Stage 1

Options

Replies

• MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I depends on the bar a full size olympic bar (7ft) is aroung 20kg but the smaller bar (6ft) is about 15kgs.

I always secure the plates on the bar - who cares if you look cool, i sure beats them dropping off the bar if you loose balance and them landing on you foot :laugh:

Can help with the seated row as i swapped it for a barbell row instead.

Good luck!
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just started Stage 1, Workout A1 today....and WOW! I can't believe I sweat as much as I did. I am super-excited to go through this entire program. Is anyone else starting today (or at some point this week)? I'd love a "training buddy" to help me stay motivated.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I just started Stage 1, Workout A1 today....and WOW! I can't believe I sweat as much as I did. I am super-excited to go through this entire program. Is anyone else starting today (or at some point this week)? I'd love a "training buddy" to help me stay motivated.

I'm starting tomorrow,send me a FR if you'd like!:flowerforyou:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Maddamekat, I'm going to look up barbell row on youtube. Can you tell me why you decided to sub? Thanks, all, for the feedback. Looking forward to workout #2 tomorrow.

Also, how do you all feel about cardio between lifting days? I want to preserve my energy so I can lift heavy, but I also really value variety. Just back from a 3 mile run now and it feels good. Anyone else notice if it significantly detracts from what you can lift the following day?
  • Jennifer0878
    Options
    I will be curious to hear what others say about cardio on off days, too, I'm planning on doing 20-30 minutes of HIIT 2-3 times a week.....but I'm going to wait and see how sore I am tomorrow before I decide. ;)
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Maddam, is this version of barbell row what you're doing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLCvXbej_Q

Looks like it'd target more (stabilizing) muscles than the cable row, so now I'm curious about that as a sub, too.

One thing I wonder about for myself is form. How many of you are using trainers to initially guide you versus just going for it (with the help of the book of course)? I find comforting that the book de-emphasizes "perfect form" bc I'm not going with a trainer & hoping the book plus youtube demos help enough.

Jennifer, what form of HIIT? Are you running/sprinting?
  • Jennifer0878
    Options
    I'm not using a trainer. In fact, I'm doing everything at home. I have adjustable dumbbell weights (2.5 lb. up to 55 lb.), a swiss ball and a workout bench. I also have resistance bands and can modify some of the pulley exercises using those.

As for my HIIT workouts, I alternate jogging/walking and doing the Turbo Fire DVDs from Beachbody.

I don't know if I'll get the maximum benefit from the program by working at home, but it's the best I can do with my schedule of being a stay at home mom to three kids (4, 2, and 5 months).
  • grapenutSF
    Options

I don't know if I'll get the maximum benefit from the program by working at home, but it's the best I can do with my schedule of being a stay at home mom to three kids (4, 2, and 5 months).

Wow. Right on. I have one (4yo) and that's challenging enough. I'm sure you'll get lots out of the program.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,930 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad some more joined for Stage 1!! YAY!! And, I think working out at home is TOTALLY do-able. Good for you!

I'm doing Workout 4B, Stage 1 today. But, I'm still working on "form", so I expect I might repeat workouts 7A, 8A, 7B and 8B, once I get there. I like workout B better, but that is because I'm not a very good squatter (yet!). And, I think, because the lunges are at the end....so, I'm just a ball of goo afterward and I can wander over to an elliptical and try and bang out 10-minutes of HIIT.

For me, I'm trying to do 2 days of HIIT per week, in between my weight-training workouts. And, Saturdays I reserve for long steady-state cardio. Why? Because I've got tons of friends in that class. I miss it if I don't go. And, I'm actually GOOD at it. (versus weight-lifting, where I kind of suck right now).

Good luck all Stage 1'rs!! I'm happy to support you and be friends as we journey along in 2012.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! On my second week of workouts!! Pullovers were hard on my triceps with a 17.5 DB. Ouch! Did the deadlifts with 2-22.5lb DB, very challenging. Teaching Zumba tonight.

What is everyone doing in terms of nutrition? I dont hear a lot of comments on that. That is a biggie for me especially at 48 yrs of age. It is no longer easy to lose weight unless I make good changes in my diet.

Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Deninevi, thanks for that link on deadlifts! So much information to keep in my head.

Alf, as for nutrition, I set my MFP calories at 1500 (higher than their default), which makes me nervous. And I intend to eat all my exercise calories too. I'm trying to consume a lot more protein, and having a recovery protein shake after lifting (and exercise in general).
  • Jennifer0878
    Options
    Alf, I have my macros set at 40/30/30 but I have left my calories alone. Right now I have it set to lose 1/2 lb. per week but I'm wondering if I should up my calories while doing the program. I am currently at 1350 cals/day but I eat back my exercise calories AND breastfeeding calories, so I'm really eating just under 2000 calories a day. Does that make sense?

