Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Introduce Yourself

1606162636466»

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,754 Member
    Slow welcome :) But I wanted to say hello here! Happy to see you on discussion threads. You have wonderful spirit :)
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,360 Member
    Ty :)

I started reading too many threads @ once... and hopelessly mixed up location/topics.... doubling back to tackle 1 at a time. I have already found much to be more than worth the read.
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 285 Member
    Belated welcome @Adventurista …. those older posts from Novus are great & well worth visiting loads of times! 👋
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,754 Member
    Don't worry, Adventurista - we all tangle up those threads :)
  • oscarrae96
    oscarrae96 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I've been a yo-yo dieter my entire life. I was the fat kid who got teased and picked last for everything in school. I was probably 200 lbs in 6th grade. I lost and regained 100 lbs so many times in my life.
    My heaviest was 380 lbs and Dr convinced me to have gastric bypass. I got down to 200 lbs before yo-yoing my way back to 320 lbs. I struggle with multiple health issues due to surgery.
    I've fought my way down to my current 257 lbs but I don't have a support system in place and I don't want to regain this time.
    I used MFP a few years ago but just started back up again. I only used it for food tracking. I never realized there was a community. So glad I found this group.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,171 Member
    Welcome Oscarrae! We’re a small but very supportive group. Stick with us. Read some of the older posts. Jump into the threads so we can get to know you!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Hello OscarRae!👋 I'm temporarily speechless due to 😷 coughing and too much rain to type type!🤣 So I'll let the team great you! But jump in and post!
  • lisaartemis324
    lisaartemis324 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi everyone:) I have a significant amount of weight to lose and it is a lonely journey when you are solo. I have always struggled with weight and food but I have reached an all time high and it is time to work on focusing on some self care and with that, weight loss. I'm in the bariatric program and working on building up my fitness and working on getting better eating behaviors before I can take this step. I am also on the fence about this surgery so if anyone has had this surgery please share with me your reflections! I am happy to be anyone's cheering section should you need it:)
  • PAV8888
    Waves hello! @nicsflyingcircus is a currently active member who has had surgery within the past year (actually I believe it is just over six months ago now).
  • Yoolypr
    Welcome Lisa! Jump into the pool anytime you’re ready. You might want to read some of the older posts to get to know us. And or find some pretty good advice.
  • Adventurista
    Welcome :)
  • PAV8888
    Dem old posts are actually some pretty darn good posts!
  • Londablank
    Londablank Posts: 14 Member
    Hey, y’all, I see there’s not a lot of activity on here so we will see how this goes. New to the app and a married mom here. I started at 360 pounds in August of 2021. I found this out when I woke up from my coma and they had weighed me while I was unconscious. I had 2 strokes in 2020 and due to immobility I had put on almost 100 pounds and did Not even know it!

I had a medication change in Feb of 2022 and due to this change (not a med we thought would cause this) I had a Major decrease in appetite and lost the craving for all junk food.

I started dropping weight like crazy, without even trying. I physically was unable to exercise due to being disabled due to the major health issues and the weight was dropping off. I was weighed at the doctor the other day and I am now 211 and I have fluctuated between 210-215 for about 5 months now. I am Super proud of how far I’ve come, but At 5’1” I am Still morbidly obese and have a LONG way to go!!

I am more mobile now than I have Ever been, so my appetite has increased, but not by a massive amount. I am off the majority of the medications I used to be on. IE: all blood presssure, cholesterol, All diabetic (was on pills, extended insulin, and pre-meal). So I watch my carb intake as much as I can. Once a diabetic… you have to watch it and it runs on Both sides of my family.

I am eager to due this and would Love the extra support!! I have a few health complications that make the dietary issues a struggle and I get easily Frustrated. Most in my Immediate him are obese and not too supportive as they shovel junk food in their face. Outside family live in other states, but if they talk about weight issues: it’s mix of shaming and then advice that is impossible to follow! Ex: well you should do more exercise/cardio, get your heart rate up (I was wheelchair bound for 8 months). OR I have these amazing supplements or some drink that’s $89 a bottle or $399 a month for subscription, it’s amazing and burns the fat! (Ummm I can’t afford your snake oil that’s not even guaranteed to work. You say it worked for you, but you only had 30 pounds to lose, Not over 100 AND you changed your diet and excercised along with taking your outrageously priced product! Which really worked, the product or the Life change??) sorry I don’t need to support their latest MLM they’re trying to do.

I would Love REAL support!! Hoping to find some
  • Yoolypr
    Welcome Londa! It is a little quiet around here lately. We’re off on vacations or planning future trips. Others are busy with various challenges. But it’s a good group - a home for those of us with lots of weight loss.
    I wouldn’t worry so much about exercise. Exercise will make you fitter and stronger. But unless you’re an Olympic athlete, you won’t burn sufficient calories to make up for poor eating habits.
    In my humble opinion, I’d concentrate on developing good eating habits and daily logging. Try to work on eating habits that you can sustain for life. Losing weight permanently is not a temporary fix.
  • Adventurista
    edited July 27
    Hi, welcome @Londablank

What kind of support are you looking for?
    ... for ex, there are other groups/challenges with weekly or daily activities, discussion topics, weigh-ins. Could point you to some i find helpful.

This group has a lot of in-depth info and discussions. I am still reading through it. Everyone here gets it and is friendly, non-judgemental, easy-going and happy to yak about issues people post.

Edit to add. I also don't discuss these things with people irl who don't get it and want to fix me or be mean. No need to explain, justify or defend with people who are not sincerely, thoughtfully discussing.

Also, can't wait for anyone to join me. They never have and don't wanna. They want me to keep overeating with them. I can't, so sometimes we eat different things, or i just eat less.
  • PAV8888
    edited July 30
    Yooly hit it all right on the head while our Adventuresome one's got people figured out better than your average cat!👍

No need to worry about the supplements. The food and drink eaten changes primarily and the additional activity and life focus are what did it for the sales rep--not the herbs and spices!

Whether 30lb or 100lb the **daily** loss process doesn't change too much for most people. Total time, underlying focus, incremental changes, other life challenges? That may prove to be another story.

We each have different approaches.

For myself MFP proved eye opening and dovetailed with allowing me to turn weightloss inducing pre conditions into a game as opposed to only viewing them negatively as a constraint.

My goal, once I found my footing, always was and continues to be how to maximize my goodies within the constraints of a caloric balance that would/will induce weight loss (and subsequently maintenance)

Still having fun 10 years later. Still the same general process.

Albeit most of the past 8 years I've been playing in the ~12.5 lb instead of the initial ~125 lb range 🤷‍♂️
  • PAV8888
    By the way Londa, whether you've still got a long way to go or not: you've already come a long long way from where you were at 360 to the 210 you're at now!

That's downright amazing and it's awesome that you've come this far. No wonder such a loss is making you almost ready to fly! :smiley: (I did say ALMOST)

Has anyone in the group of your yakety relatives matched the weight drop you've already accomplished? Have they maintained their lower weight for 5+ months like you already have?

I mean if one of them has not only dropped 100+ lb but also kept it off for 5 years + then I would definitely give them a listen to see which of their methods, ideas, or techniques I might consider for adoption and implementation.

But otherwise I would consider their input to be water... and myself a duck having a good time at the pond!