Food inspiration, or what's for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    edited February 21
    Options
    That's my coffee, dark coffee (one of three Lavazza by preference though I do stray occasionally), 57g, 800g water, rich coffee setting, drink black!๐Ÿ˜
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,637 Member
    Options
    I usually just refer to it as "tea" - anything extra/beyond that would necessitate more words :)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited February 21
    Options
    I usually just refer to it as "tea" - anything extra/beyond that would necessitate more words :)

Yep, me too. But adding the 'builders' is shorthand for saying you had a nice strong wake-you-up brew.

You might have a conversation that goes thus:
    Do you want a cuppa?
    Mmmm, lovely!
    We have earl grey? licorice and peppermint?
    No, just regular tea please...
    Sure you wouldn't like a herbal tea?
    No, honestly! Just a mug of builders is fine....
  • PAV8888
    edited February 21
    Options
    I thought that tea in the British Isles involves cucumbers and no crust!! Or maybe a good curry!!!๐Ÿ˜ Not so much so closer to the center of the universe!!!!๐Ÿคฃ (Ok industrial working class areas NEAR the center of the universe!!!!) ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿค ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    This recalls MIL's disappointment when she was hospitalised last summer with a broken hip. She checked the box for 'High tea' on the sunday menu card, and was bitterly disappointed when instead of the smoked salmon and peeled cucumber crust-less-thin-wholemeal-bread-finger sandwichs and homemade petit-fours of her imagination, she got four triangles of cheese-and-pickle on regular white sliced bread with (gasp!) the crusts still in-situ...and an Eccles cake. :D:D:D
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But eccles cake is YUM!!!!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    But eccles cake is YUM!!!!

I agree - it's one of my most favourite cakes - but sadly it's neither dainty nor posh and thus (according to MIL's internal etiquette guide) has no place at high tea.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    My goodness - today am off researching eccles cake and checking amazon to see if ordering black currants is an easy task.

Must not "eat" everything I read about!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    walmart has them in their "british" section--not sure why I would know :blush: But I think some sugar free pudding experiments and practicing shaving chocolate and almond shavings over the pudding might be more fun!!!! :wink:
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Are currants peculiarly British then? Who knew? You can buy them in every supermarket and mini-market over here!
  • PAV8888
    edited February 22
    Options
    I haven't bought any/often; but I'm fairly sure that gooseberries show up from time to time. I believe that dried currants can be found.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    currants are not too difficult to find - it is just my local grocery store is very small and has a limited selection.
    Next "event" I have I'm definitely going to make these - they sound like something a person should have a least once in a lifetime! I'm 60 and haven't yet. I better get a move on :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hmmm....I'll take "types of cakes, cookies, chocolates, candies, and sweets I haven't tried before 60 as of yet" for $1,000 please Alex!๐Ÿ˜
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Three (non-consecutive) days this week hubby and I have been experimenting with eating only two meals per day instead of our usual three.

On the two-meal days we've been having a full english breakfast (two rashers of grilled lean bacon, a grilled lean sausage, slice of black pudding, 100g baked beans, dry-roasted cherry tomatoes, poached mushrooms, a poached egg and a slice of wholewheat toast with 5g butter). We have this at about 10am. Then we've been skipping lunch and having a light, balanced dinner at around 6pm.

Our impressions so far are that the higher protein / higher calorie breakfast eaten around 1.5 hours later than our usual protein-free breakfast keeps hunger at bay all day...so that come dinner-time we're no hungrier than we are on the days when we have breakfast and lunch. And we've each been ending the day on slightly fewer calories than on a 3-meal day.

Not sure if we'll make this a regular thing, but the early results are interesting....

• PAV8888
    Options
    Mfpeeeeeeeee post killer! ๐Ÿ˜ž

I agree that this method is one that can work out for me on at least a temporary basis **if I manage to keep the before and after dinner snacks to a dull roar.**

Use it often on vacations and when planning to eat out for dinner.

It tends to work for me but it also tends to backfire spectacularly whenever the after dinner snacking disintegrates into non hunger driven eating!

(Do I get a diplomatic language award for that last one?????) ๐Ÿค”
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That is great if it works for you! I would like to do that, but at the moment it would turn into a problematic evening - were I would have a battle ENDING dinner. At least it would if I was at home. Maybe if I was out and about or had immediate after dinner plans it would work :)
  • Rashel_kitten
    Rashel_kitten Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Today I had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese , 1 boiled egg and 1 naval orange for breakfast.....

yesterday I had 1/2 of a grapefruit (it wasn't as bad as I remembered and I was able to get through the whole half I set out to eat) and 2 boiled eggs...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    great breakfasts, Rashel! I wish I could stomach boiled eggs - they seem just perfect! But I'm happy with the cottage cheese - which works well when I'm not being foolish and not eating it :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    A slice of the thin, hearty pumpernickel bread very well toasted, topped with raspberry spread and 100g of cottage cheese then sprinkled with 8g of chopped walnuts; 3 small clementines on the side and a cup of builders tea :)

Will not skip this br

I don't know if there is a special name to identify this type of pumpernickel - so I'll include a picture :)

xxtarbxq4bcb.png
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Yay, builder's tea has made it to Canada! :D

What a yummy breakfast!