Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    It is too hot in Florida, too….high 90s all week and the humidity is awful….I honestly do not cook much differently in the summer than I do in the winter except for soups that I save for cooler winter nights…we keep our air on 74 most of the time…I like all of the blinds open year round…I love pasta salads but they have so many calories I don’t eat them too much….
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,844 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Today was cereal and vanilla Greek yogurt for dinner. We had some salmon and salad for lunch.
    We definitely rotate summer and winter foods. Not so much about heating up the kitchen but more about how we were raised. There was always a shift to lighter fare in hot weather.

Our thermostat is at 78. I’d lower it but hubby complains of cold then. For me an optimal day is 65-70F. Maybe it’ll happen by December?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Too hot! Melting! :blush: And it's all of 80 Outside :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 2022
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Too hot! Melting! :blush: And it's all of 80 Outside :wink:

Wuss! I’ll trade your 80 for my 104. 🥵

Back to cereal and yogurt for my dinner - peach flavor today.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Fridays are Mexican night, and the menu said walking burritos, so since I had leftover pulled beef filling from making enchiladas they had that. I did not as I know I mixed a slug of Taco Bell's Fire sauce into that meat, and that is too hot for me. I had some carne asada from the batch I did yesterday.

(If it sounds like I have been doing ALL THE COOKING, why yes, I have. Tonight I have about sixteen personal pizzas to make.)
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We had chicken tenders “ fried” in olive oil, roasted fresh asparagus, and salad with light dressing…kitchen sharing is a nightmare at our house right now!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I went to the "special" grocery store last week I picked up some of those veggie sausages I love so much... Three different types...woohoo!

So I think I'll be having a salad for lunch today and a veggie sausage and potatoes and sauerkraut for dinner. Not too hot here right now - today is a perfect weather day in my mind... 24 degrees Celsius and sunny with a beautiful breeze🙂
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ll be having a salad with a few dolmas on the side. They’re the canned ones from Trader Joe’s and not too bad. I’ll rinse them off a bit as they’re packed in oil. Could use some of the oil with vinegar to dress the salad?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I fixed a bow tie Greek pasta salad with Skinny Girl Italian dressing and baked bbq chicken tenders…..dessert was Raspberry Yasso yogurt bars!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I finally tried the shirataki rice (specifically, Liviva brand rice-shaped organic shirataki with oat fibre).

Took me months because I had the heebie jeebies about it coming packed in water.

It was delicious! I made a fried rice meal with the Shirataki rice, eggs, peas, green beans and peppers. The is basically no calories in the shirataki rice - 5 calories for one third of the package.

Just finished...we'll see if there are any digestive issues. I'll keep you updated.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Good for you Laurie! I felt kind of bad for scaring you from the shiitake noodles. They weren’t good for me but hope it works for you. New food! 👍
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I don't see any digestive issues... other than that after a pack... I sort of need to, for sure, have access to a nice looking clean bathroom for a few minutes (or hours) the next day! :lol: But then again I always need that anyway!!!! :innocent::wink: :lol: They ARE filling (as in taking up room.... you COULD still get actual hungry / need calories hungry even though I am full.... if you still actually need a LOT of calories!
    Options
    It is possible to make a 35 calorie 16 ounce iced caramel mocha latte. Since it has been so hot I have made a couple of them in pint jars, put a lid on them, and let my partners (who are coffee drinkers) enjoy them as a treat.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    So far so good with the shirataki rice 🙂

You must share your recipe Alexandra!!!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    HOW 35 Cal iced CARAMEL MOCHA LATTE? I mean... the milk by itself?!??!?!?! :neutral:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Soon we will know, PAV and that will be the summer drink!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I also make a lean mean frozen coffee drink!….cold brewed coffee, sweet n low packet, 2 T. French vanilla coffee creamer 35 calories, add ice and put in the blender!
    Options
    I do these in pint jars because I have them and it's convenient.
    Brew a cup of coffee. Add 1/4 c. splenda per pint, and three pumps mocha syrup and three pumps vanilla caramel syrup. Add 4 tablespoons fat free half-and-half. (I have not tried this with any nut milks) Put lid on, shake up, put in the fridge to chill through.

We got some of the Jordan's Skinny Syrups, and they are tasty. Zero calories, zero carbs, and we have peanut butter cup, mint chocolate chip, vanilla caramel, mocha, and caramel pecan. There are several more flavors we intend to get cause they look good.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Where get Jordan?!?! Where get FAT FREE HALF AND HALF???? What the **kittens** is a fat free half and half if it is a half and half. GOOOOOOOGLE REPORT FOR DUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!