What did you eat today? Pictures welcome!

Options

Replies

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 976 Member
    edited January 13
    Options
    srxith1zrtnp.jpeg
    Red lentil wraps, suggested by @Zinka61 and a dish I’ll be repeating. Soaked 50 g of washed red lentils in 1/2 cup water overnight. Added 1/8 tsp of salt, blended (I have a mini blender cup) and cooked in a slightly greased pan. Important to not turn before it’s detached (if using nonstick). This was easy, tasty, and nutritious. 37g of protein when eaten with 4 oz of tempeh, the wraps provided 13 g of that.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I'm not a tempeh lover either, but haven't tried crumbling/mixing with other ingredients so this could help! Worth another try, thanks for sharing!
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,043 Member
    Options
    Vegan: Citrus and Endive with Walnut Gremolata by Alison Roman. A sunny pick-me-up for a dreary winter day! I don't have a photo of the finished dish for you guys, but it looks pretty much like in the recipe photo. Here's my prep:
    gfbeybczk2uf.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Vegetarian: Raspberries & blueberries from the freezer, topped with plain yogurt (I like Trader Joe's European Style Whole Milk Yogurt) and pistachios.
    jwfpeoja8kr0.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @takinitalloff these look delicious and provide much needed vitamins in winter 🤤

I also had raspberries and (cashew) yoghurt for breakfast (with soy milk and weetabix), but it wasn’t quite as pretty. Cashew Yoghurt is not as nice as TJ’s European style yoghurt (which I loved before I realized I’m lactose intolerant), but it does the job.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Vegan: Ratatouille... I used canned tomatoes obviously, because those winter tomatoes at the grocery store would not do the trick. This tasted like summer in a bowl, and I had it for breakfast several days in a row. (I added a soft-boiled egg which obviously made it vegetarian instead of vegan.)
    om09u3qhity0.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    @henridw2095 The berry-yogurt snack is really only pretty because I serve it in my super fancy glass :D That has made a huge difference for me though, I'm so glad I sprung for the glass because it really elevates the eating experience 👑

My niece is lactose intolerant and I recently learned that one can now buy lactase to address that. I realize you're 99% vegan and I'm guessing that's not primarily because of the lactose intolerance, so this may not be of interest to you. But I was surprised that I had never even come across this info, so I thought I'd share just in case.

I'm excited to make those lentil wraps you posted, by the way.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Vegan: Buckeye Bean Soup with veggies: sweet onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and of course Buckeye beans. (No recipe, I winged it.)

If you have never eaten beans that made you want more, I HIGHLY recommend taking a look around Rancho Gordo’s website and treating yourself to a bag of beans or several. Life-changing! I was never a big fan of beans until I had theirs, and now I literally eat them every day. 🧅🥕🧄🫘
    it1opo9xlu60.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    edited January 16
    Options
    Vegan: Red Curry Delicata Squash and Tofu by Michael Natkin. Quite spicy 🌶️ and even though I did use red curry paste, the dish turned out yellow. Pretty good, but I would dial the heat way down next time. I also prefer to soft tofu rather than fried (personal preference), oh and as always I left out the sugar. Plenty of sweetness in the squash and curry paste. I love the dramatic stripes on the delicata squash!
    sja1d2c2vioq.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    All vegan: Fruit & veggie snacks!
    Apple & celery with peanut butter...
    x2xwt768zujp.jpg
    ... raspberries & blueberries with oats, chia seeds, and almonds...
    2z7esaeyfan3.jpg
    ... banana & almonds.
    ri0colxzhjpp.jpg
    I like to make things look nice, feels like more of a "meal" when I eat things off a dish rather than just biting into a banana or whatever.

Sorry to post everything at once... clearing out some backlog. Obviously I did not actually eat all of this today :D
  • henridw2095
    edited January 16
    Options
    I really like looking at food - unfortunately I don't have the patience to make things look pretty much of the time....

@takinitalloff I have seen people take lactase to eat ice cream. You're right, I have been trending vegan for a long time and when I realized yoghurt was causing trouble, it seemed easiest to just stop. I was making yoghurt at home at the time (delicious), but I have not gotten around to trying to make vegan yoghurt, although I have a starter lying around (probably expired now).

I might try the delicata squash curry. I love delicata squash, they're pretty and I don't peel them, so they stay pretty!
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    I really like looking at food - unfortunately I don't have the patience to make things look pretty much of the time...

I might try the delicata squash curry. I love delicata squash, they're pretty and I don't peel them, so they stay pretty!
    To be fair, I eat plenty of "ugly" food :D The most important thing is how it tastes, but I've been trying to make a little effort to also make things look presentable when possible. Getting that pretty glass to eat my dessert from certainly made things easier, lol

I had never used a delicata squash until this dish, but man is that a gorgeous vegetable! I didn't peel mine either. (Does anyone?)
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @takinitalloff the guy who wrote the recipe apparently does 😂
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    @henridw2095 :D OK this is hilarious, I read right past that hahaha
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,480 Member
    Options
    I had the last of my split pea barley soup, and since I have another batch of bean sprouts started (and some broccoli sprouts) I put the penultimate serving of those on top. Yum. Then I had a roasted rutabaga. This time I tossed it with hazelnut oil, salt, black pepper, Hatch green chile powder, and cinnamon. Quite delicious. I couldn't decide to eat the rutabaga or a sweet potato.

