Tips and Tricks

Options
Still a fairly small group right now :) BUT is there anything you guys have found works best for you?

I can share a few of the things Ive noticed

-Eggs( or protein in general) are pretty much the only successful breakfast for me
-Thyroid medication does not get absorbed when calcium is consumed up to 4 hours of taking your pill (learned this one the hard way)
- Low carb diets seem most effective, but medium carb diets work best :) (aka, Im not about to cut out a good sandwhich, or some rice)

Replies

• charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    -Thyroid medication does not get absorbed when calcium is consumed up to 4 hours of taking your pill (learned this one the hard way)

Are you serious? Doctors have told me to wait for breakfast only 20 minutes after the pill....
    Who told you 4 hours?
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Are you serious? Doctors have told me to wait for breakfast only 20 minutes after the pill....
    Who told you 4 hours?

Having a mother in the nutrition field comes in handy sometimes lol. I wish I kept the websites she gave me to look at (she wanted me to learn about my thyroid condition on my own and only verify with her) . I can't off the top of my head remember if 4 hours was supposed to be an exact number, or a number I found to be in the "safe" field. I follow the 20 minute rule when eating breakfast, but because calcium is such a strong inhibitor I never wanted to take the chance. Like I said though, those were things that worked well for me. I did however gain about 10 pounds in two weeks from drinking milk with breakfast (so that could be where my paranoia set in). I also found when I was trying to build muscle and lose fat, those three things really helped me up my calorie intake (though there's no reason one is better than the other). At that time I was eating close to 2100 calories a day and losing
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My meds and docs have advised 1 hour before anything to eat or drink and to take the meds with a full glass water.
  • greenie
    greenie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Stopped eating soy. Started eating meat (was a veg). Scaled back on gluten. Probiotics- I make my own greek yogurt and Kefir. I have the best success with a protein (4 oz of meat) with quinoa or rice a big side of veggies.

As far as eating after taking meds: You can eat 20 min after, just nothing with calcium...which makes breakfast really tough!
  • latinahada
    Options
    I stay away from soy. As advised, I take my medication 30 mins to 1 hr prior to eating with a full glass of water and I have increased my protein.
  • fit4future
    fit4future Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stopped eating soy. Started eating meat (was a veg). Scaled back on gluten. Probiotics- I make my own greek yogurt and Kefir. I have the best success with a protein (4 oz of meat) with quinoa or rice a big side of veggies.

As far as eating after taking meds: You can eat 20 min after, just nothing with calcium...which makes breakfast really tough!

Hi!

I usually have chopped fresh fruit (nectarine, peach, rockmelon) with natural greek yoghurt and natural muesli with linseed for breakfast - do you know if the calcium in the yoghurt would be alright or inhibiting my absorption??

Also, I agree with limiting your soy intake as much as possible.

Have also found limiting your cruciferous vegetables, increasing seafood / fish intake, low (not NONE) carb intake and just generally trying to eat the freshest, most unprocessed food as possible seems to help.

Just started trying out extra virgin coconut oil as well as it seems to have really helped to increase my energy - i'm definately not as cold or sluggish when i have a tsp a day. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had any experiences with it??
  • bahorne74
    bahorne74 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    WOW! What am I going to do if I can't have my cereal with milk for breakfast?
    Since joining this group I have learned so much. I understand now not having calcium. SOOOO any suggestions for a quick breakfast for a mother of 3 that works full time?
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with fruits
    Scrambled Eggs ( I do mine in the microwave, out of laziness and convenience of living in a dorm room)
    Toast

Basically, protein is your best bet for breakfast (for more than just thyroid reasons) but you can pretty much have anything, just skip the milk:) For awhile, I actually found it too hard to give up my morning cereal so I was adding in water instead. Not the greatest tasting, but you could always give it a shot!
  • CutTheGut
    Options
    All of my medication says to wait for 60 minutes before eating. I had no idea that I shouldn't be having calcium. I get up at 4:30 .. take my medication, start exercising at about 4:45 and have a cup of decaf coffee (i can't give up my coffee, but switched to decaf) with milk at about 6:30 every morning. Could this be hindering my weight loss?
  • bahorne74
    bahorne74 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip on the oatmeal. I'm not too crazy for oatmeal, but i tried the "flavored" ones (cinnamon roll, apple crisp, banana bread, fruits) and so for I'm doing ok with not having milk or cereal. I figured if I can't have my cereal and milk in the morning I would have it for lunch or a snack. Still not loosing the weight I would like, but I'm not giving up!! Thanks for all the tips and tricks for the thyroid. You are ALL AWESOME!!:flowerforyou:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I feel super hungry by 10am if I don't have protein for breakfast. I do really well with eggs too. Kashi is the only cereal I eat, because it advertises protein. However, it tastes kind of like tree bark after awhile.

Greek yogurt has lots of protein and is good for breakfast.

