Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    I prefer the option to add high quality olive oil (or no oils) and how much vs the default industrial oils used in oil packed fish. So it has been water pecked for years now! Bet you could add cucumber and onions to that!!!!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,818 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I prefer the option to add high quality olive oil (or no oils) and how much vs the default industrial oils used in oil packed fish. So it has been water pecked for years now! Bet you could add cucumber and onions to that!!!!

I added onion, roasted red peppers, and a good blob of hot roasted hatch chilies. I did add a little good olive oil. But just can’t do the tuna packed in oil. Might make this with shrimp or tutti di mare.
  • PAV8888
    Unbelievable how nicely Calories can add up if you're randomly moving along.

First off, in spite of numbers consumed, it was still a deficit day as it was fairly active playing box Tetris and avoid the falling chair in a little u-box from u-haul.

But a breakfast, light lunch, snack and dinner.... without really stopping to eat... straight to just over 3k calories!

2 egg McMuffin (yes, they're on special). 3 slices of medium pizza (360g). A cliff bar. Some cheese, two wasa and 3 bunnies of tomato. And a Tim Horton chili (with bun).

Doesn't sound as innocent spelled out. But I had to go back and look at it to figure out why calories were so high given I didn't recall any memorable eating!!!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Had a carne asada wrap for lunch, and will be doing cheese and chicken quesadillas for dinner. I used to regularly do these on Mondays for lunch, but I know that Boyfriend was missing them, so I moved it to Sunday evening instead. They also are something where if we decide to do something else, it's all freezer/shelf stable ingredients, so no problem.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Unbelievable how nicely Calories can add up if you're randomly moving along.

First off, in spite of numbers consumed, it was still a deficit day as it was fairly active playing box Tetris and avoid the falling chair in a little u-box from u-haul.

But a breakfast, light lunch, snack and dinner.... without really stopping to eat... straight to just over 3k calories!

2 egg McMuffin (yes, they're on special). 3 slices of medium pizza (360g). A cliff bar. Some cheese, two wasa and 3 bunnies of tomato. And a Tim Horton chili (with bun).

Doesn't sound as innocent spelled out. But I had to go back and look at it to figure out why calories were so high given I didn't recall any memorable eating!!!

They do add up! I looked at that and realized how I've dropped my portions, as I would probably get close to too full sensation eating one egg Mcmuffin. (shakes head) Sometimes you suddenly realize how much you've changed things.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,761 Member
    Breakfast was a homemade rhubarb, banana, raspberry and greek yoghurt smoothie
    Lunch was homemade houmous with a huge salad
    Dinner was grilled gammon steak, boiled Jersey Royals and a ton of veggies (broccoli, carrot, green beans and peas).

It feels good to get some vitamins in after my week of eating cake and drinking cider.

First turbo ride tonight in over a week too...a 90 minute group ride starting at 9pm...

Yay, back on track!
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 2022
    Had to do some Googling! I don’t think we have Jersey Royal potatoes. Gammon steak is what we’d call ham steak but needs cooking? It sounds like a wonderful meal. Better for you than cake and cider.
    Happy for you getting back on track immediately. 👍
  • Bella_Figura
    Yep, a gammon steak is usually grilled...it's a staple of pub menus, where it's usually served with chips and a fried egg on top...or grilled pineapple (yuk) in place of the egg. Peas if you're very lucky and it's a posh pub!

Jersey Royals are the king of new potatoes. Grown only on the tiny island of Jersey in the English channel. An exquisite flavour, and only available for a few short months in late spring and early summer. Like ambrosia when you add a knob of butter, but still good even when just boiled and served hot or cold.
  • Yoolypr
    Mangoes were on sale 3 for 99 cents this week. So there were fresh mangoes 🥭 at breakfast and a snack later. Have to get some more before the sale ends.
    I admit to liking grilled pineapple but it has to be fresh not canned.
  • Bella_Figura
    edited June 2022
    I like fresh pineapple (either raw or grilled) but I don't like it in combination with anything savoury. IMHO it should be eaten on its own, with other fresh fruit or with ice-cream. Nothing else.

