Downsizers Team Chat - JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,798 Member
    Options
    @itladyee and @Megan_smartiepants1970 I feel for your losses. Furbabies are so precious.

@lindamtuck2018
    PW 232
    CW 232

Please excuse me from weighing next week as I will be away from the computer and will be in Alaska. See yall when I get back.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,468 Member
    Options
    tahm42 wrote: »
    @itladyee and @Megan_smartiepants1970 I feel for your losses. Furbabies are so precious.

@lindamtuck2018
    PW 232
    CW 232

Please excuse me from weighing next week as I will be away from the computer and will be in Alaska. See yall when I get back.

Thank you so much tahm42 :) Have a great trip :)
  • Slimmersixties
    Slimmersixties Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Slimmer sixties
    Friday weigh in

Pw 186.5
    Cw 186.3

Happy to be maintaining as we are having a heatwave in Spain with temperatures over 100°
  • aneedlecraft
    aneedlecraft Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    aneedlecraft
    Friday weigh-in
    PW: 318
    CW: 317
  • MyChoiceisaGoodLife
    MyChoiceisaGoodLife Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @MyChoiceisaGoodLife

Friday weigh-in: 7/21/23

PW: 158.2
    CW: 156.8

• NachDeezy
    NachDeezy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    itladyee wrote: »
    Daily Goals
    - Eating only at Hunger Level 3:
    - Water (Goal 64 oz) :
    - Increased intensity while walking on treadmill:

- THOUGHTS:
    Tuesday was not a good day for me.

We picked up Yoda (my 14 year old Puggle) from boarding Thursday evening. He didn't eat much then but he normally has an adjustment period after coming home. I really didn't pay attention on Friday as I was at work and my husband couldn't recall if he was "different" then.

Saturday - I put down food and took him out and noticed that he had not eaten his food. Unheard of for my dog! But he was drinking water like crazy...so much that I had to take the bowl away. And as you can guess, with all the water came the need to pee, and not always outside. Sunday, it was more of the same. We brough his puppy crate upstairs and started to crate him when we couldn't be right by his side.

Monday - I called the vet but they said they couldn't see him until Tuesday. Monday was the same and Tuesday seemed a bit better but...still not normal.

Long story short.

Yoda was diagnosed with having diabetes complicated by Keto acidosis, which is fatal in dogs.

Options presented:

A. Transfer to 24 hour facility to give him short term acting insulin and then we would need to continue with giving him injections twice a day once he's stabilized.

In 5 to 6 months he's probably be blind. The initial cost $5,000 - not including ongoing cost

B. Do nothing - He would probably die in a couple of days

C. Euthanize him - put him to sleep, today

It was a difficult decision but he was 14 years old and pretty much at his max.

I didn't want him to suffer or die at home.

I chose option C

I told them I would come and get him at 3:00 to spend some time with him and then we would be back at 4.

My husband drove me and I had him stop by McDonalds and got a cheese burger and fries for Yoda. I brought water and his bowl from home.

I wished I had brought more water and a blanket for him.

Went in to get him and when we were going outside, he still remembered to stop for a treat... (that's my Yoda).

We sat outside and he actually ate the people food. He wouldn't eat his food but treats and people food were acceptable!

The tough part - other than watching him be super thirsty and constantly peeing...he still seemed like normal Yoda. It's so much easier (keeping things in context) when they are lethargic and in obvious pain. He clearly was not.

The doctor assured me that in this case, we were making the best decision for Yoda.

So...it happened.

Very sad. The house seems so empty.

Here's a couple of pictures

The first one is one of his last shenanigans a couple of months ago. I was cleaning and through away some close hangers. He went dumpster diving. This is what I was greeting with when I returned from an errand. Scared me and I thought something was really wrong. The second one is one of his puppy pictures.

1lrz1nrthbci.jpg

zkr54tnnpia8.jpg

Step Challenge - Goal 8,500

7/16 2,225
    7/17 7,708
    7/18 8,400
    7/19 7,017
    7/20
    7/21
    7/22

Weigh in Day: Friday
    Starting - 212.7 6/30/2023
    7/7 - 213.7 Vacation start
    7/14 214.0 Vacation End
    7/21
    7/28
    Total

Sending love my friend💜 I'm so sorry.
  • NachDeezy
    Options
    Slimmer sixties
    Friday weigh in

Pw 186.5
    Cw 186.3

Happy to be maintaining as we are having a heatwave in Spain with temperatures over 100°

Stay cool over there my friend... way to hold the line!
  • NachDeezy
    Options
    aneedlecraft
    Friday weigh-in

🎉🎉
  • NachDeezy
    Options
    @MyChoiceisaGoodLife

Woohoo🍾
  • miltop53
    miltop53 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We lost our 17 1/2 year old tortise shell calico cat last night ... My daughter and I cried pretty much all night long...I have such a headache... Kylie my 18 year old calico cat isn't doing well .. I think she will be next :'(

Wow!! So sorry for your loss..
  • miltop53
    Options
    itladyee wrote: »
    Daily Goals
    - Eating only at Hunger Level 3:
    - Water (Goal 64 oz) :
    - Increased intensity while walking on treadmill:

- THOUGHTS:
    Tuesday was not a good day for me.

