pictures

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    I opened up the wall in the new bathroom. Not too many surprises; there is a notch where the original tub's supply used to be routed... When they renovated and installed a tub-surround, they moved the line.

rviecnpwrcit.png

Now I just need to figure out how to fit the new drain and supply lines into the empty space... and, of course, a wood brace to bolt the sink onto...

z02lgnpcdhdz.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Staining spindles and handrails is about as much fun as it sounds...
    ugjsh2cyrp30.png
    I noticed this crack... so I grabbed my jug of Gorilla Glue (indoor/outdoor), a clamp and a stick to spread glue in a narrow space...
    rau9ivbaq4ny.png
    And problem solved!!
    e1mq89mjjpst.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My aunt snapped a pic shortly after we started putting the frame onto the posts. When we finished up, we'd added a couple more posts at the far end, completed the framing and had about half of the floor joists placed, ready for the deck boards.

I don't think putting pier blocks directly on grass is a good idea but they say they're happy with it. If it was my pool and my deck, I'd have augured holes below the frost line and put in sauna tubes filled with concrete... but they're happy so whatever!!

zksa8ep6p1ie.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That should be solid enough so if someone does pull on the sink, it will go nowhere.

aqxqczecek2h.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The balusters take forever compared to the handrails.

qnmc0dpw48ja.png

I snapped this pic when a buddy texted to ask what I was up to... I kept going and got more done...

eoxdvabsnivy.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Front door step... first cost of stain...

yl4nw6ijjiyk.png
    tf33nbityrtp.png

Second doorstep is still raw wood... I'll do it next...

lj8dht5mxo46.png
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everything looks great!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Today's fun was starting a set of handrails to protect the stairwell to the basement... but sturdy enough to bear a small roof to hopefully keep the rain & snow out...

7r8kmy4r7zrz.png

9orjod15pi99.png

• UncleMac
    Options
    My sturdy handrail now has a cross brace... and I've started the frame for the cover.

k6ujodr5k5wp.png

I decided to extend the cover to provide a roof over the heatpump to keep the snow off the top.

e54l97m3y2gn.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Today's focus was building the box over the heat pump's condenser. Since we live in a snow zone, it's common to build a cover to keep snow from accumulating on top of the condenser.

5auejaf0q970.png

zkmwesleryay.png

uirfbt94wnvh.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    All rafters in... All cross braces on... Next step is installing the guides, then the corrugated plastic covers. The flash made the plastic glow blue but it's actually clear...

iew3yjam4x89.png

I'm trying to decide whether to put a post under the outer edge of the cover OR a crossbrace to the wall. At this point, none of the cover is touching the wall... a post might be better... I stuck a piece of 2X4 into the ground as a precautionary measure.
    d763c1ibqw5f.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The plastic roofing is in...
    ykemtyblbkmv.png

Next steps is the balusters for under the handrail... one done, five to go...
    ewano3t63dku.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    It's really coming together nicely...

vz9ezx4u2r6d.png
    j5oiehkbq49b.png
    i9r0sq13y7fn.png
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looks fabulous as always................is the snow going to fall on those first 4 steps though? Just curious.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    fitlin50 wrote: »
    Looks fabulous as always................is the snow going to fall on those first 4 steps though? Just curious.
    @fitlin50, some snow might drift into the first few steps... plus some will slide off the cover and fall down... but it should be less so than just having the open hole filling up.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Computer problems... gah!! Keyboard is acting screwy... I stained the external portions... first coat soaked in like a sponge.. So I need more stain again... and a new keyboard apparently...

eh62dj8v1pxz.png

6vpjcbgig6oc.png

5tuteyztxyvv.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Plastic panels in place... With any amount of luck, this will divert the wind and snow out of the stairwell...

gzjeg29hxpm0.png

i0bog3sdxno5.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My fancy new Rheem hybrid hot water heater. The bottom part is where the standard tank with elements; the upper part is a heat pump with a condenser to take heat from the air and push it into the water.

Given the heat pump is on top, the cold water inlet and the hot water outlet aren't on the top like most hot water tanks. Instead, the inlet and outlef are on the side... the cold inlet is low, close to the bottom and the hot outlet is close to the top of the tank portion... so kinda half way up the side...

The condensation outlet is also out the side, just above the tank... relatively close to the pressure relief valve which is also out the side... So it's a bit more complicated than a standard tank but easily sorted.

zmg25kd1h292.png

The condensation outlet is plastic, unlike the galvanized pipe for the others.

a6zw8ctgjyok.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I was going to stain the upper deck... got it about half-done and then ran out of stain...

zpcaep37fgkf.png

And before I could drive into town to get more stain, my wife asked me to go for a walk on the beach...

h3ep8cpfb8mk.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I've cleared everything off and away from the basement foundation walls as tomorrow is spray foam insulation day. The present, about half of the rim joist is uninsulated, the foundation walls are uninsulated and there is no vapour barrier... so the house should be much easier to keep warm in the winter and to keep cool in the summer...

The only downside (aside from cost) is a short-term one... As the foam cures, it stinks... so we're going to be out of the house for a day and a night...

7hp0i8bcdyrs.png
    ye9giddxi2ep.png