Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    The best intentions…..I made a beautiful salad and immediately dropped it and it went everywhere….I might have tried to salvage some of it but I mean, it went everywhere!…plus I need to vacuum and mop so I had to throw all of it down the garbage disposal….had a Sloppy Jo with some sliced tomatoes!…..
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    Yikes. That sucks.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    After indulging in fine Greek food yesterday, we went out to a family style Italian restaurant with friends today! There was spaghetti marinara, eggplant parmigiana and chicken parmigiana. And a wonderful salad 🥗 too.
    So two days of eating at or somewhat above maintenance. But I tell myself it’s not everyday even if lately it is! There will be some penitential eating 🥺tomorrow. Back to the gym Monday too. 🏋️‍♀️
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That sounds like a meal my son would just go crazy for - he loves shish tawook. He often picks up a side order at a local middle eastern restaurant - and I supply the veggie options. Sometimes adding falafel for me :) but as PAV has shared - they are pretty dear calorie wise.

The green beans in tomato sauce have caught my fancy today! Perfect hot weather fare.

You've been living it up, Yooly. Glad you are enjoying yourself. It has been a crazy few years. The gym and your penitential eating will get you through this okay.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I can give the recipe I use, if you want it.

• lauriekallis
    Options
    I can give the recipe I use, if you want it.

Thank you, Alexandra - but I avoid the fleshy things as much as possible. Made something similar for my older son's wedding rehearsal dinner - but all that chicken prepping and skewering was NO fun! I might make it again when the younger one marries - but that might be awhile :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    You could use seitan? I made some from scratch ONCE!😹
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I could - but not a big enough fan to go through the trouble...lol. Not sure how a dairy based marinade would work with seitan? For some reason I thought it was pretty flavourful on its own??
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I confess I don’t know what any of those foods are. Shish tawook, seitan? Now I have to do some research 🧐
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Google will probably be more helpful than I :) I can tell you that many people I know love shish tawook!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,973 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Dinner was homemade Pasta Al Forno.....500g farfalle oven-baked in a bechamel sauce, with pancetta, onion, funghi porcini, peas and parmigiano. 660 calories a portion (500g pasta made 4 servings).

Carb and calorie dense, but justifiable as I'm doing a two-hour 60km turbo ride starting at 20:30...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds fantastic, Bella!

I'm having a salad - because it has been a weird day. Didn't have salad fixings on hand at the usual salad time so had lentil stew early in the afternoon - and salad now....this exact moment :)
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    The most complicated food I make is probably stuffed manicotti…it’s so hard to get that ricotta mixture in the tubes!…I also make a carrot cake from scratch about once every five years….
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Today will be a picnic in the park with The Boy. His house is completely upside down, so I'm picking him up from school and we are going to the local park - splashbad, lots of play equipment, some down time with a picnic seems like it will end his day nicely. Not sure what this picnic will entail? He doesn't like to eat at school, and it is a particularly long day for him so he will be really hungry. I'm thinking veggies weiners on a stick with a dish of ketchup for dipping, roasted potato wedges and ??? watermelon ??? a chocolate pudding snack pack???

I'll have a salad at lunch to compensate for the weird dinner :) and bring a couple of the sugar free chocolate puddings for me - and a treat for the pup!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Cauliflower fried rice with shrimp 🍤. I just steamed the cauliflower veggie mix rather than fry in oil. Dash of teriyaki sauce and all was good.

Hubby and son had lobster ravioli with Alfredo sauce. The quantity of ravioli Alfredo for resulting mass calories wasn’t worth the effort. I was just fine with my planned meal.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    bring a couple of the sugar free chocolate puddings for me - and a treat for the pup!

Just make sure to keep the puddings away from the pup. They have Xylitol in them! Have fun!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You mean you FRY your cauli-rice?!?!?!!? :hushed:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You mean you FRY your cauli-rice?!?!?!!? :hushed:

Got the cauliflower fried rice in a frozen 4 pack at Costco. The instructions said to sauté contents of the packet in two tablespoons of oil to crisp it up/brown like real fried rice. I just emptied the packet into bowl and microwaved. Worked for me!

However I may try the fry method in the future to see how that tastes. Maybe less oil?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I just nuke mine! Cause... nuked! Both the Costco pack and alternative smaller ones from "normal" stores :wink: There are two "extras" I've done sometimes/often/depending on the degree of whining: mix in regular rice in 1 rice to 2 cauli for me, and 2 rice 1 cauli for the noisemaker. Or... are you ready? Use a 5g blister pack of whipped butter (Tim Horton's tends to give them out with baked goods up here in these parts!) But that's when I am being "indulgent" :lol: