qp0t70xofny1.png
    4tb8ram5jk5o.png

Team Winners
    y2fe4qmbxum4.png
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions as this sums up my year

Most sources interpret this expression as meaning that good intentions are worthless unless followed up with action.

Some offer an alternative interpretation: that actions that are taken with good intent can have unintended negative consequences.

For me, in 2023 it was a combination of both.
    I was struggling January - March with some slow progress but I will still call it progress. I had severe swelling and pain in my right foot and it was finally (after almost 3 months) diagnosed as Gout. Meds have kept this under control so I could resume activity. I joined this group in March. April - June I made some new discoveries that seemed to launch me in the right direction.

July started well and then uncontrolled life occurrences sent me into a crazy spiral -
    - Husband home 24/7 since May 11 (had knee surgery) > No "me" time and care taker for the first 90 days while still working
    - Car issue that was life threatening
    - Major Fight with my husband as he wants to retire now but told me I needed to work until age 65
    - My 14 year old dog died
    - Decision: If retiring will need to downsize
    - Another Major Fight with Husband
    - My sister passed at 75 years. She had a stroke 8 years ago and was diagnosed with Breast cancer 4 years ago and was expected to only live months after that diagnosis
    - Sold Home of 10 years and moved into 2 bedroom apartment
    - Company purchased by new owners - future unknown

While my "intent" was still there - I just couldn't follow up or go through with actions to achieve said goal.

The "actions" that I continued, didn't yield the results desired as I wasn't fully committed to the action.

Lightbulb!!
    As a result, I ended 2023 almost 3lbs heavier than my start in 2023. Normally this would upset me and I'd throw in the towel, only to gain more weight; but I did have success in 2023. Life just got in the way and I lost my focus. During the ride, I learned some things that work and truly are sustainable, I also learned that I need to work on my emotions and how they relate to how I treat or mistreat my body. This along is a change in mindset.

I'm excited for 2024.
    I'm still working on goals, but the first thing that I'm going to do is redirect my focus. Usually the focus is on pounds loss, when pounds loss is really the outcome or result. I want to focus on steps to achieve that result and not be radar focused on just weight loss. Not that I don't want to lose weight but I want to focus on the things that, as an end result, will cause me to lose weight - but not focusing on just losing weight. I hope that makes sense. I think that's where I get into trouble mentally as I either want to lose a certain amount a day/week/month and when it doesn't happen, I get frustrated and sometimes lose focus. I've had this focus before but somewhere along the way - it got lost.

I've joined a few more groups to keep me engaged. Just following all the challenges should keep me busy and hopefully focused!!!

Smart Goals for 2024
    Goal#1 - Calories - 80% of the week my calories will be between 1200 and 1400, 20% of the week my calories will not exceed 1600. I'm still working on my calorie goal so this might change.
    - Log each and everything that I eat and/or drink in a timely manner each day.

Goal#2 - Wine /Alcohol Reduction - Almost Dry January
    - January 1 - 2 Vacation
    - January 8 or designated celebration day for my husband's birthday

Goal #3 - Water - Target by the end of each week
    Ending 1/6 = 33 ounces (2 bottles)
    Ending 1/13 = 50 ounces (3 bottles)
    Ending 1/20 = 67 ounces (4 bottles)
    Ending 1/27 = 84.5 ounces (5 bottles)
    Ramp up slowly vs drinking immediately drinking 1/2 your body weight and spending tons of time in the bathroom. I'm hoping that my slowing increasing my intake will train my bladder🙂

Goal #4 - Exercise - 6 days a week.
    I started this program on 12/9 and I'm kicking it! For now. The days are getting a little tougher to get going but that's why I like the morning work out. Before my mind has a chance to object - I'm crawling out of bed and half way there.

This is my schedule right now alternating days and resting on Sundays.
    Day 1, 3, 5: ST - Chest, Shoulders, Back + 30 minute treadmill
    Day 2, 4, 6: ST - Arms & Legs + 10 minute Bike and 20 minute
    My goal is adding in stretching and core workouts so my schedule will look more like this:

Day 1, 4: ST - Chest, Shoulders, Back + 30 minute treadmill
    Day 2, 5: ST - Arms & Legs + 10 minute Bike and 20 minute
    treadmill.
    Day 3, 6: Stretching and Core Exercises - 30 minutes treadmill

Goal #5 - Finish reading Younger Next Year, Start Reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Emotional Eating - a min of 10 minutes a day

Other Goals for 2024 (need to turn into Smart Goals)
    Be Present and Mindful
    Have some fun

I revisit my goals monthly, give myself a grade and tweak as needed :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,404 Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    3el9um5mbzju.png

Here is my Sunday reminder of the people's steps I need for December week 4 ..Please have them in no later than Tuesday evening of January 2nd ..Thank you for your cooperation :)

@aactuallyaash 12/24 - 12/30

@Mama530 12/24 - 12/30
    @adianeschu 12/24 - 12/30
    @laquita606 12/24 - 12/30
    @Slimmersixties 12/26 - 12/30

@FindingSamMon 12/29 & 12/30
    @Myhand4God 12/27 -12/30
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Step Goal 8,500
    12/24 ~ 11,527
    12/25 ~ 6,878
    12/26 ~ 6,184
    12/27 ~ 4,299
    12/28 ~ 8,039
    12/29 ~ 10,764
    12/30 ~ 25,152

@RoblinB ~ Congrats on those nonscale victories. Very Nice!

