Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Woke up with headache. Definitely feeling the urge to cook something with bunnies and have it ready to eat. Spent 550 Cal at mcd with a bacon egg lettuce and tomato before the day warmed up. Hiding in the shadows now and sorting open from closed liquor 😹 say... 1995 🙀 tequila sausa in a glass Perrier bottle... perfectly safe, right ???? 🤔
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Stick with the bunnies!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Had a pizza tonight because I spent a good chunk of the afternoon running plywood through the table saw and I just was not in the mood to actually cook.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    John and I split a ribeye steak that was excellent….I had sliced tomatoes and fresh steamed green beans with it…..dessert was ice cold watermelon!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Cajun dinner today. Boudain sausage, bean and corn salsa. I’ve got to measure carefully because it’s calorie loaded food. But yummy. 👅
  • PAV8888
    Options
    If it wasn't that scorching down there I'd be angling for a visit!

So far my plan includes the "two sitting" 600 Cal box of raisin and blackcurrant crackers... scooping up plain Greek yogurt! Crackers are done.... but there is some logged yogurt left! 🤔 Got to find a 🐇🐰
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Everything sounds delicious. Blackcurrants in those cookies have to be worth at least one bunny ear?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    But that will leave you with an almost hamster!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Pft... shoved a 750g bag of yellow and green wax beans and carrots and slathered it with a 650g jar of Classico (I think I picked the tomato pesto one) and boiled it (read: nuked it at 50% to save on pot clean up) till it cried was ready! Served over a 240g pouch of quinoa-brown-rice... about half of it left for dinner. There: bunnies! :wink:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Oh yummy ( eye roll ) back to green beans and spaghetti sauce lol….

We had beef stir fry with a ton of vegetables and rice…..
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It's all in the spices... and the coffee! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Been experimenting with homemade pesto using little oil. Handful of pecans/walnuts and pecorino for flavor. Made the usual basil first. Moved on to spinach and basil combined.

Recently made a cilantro pesto because cilantro is way cheaper than fresh basil here. Three big bunches of fresh cilantro are about one dollar. Lots of flavor. Small dabs are good in fish tacos, pasta, as salad dressing base, sauces.

Of course- you have to like the taste of cilantro.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,896 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Yooly can't you grow your own basil? This is mine on my kitchen windowsill. Grown from seed, and it's now huge...

84vs6zcchcd0.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ve grown basil in the past but mainly in winter. Putting anything on a sunny windowsill results in incinerated plants. I keep the shades drawn from May through September! Everyday this month has been 100-106 degrees. We’ve had nearly 40 days over one hundred thus far and plenty more to come in the next three months. Even cactus plants die on my windowsills. 🌵🌵🌵
    So it’s the grocery store for my herbs. I do have a nice bay tree outside that loves the heat.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,896 Member
    Options
    Dinner is chilling in the fridge, ahead of this evening. I cooked a whole bag of giant wholewheat couscous in vegetable stock, then stirred through a heaped serving bowl of roasted veg (carrot, onion, red/yellow/orange pepper, cherry tomatoes, courgette and globe artichoke), then added some cooked peas, chopped dried apricots and paprika for extra colour and warmth. It'll keep me going for about a week.

We're having this served with a grilled chicken breast that is currently marinating in the fridge in a little bath of lemon juice, olive oil and north african spices.

Yummy.

Nothing like roasting veggies for 75 minutes on a day when the thermometer has finally hit 40 degrees. It's a UK record...
    Options
    Tonight it's grilled center cut pork chops with mashed cauliflower (them) and wild rice pilaf (me) with green beans tossed with bacon drippings and black pepper (them). There will also be a yeast roll with butter.

Winds up being about 450 calories for me, which is a good dinner.

These days I'm eating about 500 calories over the 6 hours before noon, then a 300-400 calorie lunch, then a 450-500 calorie dinner, and that's proving to be pretty comfortable for me. I know when the dog comes I'll start losing weight again because I'll be sitting less and moving more, and going on walks to keep him happy. I won't walk for myself, but I'll walk for the dog's sake.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Tired dog is a good dog.

If she ain't tired... you have a problem!

Do you have trails nearby?
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Tired dog is a good dog.

If she ain't tired... you have a problem!

Do you have trails nearby?

We have a park not too far away, but our suburb is very walkable. There's a fair quantity of dogs up and down the street every morning and evening, so Sergeant Pickles will be happy doing that as a regular walk and checking the "peemail" to see what's going on. A full loop of my "block" is about four miles total, which is not a short walk, and should do many days if it happens twice, plus when the weather is a little less muggy we can go to the local dog park. He's seven years old so while he has a lot of get up and go I don't want to push him too much until I have a good feeling for his limits.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    7yo is not old. But... you would be surprised as to how few limits there are -- absent extreme heat or extreme cold. Mind you... heat is a problem over there isn't it...
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    7yo is not old. But... you would be surprised as to how few limits there are -- absent extreme heat or extreme cold. Mind you... heat is a problem over there isn't it...

The regular extremes around here are in the range of heat up to 37 degrees C. with 99% humidity, and we can get lows of -10 C in the winter. Currently our weather is 30 degrees high with 84% humidity, and 20 degree low overnight. I am good with this as when it stays hot overnight it's
    harder to take. But I do have the A/C on in the house to knock the humidity down.