What did you eat today? Pictures welcome!

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    @henridw2095

Onion seeds? I didn't know that was a thing. Now I'll have to look that up.

I don't much like sweet either, but that Delicata last night was really good with the added powdered ginger and cinnamon to balance the Aleppo and garlic. I'm about due to make more bean soup in the next day or two.
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited February 2
    Options
    @mtaratoot I really like onion seeds (also known as black cumin, nigella, or kalonji), they’re especially nice in Indian dishes, but also on flat bread.

I‘m making a lentil stew tonight so I have something to take to work tomorrow. Very simple recipe from the NYT cooking app (I think I posted it before). Just olive oil, onion, garlic, lentils, potatoes; spices are salt, a dried red chili, and a bay leaf.

editing to add the picture

ygzp17jy9u59.jpeg
  • henridw2095
    edited February 3
    Options
    uux51zy9vx0i.jpeg

I finally made a chickpea flour frittata for breakfast, using veggies I had on hand (oyster mushrooms, zucchini, onion, and tomato), parsley, dill, baby kale. Spices were salt, black salt, dried thyme, tumeric, and chili powder (chili pepper, not the seasoning mix). The batter also had some vegan cashew yoghurt and oil. I turned out nicely and I look forward to eating the leftovers tomorrow. I can imagine many variations for veggies and spices.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,118 Member
    edited February 7
    Options
    Vegan/vegetarian: the brand of zha cai (pickled mustard tuber) that I bought has lactic acid and yeast in it, I know some vegans would avoid those but maybe there are other brands that don't have these ingredients... I had a hard enough time hunting this one down :D The rest of the dish is vegan and you can always omit the zha cai if you prefer.

Sichuan dry-fried green beans and tofu from Michael Natkin's book Herbivoracious. I omitted the sugar and salt (there's enough salt in the soy sauce & Szechuan preserved vegetable), and used 5 Tbsp avocado oil instead of 6 Tbsp vegetable oil. A quick, easy, and very tasty meal.
    s3qwrdtq53nd.jpg
    P.S. I vaguely remembered hearing about zha cai somewhere on MFP and I thought that @henridw2095 was involved in the conversation... but I picked this recipe out of my cookbook totally unrelated to the recent conversation here about Chinese dry-fried beans, which is hilarious to me now that I am reminded of it. Must eat more brain-supporting foods :D
  • takinitalloff
    edited February 7
    Options
    Vegan: sweet potato hummus, inspired by a comment someone made in the Ultimate Accountability Challenge, my "happy home" here on MFP... shout-out to my fellow UAC'ers who hang out in this thread ;) And to anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about, come visit us and join if you like!

I used this recipe but left out the cayenne pepper, so my hummus was NOT spicy. No judgment, but I personally am not a fan of making all things spicy.

Here's my first portion -- sadly flattened by the lid of the container it was in... food prep is about convenience first, and beauty maybe 12th or so :D Also, for some reason this hummus doesn't photograph well -- it's much more vividly orange in real life. I ate it with red bell pepper and sugar snap peas. I would not do the sugar snap peas again, but the bell pepper was a good addition. Going to try carrots & bell peppers next. I'm tickled pink that someone thought of combining hummus with sweet potatoes, two of my favorite things!
    j0id27tm9b4z.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    My apologies for batch posting again: I don't always have time to post my pics when I want, so I do it when I have some downtime.

Vegan: Here's the kind of thing I snack on while watching a movie at the end of the day: chilled Honeycrisp apple and peanut butter. (I keep my apples and peanut butter in the fridge.) All weighed/measured, and tracked in my food log, before eating. The best of both worlds: I can eat healthy, lose weight, and still eat "mindlessly" if I want ;)
    amyct8awfrjo.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Vegetarian: On a typical day I have a couple "real meals" and the rest is what I would call "modular snacks" or gap fillers: smaller meals made up of easily portioned components that are specifically chosen to hit my macro/nutrition goals. For example: deviled eggs, almonds, and pistachios.
    vosxi3rd2tgg.jpg
  • henridw2095
    edited February 9
    Options
    @takinitalloff these all look great. I like Zha cai, the one I used came for free when I ordered my Szechuan Chili oil. I did not check if it’s vegan (just assuming it is). I don’t think yeast would be offensive to many vegans, nutritional yeast is a vegan staple (I had some on an avocado toast for lunch). They’re fungi, vegans will happily eat fungi.

