What did you eat today? Pictures welcome!

Options

Replies

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot I will reread your posts when I‘m less sleepy…sounds very tasty and nutritious.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,507 Member
    Options
    7b14lax3k2bl.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,584 Member
    Options
    "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

-Susan B. Anthony
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Marilynsretired how are you doing?
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Thanks for asking. Am doing ok. Getting blood work done on Monday so will see where I stand with kidney failure. Tired a lot though and think some of that is the weather but will see.

Food wise am doing ok - need to be a bit better though as the weight is coming off really really slow - and the more overweight you are with chronic kidney failure is not good. So will up the healthy food getting a bit more vegetables.

We have had about 1 - 2 feet of snow over the last few days and where it is shoveled it comes to about 4 feet. Not as much as we had when we married and lived in a snow belt - at that city we would get 4 feet within 24 hours. Shoveling there it was shoveled to the hight of the house - clad we dont live there any longer lots of nice people but the snow was most of the year

Have a great day everyone

• henridw2095
    Options
    @Marilynsretired glad you’re doing ok and fingers crossed for Monday!!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I ate the last two servings of that butternut squash soup, so I'm going to get another squash.

I had a big bowl of the chickpea salad I made the other day. I still have over a quart left to eat over the next few days.

I made a big green salad with: greens, broccoli, carrots, orange sweet bell, jicama, golden beet, English cucumber, red onion, shiitake vinaigrette, hazelnut oil, balsamic, nutritional yeast, sesame seeds, and black pepper.

b9mgjhp6x1uj.jpg
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    br15l90050cu.jpg

Loads of lovely inspiring food posts recently! My latest adventure is sprouting. I bought a little tiered sprouter from Amazon and trying Oriental Mustard and Mizuna microgreens first.

Has anyone else had experience with this kind of sprouter? No soil, just just Rinse with water a couple of times a day till ready to harvest. I should buy seeds in bulk for economy, but not sure which are the most reliable/easy.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @Curvykinkycurls

I have been making sprouts on and off for over four decades. We used to do it at home when I was growing up. We weren't that adventurous as I recall and mostly just made alfalfa sprouts. It was the rage at the time, and making them at home was cheap and we thought they would be less likely to have salmonella. Turns out they can still harbor salmonella if it came that way from the field where the seeds were grown. These days I mostly do mung beans, but play around with some other seeds when I find them and they aren't too expensive. Radish is good.

I just use quart jars and sprouting lids. I have three sizes. For mung beans, I start with the middle size and then when they start to grow switch to the larger size to let the hulls wash away as the sprouts split them and break away from them.

I have had bad luck so far with broccoli sprouts. They just don't sprout for me. I can buy mung beans in bulk at a local grocery. They are so much less expensive than those labeled specifically for sprouting.

I like to think that when I rinse my sprouts with tap water, the residual chlorine in the water helps reduce the likelihood than any pathogens can grow. Rinsing can physically wash away the bacteria, and if I let them stand in water for a minute before draining (drain well!), I do think that the chlorine can help do its job. The only way to be sure is to cook the sprouts (pasteurize) before eating. You can look at time-temperature charts to see how long you have to get them to a certain temperature to make them safe. If you can get to 151°F (65.6°C), you should be able to get a 7-log reduction in less than one minute.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thank you @mtaratoot for all the info, I will try to find alfalfa seeds in my healthfood store next. Today I had some of the mustard & mizuna microgreens on a salad tonight and was surprised how tasty they were! For little tiny things they were surprising full of flavour!

Tonight's dinner was: lettuce, Cucumber, tomato, avacado, microgreens, mushrooms, lemon-tahini dip, quinoa, tofu & a toasted nut & seed mix. Delicious and very full!
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Had a busy week and got to tired - not good. And today at my weigh in I gained 1.5 pounds back of the 3.5 that I had lost. So need to get it together this week to get that back off to be able to say I met my goal for the month

This week also has some meeting every day - for many that is nothing but for me because of age (75) and chronic kidney disease, well when weeks are like this I end up having 2 - 3 days then just to sleep and don't like sleeping all day as life is to short - but that is what happens when you have kidney disease.

7bhpksww1b39.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited January 24
    Options
    Herb Salad with Pistachios, Fennel, and Horseradish by Alison Roman. I don't usually like raw fennel in salads, but this was tasty! The tender butter lettuce, the lemony dressing, the crunchy pistachios & fennel seeds... yum.
    4bhp0krme07w.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Sorry - no pictures again. You'll have to use your imagination!

I restocked my produce yesterday, so today I had a nice big salad as a fist course. A huge pile of mixed greens tossed very lightly with Annie's Shiitake Vinaigrette, a little hazelnut oil, and a splash of balsamic to start. I then added: orange sweet bell, carrot, jicama, English cucumber, golden beet, red onion, and the first serving from a new batch of mung bean sprouts. They could use to grow another day or two, so I'm leaving them out for now. Tossed again with some fresh ground black pepper and a dose of nutritional yeast.

Then I had a bowl of black bean soup. It was good, and I'm heating up another. I call it "Caldo de Frijoles Negras para febrero," because I first made a batch a couple years ago in February. I don't even bother updating the recipe even though it's not always exactly the same. I just weigh what I eat because for the recipe, one gram is one serving. It's close enough. I love black bean soup. Now that I have that pressure cooker, it's even easier!

