Intros

Options
FrenchMob
FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
Hi everyone - Maybe a brief into from members would be a good start. Possibly include what tris/dus are in your future.

Me, 40 year old Canadian in the engineering field (read desk jockey). I discovered multisport back in Nov 2009 while watching the Kona Ironman World Championship on TV only to find out later I have a cousin in California that had been doing it for years at the Pro level, and qualifed for Kona 3 times, his best finish was Ironman Canada where he finished 6th overall.

Anyhow, my first year (2010) I did a couple duathlons (run/bike/run) while I tried learning to swim, also did a half marathon in 1:54. I also discovered cross country mountain bike racing in 2010. In fall of 2010 I vowed to work more on my swim to actually complete a tri. I did my first mini sprint last June (400m/10k/2k), and although my swim was horrible I actually managed to get 3rd in my age group. I followed that up with a sprint tri (750m/30k/7.5k) a few weeks later but that was a DNF...something went horribly wrong in the swim to the point that I couldn't even catch my breath even while going slow in bike leg. Anyhow, at this point I'm focusing on duathlons for 2012, including an Xterra event in Aug. My goal is to be competitive in the local sprint duathlon series.

What's are some of your future goals?

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    hey all, i'm planning on doing my first triathlon in june, right on Long island. its a sprint, and i can't wait. training for it, although i'm pretty sure i'm going to knock it out of the park!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Name: Jackson
    Years Racing: 1 (more or less)

I did my first tri about 5 years ago (a local sprint) that I loved. Unfortunately life got in the way (kids, divorce, etc etc) so I didn't tri again for a few years. I did my second sprint 2 summer ago, then this past summer is what I consider my first full season. I did 3 sprints and my first olympic. Next summer I'm hoping for 2 olympics, 1 half ironman and an Xterra. Unfortunately, the races I'm hoping to do are all falling on weekends I have my kids, so we'll see how things pan out.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I am actually a runner, but I would love to do a tri. I teach group ex classes in strength training and trixter cycling, so I don't think it would be a big transition to start training, my biggest weakness is swimming.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    HELLO! Im not an official triathlete yet as in actually racing. I was going to do a sprint tri last june but didnt feel i had enough time on the bike so i did my own. I really want to get into triathlons. Right now Im just focusing on my running while im training for my first marathon in January. I would really like to do a sprint tri next june the Phillips Chain of Lakes Triathalon and will be working on all three skills after my marathon. My biggest weakness is the bike. Its not so much my ability as is riding in traffic. Im just not comfortable. I think i just need more time on the bike. Depending on how my marathon goes i really want to do a 50 miler next fall so that may be the deciding factor in whether or not i do a triathlon next year.

Good to meet you all!

Rachel
  • casey_when_u_go
    casey_when_u_go Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello!!
    I did my first sprint triathon this year and LOVED it!! I was really looking forward to doing it faster next year, but it doesn't look like it is happening, so I'm looking around for a different one.
    I'm hoping to do my first duathlon in the spring, I did a half marathon this year, and hoping to do my 2nd next May.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Howdy everyone,

I always liked the idea of Tri, but was put off by the fact that I sucked at swimming front crawl. I finally took steps to sort that problem this past year and now swimming is one of my loves.

With that barrier finally removed i'm embracing Triathlon full on by training for Ironman Wales next September.

Also love trail running & mountain biking.
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I'm Jen, I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm really a runner, but I did my fist triathlon in the summer of 2010 and had a blast! I did a couple of try a tri's this past summer and one sprint distance. I think it's safe to say I'm now hooked and figure the cross training will only benefit my running. Right now I'm taking a triathlon specific swimming course Monday nights and am still running. I'm looking to get a trainer for my bike so I can continue on with that over the winter too. I'm already looking forward to next summer and trying to figure out which races I want to do....
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Name: <--- its on the left there
    Years Racing: started with 5K's in Apr of 2010/Triathlons 2011

I got convinced by a friend that I should do one....Its all down hill. I got hooked just training. Dec 2010 I was in a car accident and it messed up my back and knee. I was supposed to do my first Tri in the spring of 2011 but the injuries prevented that.

I ended up getting in 2 late Summer/Fall races. The swim got canceled in the first one and was converted to a Duathlon. I finished my first official Sprint Tri on Sept 25th 2011. IT WAS COLD.

Next year I plan to do several Sprints and 1-2 Olympics. My ultimate goal is to do an Iron distance and also to do some Adventure/Xterra races I like trail running and think it would be fun.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Staci and I live in Western MD.
    I did my first sprint tri this past summer and I LOVED it! I'm a runner and I love to bike so I figured it would be a nice change of pace for me. There's a local sprint here in June that I'm planning on doing as my next one. Swimming is definitely my weakest spot so I'm hoping to work on that over the winter. I also struggle some with speed on the bike (I've always just ridden for fun) so I sense some time on the spin bike in the upcoming cold months. Right now I'm training for a marathon at the end of this month so I've been focused mostly on training for that and have spent little to no time in the pool or the saddle in the past two months.

I have high hopes of riding a Century one of these days and then someday hopefully doing an ironman-- I have A LOT of work to do on my swimming before then! I also want to run an ultra someday. Might as well dream big, right?

Looking forward to learning from all of you!
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm Cynthia from Phoenix, AZ.
    I'm training now for my first sprint Tri in December. I am kind of throwing myself in the deep end. But I figure I have nothing to lose ;) I just have to get the swimming time down, I can swim a mile at once so half mile isn't the problem, it's the under 30 mins for the new HITS series I worry about. Oh well I have a month to sweat it out. ;) Literally ;)

Yesterday did 1/2 mile swim, indoor biked 25 mins, and elliptical'd 20 mins, plus a round of weight training and still had energy left. So I have high hopes that this will go well for the first shot of a finish. :) I'd be happy with that.
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 30 year old mother of 2. I did a sprint triathlon about 2 years ago. I wanted to do some this past summer but, because of various problems, didn't make it. I'd like to try and do some once the season starts up around here again. I really need to work on my swimming.
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heather.
    I'm starting from the very beginning. I'm working on the C25K program. I WILL run my first 5K by March. And I WILL compete in my first Duathlon by the end of next summer. I can't wait!!!
  • efarrar13
    Options
    Hi my name is Ed. I live in southern Maine on the coast. I ran my first marathon a month ago, running another in May 2012. Signed up a couple sprint tri's Summer 2012.

Please feel free to add me, I am always looking for like minded people!
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from New Zealand. I plan to do two try tris in the next couple of months, one in December, the other in January. After that I plan to do a standard length tri in April. I got into the idea of tris after I was injured while training for my first half marathon. I got into swimming and have been cycling to commute as well as to train, since then I haven't looked back.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Gareth, 46 from Wales but now live in London.

Suffer from arthritis and both my legs are pinned from Motor bike accidents but enjoy a challenge!!

Completed a couple of Duathlons, I do off road "fun" as opposed to any serious road races. I am hoping to complete a Tri by the end of September next year but need to swim first (I can just about manager 25mtrs! Lessons will start January.
  • bbarr66
    bbarr66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone, new here and just getting started. Want to do two half Ironmans next year (Muncie & Steelhead). Currently 276lbs and want to get down to around 220lbs. If (When) I get down to my goal, I want to signup for Ironman Wisconsin for 2013. Are there any heavy guys in this group?
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started triathlon in 2006 as a way to challenge myself to get back in shape. My first short sprint (400m/20km/5km) was followed a week later by a second of the same distance. 3 weeks later I pushed it to the wall and did my first olympic distance (1500m/37.6km/10km) race. I was hooked.

My goal quickly became to go farther and a bit faster steadily. In 2007 I did a sprint, a few olympics and one half ironman (Desert Half Iron - Osoyoos). I had also gotten my running to the point where I completed my first marathon (barely, and slowly).

2008 sadly saw me sidelined with injury, but 2009 had me back and running getting back up to marathon distance. Late summer of 2009 I volunteered at Ironman Canada and the morning after I signed up to race 2010.

2010 was an awesome year with 2 olympics, 2 half irons (Oliver Half Iron - Oliver and Desert Half Iron - Osoyoos) and then Ironman Canada. I finished out the year with another marathon and a bunch of other running races just for kicks.

2011 had a single half iron (Desert Half Iron - Osoyoos), a marathon and a few shorter races and some well deserved recovery and relaxation time (and lets face it, some weight gain ;) ). It also had me volunteering at Ironman Canada again and signing up the next morning... Ironman Canada 2012 here I come!
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    Name: Rhandi

I ran two half marathons, one in 2008 and the other in 2009 then I moved to Maryland and stopped doing much of anything while I got my self situated in my new suroundings. This past summer I bought a bike with the intention to eventually do a sprint tri and now I think 2012 will be my year. I have my eye on the Iron Girl Columbia sprint tri in August of 2012 and I am considering one maybe two half marathons, on e in ther sping and another maybe in the late fall. I'm looking to get back into endurance sports in a big (or at least big for me) in 2012. The swim is definitely my weakest sport and I plan on taking some lessons to work on my technicque over the winter. I also plan on taking a spin class over the winter to keep myself ready for the bike training when the Spring comes. Any advice will be welcome. :smile:
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    Name: Dawn

Hi! I competed in my first tri (sprint) this past August and followed it up with my first half marathon in September. I'm currently training with the university's tri club and plan to do a sprint and an Olympic tri next year. I'm just starting in my journey to become healthier and enjoy life and hope to get a routine going soon.
  • bjjsurfer
    Options
    Name: Randy

I am new to the site and would like to do a triathlon in the future. The immediate plans are to start with some short road races ad build up to do a triathlon.

Any workouts or advise would be greatly appreciated.