@Rainyrae ~ Congratulations Grandma!!

@iLive2Walk ~ Congrats on your most fabulous 2023! I love your goals for 2024. Some are similar for me and I'm going to see what kinds of walking challenge I can come up with! Thanks for sharing.

@Lindamtuck2018 ~ I love the Jar idea. Very Cool! Congrats on reaching your goal weight!!

@minstrelofsarcasm
    As a whole, we know how to party!!

Love it...sometimes we just need a break. Look out January!! :)
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,508 Member
    Options
    iLive2Walk wrote: »
    @iLive2Walk
    I love your monthly and yearly reflection. I was kind of thinking on doing something I saw on facebook. Each week you write something good that happened. Then at the end of the year you can read all of them.
    6y3nnx0ffehr.jpeg

I love this idea - going to start that this week! Hope you don't mind that I share!💖

Absolutely
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Congrats to our top three for week 4:

@abeks
    @FindingSamMon
    @prodigal6766

• lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Congratulations Downsizers on an amazing December!

Awesome work to our top three for December:
    @prodigal6766
    @Slimmersixties
    @RoblinB

Also offer a big round of applause to @Slimmersixties who reached both goal and a 100 pounds lost! 👏👏👏👏👏👏
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @itladyee
    I like how you have broke everything down, I think with everything you have faced since July, it’s a huge win that you with ending the year with a 3 pound gain. I faced a big challenge in the last few months of 2020 which sent me into a spiral of binge eating leaving me with a 35 pound gain. That meant I had to relose those pounds which was a kink in my journey. I think learning how to avoid those emotional triggers is so important to weight loss. I am impressed you didn’t spiral and gain weight.
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Here are my steps from Dec 24 - Dec 30

24-Dec 7,985
    25-Dec 13,635
    26-Dec 19,178
    27-Dec 20,837
    28-Dec 20,304
    29-Dec 18,437
    30-Dec 23,803
    Tot 124,179

• abeks
    abeks Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Pw: 209
    Cw: 209
    Happy new year everyone!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,404 Member
    Options

Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 37,073 Member
    8:46PM
    We have another new member joining our amazing team ..Please welcome @danninicole5682 :)
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    meayjb4piuw2.png

Wishing all you a very Happy New Year!
  • rwillems
    rwillems Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018

Sorry about being so late Linda. Here are my Sunday Weigh-in Numbers:

User: rwillems
    Weigh-in Day: Sunday
    PW: 279.8 lbs
    CW: 282.2 lbs (Up 4.4 -- alright party is over - back to work now!)

• prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    rwillems wrote: »
    @lindamtuck2018

Sorry about being so late Linda. Here are my Sunday Weigh-in Numbers:

User: rwillems
    Weigh-in Day: Sunday
    PW: 279.8 lbs
    CW: 282.2 lbs (Up 4.4 -- alright party is over - back to work now!)

I hear you on getting back at it. While I am maintaining, I feel gross from the terrible food I have been eating.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps:3,083
    Rings: ❌
    Walk:❌
    Swim: 0/2

It’s truth time. I relapsed over the holidays with coke. It was in my apartment as that was one of the things I had to bring to my daughters. Since Christmas I have sent my husband out to get it several times. This is a real addiction for me. It took months to stop at the beginning of my journey. It was scary to see how fast I started craving it again. It makes me not want to eat. There is none left so no more coke for me. I know I will crave it today but the calories and sugar is not something I need. At one point I drank minimum 2 litres a day. I don’t ever want to go back there.

The pool opens back up tomorrow. My bathing suits came yesterday. I ordered three and there are different sizes so one is sure to fit. I have no appointments this week so I have no excuses not to get there.

Happy New Year!

dxs0mrvacm0s.jpeg

• adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    PW-214.2
    CW-214
    My goal for the month of Dec. was not to gain much weight. I did iI! I stayed at 214. Now time to get busy on the weight loss!
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    12/24-9864
    12/25-4341
    12/26-3248
    12/27-7958
    12/28-7002
    12/29-2548
    12/30-0057 in bed all day!
    Its been a really ruff week!
  • rainyrae
    rainyrae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not off to a very good start here but not because I am not motivated. I have been down with an upper respiratory illness for two weeks now. I really thought it would be gone by the 31st and I’d hit the ground running. Instead I’m walking slowly from the bed to the couch, turning on the tv and staring at the Christmas decorations that usually come down the day after Christmas for me. I’m so bummed but I love reading about what everyone else is doing!

@lindamtuck2018

I hear you on the soda issue. I kicked my habit in March and it still sounds so good to me that I don’t dare have even one.

@danninicole5682 welcome!

@Slimmersixties 👏👏👏

@itladyee I like the thought process of but trying to lose weight but rather trying to increase habits that weight loss will be the end result!

Congratulations also to all the December weight losses and those who maintained as well! Holidays are hard.
This discussion has been closed.