What did you eat today? Pictures welcome!

Options

Replies

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,443 Member
    Options
    New month so setting out some plans to work on
    1) no processed foods
    2) no salt
    3) no sugar
    4) avoid bread - if need to eat it have to have Ezekiel as it has no flour
    5) 2 L of water per day
    6) walk on treadmill each day - challenge for me due to age and mobility issues

Completed 7 days of the above goals. So now going to work on the next 7 days. Saw that making these changes has helped with the weight and I know that the walking will really help the metabolism revive making the stored fat release its hold on me.

Ladies please watch the salt content of what you are eating - the salt is doing a number on your kidneys and you might not have problems now but that could change very quickly - it did for me - so please head the advise of getting rid of salt in your food and avoid all processed foods - your kidneys have a hard time dealing with this

atplypcge0wg.jpg
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Such a good reminder @Marilynsretired - I am guilty of adding salt when I'm cooking, but not at the table. I've more of a salty-tooth than a sweet-tooth. Do you use other methods of seasoning your cooking? I always feel a little soy or salt lifts the flavour and if you don't eat much processed foods, hopefully the sodium levels aren't too high? I will certainly read up though, good advice.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Options
    @henridw2095 for my soup, I completely winged it with what I had on hand! Here's what I did:

Saute red onion, then throw in:

Diced potatoes
    Diced carrots
    A handful of lettuce
    Rough chopped savoy cabbage
    Rinse red lentils and add to the pot with enough boiling water to cover (I added a stock cube at this point too)

Simmer for 15 mins
    Add a tin of drained butterbeans, simmer.

Blitz with a stick blender
    Stir through some plant cream (or milk of your choice would work too) I didn't need to add any extra seasoning to this, it worked out just fine.

I also air-fried some sourdough for croutons. 8 portions of soup made. Yummy!
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,443 Member
    Options
    @Curlykinkycurls = sodium is a killer for sure. We have been told by a nutritionst that Mrs. Dash would work. But I just don't salt anything anymore - and I read all labels and if the % if 5 or more I don't purchase it as that is to much salt. So for flavor I have gone back to how we cooked 50 -75 years ago when everything is from scratch - I use different spices, combining some to see what flavors I can get - and am still on a learning curve. But when it means having diaylsis or dying because of salt - well I just don't do salt = does make cooking or eating out a challenge though = for instance Chinese food is pretty much out due to all the sauces and salt that they use - one way you can tell is if you crave a food it either is loaded with salt or sugar or flour

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 871 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    9v7cpu603eez.jpeg

I‘ve been on an Indian cooking spree this weekend…and definitely enjoyed the variety. I dated an Indian for 5 years, when I was in grad school, so a long time ago, but my love for authentic Indian food has remained strong. Normally I only have one dish at a time. Yesterday I made Indian cabbage with peas, vegan butter chickpeas and soy curls, spicy chili green beans with coconut and onion seeds. The cabbage is a recipe I‘ve been making for two decades, the other recipes are new and will definitely make them again. I LOVED the beans (huge fan of onion seeds).

Admittedly I love salt and don’t restrict. I have quite low blood pressure and once a Dr even recommended to eat soup in the morning to raise it. But with age, it’s already higher than it used to be and thanks to @Marilynsretired I now often don’t add extra salt on avocado/ hummus toast or other meals. I just read somewhere that too much protein also stresses the kidneys. As a vegan, it’s hard to reach that level (at least with normal kidney function). How much protein to eat is apparently controversial and not known. I typically get 15% of my calories from protein, more if I make an effort.
  • henridw2095
    edited November 2023
    Options
    vu6k5cxu5t35.jpeg

