Downsizers Team Chat - DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?

I'm going to add a third question as I've been on this journey (sometimes successful, sometimes not) for a very long time.

So my question is ...what's different now?

I've been (still) reading the book Younger Next Year (and will read it again). I love the focus and that's what's different for me.

The book has 7 goals for your "Next Third"
    #1: EXERCISE 6 DAYS A WEEK –FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
    #2: DO SERIOUS AEROBIC EXERCISE 4 DAYS A WEEK–FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
    #3: DO SERIOUS STRENGTH TRAINING, WITH WEIGHTS, 2 DAYS A WEEK–FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
    #4: SPEND LESS THAN YOU MAKE.
    #5: QUIT EATING CRAP!
    #6: CARE.
    #7: CONNECT AND COMMIT.

People said...find your why! I struggled and struggled with this idea as none of the why's I came up with held water. I was told " the best way to find my Big (Compelling) Why was to keep asking why"...so I tried.

Previous "whys"...while true...they didn't drive me
    So I tried: Overall question - Why do you want to lose weight?

1. For my health and to be pain free.
    2. To look and feel good.
    3. Purge my "frumpy" clothes
    4. Wear "cute" t-shirts and tops
    5. To be comfortable in an airplane or sports stadium Seat.

So looks like my 3 areas are health, appearance and comfort.
    Round 1 of Why? - I am asking why to each of the 5 questions below
    1. I can do more things when I'm not in pain.
    2. When I look and feel good, I'm ultimately happier
    3. Because my frumpy clothes make me look frumpy (not good) and then I don't like how I look.
    4. Because it makes me feel good when my clothes fit well and aren't frumpy looking which in turn makes me look older.
    5. To enjoy my space and not infringe on anyone else and not worry about my belly looking like a spare tire.

Round 2 of why?
    1. Because it's more fun to do things and not be in pain.
    2. It makes me happy and feel good about myself
    3. Because I don't like how I look in frumpy clothes'
    4. Because I like being mistaken for a younger age
    5. ..........

My new Compelling Why!
    • To Avoid Decline - year over year of getting fatter, slower, weaker, more pain etc
    • Avoid being in a nursing home tied to a chair
    • Avoid needing someone else to take care of me because I didn't take care of me.

And by working on the 7 goals, other things (health, appearance and comfort) will just happen as a by-product, but my why finally resonates. :heart:

Step Challenge - Goal 8,500

Now that I've finished my move, I'm taking this week to just get acclimated to the new place, surroundings, commute (shorter). I no longer have my treadmill with me so I have to find other ways to get steps. There is a small gym in the building so I just need to make that part of my regime. Until I figure it out, I'll work to get extra steps in during the day. 🚶🏽

12/3 ~ 6,603
    12/4 ~ 5,485
    12/5
    12/6
    12/7
    12/8
    12/9
  • RoblinB
    RoblinB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Question

I hit the 200 lb mark this summer (on my 5' 3" frame) for the first time ever and knew I was in trouble. Ignoring my weight because I am too busy with everything else was no longer sustainable (like it ever really was...). I have been overweight and a dieter since I was a child, and although I have had some periods of "normal" weight, overall I have a long, complicated relationship with my body, food, and physical activity. I really needed a resource that would not allow me to simply close my eyes to my behaviours and the subsequent outcomes as I have so often done in the past - that is why accountability within this group is so important to me. I am not a social media person at all so posting anything here definitely freaked me out at first! Thank you for creating a safe space where I could grow into that. This has been hugely beneficial to me!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,390 Member
    Options
    Question

I started this journey to get healthy ... In 2019 I was in the hospital for 9 days with the flu that turned into pneumonia...I was on all kinds of meds and I was told I had type 2 diabetes I was on insulin etc .. my weight was around 240 and I was miserable ...I knew I had to do something so I started walking with my daughter and my husky Aspen daily getting 20,000+ steps ...I was feeling great ...eating great etc ...I was no longer on any meds and I turned around my type 2 diabetes YAY ... I am still in a cast from falling into my dogs craters that they dug up ... I am still sick with bronchitis ...and I am still on the sidelines ughhh I want my active life back... sorry for being a downer
  • laquita606
    laquita606 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    pw:238
    cw:237.2

steps:
    11/26-0
    12/2-3,160
  • aactuallyaash
    aactuallyaash Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

aactuallyaash
    11/26 -7658
    12/2-2437

Thank you!
  • Learningmoments
    Learningmoments Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? What's different now?
    Great questions. I LOVE being healthy & strong. I don't ever want to go back to an unhealthy lifestyle. It just feels so good. High blood pressure pushed me to start. I love being active and I am glad I got away from processed food. I want to continue learning how to not let things interfere with my healthy lifestyle.
  • Slimmersixties
    Slimmersixties Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Question

I started my weight loss for two reasons 1. My knees were so bad i couldn't walk far and 2. Someone took a picture of me when i wasnt looking and i was shocked ....

s7vsxx8riofa.jpg
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW : 215.7
    CW : 216.7

