Dashing through December

Options
1235»

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,770 Member
    Options
    Morning all...

Almost made it my whole 10 hours yesterday.

Menu is not the greatest, but I am including two major stars...greens and beans. For me, key to keep things moving along.

I think using the prep help is important to keep you focused on your dietary goals, Mihani. Good job.

Keep it deeeeeeeeeeeelicous every...later, my sweet peas!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. At first I was just really, really, reallllly lazy about posting on MFP although I was reading posts occasionally. But the last few months have been really hectic and stressful with some family stuff going on.

Sorry to hear how sick many have been - but it sounds like you've all been taking care of yourselves as needed to be on the mend. There is definitely a lot of sickness going around, I think I might start wearing a mask again in public.

@bisky it's a shame you had to change your plans. But your pictures from the last trip are fantastic! Looks like you had a great time.

@Carla_wfpb, great news about your kidney results!

I'm making a commitment to start in January to go 100% vegan at home and as vegan as I can when out. I've done it for weeks at a time, but just always fall back to eating cheese. I'm also going to cut out the processed food - it might be giving me a lot of protein, but it's also giving me a lot of sodium, sugar and preservatives. So 2024 is my year to truly go Whole Food, Plants Only!
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    rdqm1lzbu67i.jpg
  • magic71755
    edited December 2023
    Options
    p0d0c1vvbuil.png

My images work...they just do not move...which is sad cuz some of them are so fun...missed Christmas...so you might see a few in the next couple of days.

Welcome back Spark. Great goals...I especially like how you will be vegan at home and do your best when out. That way you're more likely to stick to it.

My goal for the new year is to be sure I am very low-key about being vegan...everyone I am close with knows...so we do not need to keep repeating it. THEY do, I don't. But I am just going to ignore the snide comments...and when going out, I am going to be more creative about ordering.

My family loves to go to this steak restaurant for special occasions. They have one vegan meal. I am sick of it. Next time, I am ordering a salad minus all the stuff we don't eat, and a baked potato or if they don't have that, FRIES. There has to be an easier way when out with my family. It is always so stressful for me. It's not fun.

I made it ten hours yesterday. Go me! At about 4:30, I start getting congested and feeling poorly
    w3z2zgclblwh.png
    ...and the coughing starts again. I go home, fall asleep by 8 and I am up at 2:30. Well at least I am sleeping. So that's good.

I have been having Just Egg liquid with loads of spinach for breakfast. Lunch, a sandwich on Jewish Rye. And for dinner, a bean burrito. Really simple meals for now. Once I am better and able to shop properly and prepare, back to more and more veg.
    Keep it delicious everyone...and stay healthy. Love you guys! xvvjl3jibj3b.png
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Hey Spring! Glad to see you. I wondered what happened to you. Sorry to hear things have been stressful on the home front.

Nanc, hope you can take it a little easier getting back to work.

Still in a crazy busy work cycle with end of year. Stopped and got some grab and go on the way home last night and that will be lunches and dinners the next few days.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    6ryiz43dn4m2.jpg
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Thanks all for the warm welcome back!
    Magic, a steakhouse, yikes :o The few times I've been to a steakhouse the only thing I could get was a baked potato and some yucky overcooked veggies. That was many years ago and I think many now at least offer a veggie burger though that's not the healthiest thing to eat. I hope your cough goes away soon.

So, I'm gearing up for a weight loss challenge here on MFP and am facing a dilemma: The challenge starts on January 3rd and I'm going away from the 6th to the 20th. My dear hubby and I are going to spend the two weeks helping out my BIL (long story I won't go into right now, maybe in another post). Since I'm planning to go 100% vegan,I really want to cook all my food at home and not rely on frozen processed foods.
    So my dilemma is that DH and BIL are not even vegetarian (and not on a weight-loss diet) and, while cooking here at our home isn't difficult, I think it will be more so when we're at his place (10 hours away so I can't travel back and forth). Since we're driving down to his place I can bring a bunch of food with me so I can just reheat there and supplement with some quick veggie stir-frys, rice and salads which they'll eat. I have recipes for Walnut Bean Burgers and a Sun-Dried Tomato Lentil Loaf that I'm going to make next week, but I want to basically bring enough food for 3 meals a day, 14 days. I have two other recipes that I can make there because they're quick and easy (not a lot of ingredients and one pan).
    If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I'm especially looking for stuff that I can make here and that will easily wrap. I don't want to bring soups/stews because the containers will take up too much space. Any good recipes for homemade vegan protein bars? Other types of loafs/patties that I can wrap in foil for travel, etc.? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    5c0y25g01nyw.jpg

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @SparkSpringtime69 It is great to see you :) It sounds like you will be off to a good 2024.

Wow, Nanc, that's one nasty bug you caught. At a place like a steakhouse, you might be able to let them know ahead of time when you will be there and put in a special request. give them a week. You never know, if that is where your family always goes there and the restaurant is happy to accommodate you, it will make your experience there so much better. You could look up their menu, and find something that appeals and ask them to use tofu instead of meat and make it vegan. The worst that happens is they say no.

I hope everyone is feeling better soon. How are you doing, Bisky?

• Mihani
    Options
    The week from almost hell (true hell was last week) is over! Got stuff done and feel good about it. Going in tomorrow to try to sort through my desk. I let everything except priorities go the past couple weeks and I have no clue what all people have piled on my desk in the meantime. I just refused to look at any of it because I couldn't afford to get distracted.

I am not feeling quite as rundown but still tired. Left the office at 3:30 so I could run to the regular grocery. I usually just stop at one of the smaller stores for produce once or twice a week, but running low on all kinds of household items and needed to restock.

