Members Please Introduce Yourself here:

Options

Replies

• access2003
    access2003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I everyone... I just found this app and love it so far. I'm back on the road again. This week mark 4 yrs out from my gastric bypass. Down around 200 pounds over all. I moved last year and fell off my workouts and I really started eating like crap!! So, back on the program. I find that journaling my intake and progress really help the process for me. So again, Hi all!
  • access2003
    access2003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris: First, good luck on Wed!!!! I had mine 4 years ago ( on the 7th!) and it been the best decision I've ever made for myself. You'll eating mainly protein and dairy based stuff for the foreseeable future. With my dailly protein shake or smoothie, I average about 80g of protein a day.. Somedays 150 but never less than 80. I had trouble eating bread for a long time after so my carbs mainly came veggies, beans, etc. You'll find out how few calories you need to run on efficiently and for the first few months counting cals really wasnt worth it for me. The dietian was more worried about the nutrient intake. At this point now, though I can still eat whatever I want, the capacity still just isnt there so I have to make sure not eating all carbs or fats, or that matter all protein. I got myself into a pattern, logged it, then tweeked where the numbers told me to go. The weight will come off either way, just make sure your body is getting what it needs since the cals will be sooooo much less.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Good morning group,

My name is Chris and I am scheduled for WLS on Wednesday, 12/7/11. I have been overweight since puberty. I have had 7 children and homeschool them all. I am working on exercising, walking. After surgery I will try to add weights to the program. My lifestyle is sedentary but I need to change to be there for my kids and to be the proper example to them.

My first question to you all, is how do you change your goals for WLS? If I increase the protein to 25%, 90g, 20% fat, then the rest is carbs which I obviously don't want. So what kind of numbers do you recommend, even just for me to know. I am 5'8" so NUT says 90g protein but how much other stuff should I shoot for in the future. I know my numbers will be lower for a few months after surgery.

Thanks,
    Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm so excited for you! Tomorrow is your big day!
    Welcome to the group! I look forward to getting to know you better.

My program required this:

< 800 calories per day
    45% carbs
    35% protein
    20% fat

I usually manage to get in all my protein or more and come up under on the carbs and fat.

My surgeon told me that the more protein the better. So I use a high protein, no carb powder.

Again, I'm so happy for you.

Please, let us know how it's going!

Thanks!

Darla
  • darla499
    Options
    hi there..banded since aug 2004, lost 30lbs while going through two years of hurricane drama, but have yo-yo'd back up 15. Never got my head right so spent the last few years over-eating and vomiting. Band has slipped and will be removed fully in january. in counseling and nutrition therapy because i'm not ready to transition to any more agressive surgery such as sleeve or bypass. insurance excludes all bariatrics so any problems would be fully self pay. weighed 236 at highest. was 217 this morning. want to be 140. feel overwhelmed.

Hi!

Welcome to the group!

I can totally understand your frustration. But go easy on yourself. You've been through some major trauma. Pat yourself on the back for what you have lost.

I really believe that by coming here, you can learn the tools that it takes to start a healthier diet!

Just hang in there with us.

You can do it!

Darla
  • darla499
    Options
    Hi All!

I see some familiar faces here! I had a VSG 01/19/2010. I've lost 127 pounds, including the 7 I lost prior to surgery. It's the best thing I ever did for myself and my family. I've maintained my current weight (within 5 pounds) for 14 months so far. I hit goal within 9 months of surgery.

Every day I get up and make it a priority to keep myself healthy and fed in a manner that keeps the weight off. I do it because I feel better about myself when I'm in good shape and I do it because I have two awesome kids who need an active, healthy mom around.

I'm currently training for a triathalon in April but I'm finding that running is really my most favorite sport.

If you'd like to read more of my "story", I have it written in my profile!

:bigsmile:

Hi Chocolate!

Welcome to our group! I hope that we can get to know you better. I love to hear success stories ... and boy, yours is amazing! I am so happy that you are accomplishing so much. You inspire me! I can only dream of entering a triathalon!!!

You GO girl!!

Darla
  • darla499
    Options
    I everyone... I just found this app and love it so far. I'm back on the road again. This week mark 4 yrs out from my gastric bypass. Down around 200 pounds over all. I moved last year and fell off my workouts and I really started eating like crap!! So, back on the program. I find that journaling my intake and progress really help the process for me. So again, Hi all!

Hi Access!

Welcome to our group.

I hope that you can stick around and keep inspiring us and let us help encourage you.

200 pounds!!!! That's outstanding!!! I need to get there, but am stuck at 111 pounds. I guess I need to step up my exercise to start losing again.

Anyway ... keep us up to date!

Darla
  • alleyrat
    Options
    I had a sleeve gastectomy nearly 3 years ago. I lost about 50lbs but hit a wall a year ago and then started to regain. I was regaining about 2-3 lbs a month and getting really really depressed. I went onto an Optifast regime and lost a bit but it has been a real struggle. I can eat a lot more than just after the op and my surgeon had me have a barium swallow, which did show that my stomach had dilated a bit. I found this app (MFP) about 2 weeks ago, and also have read some of the articles on MFP and a kind of light went on. I realised from the reading I did (I can't link to it as I don't remember where I found it but it was in the helpful links for newbies section), that I am a chronic undereater who 'binges' every few days on unsuitable foods. I believe I need to reset my metabolism by eating the calories I need to and exercise every day (even if its just a half hour). I am going to stick with this programme and see how I go. I have been to the depths of depression with the weight regain and don't even want to talk about it. I do have a good nutritionist and she has been trying to tell me this stuff but I haven't been listening.

The sleeve did give me a start but the final solution is in my hands.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Alleyrat - did you find the sleeve curbed your hunger? That was key for me as I knew I wouldn't be able to keep my weight loss off if I was hungry all the time like I was pre-op.
  • alleyrat
    Options
    @MacMadame - Yes it did at first but not now. However I don't get the same intense cravings I used to. I eat very much better now with a much lower carb intake than my old ways. My surgeon wants me to stop metformin but I am not in agreement with him and have started taking it again against his recommendation. I have high insulin levels but normal blood sugar. There is so much conflicting information around - I have to stick to one thing and try it. Every time I stop taking metformin I gain weight.

At least MFP helps me analise my weekly intake to see the areas that need improvement. Plus I can print out the reports and show (whoever) this is what I am actually eating. I feel like I am taking the power back now, but am aware of how shaky this positive feeling is as I got completely knocked off my perch last night when a friend made a suggestion about my food. I have an unreasonable emotional reaction to food suggestions from other people. (My NUT excepted).

Ya - so my intro is "Still nuts about food". :-)
  • smkcrawford
    smkcrawford Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sarah. I had sleeve surgery on 11/16/11. My highest weight (before I started using MFP) was 267. On the date of surgery I was 253. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and down to 233! In 3 weeks I've been able to stop taking medication for high blood pressure too. I'm still a baby when it comes to learning how and what to eat, but I've had a very good recovery and am happy so far with the results. I've become a little bit addicted to logging my food and exercise here on MFP, it's so incredibly helpful!
  • shewinked
    Options
    Hi everyone - my name is Sheila and I had surgery 6 weeks ago. My start weight was 230 and I'm now down 33 pounds. I had the surgery because I was a diabetic at the young age of 38 and have a familial type of high cholesterol that has blocked the arteries of many a family members. I didn't want to travel down the same road of sickness and open-heart surgeries as so many of my family members. My Mom had a heart attack in her 40's and that scared the snot out of me. Since I'm her genetic twin (we're alike in every way), it was easy to make the decision to have WLS. I have three precious kiddos, a boy who's 5 and twin girls who are 3, and a wonderful Husband.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you and supporting you in this journey.
  • missah1459
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

My name is Melissa and I am scheduled to have the sleeve surgery next week - the 22nd. I am really excited about what the future holds, but also a little nervous about everything. Any suggestions or tips for me?
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

My name is Melissa and I am scheduled to have the sleeve surgery next week - the 22nd. I am really excited about what the future holds, but also a little nervous about everything. Any suggestions or tips for me?
    Be nice to yourself when you are recovering...

Every day will be different ... what works one day won't work the next... so just be patient and willing to try new things until you figure out what works for you and everything settles down and evens out. (That will probably be around 2-3 months out.)
  • fbbtaylor
    Options
    I second that...everything will be different and weird and it takes 2 - 3 month before your stomach is really healing and eating becomes some semblance of normal. Just don't push yourself, rest as much as you can..

I had my sleeve on 9/14/11 and have only started feeling really normal in the last couple weeks, but still have things I can't tolerate. With some, I hope that it will change after a while (coffee), and with others i am OK if they don't, (can't tolerate much sugar).

I just focused on hydration and protein for the first few months, now I am eating much more variety and slowly adding more things in as my stomach tolerates them...

Good Luck!!
  • missah1459
    Options
    Thank you guys so much. It's so nice to have someone here who has gone through it before me!
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!! My name is Nicole. I am 24 yrs old. I had sleeve surgery on jan 24th 2011. My starting weighjt was 304 and I am now 158. 146 lbs lost!! I still have 18 lbs til goal and its going by slow. I have regained my hunger. Not too bad but I can eat a little more. But maybe about 1/2 cup more especially softer foods. Here to lose the last and starr maintaining!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!! My name is Nicole. I am 24 yrs old. I had sleeve surgery on jan 24th 2011. My starting weighjt was 304 and I am now 158. 146 lbs lost!! I still have 18 lbs til goal and its going by slow. I have regained my hunger. Not too bad but I can eat a little more. But maybe about 1/2 cup more especially softer foods. Here to lose the last and starr maintaining!

LOVE this girl and her motivated spirit! What a great accomplishment!!!
  • susiecuse
    susiecuse Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am so glad to see that I am not alone in this fight! I had my WLS on May 2nd 2007. I started off at 562 and the day of surgery was 523 (or so). I am currently at 460 lbs. I have only kept of 63 lbs and my lowest weight was 389. I get very discouraged because I truly thought this "tool" was my answer.

I must say that I have never had the feeling of fullness that accompanied eating the 2 T of food when I first had the surgery. I followed the diet but, those full feelings were never there until I ate more than the required amount of food.

I didn't have many complications like the dumping syndrome when eating fats or sweets ( I so wanted to have that because I thought it would have kept me from eating those types of food). The complications came later when I lost over 100 lbs.

I began to have very heavy periods and my life was a living hell. They would last for 2 weeks then stop for 2 weeks and this cycle continued. I hardly ever left the house and this was right around the time I went back to college part-time.

This nightmare went on for over a year and a half with different treatments, but, for now I have to keep studying for my final exam in less than 41/2 hrs so I will continue this entry later this evening. Wish me luck and thanks for being here.
  • missah1459
    Options
    Nicole,

Your situation sounds very similiar to mine, except I will not be having the surgery till next week. It is exciting and inspiring to see you having such great success with the sleeve. It makes me even more excited for whats to come. I will definitly have to pick your brain about how you did it! Congratulations girl!!!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Susie - did you see the Back on Track thread?