Working out what stalls me

Options
Snookums666
Snookums666 Posts: 12 Member
Im in my early 50's and really love the way this eating style reduces hunger and takes away my cravings.
But, I've found that many foods stop my weightloss even when low carb.
The miracle noodles stall me completely, So does cheese.
Im very vigilant staying under 30grms of carbs and 1200 calories.. So confused why I can't eat certain things?? I don't eat the pretend bread, cakes etc.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,133 Member
    Options
    Im in my early 50's and really love the way this eating style reduces hunger and takes away my cravings.
    But, I've found that many foods stop my weightloss even when low carb.
    The miracle noodles stall me completely, So does cheese.
    Im very vigilant staying under 30grms of carbs and 1200 calories.. So confused why I can't eat certain things?? I don't eat the pretend bread, cakes etc.

The issue is that weight loss is a horrible short term measure of progress. I say that because a whole bunch of things can keep weight stable or increase it even while fat is being burned off. In Keto, water retention is not as common, but it can happen due to various factors. Then there is the speed food goes through your digestive system. If it takes longer, your weight will measure not just your body, but also the food in your body. If cheese, miracle noodles, and other things take longer to go through your system, they will "stall" your weight loss even though you could still be losing fat. Another factor is potential food sensitivities. If you are mildly sensitive to something in those foods it will trigger inflammation and that will result in water retention. Finally, fiber, something that makes up miracle noodles, can cause bloating, that is, water retention.

Having said all that. How long are these stalls? If it is only a matter of a short term (several days) weight gain or stopping of weight loss, basically anything less than 3-4 weeks, it is difficult to say if your fat loss has stopped or if you have it masked by something else.
  • Snookums666
    Options
    @rileysowner That made total sense, especially the increased fibre and taking longer to go through the system.
    My stalls are 1-2 weeks between weightloss on the scale.
    I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge 😊
  • rileysowner
    Options
    The other counfounding issue is how much you have to lose. I lost very quickly at first when I was extremely obese. Now, for the past several months now that I am fluxuating between the bottom of overweight and the top area of proper weight, the loss is slow, but progressing. I will have weeks with no loss, then will have a big loss (relatively speaking), followed by a week or two of no loss. The overall trend is down, just not fast like it was.
  • Snookums666
    Options
    @rileysowner I guess you could factor that in too. I use kilos here, and have about 6-7 to go until I'm at the top of recommended BMI for healthy weight.

I probably need to move away from the expectation that i will lose weight every week.
    My shape is changing in a positive way so maybe I need to celebrate the non scale wins a little more. 😊

Thanks again for your insight, it's much appreciated 👍
  • rileysowner
    Options
    You are welcome. I have been doing the whole weight loss thing for a long time. Keto has actually worked for me far better than any approach I have taken before this.

I found things slowed down a lot in terms of weight loss when I got within about that range of the top end of normal by BMI. At the same time, while my weight was not going down, I did need to add holes to my belt to keep my pants up which told me I was losing fat. Right now, while I would like weight loss, I am trying to focus on other measures of progress like how my clothing is getting more loose. I had considered taking measurements every week, but I am trusting the plan is working so I am holding off that at the moment.
  • 2nvxbvp2x6
    2nvxbvp2x6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. I need to stay under 20 g of carbs to keep losing weight. I don't know if it's because I'm female or just my genetics, but that's what works for me. Also, eating artificial sweeteners will cause me to stall. Processed foods don't work for me either. I avoid "keto-friendly" foods. They aren't that friendly. Think about getting all your food from the outer edge of the grocery store. The inner aisles are mostly your enemy.
  • Snookums666
    Options
    @2nvxbvp2x6 you are spot on there. I've tried to stay away from processed foods as they do negativity impact my journey.
    I've made some interesting discoveries recently and identified where I needed to improve my eating habits.
    I was relying on meat to keep me full and under 20 grams of carbs. Too much meat 🍖.
    Im now supplementing my meals with nuts, seeds, and healthy fats. This has helped me so much.
    Im also eating my carbs in the form of low carb salads and veg .. before, I saw carbs as the enemy and was eating almost 0 or under 10.
    The way im eating now is life changing, I can see this as a permanent lifestyle change.
    And the bonus is I only have a few kilos left until I'm no longer labelled as overweight!! Win win. 🏆