I once tried beet hummus and wasn’t a fan, I haven’t had the courage to try sweet potato hummus 😆. My go to hummus is chipotle hummus, it has one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce in it. I love chili 🌶️, I have probably mentioned that many times already.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I took out my enameled cast iron Dutch Oven to make soup, but soon realized the amount I'm making would have been too big. I got out the bigger pan that I don't like as much, and I'm going to have so much soup.... I've never made a soup quite like this before. I hope it's good. I used my standard method of doing a saute on the vegetables before adding water. I added the potatoes near the end because I didn't want them to cook as long. Other ingredients include:
    • Onion
    • Parsnip
    • Gold beet
    • Mushrooms (lots and lots of mushrooms)
    • Broccoli
    • Sunchoke
    • Carrot
    • Jalapeno
    • Red potato
    • Streaker barley
    • Lots and lots and lots of garlic
    • Two kinds of miso
    • Herbs including Mediterranean oregano and rubbed sage
    • Obligatory bay leaves from the front yard - this time eleven because it's a lot of soup. I'm going to have to dole some out to weigh it separately because the main pot is too big for my scale!

I revised an old recipe. I set some ingredients I didn't use to 1 gram of each as place holders, and I added ingredients that were new. I had to put some into a separate pot to get a total weight of the batch - 4017 grams. The pot has a tare weight of 1944 grams, so that would have been 5961 grams (over 13 pounds). The scale tops out at 11 pounds (5000 grams). That's some heavy soup.... I set the number of servings in the recipe equal to the number of grams so that when I eat it, it's easy to measure how much I'm eating with my scale.

Of course I will eat some. I will probably freeze some. I still have one serving of Mayocoba bean soup left.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    I don’t think yeast would be offensive to many vegans, nutritional yeast is a vegan staple (I had some on an avocado toast for lunch). They’re fungi, vegans will happily eat fungi.

I once tried beet hummus and wasn’t a fan, I haven’t had the courage to try sweet potato hummus 😆. My go to hummus is chipotle hummus, it has one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce in it. I love chili 🌶️, I have probably mentioned that many times already.

Yes yeast is a fungus, but I have met a couple vegans who avoid it because it’s alive… I don’t make the rules 😉 In any case, the lactic acid may or may not come from an animal so I figured I better mention those ingredients.

If you like sweet potato I would imagine you would like this hummus. It’s really kinda like mashed sweet potatoes 😊 Very tasty, I’m a big fan. I have to be careful with spicy things but I do love chipotle in adobo, thanks for that hummus idea! Will report back 😋
  • henridw2095
    Options
    not all vegans are smart 😉…do they only eat plants that have naturally died or maybe they were fruitarians? Eating organic (or just plants) is not really necessarily strictly vegan either, because of the unspeakable animal ingredients in the fertilizer etc. - it’s hard to be perfect.

I will try sweet potato hummus soon (at least once!)

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I don’t think yeast would be offensive to many vegans, nutritional yeast is a vegan staple (I had some on an avocado toast for lunch). They’re fungi, vegans will happily eat fungi.

Yes yeast is a fungus, but I have met a couple vegans who avoid it because it’s alive… I don’t make the rules 😉 In any case, the lactic acid may or may not come from an animal so I figured I better mention those ingredients.

If you like sweet potato I would imagine you would like this hummus. It’s really kinda like mashed sweet potatoes 😊 Very tasty, I’m a big fan. I have to be careful with spicy things but I do love chipotle in adobo, thanks for that hummus idea! Will report back 😋

So I don't think the issue with yeast is that it's "alive." When I eat raw plants, their cells are still functioning, so they are "alive." Yeast is in a dormant state (usually) when we eat it. The issue, perhaps, is that fungi are more closely related to animals than plants. Same thing for mushrooms. We used to only recognize two "kingdoms" of life - plant and animal. We now recognize many more. Fungi is one, and it's more animal than plant.

Honey is also an interesting conundrum. It can be seen as using animals (bees) to get food. The raw material (nectar) is from plants (flowers). How much of a stretch is it from honey to say we shouldn't eat pears or apples or cherries (or zucchini or almonds or....) because they are POLLINATED by animals? Many of the staples of a plant-based whole-food diet are only possible because we keep bees and put them to use for our benefit as pollinators.

