Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,634 Member
    Options
    Amazing meals going on here! I just had green soup for lunch - with some Armenian braided cheese on top instead of feta because I'm out of feta and so is my local store!!! This felt pretty fancy,

Having dinner in Toronto today with a friend today - a fellow vegetarian who is trying to eat healthy as he recovers from knee replacement - so it should be something tasty, yet reasonable (fingers crossed).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Fingers crossed because vegetarian is a wide spectrum my friend! The braided cheese sounds pretty fancy
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Dinner was okay - but insufficient and = a stop on the way home and too many make up calories. Over my goal by close to 500 calories - but now that I have logged everything it came in under maintenanceso I won't beat myself up too badly. Today feels dangerous - not bad so far - but I'm scared to go out!

The braided cheese is ridiculously delicious. Crazy salty - but no more so than feta ??? - makes a beautiful topping for the green soup. It is almost melty - and stringy - mmmmm. :)

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I am eating different today owing to getting up too early. So I'm having two meals and then not dinner. We'll see how this rolls for me.

Chicken quesadillas are a fine meal to end with, though. I always forget how simple and tasty they are.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    So the hibachi bowl was great... until half way through when my brain decided it did not like the texture of the chicken and thus we could no longer eat it. Ever since I got so sick, I am having more and more food issues like that.

This week we have 3 dinners:

Vegetable coconut curry over udon noodles
    Pork chops with mashed potatoes and green beans
    Chicken parmesan with pasta, garlic bread, and broccoli
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,851 Member
    Options
    Wow - I need to visit Athijade or Alexandra for dinner. My meals have been totally slapdash lately. It’s been 100+ degrees for over 30 days now. No rain either. Even indoors it’s oppressive. Kind of like winter cabin fever but in reverse.
    So today is a big salad and some rotisserie chicken cold.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Today seems to be so far. Cauliflower rice sesame flavored with lean cuisine, chicken and rice and konjac sticky rice, all of it happily blended together. And, oopsies, and pie. Not sure why we re discussing pie but there was a pie in the freezer and I know nothing except that three quarters of the pie are still in the freezer. The other quarter not as much. 🫣🙀
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    It was all good until the pie 🥧. How did that get in your freezer Mr. PAV?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm amazed you have 3/4 of a pie in the freezer!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    There were two pies in the large freezer. One is a pumpkin pie (three guesses when the last pumpkin pie sales took place) and this one is a "try me I'm on an introductory sale" pie I got a couple of months back.... because it was on sale!!!!

Pick a piece of purple pie—it will surely catch your eye. But it’s not just a visual delight; it’s a pie like no other. The star of this dessert is ube, a purple yam popular in Filipino cuisine. It’s commonly used in cheesecakes, puddings, cakes and ice cream. We wondered, could ube be pie-ified?

In the hands of our PC® Product Developers, anything is possible.

We started with a toasty graham crust, with shredded coconut for extra flavour. Next, we mixed ube purée (for its sweetness and electrifying colour) with condensed milk for a silky, custard-like texture. But a pie this bold needed something unexpected (yes, even more unexpected than the colour).

Take a bite and you’ll discover boba from freshly made tapioca pearls. Now that’s a pie that’s ready for its grand entrance!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    The ube pie sounded pretty good. Like an elevated sweet potato pie - until you got to the boba part. Nothing good about slimy little boba pearls in your food. So, how’d it taste 👅?
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You know what @Yoolypr?

You're a pretty dang perceptive babushka if you ask me!!!

So the ube part is AWESOME. The crust is REALLY GOOD. The relatively dry and not particularly tasty pearls? JUST A NET DETRACTOR!

I think the bobas make me bobo according to what a Philippino would call me for buying them!

The calories? Downright awful in terms of satiety to calories is the kindest thing I have to say!!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I was looking at that pie in the freezer at my local no-frills and though I was a little bit intrigued by its colour I had no desire to try it…
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I’m glad I didn’t waste the calories
  • Yoolypr
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Not sure if these 4inch pies are sold at Walmart in Canada.
    But they’re tasty and 260 calories for the whole pie.
    r19dt78r3zx2.jpeg
    txdh3tz3e8ys.jpeg

• PAV8888
    Options
    have seen "similar" 260 to 330 Cal single packs at the Superstore sometimes
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Finished my last patient at 7 so hubby made dinner. Spaghetti with meat sauce. He’s making an effort but pasta is a lot of calories for a little bit of food. He left all the thing’s separate so I could weigh and count correctly but I’m still hungry and don’t have many calories left. Sigh.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hmmm. Should go get some of that beetroot spiral stuff, it was awesome for spaghetti sauce albeit a bit monochromatic. Butternut squash better colour but beets more filling I thought and more tasty.
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2023
    Options
    With Ms mom-scout throwing in the pasta word and me being a bit low on calories due to the vanilla cone research project I decided to get some help from the Bunnies!

So grabbed a 700 Cal lemon garlic shrimp scallop pasta meal kit... which would probably be one meal or less by itself and added 8.7 bunnies to it (400g of kohlrabi spirals which meshed nicely with the linguine in the kit and 340g of green giant cauliflower rice with mixed veg because I eyeballed the need for some extra veg near the end of the cooking process and that was all that was handy! :flushed:) which both together added just a tad more than 200 Cal to the total.

Split it into two 450 Cal meals... enabling the research to continue!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    KOHLRABI spirals!!!!! 😳