Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    An italian-inspired salad for dinner:

The green base was big handfuls of baby leaf spinach and rocket; then crisp cherry tomatoes, grated carrot, cucumber, fennel and yellow pepper; 10g each of chopped pistachios, walnuts, sultanas and dried apricots. Protein was 20g charred halloumi, 10g vintage cheddar; 10g shaved parmesan; 40g mixed salumi (ventricina, milano salami; parma ham); a 5g drizzle of oil and a drizzle of 25 y/old balsamic vinegar (total black gold; eyewateringly expensive, but a little goes a long way). A quick grind of sea salt and black pepper. Then, because I'm doing a 2 hour turbo ride later, a 60g slice of crusty sourdough to soak up the oil/balsamic goodness.

Nectar from the gods...
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Having supper for lunch today - just in time to catch a growing, haven't eaten yet today, hunger before it turned vicious.

Veggie sausage, lightly sauteed zucchini and red pepper (from a friend's garden), boiled potatoes and some veggie ground beef. Heavy on the protein because I had two remnants in the fridge.

Supper supper will be the salad I was supposed to eat a few hours ago.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I’ve found that having the larger meal at lunch works best for me. Light breakfast and lightish suppers. Doesn’t work when going out or vacationing because it’s contrary to western norms and dining with others.

Hubby and I have breakfast and lunch together. We’re on our own for supper. He’ll make himself a full meal (often leftovers) while I’m free to eat yogurt and fruit or cereal if I want.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    You're a smart cat!

So one of my favourite stores seems to have had a straight across the board 10% grocery item increase. What was 4.99 is 5.49 and it goes on with every item I checked!

And we keep on trucking!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Wowsers! That is one very fine meal.

On the price increases - yup everything is now either unavailable, overpriced or shrunken quantities. There’s less of whatever in the package so recipes need adjustment. In my experience prices never go down again even after the economy improves. People get used to the increases and companies reap profits. Wish my fixed income increased to help out.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hey, is it legal to add chicken to a vegetarian dish??? It looks great, I won't deny!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Everything is legal until those veggie police track you down. Lock your doors, shutter your windows.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    We had carnitas. Which for me was about four ounces of meat on two medium tortillas with a spoonful of pico de gallo on each. Soooo full. Oof. So tasty.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2022
    Options
    "blue menu" veggie lasagna. with tomato, fresh onion, oregano, and raspberry vinegar salad. breakfast was bacon and egg mcmuffin no butter add 3x slivered onions and large ice coffee light ice, no liquid sugar, no milk, and 3 coke zeros and a couple of protein bars that are terrible not 100% to my liking Chef Irvine, but I found them in the freezer so they had to go! :wink:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Chicken tenders “ fried” in 2 tsp. Olive oil, fresh asparagus, and light a’ gratin potatoes, fiber one cookie and coffee….
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Today I made some tricolore penne with a tomato-vegetable sauce. Yummy!

v2pCtpC.jpg

5PhFowc.jpg
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    The tomato vegetable sauce ? Homemade or store bought?
  • Dante_80
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I made it (it's very easy to do), but some of the stuff in it was canned (like the corn or the tomato). The recipe is a slight variation of this one:

qroKpgT.png

• Yoolypr
    Options
    Any translation for the unenlightened non Greeks?
  • Dante_80
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Ok, here goes:

1. Kerrygold cheese for serving
    2. 1 packet of penne tricolore (I used 250gr for 3 servings)
    3. 3 tbs of olive oil (one tablespoon per serving)
    4. 1 big onion cut in small pieces
    5. 1 clove of garlic smashed (or cut very fine)
    6. 1 carrot cut in small cubes
    7. 1 bell pepper cut in small cubes
    8. 2 small zucchini cut in small cubes
    9. 1 small can of corn.
    10. 1 tomato can (κονκασε cut)
    11. 1 tbs of zemytha
    a couple bayleaves, parsley, salt, pepper and sugar.

1. boil the pasta according to packet instructions mine needed 11', I did 9 before mixing it).
    2. put the oil in a pan and saute the onion and the garlic.
    3. add the tomato, carrot, bell pepper, zucchini, bayleaves, some parsley, salt pepper and a little sugar. Add some water, lower heat and let it simmer until it thickens.
    4. Remove the bayleaves, {use a 4. to squash the mixture a little - optional, I do it for consistency}, add the canned corn
    6. Put pasta and zemytha in, stir.

Serve with cheese on top. Add a little parsley on top if you like too!.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thank you so much for translating. Hubby will enjoy this immensely. He’s Italian and loves his pasta meals. I’ve got everything in the pantry except for the mystery ingredient- zemytha? I’m hoping it’s something not too exotic but willing to look for it at the middle eastern market. Google was no help.
    🙏 thanks again.
  • Dante_80
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Thank you so much for translating. Hubby will enjoy this immensely. He’s Italian and loves his pasta meals. I’ve got everything in the pantry except for the mystery ingredient- zemytha? I’m hoping it’s something not too exotic but willing to look for it at the middle eastern market. Google was no help.
    🙏 thanks again.

It's a type of hard grating cheese, a variant of Mizithra. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizithra
    The brand I used is this one, essentially 27% protein by weight and only 1% fat.

If you cannot find it, use some Pecorino Romano or hard Ricotta Salata as substitutes. You only need a little, it helps with thickening the sauce. :)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    A chicken tender with a piece of toast and some barbecue sauce to dip it in for lunch. Boyfriend ate his chicken and cheese sandwich and went back to bed. He had a rough night, though.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thanks Dante! Always have pecorino on hand. Actually hubby is Sicilian variation Italian. We did those dna tests and he’s really more Greek than Italian because Sicily was once Greek.