Spring, I love wraps and pitas and they are easy. Grab some hummus or tahini and load 'em up with bag salad mix or fresh cut veggies. You could have oats with fruit and nuts in the mornings, a wrap or salad with beans added for lunch, and one of your prepared meals or make a quick stir-fry at dinner.

Carla, are you home? How was your visit?

Nanc, do you have any days off coming up that you can get some rest and fight off the last of that bug?

Bisky, hope you are feeling better.

Tonight's dinner is General Tso's jackfruit with black rice and veggies. I hope this one will be good because it sure looks good! Most of the entrees are two meals for me so it's pretty economical, especially if I'm not buying ingredients for things I never get around to making! I have another entree for tomorrow night, and having dinner with my brother NYE. Then I will have to decide if I'm going to do a prep on Monday or just get more grab and go for next week.

• SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Carla, thanks for the welcome (and I know :( , I still owe a superwoman photo, LOL)

Mihani, glad to hear the hell weeks are past you, and I hope you can just sit back and chill a bit.
    Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll probably be avoiding bread products for at least January, but can use some collard leaves instead. Hummus with veggies is a great idea, and so is the oats. I can bring a baggy full of muesli and just buy some plant milk when I get there to make overnight oatmeal. I do plan on buying a bunch of fresh veggies, tofu and tempeh for quick stir frys, but I'm a terrible cook and rely so much on recipes that I was panicking about next month. You've made it sound so much easier, thank you.
  • magic71755
    edited December 2023
    Options
    q1l77yjbrqqt.png8odpo9da9ba1.pngqvj2v0i2apgp.png

Morning all...thank you for the get-well good wishest2lfirx5l5h1.png
    ...I am doing better...but I still fall apart about 4:30-5...tired, naturally, and just not feeling well...lots of coughing. So I get home about 6:10 and I am in bed by 7.
    I'm off today, but I'm going in tomorrow to try and catch up a little...loads of paperwork. The most I will stay is six hours. 10- 4

New Year's Day, going over to my sister's...my niece and her DH and baby girl are here for a week.

Yesterday I got the name of a lady who dog sits while you're away. I met her in person.. a lovely lady, I mean she is a dog person. Anyway, $40 a day per dog. That is so reasonable. She stays at your home. I am so excited because that means I get to go visit my niece in Houston...sometime this year, I am hoping.

Still eating the just egg liquid with spinach in the morning. We have a salad place called Mad Greens...they make a really good vegan salad...Siam I Am! https://www.madgreens.com/
    I had one this past week, at work. Think I will order again today. After all, I deserve it. nr70c0kmsi0b.png (haha)

As far as my family goes...I am just going to try and no longer stress about it. Wherever they choose to go, I will figure it out without becoming upset or worrying about what I will eat.

Home today...will clean the kitchen, change the linen and do a little laundry. For the most part, take it easy.
    Stay well everyone, and do make it deeeeeeelicious! ye1bx4hlajlc.png

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Mihani, how was the General Tso's Jackfruit? We had a very nice visit (didn't spend the night) and the kids loved the VR headset we got them. It is a hit with my brother too.

Excellent news about the potential dog sitter, Nanc.

I'm continuing to get my activity in primarily through the VR headset. I just got a new active game to keep things interesting, called Pistol Whip. It's strange but totally fun. You shoot at and dodge bad guys using Matrix-like moves to avoid getting hit and all while trying to hit the bad guys to the beat of the music.

My step count is only 3500 so far today (about to walk dogs) but I have 76 zone minutes thanks to Pistol Whip and another sweaty Supernatural workout.

My plan for January is to have a smoothie for breakfast and continue with the Plantage meals for dinner. I will add an afternoon snack if I need it. I'm aiming for 6500 plus steps per day since the VR workouts don't add up as much step-wise.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Nanc, that salad sounds awesome! Yum. Don't work too hard and get better woman!

Spring, that all sounds like a great plan and you'll do just fine.

Went to the office this a.m. for about 5 hours. We had 3 clients in today but my boss was there and met with them so it wasn't too much of my time. Spent the rest of it, literally, sorting through all the crap on my desk and dealt with a lot but some I brought home. On the bright side nothing else I have to be in the office for right this second, and won't have to go back until Tuesday.

I am giving up on the WFPB place. I will stop in and grab a couple things I know that I like now and then, but too much of it is WAY too spicy. Like tongue burning painful spicy. I can't rely on it for meals over the long haul. The entree I hoped would be so good last night went in the trash.

So I stopped and got cabbage and kale to make a pot of black eyed peas. I made up the "recipe" years ago and it's so good. Cabbage, kale, black eyed peas, onion, potato, spices, veggie broth. Also got japanese sweet potatoes and lettuce and veggies for salads. Should get me through most of next week.

• Mihani
    Options
    Carla, we were posting at the same time. See above the entree sucked. LOL

Glad you had a good visit!
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    lslcw449qqir.jpg
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    ah too bad about the entree & the food generally being too spicy. at least there are a few items there (broccoli salad?) that you enjoyed if you are in a pinch.

Plantage was off for a week, and we have been missing it! We're going to make spaghetti tonight. We pick up our next weeks worth of meals this Tuesday.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    fvx4dmbkjpqb.jpg
  • magic71755
    edited December 2023
    Options
    tuozt3sjj71g.png
    I decided not to go in today...stayed home, took a hot shower, clean PJs and naps... ate good food, and just tried to continue to get well for the xf0jw1dnkxiq.png

coffee
    just egg liquid, spinach, chao creamy shreds, chili corn salsa
    Mad Greens Siam I AM (ordered two yesterday...one delivery charge, smarty pants me)
    bean taco/burrito thing
    vegan cookies for the celebration

Lights out by 8-9pm
    v8bhyr3xmz1u.png

Make it deeeeeeeeeeelicious, y'all!