I was advised to take my pill 1 hour before breakfast, but I have started taking it at night. I take it 2-3 hours after dinner. I have been on numerous hypothyroid groups all over the internet, and after I heard of some other patients doing this, I started too. This seems silly, but it helps my bathroom routine if I take it at night. Otherwise, I can't go in the morning until I'm at work, and I hate dropping a deuce at work. I prefer to handle that at home, before my shower. :)

Anyway, from what I understand, the most important thing about taking your medication is that you do it consistently. You must take it at the same time every day, with the same amount of time between meals, etc. That way, when you get your blood work done, it will give the doctor a good idea of how you are doing and they will be better able to give you the right dosage.
  • geezalawheez
    geezalawheez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been on Levothyroxine for about 8 months now. I started out at 25 mcg, but my dosage was upped to 50 mcg a couple months ago. My medication bottle actually has a tag that says not to ingest calcium for 4 hours. I swear my first bottle didn't have that tag on it though; I started out taking my pill with orange juice with added calcium, and couldn't figure out why I was still so tired! I definitely figured that out the hard way as well. I have found that I can get away with eating calcium about 3 hours after, but I'm still a little paranoid as well.

I have yet to find a good quick breakfast food, but that's only because I'm not a morning person at all so I usually get up and rush out the door. For lunch I usually eat a protein bar; the Market Pantry brand ones at Target are comparable to the Zone and come in a few different flavors and are pretty good.

Does anyone find that a particular type of exercise is better than others for hypothyroidism?
  • fit4future
    fit4future Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been on Levothyroxine for about 8 months now. I started out at 25 mcg, but my dosage was upped to 50 mcg a couple months ago. My medication bottle actually has a tag that says not to ingest calcium for 4 hours. I swear my first bottle didn't have that tag on it though; I started out taking my pill with orange juice with added calcium, and couldn't figure out why I was still so tired! I definitely figured that out the hard way as well. I have found that I can get away with eating calcium about 3 hours after, but I'm still a little paranoid as well.

I have yet to find a good quick breakfast food, but that's only because I'm not a morning person at all so I usually get up and rush out the door. For lunch I usually eat a protein bar; the Market Pantry brand ones at Target are comparable to the Zone and come in a few different flavors and are pretty good.

Does anyone find that a particular type of exercise is better than others for hypothyroidism?

Hey!

Yoga is very good for hypothyroidism - helps with the stress / anxiety symptoms and all of the upside-down poses increase blood flow to the thyroid in your neck and helps to stimulate it.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. It was awesome when my levels were low, because it was something I could do that didn't leave me feeling exhausted.

Walking is always good.

Lately, I have been doing Turbo Jam DVDs because they offer low impact modifications. You can step it up or take it down a notch... there are ways to make it work for every fitness level.
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Avoid goitrogens like soy products (which unfortunately are found in just about every product in the supermarket, unless you can afford to shop at an organic food store) calcium and iron (this knocks out cereal, cream of wheat, instant oatmeal, most breakfast foods), and multi-vitamins or supplements shouldn't be taken within four hours or the medication. I noticed an improvement in how the medication worked for me when I started taking it before bed. I have dinner no later than 6pm as a rule and take the pill by 9 or 10, this just works better for my schedule--between teaching and taking classes early in the morning, I would have to skip breakfast to make this work.
  • efarrar13
    Options
    Wow...just want to say thank you to all who have posted. A lot of good info here. I am on synthroid trained and ran a marathon this past summer and lost little weight. That's when they looked at my thyroid and rest of my endocrine system. Parathyroids are shutting down as well as low testosterone. Are there foods which can help slow or reverse this or am I at the mercy of the pharmaceutical companies?
  • RedKH
    RedKH Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi Everyone

It's been really great to read the responses in this group, it's so very helpful to know what other people have found out or what they have been told.

The calcium near tablet in a morning is sadly only something I have found out from trawling through websites and even then I seem to have only read about leaving 30 mins!

I tend to leave a little longer as I like a yogurt in a morning but I may replace this with some oats/hot water and fruit etc and leave my yogurt til the afternoon?

I also read that having 6 smaller below 300cal meals are better for those with underactive thyroid. Does anyone else do this? It said maintaining the metabolism with 6 smaller low cal meals a day rather than having 3 larger meals will balance out the bodys 'highs and lows' and keep things running better?!

Good luck to everyone, the support everyone gives to eachother is fantastic :smile:

xKx
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

Who told you 4 hours?

I have to say.. I have been on thyroid meds since I was 23 MONTHS old, my mum used to crush them in weetabix to get them down me.. I've never ever been told by a doctor that I shouldn't take them with food and have been taking them with breakfast all my life! (I'm 42 now)

Maybe it depends on the dose as I'm on a high dose cos my thyroid doesn't work at all... many people seem to be on 50-150mcg daily? maybe its cos I've always taken them that way my body is used to it and it doesn't affect it?.. or how long its been under and how far under when it happens later in life and you got some catching up to do to get levels back to 'normal range'?

i did try taking it at night instead but to be honest it didn't make any difference to me at all and there was no difference in blood test results!

I'm low carb too and its worked for me. I still have the odd treat meal including non-wheat carbs, but use gluten free bread for toast/sandwiches and no wheat cereals/flour etc
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am just curious if the soy and calcium consumption that limit the effectiveness of Synthroid actually show up in the blood work. If it did then your doctor could adjust it accordingly.

My PMD always wants to lower my dosage even though I still have symptoms.
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    I take my thyroid medication first thing in the morning with a b-complex and wait one hour before eating. I take my calcium and vitamin d in the evening after dinner.

I am adding some supplements to my regimen to see if there is a combination of things that will help support and get my metabolism going again. I've been using the internet to determine when the best times are to take supplements and their interaction (if any) with thyroid medication.

Will be watching this thread with interest!