion sizes and calorie or macro level - depending on your metric of interest - even if accuracy is not always there.

@ganival That's a good rule of thumb.
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Zaxa2021 Weigh in

@Cyncia85 @Zaxa2021
    Jessica

If you're making your own marinade, you'll have to list each ingredient until you have the usual size "batch" of it that you use...if you're using a bottled marinade, it's pretty easy to use 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup as you're pouring it over the chicken to then rest/soak up the marinade for a few hours or overnight. Like you said...get as close as you can and then don't fret...try to always pad your day with a few exercise points and that will soak up anything you might under-estimate. It's not really a precise science...

I envy your ability to do much from scratch...I just don't have that gift. My mother was like that too...she made cooking look easy...never broke a sweat...used to sing/hum while she was cooking...she was so "in her element" and most of my favorite memories involve watching her cook or helping her bake. She had an uncanny knack at doing a whole meal and everything finishing at JUST the right time...

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Heya Shifters! Happy Friday Eve!

I got up early and walked a mile before work...really enjoyed it...then went into the office and had SUCH a productive day...tonight, I came home and walked over a mile again...just love my walking/clearing my head time...it's such a great way to "come down" from the pace of the day!

Hope y'all had a great day too! Our AC was fixed at the office right before noon and it was only in the low-mid 80s today, so no heat warning and no 99 degree heat index...

Gonna go finish the book I'm reading...have a great evening!

Tomorrow is Friday!! :smiley:
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Challenged myself to hitting my step goal and an indoor 5k before noon today and I finished at 11:11am while also cleaning my kitchen and bathroom!! Feels good to be active and thank God for fans and AC too!

Hope you’re all having a wonderful day! Stay hydrated! 😊

@jessicakrall8 - You got a lot done on your holiday. Good for you! I hope you were able to balance out the day with some relaxing time after all your morning productivity!

Hiya Patrice:

I really thrive on setting goals and meeting them...makes me proud of myself...also I'm working on trying to not to spend a lot and paying off the kitchen (another goal)...this way, I stayed home, exercised working on myself, didn't eat out, ate at home, didn't fight the heat/storms and enjoyed the day off! Couldn't have had a better day!

Jessica
  • dancingonstarz
    dancingonstarz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    dancingonstarz
    Friday
    PW: 160.8
    CW: 161 (+0.2)
    LTD: 5.6
  • Cyncia85
    Options
    Zaxa2021 Weigh in

@Cyncia85 @Zaxa2021
    Jessica

If you're making your own marinade, you'll have to list each ingredient until you have the usual size "batch" of it that you use...if you're using a bottled marinade, it's pretty easy to use 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup as you're pouring it over the chicken to then rest/soak up the marinade for a few hours or overnight. Like you said...get as close as you can and then don't fret...try to always pad your day with a few exercise points and that will soak up anything you might under-estimate. It's not really a precise science...

I envy your ability to do much from scratch...I just don't have that gift. My mother was like that too...she made cooking look easy...never broke a sweat...used to sing/hum while she was cooking...she was so "in her element" and most of my favorite memories involve watching her cook or helping her bake. She had an uncanny knack at doing a whole meal and everything finishing at JUST the right time...

Jessica

My mother was similar. She made cooking look easy as well. I was amazed at how my Mom could also cook an entire Thanksgiving feast and have the stuff done on time. I need a whiteboard to create a schedule to keep me on track. Thanks for sharing about your Mom, sweet memories <3
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    frankwbrown
    July week 1
    Weigh in day: Friday, July 7
    PW: 238.9
    CW: 240.6 ( gained 1.7 lbs; 0.71% this week)
This discussion has been closed.