Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    Love those veggie fries, PAV, but even they are a bit dear on the calorie front? Parfried????

They are a President's Choice brand product, Yooly - a higher end store brand up here connected with Loblaws.

Supper tonight for me is some soup I pulled out of the freezer a few days ago when The Boy was here. He had dreams of soup and popcorn for lunch but we had peanut butter and crackers instead. And popcorn later..lol
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    Frozen. Snazzy too. President choice veggie fries. Remember Canuck dollars are worth less!

https://www.presidentschoice.ca/product/pc-ready-veggie-fries-–-carrot-parsnip-and-beet/21398244_EA
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,823 Member
    Options
    I checked a few local sources for root veggie fries. Available at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods - upscale pricier stores. But I may indulge and get some next time I stop there. Otherwise I’ll stick with sweet potato fries which are easier to get here. It’s hard to find parsnips or beets here in raw form much less frozen.
    Now avocados, mangos, tomatillos, limes, papaya, chili of any kind, no problemo!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    We had Kung Pao pork with white rice and "mixed Asian vegetables" from a steamer bag. They look pretty on the plate and are apparently tasty, so it's fine. (They include broccoli, so I don't dare.)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    My soup for supper turned into a salad (field greens, peppers, cucumbers and grape tomatoes with hummus, balsamic vinegar and strawberries) - it was delicious!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Chinese buffet. 11 people. Nuff said! 🙀🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Oooh Chinese buffet! I have not allowed myself to go to any kind of buffet place in years. I think maybe when I feel a bit stronger I can try one again. We have some really good Chinese buffets here.
    In the old days I worked a few blocks from the Sea Dragon buffet where many gigantic lunches were eaten. Don’t know how I managed to stay awake at my desk and edit anything in the afternoons.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You are so wise, Yooly.

The idea of going to a buffet and eating moderately just sounds so alien to me at the moment?

My headspace going in would be to indulge - and make up for it later. And then that wouldn't happen because the indulging would send me on a tailspin. So the smart me is saying no buffets for me anytime soon - the currently dominant part of my brain is saying WTF - let's go baby.

I'm in a very weird place. It feels as if I have been maintaing a really high deficit - but that is not the case. Brain/hormones/mystery player/hamsters ??? are all running rampant these days. I'm not giving up - but WOW just WOW it is a weird place. Somewhere I thought I would never be again.

Thankful for your thoughtful, measured words, Yooly. Though I'm probably not at the point where I'm following them - they have entered my conciousness and are making there way further into my psyche (I hope).
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Yes you are in a weird place now. Grieving the move of your son’s family. Hang on and give it some time. You can’t be perfect but try a little each day.
    Perhaps doing a weekly menu or preplanning grocery shopping. Measure one meal at a time. Small changes that might help you get back to where you need to be.
    When you’re ready you’ll know.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Laurie... too many things, right? The Texas lass is correct. You should listen to her!!!!

And of course I over-over ate and avoidance of buffets for ALL of us, myself included, is probably a better idea than not!

Then again, which is totally weird, I was feeling hungry at 3am and decided to ignore it and just go to bed. Today I looked and, with the Chinese unlogged, I had 2750 Cal left... and that's with a 250 deficit. So it is unlikely it was more than minor damage whatever the total was... moving garbage and boxes does seem to consume calories whether real or Fitbit imaginary :wink:

... and confirmed... resting HR is down one since yesterday, so this means that yesterday was at worst a wash and that once again body logging is better than the human logging (I swear I was actually thinking of a "nut bar" right before going to bed, and not because I was bored!)
  • Yoolypr
    edited July 2022
    Options
    My ban on all-you-can-eat buffets included the last cruise we took (out of Vancouver by the way). Pretty hardcore. But dealing with sit down restaurant meals was hard enough while I was actively restricting. Buffets are 😈😈😈!

A note for Laurie- when we did our military moves close friendships and routines were formed over several years. Then the time came to move. I always hoped we’d ship out first.The ones left behind have to fill the sudden emptiness. The ones who moved away are off to new adventures.

So you’re in the unenviable position of filling the void. Try to stay busy, find new things to do, join groups - none of which may last but serve to break up the your daily routines. And sometimes just indulge your sadness.
    It does get easier with time. 😍
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank-you both 😘😘
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hey Laurie! Maybe we'll ship you to new adventures to the west coast to play with eyeglasses!!!!! Now THAT would be a break in routine! Except for the not ready status at the destination side of things!!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That should happen in our future - eyeglasses thing : )
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I've had a levantine-inspired salad for dinner:

The base was finely shredded white cabbage, julienned carrot, cucumber, heritage red and purple tomatoes, yellow pepper, red onion, parsley and a little chopped fennel. Dressed with a quick grind of salt and pepper, and the juice of half a lemon.

Then I added three ingredients I've never used in a salad before: freekeh, preserved lemon and pul biber (Aleppo pepper). The freekeh was nutty and slightly smoky...similar in texture to bulgur wheat. Nice. And the preserved lemon and pul biber added an amazing depth of flavour - they punched above their weight in terms of taste contribution.

The protein came from homemade falafel and 40g halloumi dry-fried in a non-stick pan.

Delicious.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds delicious, Bella! Though you had me in Google land for the freekeh and pul biber :) Here in Canada Pull Bieber might have an entirely different meaning!
  • Yoolypr
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Today was —- well, some goldfish crackers and cheese cause it was 110 degrees (43C) outside. Just couldn’t do the nutritional eating thing.
    However tomorrow I have a nice salad nicoise planned even if I am living on the plains of Hades.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Wow. That is crazy hot, Yooly.
    Since "summer" officially hit here - we have had perfect weather. In the mid 20s (high 70s) - very low humidity - lots of sun - enough rain to keep the gardens going. Just amazing. I don't remember a summer so nice as what we have had so far.

Supper tonight a salad, veggies and strawberries, with some extras - hummus and bocconcini cheese - so good!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Last night was pizza.
    Today is going to be a Chinese feast since Eldest Son will be here to eat it. I should pull the stuff out of the freezer for that....
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Last night was frozen Swanson something supposedly she's like cheesy chicken with two portions of Trace vegetables. Thankfully had some extra Frozen vegetables on hand to actually get three or four real bunnies out of it! Apparently Clif bars are a real food group good for about 50% of one's daily calories 🙀🙀🙀🤷🏻‍♂️🥺