I eat very very little meat. I for sure eat almonds. I have no problem with honey. I eat mushrooms, and I eat yeast. For sure I eat vegetable soup, and tonight I'm probably eating "more than I should," because it's really tasty. The beets and sunchokes add an unusual component, and I like it.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    not all vegans are smart 😉…do they only eat plants that have naturally died or maybe they were fruitarians? Eating organic (or just plants) is not really necessarily strictly vegan either, because of the unspeakable animal ingredients in the fertilizer etc. - it’s hard to be perfect.
    lol I don't judge... I figure everyone has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with or not. I've met several vegans who don't actually like fruit and veggies, if you can imagine that... let's just say their diet wasn't any healthier than the average person's. But everyone has their path in life, and I try to respect the intention even when I personally wouldn't make the same specific choices as someone else. As you said, it's hard to be perfect. Ultimately just the fact that there are so many humans on Earth is a catastrophe, regardless of what any of us eat.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    So I don't think the issue with yeast is that it's "alive."
    I can only tell you what I was told by the people who avoided yeast, and that is what they told me. I make no claim as to the logic of their argument. I'm also currently not vegetarian, so I certainly am not going to judge others for eating animal products or "in-between" products. I mentioned the yeast and lactic acid because they are both ingredients that I know some people avoid. That's all.
  • henridw2095
    edited February 9
    Options
    Everybody obviously makes their own rules (so do I and I am careful to say that I “eat a mostly vegan diet”, rather than calling myself vegan). Just saying that veganism doesn’t avoid fungi.

It gets hard when you have to start researching how ingredients are produced, it appears lactic acid could be made in a vegan friendly way. The weirdest things are made from animal byproducts. Personally I think it’s not possible to avoid killing living beings (including plants here too, I don’t really like killing plants either and lots of little animals are killed in farming). I mostly find the mass production, overconsumption, and factory farming terrible. But again, where to draw the line is quite personal (many vegans or vegan-learning are judgy people).
  • takinitalloff
    edited February 9
    Options
    @henridw2095 I completely agree. I didn't want to post on a "vegan/vegetarian" thread without specifying which category a dish falls into. But I think, going forward, I will just post my meals and everyone can decide for themselves if they want to try a dish or not, after looking at the ingredients in as much detail as they want.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I hadn't planned to just eat plants today, but so far with the exception of nutritional yeast and mushrooms, it's just been plants.

Avocado for breakfast.

Lunch was the last of my mayocoba bean soup and a bowl of the vegetable barley mushroom miso soup. Oh. Yeah. Koji also isn't a plant, so add that to the yeast and mushrooms. I'm enjoying a huge colorful salad now. I may or may not roast some sweet potato later.

Mostly a day of herbivory.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I did an experiment today. It was inspired by a "Homemade soup" challenge on a group I'm involved in that I think I've mentioned here before. I'm happy to mention it again.

Anyway, I have enjoyed a boxed carrot, cashew, ginger soup from Pacific Select. I've never made anything like it. Turns out, it's kind of easy. I made a big batch today. I was a little reticent to make a BIG batch in case it was a failure, but it's good. I put some in vacuum bags and am freezing them so I can seal them up later and save for another time.

I looked at maybe a half dozen recipes for ideas, and then came up with my own. None of the recipes had any hot chiles. Mine had two jalapenos. The recipe I liked best didn't saute the vegetables before simmering. I always like to saute my soups. Even with all that, it was really good. I soaked some raw cashews for a while while I made everything else. Carrots, onion, garlic, jalapeno, dehydrated unsweetened coconut, and some celery. I added the cashews after everything else was cooked. It took almost a full charge from the immersion blender to get things pureed, but it's really delicious.

tivz05ylw6bk.jpg
  • chelseynikole9618
    chelseynikole9618 Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 24
    Options
    Yay I’m so excited to have found a plant based recipe thread! I cook for a vegan family of 3 and I’m always looking for and excited to share easy and healthy recipes. Tonight I made chickpea salad! At just around 150 calories a serving it’s a yummy and easy meal. I had two servings on an organic tortilla on a pile of protein greens so my whole plate was right under 500 calories and I’m so full and happy. Plus my 7 year old loved it so that’s always a win.
    (I use all organic ingredients, just a preference)

Cajun Chickpea Salad
    1 can chickpeas (29oz), rinsed and mashed
    3 tbsp vegan Mayo
    1 diced fresh jalapeño
    2 diced kosher dill pickles
    2 tbsp diced green onions
    2 tbsp diced white onions
    Cajun seasoning to taste
    Garlic powder to taste
    Black pepper to taste
    Mix it all together and enjoy!

I am a spicy fan and so is my family so my food is always extra spicy so I don’t use measurements on spices lol.

This recipe is a new favorite of ours!26sjau7le1r9.jpeg

• henridw2095
    edited March 1
    Options
    I made some savory muffins this morning (batter fermented over night), using a recipe for Gujarati handvo. The batter has split pigeon peas, moong dal, red lentils, vegan yoghurt, sesame, and rice, alongside zucchini, onion, chili, garlic, and spices. They turned out really well.

ag8aetuz0q4r.jpeg