We picked up Yoda (my 14 year old Puggle) from boarding Thursday evening. He didn't eat much then but he normally has an adjustment period after coming home. I really didn't pay attention on Friday as I was at work and my husband couldn't recall if he was "different" then.

Saturday - I put down food and took him out and noticed that he had not eaten his food. Unheard of for my dog! But he was drinking water like crazy...so much that I had to take the bowl away. And as you can guess, with all the water came the need to pee, and not always outside. Sunday, it was more of the same. We brough his puppy crate upstairs and started to crate him when we couldn't be right by his side.

Monday - I called the vet but they said they couldn't see him until Tuesday. Monday was the same and Tuesday seemed a bit better but...still not normal.

Long story short.

Yoda was diagnosed with having diabetes complicated by Keto acidosis, which is fatal in dogs.

Options presented:

A. Transfer to 24 hour facility to give him short term acting insulin and then we would need to continue with giving him injections twice a day once he's stabilized.

In 5 to 6 months he's probably be blind. The initial cost $5,000 - not including ongoing cost

B. Do nothing - He would probably die in a couple of days

C. Euthanize him - put him to sleep, today

It was a difficult decision but he was 14 years old and pretty much at his max.

I didn't want him to suffer or die at home.

I chose option C

I told them I would come and get him at 3:00 to spend some time with him and then we would be back at 4.

My husband drove me and I had him stop by McDonalds and got a cheese burger and fries for Yoda. I brought water and his bowl from home.

I wished I had brought more water and a blanket for him.

Went in to get him and when we were going outside, he still remembered to stop for a treat... (that's my Yoda).

We sat outside and he actually ate the people food. He wouldn't eat his food but treats and people food were acceptable!

The tough part - other than watching him be super thirsty and constantly peeing...he still seemed like normal Yoda. It's so much easier (keeping things in context) when they are lethargic and in obvious pain. He clearly was not.

The doctor assured me that in this case, we were making the best decision for Yoda.

So...it happened.

Very sad. The house seems so empty.

Here's a couple of pictures

The first one is one of his last shenanigans a couple of months ago. I was cleaning and through away some close hangers. He went dumpster diving. This is what I was greeting with when I returned from an errand. Scared me and I thought something was really wrong. The second one is one of his puppy pictures.

1lrz1nrthbci.jpg

zkr54tnnpia8.jpg

Step Challenge - Goal 8,500

7/16 2,225
    7/17 7,708
    7/18 8,400
    7/19 7,017
    7/20
    7/21
    7/22

Weigh in Day: Friday
    Starting - 212.7 6/30/2023
    7/7 - 213.7 Vacation start
    7/14 214.0 Vacation End
    7/21
    7/28
    Total

It was so hard to read this. I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.... I have a 3yr old pug,and I have had him since he was 5weeks old.. I don't know what I would have done in that situation...Again,I'm very sorry...
  • miltop53
    Options
    My Steps

7/19:7012
    7/20:9841
    7/21:10,355
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    miltop53 wrote: »
    We lost our 17 1/2 year old tortise shell calico cat last night ... My daughter and I cried pretty much all night long...I have such a headache... Kylie my 18 year old calico cat isn't doing well .. I think she will be next :'(

Wow!! So sorry for your loss..

Thank you very much
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    tahm42 wrote: »

@lindamtuck2018
    PW 232
    CW 232

Enjoy your holiday. I would love to go on an Alaskan cruise. One day I will get there.
    Slimmer sixties
    Friday weigh in

Pw 186.5
    Cw 186.3

Stay cool and hydrated. I hibernate in the summer in the air conditioning. Can’t stand humidity.
    aneedlecraft
    Friday weigh-in

Well done!
    @MyChoiceisaGoodLife

Congrats!

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    Steps: 16,801
    Log food: ✔️
    Exercise: 4/4

Lots of exercise yesterday. I had almost 2 hours between laps and water exercises. This doesn’t count the time I spent stretching in the hot tub. My muscles are sore today. I am going grocery shopping myself as hubby is sick.

Hope you all are having a fantastic weekend!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    We lost our 18 year old calico cat at 12:30am ... I am devastated that I lost both my cats 4 days apart ... I am such a basket case today............RIP Mocha and Kylie <3
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 and @itladyee

I am so, so sorry for the loss of your precious fur babies. My sweet lil boycat Winston is 14 and I just hurt thinking that I have limited time left with him sending you each a huge hug.
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I decided to get a Fitbit versa. Should be delivered tomorrow!

PW 150.8
    CW 151.4

I know it is the wrong direction. I've been traveling for work and travel again next week (Tucson in July ugh). But I am excited about new Fitbit and think that will help me get back on the right track.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    The Week 4 Group Challenge is open and ready to begin on Sunday, Jul 23rd. Please join me this week as we start Making Plans. Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10895465/july-week-4-group-challenge-making-plans#latest

Hope to see you in the chat thread!
    Jessica
This discussion has been closed.