As for WHAT I'm eating, I'm trying to eat clean. I'm probably only 85%-90% clean, but I am working on it. I started cleaning up my diet last month and I noticed a HUGE difference in my mood (once I got through the detox period of cutting out processed stuff), skin and hair.

GrapenutSF, thanks for reminding me that I might need to up my calories.

Deninevi, yes, thanks for the link on deadlifts! I'm dreading those tomorrow.

Beeps....Does the soreness get better as you progress through Stage 1? I'm pretty sore today. I'm going to try to do some light jogging/walking today, but I don't think I'll be able to do a HIIT workout. I'm so sore I can hardly walk!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,930 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories when I started this progam. Yep, it seems "counter-intuitive", given that I want to lose body fat, but I did it just the same. I can adjust in a month if it isn't working. I just used the mfp "maintenance" setting - I think I get 1,850 calories for "non-weight-training" days - but I do HIIT on those days, and I am (trying) to eat back my calories. And, I get about 1,975 calories for my weight-training days.

I have become VERY stringent about my sugar intake (i.e. none) and my grain intake (i.e. oat bran in the morn, and that's it!). I have always eaten a protein bar after my work-outs, so that part is easy. I've added in a protein shake in the afternoons, and I've been adding 100% whey protein powder to my oat bran (instead of Splenda) and to my afternoon yogurt (when I remember to eat THAT).

I'll know in a month if something is changing. Although, I'm not lifting heavy enough, I think, to really change shape like I should. I'll get the form down and then I'm gonna lift HEAVY AS HELL!!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I'm not using a trainer. In fact, I'm doing everything at home. I have adjustable dumbbell weights (2.5 lb. up to 55 lb.), a swiss ball and a workout bench. I also have resistance bands and can modify some of the pulley exercises using those.

As for my HIIT workouts, I alternate jogging/walking and doing the Turbo Fire DVDs from Beachbody.

oh im so glad someone else is working from home! i have adjustable dumbbells and a gym ball (swiss ball) too! dont have a bench but i can improvise with a table and as for steps- will just use the stairs.

Im quite similar to you, however i work full time and have a daughter (currently ttc!) and can only workout from home.
    im hoping to start sometime this week!
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say Hi to everyone new here!!! I'm currently in stage 5 and really love this program. I just wanted to pass along a few thoughts I had. If there is a cardio activity you love stick with it but make sure you eat more to cover the cardio calories. I still love to dance and do zumba so I stick with that 2x week. I also like to get outside for a run sometimes. You'll be adding HIIT after your workouts in later stages also. Weight...that's a big one..haha!! For me personally I have not lost scale weight...that sucker won't budge and I expected that so I'm fine. My mirror, my clothes and my family and friends tell a different story..:) My kids will ask to feel my muscles...lmao!! Nutrition wise try to eat healthy with a small deficit if weight loss is your goal. Maintenance if body recomposition is what your looking for. This has just been my experience with the program...nice to "meet" yall!
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see that there are more of you ladies working out at home with this program.

I never thought of using my resistance tubing for the exercises that call for using the pulleys.

I did my first workout today!:happy:
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options

started today also..loved it but can tell I will be sore tomorrow...was a great sweat made me wonder why I did 30 min of cardio first..add me as a friend if you want , have a feeling I may need some motivation if really sore.:smile:
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You wanna hear something hilarious? Just finished stage 1 last night, then I got a facebook notification from NROL that Louminator had posted more youtube videos of the weightlifting moves...so I went to check 'em out. The "prone jackknife" I was doing? I've actually been doing the more advanced pike all along!! No wonder I was sweating through that one! And of course, I wouldn't find out until I completed the stage...how typical!
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Jarrett, just looked at his vids now. Which were you doing, the pike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjIiETmCk4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

wow.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!!! :drinker: My back is a little sore from the workout yesterday but it is a really good light soreness. :happy: Thank you for all the comments on nutrition. I am too following the 40-30-30 plan, so far so good. I already warned my husband that I am following this plan and things might change. :laugh: We do like to eat out often and I give into temptations but I need to make some changes in order to get back to where I was last summer...I feel most comfortable when I weigh about 125 and I am not liking these extra pounds/inches I put on myself (132). As far as calories, I am mostly eating the maintenance calories and will continue monitoring my weight weekly and see if I need to lower those. I really dont want to maintain this weight now but I am afraid to eat less and feel weak for my workouts. I am also eating clean as much as possible, 85%-95%. I know it can be very challenging to eat clean 100%. Some days are better than others...

Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou: