Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I use a jarred alfredo and it's not terrible. I'm just not as fond of it as I am of red sauce, though. Pasta's a winter dish for us. In this weather, I just don't want spaghetti, thanks.

Tonight we had chicken quesadillas. Tomorrow's going to be another medievally inspired dinner. I marinaded the pork chops for it on Friday so they will have a good flavor. We'll see how they turn out.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    Options
    One day... I WILL get to eat chez medieval Alexandra's!!! :blush:

In the meanwhile there was "Indian inspired rice" (broccoli slaw, and a pouch of veggie biryani (350Cal) and a pouch of basmati ( 350Cal) and 6g of oil and 457g broccoli coleslaw. And a 400g pack of tandoori chicken thighs from Costco (plus 100g of mango chutney).

All in all tasty but a pretty expensive way to do things in more ways than one (my larger than half share of dinner was close to 1200 Cal)

Reminder: Fruit bunnies galore are available in the fridge and waiting to be consumed!!!
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I have nine different 16 oz lattes in the fridge waiting for the people who like them. They're about half caff and half decaff. Caramel mocha, turtle (caramel pecan chocolate) and chocolate mint. Going to get peppermint syrup next paycheck cause peppermint mochas were requested.

Also about a dozen quart jars of iced tea. I haven't wanted to eat much but I am drinking ALL THE TEA.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Oh to have someone make my culinary whims on request! Left to my own devices I’m pretty boring and repetitive.
    Options
    (laugh) We do have a spare room for someone to rent.

It's not so much that I mind boring and repetitive, until the point that I do, and then I won't eat it for another year or so. I'm there with English muffins at the moment; I ate them for breakfast for two years and now I DO NOT WANT. (shrug) Hence, muffins that I make at home and hopefully by varying the flavor I won't decide I don't want a muffin for breakfast until I get over the issue with the English muffins.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    Looking at apartments in Chicago has made me realize I will have to rethink my grocery shopping and how I eat. There is a lot less storage! So I can't have a packed freezer and pantry. Plus I will most likely be selling my car so I have to be able to either bring my shopping home while walking or on public transportation OR I will have to have groceries delivered. It will be a different way of doing things.

Tonight though I am making a steak, baked potato, and roasted zucchini. Later this week I am making lemon chicken and rice with a side of asparagus and my favorite hibachi bowls.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Urban living tends to be small - but hopefully you can find a safe comfortable place. Guess it all depends on the job hunt and potential salary.
    I think if you stock some shelf-stable staples and just supplement with fresh produce it should work out. Delivery is more common now too. Not free but more convenient than schlepping groceries on a bus.
    Good luck. I hope you find a good place to land soon!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I know I know: get with the times. Incentives to have everything delivered!
    I drive my own pizza home!!!

• PAV8888
    Options
    Holy **kittens** YOWZERS!!!!!!

I mean I made the mistake of pouring the second dressing pouch on my salad instead of the one for the "other person who shall remain nameless". I skimmed out some from the top but most had already attached itself to my kale mix! So... the damage was 113g of dressing.

I mean it's a lot but... really... it's NOT as if the salad is swimming. NO, my 350g of salad were NOT swimming in dressing. Just comfortably coated and tasty.

I mean I believe it, and there is a reason why dressings were one of the first things out the door, but holy smokes and kittens and everything else. This was MORE than SIX HUNDRED CALORIES. For the effing dressing of the effing salad! Dress me red at me!!!!!!! :rage:
    Options
    I've never been more grateful that I never quite learned to eat salad dressings.
    Not that I eat salad much; it tends to anger up my gut.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Put salad in a colander, rinse well, drain, pat dry and start over? Swap salads with other person?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    The calorie count in dressings and sauces is jaw dropping. I love the PC memories of Thailand - especially with little frozen cocktail samosas - but can almost east as many calories in the sauce as in the samosas - which is pretty poor way to spend calories.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Remember my thing about pre-logging when you're trying to lose weight especially when you're starting?

It's a little bit late to go rinse the salad once you've eaten it--when you're logging after! I mentally blanked and looked at the pouche as being one portion, so I was eating two, maybe a couple of hundred calories!🤷🏻‍♂️

Well 113 g is closer to 4 portions and each of those was closer to 160Cal than 100!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Well no wonder the extra dressed salad was extra tasty 👅. Oops and move on I guess!
    Today I made a white lasagna - frozen chopped kale, onions, chopped ham, low fat Alfredo, low fat mozzarella and noodles of course. Satisfied Italian hubbys pasta cravings. He goes into withdrawal without daily pasta. Usually I decline but indulged a bit today.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Veggie "blue menu" lasagna ... I like mine saucy, so I was quite happy! Others were overwhelmed by sauce and unhappy with quantity of "hearty stuffing". Did three frozen meatballs each too. And a tomato/pickles salad cause no other veggies in the fridge.

Oh. And for lunch had a "soup": powdered mushroom knorr, 130g carrots out of the bag chopped in two or three, 30g of onion and 130g of korean dumplings from a mega bag from the Costco freezer section
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,769 Member
    Options
    Bit late to the party, but it would break my heart to spend that many calories on dressing my salad.

I'm a creature of habit, so depending on what else I'm having in the salad, I add a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and one of the following dressings:
    • A squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar;
    • A squeeze of fresh lime juice and a drizzle of sriracha
    • A squeeze of fresh lemon juice and finely shaved parmesan
    • A squeeze of fresh lemon juice, red or white wine vinegar
    • A squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of homemade chermoula and a sprinkle of sumac

None of these add more than 20 calories to the salad, but they add a ton of flavour.

I also like to make my salads very colourful and flavoursome anyway. And I always ensure they have texture and crunch. There's no need for salad ever to be boring, when you can add a chopped walnut or two, a teaspoon of chopped dried apricot or sultanas, some torn basil leaves, some peppery rocket, a couple of artichoke hearts, a few crisp green beans, a sprinkle of homemade rosemary croutons, some sharp capers, a tablespoon of creamy canellini beans...

One of my all-time favourite places to eat is a place called Bar Miscellanea in Rome. It's a place that's hugely popular with students and office workers because it's cheap and cheerful, and they do the most amazing salads. Whenever I'm lost for ideas, I consult their menu to refresh my memory of how versatile a salad can be:

m84ybw9yv9hx.png
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiring list. I try do creative salads a lot over the hot summers.
    As for dressing, hubby’s Sicilian grandmother served only undressed salads with cruets of olive oil and vinegar on the table. Put salad into your own bowl and dress to taste - salt and pepper too. Simple and always good.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,769 Member
    Options
    Agreed - never serve another person’s salad dressed ... always nekkid as nature intended. That way they can add their own seasonings...
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well my carrot beetroot and parsnip fries were already dressed for success before being frozen in a bag!😹 And they're definitely bunnies! 👍

Plus some Blue menu haddock in the same oven pan!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Where do you get the fries? I assume they are frozen. We have the usual sweet potato and white potato fries. Don’t think I’ve seen these.