Last night I put two cups of black beans in a half-gallon jar to soak. This morning I drained them and put them in the pressure cooker with the obligatory seven Bay leaves, several carrots cut in giant lengths, a half a yellow onion cut in half (two quarters) seven dried chiles de Arbol, a chopped serrano, a glove of garlic separated into cloves and barely chopped, some salt, and a bunch of cumin. Now that I think about it, I forgot to add a tiny bit of vegetable oil to prevent the beans from foaming. It was fine though. I brought the pressure cooker up to pressure, then set the timer for five minutes.

Five minutes to cook beans. Wow.

When the timer went off, I put the pressure cooker aside and went to the gym.

I came home, and the beans were still warm. The pressure cooker has a very thick bottom, and I reckon it holds heat pretty good. I went on a hide-and-seek mission to find all seven bay leaves. That took a while. They like to hide down in the bottom. I found them all. Yay. I spooned out some of the beans into a bowl. Some carrots and onion came with them, so I returned those to the cooker. Then it was time to get busy with the immersion blender. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Done. I added the bowl of beans back in and ladled what I had into three quart yogurt containers and put two in the fridge.

I reheated half of one quart and ate it. The other half of that quart will be hot soon, and... Oh. So. Good.

Breakfast was normal boring but good stuff. It's what I used to eat when I worked. I put about 150 grams of Nancy's whole milk plain yogurt in a bowl and add 30 grams of uncooked thick rolled oats. Today I added 11 grams of cacao nibs. I let that sit an hour while I enjoy coffee. Then I take my supplements (a half-dose of a multi vitamin, some Vitamin D3, and 1000 grams of Vitamin C) and eat. The vitamin D is absorbed better if you take it with protein and fat, so I put the pills in a little bowl so I don't forget to take them when I eat something.

I reckon it's been a good day so far.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited January 25
    Options
    Super Lucky 2024 Black Eyed Peas cooked simply with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and olive oil (extra drizzle of olive oil on top). I love these beans, they have a unique flavor (or at least I have never eaten anything quite like it). And they burst when I bite them, I'm trying to figure out what that reminds me of, cherry tomatoes maybe? So fun :D
    qw514yhezdoy.jpg
  • henridw2095
    edited January 26
    Options
    I will have to try making these black-eyed peas! @takinitalloff

Yesterday evening I shamed myself into cooking an actual recipe, an Andhra (state in South India) style tempeh curry. It starts by toasting an interesting mix of spices (poppy, cumin, fennel seeds, cinnamon, chili) in a dry pan. They are then ground up and cooked with mustard seeds, curry leaves (I freeze a batch every few months), onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and tempeh (that’s been boiled with spices, sort of like a marinade). I’m trying to find recipes with tempeh that I can enjoy. Carried it to lunch today and enjoyed it enough to make it occasionally. I have another portion in the fridge and will taste more carefully tomorrow.

5jtkg281ef3a.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Short grain brown rice and lentils cooked in one pot. I started the water with the rice and cooked it for about 20 minutes before adding the lentils. I used a little Better Than Bullion instead of just salt.

Meanwhile, I seeded a delicata squash from a friend's garden. I have two more left. I sliced it, tossed it with hazelnut oil, garlic powder, salt, Aleppo chile flakes, powdered ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon. Probably something else too, but... memory ya know.

Roasted at 425F convection for about 12 minutes, then turned each piece and roasted another 12. It wasn't quite done, oddly enough, so I turned one more time, put them back in, and turned the oven off. The baking stones kept it cooking for another five minutes. During the last minute of cooking, I plated the rice & lentils and then put the squash on to join it.

Now all that's left is an empty Fiesta Ware plate and a smile on my face.

wk6138rlgbxm.jpg

• henridw2095
    edited January 27
    Options
    I love delicata squash @mtaratoot and the idea of rice and lentils is a good one (may try to precook).

Breakfast today was Chickpea flour pancakes (with tumeric, chili, cumin, salt, a thai green chili, red onion and cilantro).

g3kh5urnz4gv.jpeg
  • henridw2095
    edited January 27
    Options
    Lunch was a koginut masala (also containing onion seeds, onions, tumeric, chili (whole dried and powdered), oil, and salt). This is my first time trying koginut, used half in this dish and will prepare the other half plain and roasted.

I don’t have a huge sweet tooth and this dish was a bit sweet for me (all from the squash), although not bad. The dish was still cooking when I took the photo. I ate it with the tempeh curry from the previous post and chapati 🫓. The tempeh curry improved a lot during storage for two days and I will 100% repeat it.

611aqhe8sr50.jpeg
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    ktsrd56sgf5o.png

I made this one-pot braised chard with gnocchi and peas from the New York Times last night. (using the image from the times since my greens looked kind of sickly after cooking). I usually use kale in place of the chard or sometimes beet greens, which gives the dish a pinkish tinge. Can easily be vegan if using EVVO in place of the butter and omitting the parmesan garnish. Bonus is having an open bottle of wine that goes perfectly with the dish.

I had been on a bit of an Asian trend while sick with Covid a couple of weeks ago. Daal with cauliflower and coconut milk, congee with a thai omelet, chinese dry-fry green beans. Common between them is a the spice level, ginger, and garlic. Anything to sooth the throat and open up the sinuses.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @enlightenme3 I love chinese dry green beans and will now make some tonight 🤤