Today I added a Khichdi for meal prep. The base is split mung beans, red lentils, and basmati rice. It also has onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and a few spices. Zucchini are not in the recipe, but I like to add them. I‘ve been making this dish for more than 20 years.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Curvykinkycurls thanks for the list of ingredients! Soup is quite forgiving 😂 . I love lentil soup, but have never decided on a recipe and always make it up when I make it.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Options
    Nice shiny new scale @henridw2095 😉 your Indian cuisine sounds delish! I'm a huge fan of currys and probably even more so since I've cut out animal products. The green bean side looks so good, definitely one to try!
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @curvykinkycurls, I will post the recipe when I get a chance, it's very simple. Asian cooking lends itself well to vegetarian/vegan cooking. Especially Indians obviously have a very strong vegetarian culture. Love my new scale. :)
  • Red_B1rd
    Red_B1rd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    New soup for the week. I call it Autumn Soup after Panera's (chain store bakery and cafe in the U.S, not sure if it's overseas). We don't live near one anymore and the soup was a favorite so had to make my own. Made with veg stock, this has some cream as a finishing touch, but could be left out for a vegan option. Pepitos/pumpkin seeds are on top.

sy3xlk1utjbz.jpg
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Options
    @Red_B1rd ooh yum! I do love soup 😋

I am trying to increase my protein intake this week, last week could have been better. Started off with a chickpea flour omelette and veg, 15g/29% protein. One thing this app is good for is checking where I stand with nutrients, you think you've had a good day & then the stats say you need more potassium in your life 😄

Have a good week all!

0ru9630r8szc.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Red_B1rd and @Curvykinkycurls these dishes look delicious! I’ll have to make a soup soon. I substitute cream with cashew cream (just cashews blended with water) or silken/soft tofu.

Here’s my work lunch, in the middle if the week, I often have to scramble since my precooked food runs out. I finished the recent Indian cabbage off by combining it with sweet potatoes/squash I baked during breakfast and some seitan that was quickly sautéed with garam masala. Turned out to be one of the most delicious dishes this week.

yibhovygdrxb.jpeg
  • Curvykinkycurls
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I've not made cashew cream yet @henridw2095 - I made cashew nut butter though which was delicious. I really need to buy another bulk bag of cashews, the small packs in supermarkets are so expensive right now.

Dinner tonight, which I didn't finish, I just wasn't that hungry and overloaded my plate as I'd pre-logged/calculated the meal. I had the falafel and beansprout stir fry last night too, but tonight added orzo instead of rice. Been a while since having beansprouts in the fridge, but my son had to make spring rolls for his cooking class, so they needed using up!

kgc2wkhk41m9.jpg
  • MKWXIII
    MKWXIII Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Very quick dinner, bowtie alfredo, with lots of black pepper and chili flakes.
    Ran outta veggies... broccoli would've been so good in it. Oh well.

Won't let me add a picture. 😕
  • henridw2095
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I tried making a vegan version of saag paneer today (saag tofu). It was a bit fussy to make in my small kitchen (blanching a pile of kale, collards, and spinach) and didn’t turn out that well. Even the vitamix struggled with the greens 😂. I made it because one serving has about 25% of the daily calcium requirement. Will look for other dishes with kale. I don’t generally enjoy spinach that much, which is also a lot higher in oxalates than kale (not helpful for calcium absorption).

A long time ago, I used to make vegetarian palak paneer, with frozen creamed spinach and actual paneer and remember it being delicious. Tofu really can’t substitute for paneer.
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    hxijqubf7mv0.jpeg
    1gaf6ginv0tv.jpeg

Really good dinner 😊
  • Curvykinkycurls
    edited November 2023
    Options
    That sounds delicious @Maya440 - I've screenshot your recipe & added to my recipe album! Thank you for sharing!

@MKWXIII for adding pics on my phone, I have to make sure I choose from 'gallery' rather than the thumbnails under 'recent pics'. Hope this works for you too.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Maya440 I may also need to try this!
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Options
    @Maya440 It's DELICIOUS! 😋👌 Thank you for posting! Definitely one for keeps.

ikui2582exxu.jpg
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Oh great you liked it !