What did you eat today? Pictures welcome!

Options

Replies

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 976 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    gspndg5sq85k.jpeg

Root Veggie Soup with Dandelions from the freezer and a newly baked crispy chickpea topper saved dinner today. I made this soup a few hours before I went on my trip and used up what I had in the fridge: parsnips, turnips, carrots, potatoes, dandelions, onion and garlic. Also added some white beans and soaked cashews before blending…not bad. I don’t normally buy dandelion but someone dropped it off as a gift to our piggies just before I left (they’re not really allowed to have it due to risk of bladder stones).
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Curvykinkycurls funny how cabbages (and their names) say so much about where people come from 😂 . I also had some kohlrabi in Germany. It’s one of my favorite things to eat (raw or cooked).
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,043 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I found these 1920's inspired glasses in a store 🥰 But I don't drink cocktails (or at least not at home), and I don't need drinking glasses... so I left them behind. I kept thinking about them! So the other day I went back to buy two. I've been thinking of ways to turn food into a mini-celebration without eating unhealthy, and this fits the bill perfectly.

Blackberries, mandarin orange, and Fuyu persimmon. Do I ever feel fancy now ✨👸🏻✨
    xjaiwnr0doxa.jpg
    pyz9oy4dj0qu.jpg
    @henridw2095 Your soup looks so delicious! I love fridge/freezer cleanout soup.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @takinitalloff if you keep thinking about things…it’s a sure sign you need them! Love the fancy presentation, it’s not something I am great at. This thread made me notice that much of my food comes in piles that I’m reluctant to photograph 😆. This of course defeats the purpose of showing what we actively eat.
  • takinitalloff
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @takinitalloff if you keep thinking about things…it’s a sure sign you need them! Love the fancy presentation, it’s not something I am great at. This thread made me notice that much of my food comes in piles that I’m reluctant to photograph 😆. This of course defeats the purpose of showing what we actively eat.

Oh I don't know about that, I think your soup is presented beautifully! I do pretty much post everything (the good & beautiful food, the bad "never again" recipes, and also the ugly but tasty meals). Since I don't currently eat vegetarian, I post most of my food over here and it certainly isn't all fancy like this little fruit dessert :) But it sure is fun when it does come out looking like this. I'm just learning how to do this for myself, too. I think we all deserve to feel like a million bucks sometimes ;)
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    6jli5nqqfijb.jpeg

So today I actually took photos of everything I ate…I‘ve been meaning to do this, but today was the first time I remembered at every meal.

Finally finished my stash of steel cut oats for breakfast. Since I hadn’t been shopping yet, I ate them with thawed raspberries and walnuts.

Lunch was a potato salad. I would normally not make this in the fall, but I didn’t feel like fall cooking. Potatoes, peas, edamame, asparagus, dill, radish, olive oil dressing. (Lunch required dill bribes for the piggies, which were eagerly consumed, see bonus photo).

Dinner was one of my fallbacks (ramen noodles with broccoli, chili oil, and tofu), since I turned out to be quite jetlagged after all, but didn’t feel like more soup. Ready in 10 minutes.

Snacks were apple, almonds, date, hot chocolate, more almonds.

When I was at the store I miraculously discovered a savoy cabbage that I plan to cook tomorrow.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    k3s081i3sa97.jpeg
    Date night dinner (mapo tofu, dry chili string beans). There was some regret, although it’s delicious while consumed, probably packed with salt, fat, and MSG. Sadly I’m a sucker for salt, fat, and spice. Ate half the rice and picked out the tofu. I make a healthier version of mapo tofu myself and it’s still salty.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    @henridw2095 I haven't tried Mapo Tofu but goodness me, does that ever look delicious! I recently made Pad Kra Pao which looked a bit like the picture on the left, but I'm assuming tasted way different (it's a Thai dish). Mine wasn't vegetarian so I won't share a photo here, but you can use any protein obviously (and use a vegan/vegetarian fish sauce substitute). Excellent recipe.
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/oct/13/how-to-make-the-perfect-pad-kra-pao-or-thai-stir-fry-recipe
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Raspberries, blackberries, mandarin, almonds ✨👸🏻✨
    i9hmyhncu76e.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @takinitalloff this looks delicious. I’m a big fan of fruits and nuts too, but clearly need to elevate my presentation 😉.