STEPS:
    11/26: 17494
    11/27: 4530
    11/28: 16088
    11/29: 13407
    11/30: 13724
    12/01: 15107
    12/02: 2480
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,503 Member
    Options
    Question

Like so many of you, I started this journey to get healthy. I wanted to be more active and be around to see my granddaughters get married and hopefully meet some great grandchildren. The push to start came when I started therapy for binge eating disorder. I realized I was slowly killing myself binge eating and my weight was increasing each year. My diabetes was not well managed and I was starting to see other effects from this (neuropathy). I likrpe the what’s different question. Unlike some, my pain has actually got worse since I started. I have adjusted my expectations and now I want to improve my walking and of course, maintain my weight. So my biggest why right now is I don’t want my mobility to decrease.

• lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @itladyee
    That sounds like an interesting book. I will definitely be ordering it.

@ddainiak
    Walking that trail is a great accomplishment. It would be nice doing it with your husband.

@RoblinB
    I am glad you find this group beneficial. It’s been a lifesaver for me.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    We definitely go throgh a period of grieving when we are unable to do what we could before. Find some seated exercises on YouTube that you like. This can keep you active until you can walk again.

• lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps:5,153
    Rings:✔️
    Daily walk:✔️

I woke up super early again. 😡 I did some walks yesterday. I am not able to wear my watch again. I got it to work in my pocket. I think it didn’t work before when I tried because I didn’t close the band. I haven’t decided if I will do walks or go to the pool.

Enjoy your day!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Question

What do you think your biggest obstacle to losing weight in the next month? How about the next 6 months? What are you going to do to overcome your obstacles?
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,164 Member
    Options
    @RoblinB Congratulations on meeting your Christmas goal!

Question

What do you think your biggest obstacle to losing weight in the next month? How about the next 6 months? What are you going to do to overcome your obstacles?

My biggest obstacle will be all the social situations that occur in December. I am not very good at resisting food temptations. The next six months - I don't have too many things planned - but I'm sure they will come up. Nutrition is always the harder of the exercise vs nutrition question. I don't know how to resist when I am offered something good, or how to make better choices when I go out - and avoiding these situations only makes me sad. So, I just usually give in, and then get right back at it the next day.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,390 Member
    Options
    qfe28g6omic0.jpg
    NOVEMBER WEEK 5 RESULTS:
    TOP 5 STEPPERS ARE:

1st @ddainiak 130,878 steps
    2nd @Mama530 82,830 steps
    3rd @Hotspur11 81,476 steps
    4th @Slimmersixties 62,243 steps
    5th @laquita606 60,670 steps
    GREAT JOB EVERYONE :):):)
    As A Group We Walked 698,145 steps
    WELL DONE EVERYBODY :):):):)

RECOGNIZING EVERYONE WHO PLEDGED THEIR STEPS:
    @lindamtuck2018 7/7
    @aactuallyaash 0/7
    @itladyee 3/7
    @Mama530 5/7
    @adianeschu 7/7
    @Hotspur11 6/7
    @RoblinB 7/7
    @laquita606 5/7
    @Slimmersixties 7/7
    @Learningmoments 4/7
    @ddainiak 6/7

uj0n13accp5y.jpg
    GRAND FINALE
    TOP 5 STEPPERS FROM THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER ARE:

1st @ddainiak 333,975 steps
    2nd @Hotspur11 235,617 steps
    3rd @Mama530 184,908 steps
    4th @itladyee 182,575 steps
    5th @Slimmersixties 147,365 steps
    As A Group We Walked 1,728,348 steps for the month of November
    GREAT JOB EVERYBODY :):):):):)

• aactuallyaash
    aactuallyaash Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018

Aactuallyaash
    Tuesday
    Pw: 232
    Cw:230.4

Thanks!
  • NachDeezy
    NachDeezy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018

Aactuallyaash
    Tuesday
    Pw: 232
    Cw:230.4

Thanks!

Killin it! Nice work!
  • NachDeezy
    NachDeezy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    GRAND FINALE
    TOP 5 STEPPERS FROM THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER ARE:

1st @ddainiak 333,975 steps
    2nd @Hotspur11 235,617 steps
    3rd @Mama530 184,908 steps
    4th @itladyee 182,575 steps
    5th @Slimmersixties 147,365 steps
    As A Group We Walked 1,728,348 steps for the month of November
    GREAT JOB EVERYBODY :):):):):)

Yall are true friggin heroes... can't wait to be like you 🫶🏽
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,164 Member
    Options
    8id9mnnizovu.png
    To anyone celebrating - Happy First Night of Hanukkah!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Question

I am going to change the question for me to say what is my biggest obstacle to stay in my maintenance range. December is a challenging month for not gaining weight. Between December 18th to New Year’s Day we have quite a few celebrations. I will overcome these challenges by being mindful of what I am eating. I think the next few months will be challenging learning how to stay in the maintenance range. I will make sure to ask others that are maintaining for guidance.

This discussion has been closed.