Putting pineapple on a pizza is an abomination.

Mmmmm mangoes. Now that's something worth buying on sale!
  • PAV8888
    I don't know about mangos! But I admit to "usually" eating one egg McMuffin (or more commonly NONE) as opposed to two! But... they ARE on sale! Limited time ONLY... and I don't forget my SENIORS' coffee!:wink: (55+ :lol: )
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 2022
    Egg McMuffins aren’t so bad and a good deal on sale. Especially when you’re not able to eat at home. And within your calorie budget so why not?

Some things on sale are just recreational shopping - like 2 chocolate pies - and appeal to our hamsters 🐹.
  • PAV8888
    but i have a guilty secret! BLT egg mcmuffins x 2 = 720 Cal 40 Cal (no butter) = 680 + extra Tomato (+6) + 3x slivered onions = 10-15 = about 700 Cal :blush:

Still working on that second pie... not much left though! :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Been eating horribly. First I was in Chicago 2 weekends ago so I did not keep track at all of what I ate. Lots of dessert. Cake for breakfast one morning. Big plate of German food. That sort of thing. Then I got home that Sunday night, had 2 good days, and then got sick on Wednesday. Been fighting a cold or whatever since then. Not Covid thankfully. Since I didn't feel well when I did my meal plan for this week, I went with super simple... but not so healthy. Hot dogs with corn on the cob and mac and cheese (will last 2 dinners and 1 lunch) and Ham and Cheese sliders with chips/dip and cole slaw (will last the rest of the week).

Tonight though I have leftover deep dish pizza that I refuse to waste so I will be eating that. I also will most likely have it for lunch too.

Going to have to keep things easy for awhile though. I need to start getting ready to move so I am not rushing when it does happen.
  • PAV8888
    You can always add a crap load of bunnies to whatever you're eating and transform it into both more filling for the calories and more acceptable nutritionally

Every single thing you listed can be eaten with a large salad or a side (or more) of veggies. (And in my personal case a side of veggies starts at 350g 😹 -- just over 🐰🐰🐰 🐰)

Think frozen green beans, carrots (or a bag of fresh ones), beets, even higher calorie peas or corn.

Open bag, nuke, season, eat!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,609 Member
    Great advice, PAV. I'm going to try to take it on - starting with supper today. Too easy to get into that "gotta cook 'something'" state of mind. No. Don't "gotta." Just open bag! (I might kinda half boil/half steam mine though).
    edited June 2022
    Tonight was chicken from a cookbook written about 1350 CE....Almond milk is made with pomegranate juice, the chicken is fried just to white on all sides in bacon drippings, then cooked slowly in the pomegranate almond milk with ginger, bay, mace, black pepper, and cassia. It comes out so tender it barely needs a knife, and is subtly complicated, sweet and sour and a little warm all at once.

I normally focus on the Forme of Cury, but the Liber de Coquina is also excellent, though as different as a modern cookbook focusing on Italian cooking versus French cooking.

https://youtu.be/tkQzxCN3te0
  • Yoolypr
    I am beyond impressed by your culinary expertise Alexandra! 🤩
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I am beyond impressed by your culinary expertise Alexandra! 🤩

I spent my twenties doing historical reenacting focused on the Middle Ages, and cookery was my thing. I have always said that if I really wanted to impress a big name foodie, I'd feed him some of the Anglo-Norman recipes I've redacted. It's not a flavor profile like anything today, but it's utterly delicious.
  • PAV8888
    Just wow Alexandra! My only problem with you and your cooking would be the.... controlling the calories bit!

And thanks to yoolie 😡🤬😠 I'm out of both calories and double chocolate pie since she just had to remind me it was there!!!🐹🤬 So the rest of it has to come in at the lower end 🤣