Mapo tofu is my favorite dish, it can be very spicy but I don’t think it has to be. It requires a few speciality ingredients including Szechuan peppercorns and doubanjiang (fermented broad bean and chili paste) and douchi (fermented black beans). I will research Pad Kra Pao …never heard of it!
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    bv8xe0yt5owu.jpeg

I am currently trying out cronometer to track and was inspired to add hemp and chia seeds to my morning oats for extra omega 3 fatty acids. I love the taste of hemp seeds and always have a bag in the fridge. I am not sure if I will switch for tracking (cronometer is the better tracker).

Since I felt super tired today, lunch was vegan pizza and vegan mochi at Whole Foods. I tried persimmons for the first time today as a dessert and enjoyed it, but they’re probably too sweet for my taste. Luckily I don’t have much of a sweet tooth.

I perked up in the late afternoon and for dinner, and finally got around to cooking the savoy cabbage I found this weekend. I made a very simple dish from the NYT cooking section (Martha Rose Shulman), essentially cabbage with onion and garlic, topped with a similarly simple lentil/potato stew. It doesn’t look amazing, but I enjoyed it and will make it again.

The pigs stuck to their regular greens (they’re not triggered by the smell of cabbage, since they’re not allowed to eat it).
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    oqhor1t5vxje.jpeg
    I have lots of cleaning to do today, so lunch was a quick “Elvis sandwich”. Any Elvis sandwich has peanut butter and banana. The non-vegetarian version sometimes has bacon. My favorite version has crunchy PB, chili flakes and ground black pepper. I will eat chili with nearly anything… 😋. This was on an Ezekiel brand English muffin. 17.4 g protein, not bad for a sandwich.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,488 Member
    Options
    rk18h93g3mn2.jpg
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    d8nrnlgzccuj.jpeg
    Trying to get back into cooking and meal prepping. Today I cooked to clean out the fridge. Lunch was a sheet pan with leftover veg (sweet potatoes, onions, zucchini, corn, tofu) tossed with arugula. Dinner was a simple pan with potatoes, cauliflower, and tofu, with onion seeds, green chili, and salt. breakfast was protein oats with blackberries, persimmons, walnuts and hemp seeds.
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Leeks and Aloo Gobi (not consumed together, but both made in the last few days). I love leeks. There’s some tofu under the Aloo Gobi, pretty plain, which doesn’t bother me. Our guinea pigs ate the bulk of the cilantro garnish, I thought I could get away with it, but they noticed 😆.

j9mitmd3jp95.jpeg
    pvci25srab8d.jpeg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    gmumpw46si6q.jpeg
    New Year’s Day breakfast. I wanted to start the New Year with a new dish to set the theme of cooking and trying new things. I settled on these Indian Chickpea Flour pancakes, eaten with blackberries and some tofu. Recipe from
    Richa Hingle. Yum.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    atym0qafwdg4.jpg

I've been addicted to poached pear salads recently. I've had them in restaurants (like this pic) and made them at home, eg my Xmas day starter. Toasted nuts and a light dressing - bliss!

• DawnDenee
    DawnDenee Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    I just made Skillet Gardener's Pie (vegan shepherd's pie) from the fat free vegan blog. https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/05/skillet-gardeners-pie.html It is so ridiculously good and so filling!
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bpr0469a1ms4.jpg

Nourishing Soup

Soak:
    1 cup red lentils, 1 cup puy lentils & 1 cup chana dal/yellow split peas in cold water.

Fry:
    1 finely diced onion
    2 finely diced celery stalks
    3 finely diced carrots
    3 crushed garlic cloves

Season:
    Paprika
    Garlic granules
    Celery salt
    Turmeric

Rinse:
    Rinse pulses till water runs clear & add to the pan. Give it all a good stir

Broth:
    Add enough boiling water to cover, including a dissolved stock cube/bouillon powder. Throw in dried porcini mushrooms for flavour.

Immunity boosters:
    Grate in some ginger (I freeze mine, so much easier to grate)
    Lemon zest & juice
    Chopped parsley
    Chopped spinach

Noodles:
    Soup noodles added at the end, 5-6 mins to cook

Drizzle with a little balsamic & olive oil to serve
  • henridw2095
    edited January 11
    Options
    I’m trying to expand my range of go-to meals. This breakfast tempeh was delicious, I’m normally not a fan of how tempeh tastes, but marinating overnight with miso and spices did the trick for me. I cut the maple syrup to a teaspoon (no sweet tooth) and the oil to 1 tablespoon. 33.5 g protein between the English muffin and the tempeh and 20% calcium requirement (3 leaves of kale) for breakfast 💪🏻.

up5nmrs0kynl.jpeg
    tympaxm90lnj.jpeg
    Recipe from Flanagan’s Rise and Run book.