Keeping up! Working hard and struggling with weight.

Options
Hi Everyone. New to the group. I have been a MFP member since 2017 and have been an on/off user. The deal is, I know this is the case for most of us, I have been educated on health and wellness and have continued in the cycle for 17 years now. And, unfortunately, I gave up for a while. I was just tired of constantly trying. I'll lose 30 lbs and gain it back in the same year. Been a true struggle.

What is my issue? I have created a system of self-rewarding that is truly unhealthy. I work very hard in my job and juggle a huge workload and responsibilities. I am at my computer or traveling 50+ hours a week and find myself saying, "I deserve this late-night snack, It was quite a day!" You know the drill. Food and drink have become my affirmations without even realizing it.

Currently, I am at my highest weight and am trying to get back on track. Trying to find a balance. I would love to be a part of this community. I know it will help to connect with friends who understand these kinds of daily struggles. Thanks, everyone and I look forward to connecting!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,615 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our little corner of MFP.

It sounds like you've got some work cut out for you OUTSIDE of sitting at the computer and traveling. It wouldn't be easy to do, but if somehow you could say to yourself, "I deserve to forego this late-night snack because I deserve the results I will see over time if I do it consistently." It's still a reward system, but it's delayed gratification. Yeah. I know. Ain't easy.

Is there any way to reduce your workload? It might pay off in spades even if it means less remuneration. You can't buy good health. You have to earn it through actions. Even then it's not guaranteed.

Even just keeping eating healthy while traveling can be a real challenge, much less staying at a calorie goal. For sure you've got some difficult work to do.

It's been pretty quiet around here lately, but that can change. Check back and let us know how you're doing and what challenges you've overcome!
  • ddickson10131
    ddickson10131 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot Thanks for the reply and supportive note. I'll let ya know how it goes.
  • Mia_Vojago
    Mia_Vojago Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY relate to everything in your post (in my case I lose and gain the same 40 pounds!) I am also a self-rewarder who works long hours. I don't drink at home but when I am out for an evening meal I LOVE to have a fancy cocktail which are very often loaded with calories and sugar. My blood pressure has made the decision for me though -- it is past time to lose weight and eat right.
  • ddickson10131
    ddickson10131 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Update on Progress. Been doing pretty well on keeping it around 1200 calories and intermittent fasting. Still struggling to find healthy options in small towns and fast lunches. I was cracking up last week because my Apple watch asked me if I wanted to record my elliptical exercise as I was walking through the airport dragging my luggage.:) I guess I am getting more exercise than I thought! lol!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Update on Progress. Been doing pretty well on keeping it around 1200 calories and intermittent fasting. Still struggling to find healthy options in small towns and fast lunches. I was cracking up last week because my Apple watch asked me if I wanted to record my elliptical exercise as I was walking through the airport dragging my luggage.:) I guess I am getting more exercise than I thought! lol!

What's your definition of "healthy options"?

Sometimes when traveling, I find it easier to get things at a convenience store or grocery: Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fruit, V-8 juice (original), unsweetened tea.

Fast lunches, if we're talking fast food, my #1 choice would be a Subway salad. Sit-downs, I do better at "breakfast all day" places, but I think that's because I'm vegetarian. Many sit-downs will vary the menu items somewhat, such as leaving off sauces/dressings (or serving on the side), sometimes grilling/broiling rather than frying, letting a person order a plate of vegetable sides, ordering sandwiches without bread/bun, etc. (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those things I mention leaving off, other than that they tend to be calorie dense.)

Many of the fast-food joints will let you order things that aren't explicitly on the menu. Their online ordering tools can clarify the options, even if not ordering online. For example, some of my friends like Taco Bell. I order a veggie power bowl minus rice plus black beans. Nothing on the menu board says that's possible. I hate it, but one friend I travel with adores McDonald's. At most sites, I can order round eggs and cheese, no bread. That isn't very food like, and the way McD's operates it probably isn't even strictly vegetarian, but I can eat it without digestive distress.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options

What's your definition of "healthy options"?

Sometimes when traveling, I find it easier to get things at a convenience store or grocery: Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fruit, V-8 juice (original), unsweetened tea.

Fast lunches, if we're talking fast food, my #1 choice would be a Subway salad. Sit-downs, I do better at "breakfast all day" places, but I think that's because I'm vegetarian. Many sit-downs will vary the menu items somewhat, such as leaving off sauces/dressings (or serving on the side), sometimes grilling/broiling rather than frying, letting a person order a plate of vegetable sides, ordering sandwiches without bread/bun, etc. (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those things I mention leaving off, other than that they tend to be calorie dense.)

Many of the fast-food joints will let you order things that aren't explicitly on the menu. Their online ordering tools can clarify the options, even if not ordering online. For example, some of my friends like Taco Bell. I order a veggie power bowl minus rice plus black beans. Nothing on the menu board says that's possible. I hate it, but one friend I travel with adores McDonald's. At most sites, I can order round eggs and cheese, no bread. That isn't very food like, and the way McD's operates it probably isn't even strictly vegetarian, but I can eat it without digestive distress.