I was looking through this discussion, and I saw "savory oats." I have been thinking about making something similar. I'm not surprised it's already a thing. I may make some with a simple mix of onions, garlic, hot chile, and broccoli - maybe beets. That will be another day. I can't decide to soak black beans or chickpeas next. I finished a chickpea salad yesterday, and as soon as I get more vegetables I'll be ready to make that again. I've been learning to use a pressure cooker for legumes and things like beets. I made a tasty winter squash soup that used it today, but I won't mention it here because it was not a vegetarian dish.

h3yrilt4w92f.jpg

awbwu528vz7a.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I have always had struggles when I made rice and lentils in the past.

If I make them separate and mix them together, that works, but then I have two pots to wash. I love to cook. I do NOT love to wash dishes. If I try to make them together, I don't get the right amount of water and/or to get the right amount of cooking time. I use brown rice, so it cooks long enough that the lentils can't cook the whole tine or they'll get mushy and turn the whole thing into glop. Don't get me wrong, I like glop. I also like having lentils fully cooked that hold their shape. If I wait too late to put them in, they are not done. If I don't add enough water, it burns.

Tonight I decided to give it a go again because I still have lentils from last year to use up before I buy more for this winter.

I was hunger, and I had plenty of calories left for the day. I made a batch that had two servings of rice and two of lentils. I put a half cup of brown basmiti rice in a pot with too much boiling water flavored with a little bit of Better than Bullion and cooked for 30 minutes. I added a half cup of rinsed lentils and a chopped jalapeno and a tiny bit more water (it looked like it needed it), and cooked it another 15 minutes. I turned off the heat, gave it a stir, put the lid back on, and let it sit and keep cooking another five minutes.

I had a hard cooked egg in the fridge that I made the other day. This makes the dish not vegetarian, but you can omit the egg if you make it.

It came out pretty much perfect.

I sprinkled some Maldon salt on, and dug in. It was as tasty as it looked.

135aoat3i4cs.jpg
  • henridw2095
    edited January 19
    Options
    @mtaratoot these look amazing. I love lentils and have recently been making a very simple lentil and potato stew from Martha Rose Shulman. She makes it with cabbage (but not inside the stew)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    What you see here is about 2.5 quarts of chickpea salad I'll be digging into over the next few days. It's vegan except that yeast was implicated in turning grapes into wine, and bacteria was implicated in turning that wine into vinegar. Yeast is not actually an animal, but it's not a vegetable (plant) either. It's in the fungus Kingdom. Bacteria surely isn't a plant - it's not even a Eukaryote. So I guess that's OK.

Two cups of dried chickpeas, soaked all day, then cooked in the pressure cooker for 12 minutes and set aside for the pressure to naturally release.

While it cooled, I cut up some celery, carrot, English cucumber, orange sweet bell chile, jalapeno chile, red onion, shallot, and parsley. I mixed all that together with some cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. I will probably have a little bit tonight, but it will be much better tomorrow. One hundred grams apparently will set me back 127 calories but only provide six grams of protein. It does give me four grams of fiber and a little calcium.

I have been making a salad like this during winter the last couple of years. I don't make it when it's warm out because the cooking heats up the house, although the pressure cooker may change that. I might even be able to do the pressure cooker on a propane camp stove in summer, because this would be a really nice thing to eat when it's hot out and the garden is giving me lots of crunchy produce.

rmn9hlq1f5y7.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Those lentils and rice yesterday were pretty good.

Tonight I started with a big salad. Mix of greens very lightly dressed (about a half "serving" of Annie's Shiitake Vinaigrette and four grams of hazelnut oil). I like to mix in the dressing with the greens before adding anything else. It gets the dressing to stick, and every bite has just a bit. I use the scale to add the dressing, then turn on the water and mix by hand and then have water running to wash up. It only takes five or ten seconds, so I don't consider it wasting water. For context, the last 22 years or so of my career I ran a water conservation program. I added broccoli, jicama, carrot, English cucumber, golden beets, and orange sweet bell chile. I ate that while the other dish was cooking.

Yeah, those lentils were good. I modified my theme tonight. I toasted some pearled barley in a little olive oil with about five cloves of barely-chopped garlic and some dried Aleppo chile flakes, then added some broth and bay leaves from the yard and cooked for ten minutes. I added French green lentils and cooked another 15 minutes. There was still liquid. I turned off the heat and waited ten minutes and... Oh yum.

No pictures tonight. Another vegetarian/vegan repast.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    Breakfast was weetabix, soy milk, and thawed blackberries. I have a nostalgic attachment to weetabix from my teenage years when I went to England for the first time.

I took myself out for vegan ramen for lunch, at a place near my work. Ramen is my soul food, when I‘m tired and stressed, I crave spice and salt and this was perfect.

Tonight I had a large sheet pan of tofu, sweet potatoes, fennel, and mushrooms. Nutritious, simple (bakes while I‘m in the shower after gym), and hits the spot.

f4aqzjgmmupm.jpeg