Introductions

Options

Replies

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Eric and I am a Boilermaker living in Gator Country! :-D I ran in HS and then I stopped and got heavy! Then I started running again about 10 years ago and I have been running ever since. I have run races from a distance of 1 mile up to 50K and some day I would I like to try a 50 miler. Unfortunately last fall I got achilles tendonitis from playing soccer and now my weight is paying for it. I tried cutting back on my miles to see if that would let it heal itself but it didn't work. So now I am stuck in a walking boot for the next 30 days. I am hoping that this site will help me to get a better control of my eating habits. In the past when I could run as much as I wanted I didn't watch what I ate at all. Well Now I have to!

Thanks and Boiler Up!

Boiler down - Go Hoosiers! :tongue:
  • Krona217
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kevin. After a 15 year layoff and 50 lb. weight loss I decided to start running again this past November. I have run 2 5 mile races since November and will be participating in the inaugural #TwitterRoadRace (5K) tomorrow. My goal for this year is to run in at least 1 race per month. I will start training in a couple weeks for my first half marathon in June.
  • Lani844
    Options
    Hi from Hartford CT
    In training for lots of things, my A race this year is Ironman Lake Placid (again!)
    Hoping also to get my 10th state and join the 50 States and DC Marathon club this year too.
    Oh and a BQ along the way would be nice.
    Hmmm, that's a lot to wish for!
  • jasjames81
    Options
    Hey my name is Jason. I ran cross country in High School which was about 11 years ago. I gained alot of weight since High School. About 2 or 3 years ago I lost about 40 pounds and ran my first 5k since high school. I am ten pounds from that weight lost 24 so far. I am planning on running some 5ks in feb. and my first 10k in march. And depends on my progression with running I would like to try a HM in april but it just depends on where I am with weight loss and running but thats the plan. I am eating healthier than ever before and all the times I lost weight before that was why I always gained it back. I am really looking forward to the future. Not just running longer but a healthy life. I still have pounds to lose but I feel so much healthier than I ever have. It's amazing how bad foods make you feel.
  • ema727
    ema727 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Elizabeth. I started running in August 2010 at the age of 36. I use the Jeff Galloway run/walk method and it has helped me go from couch to a full marathon in a little over a year. I started out doing a 5k and then a friend talked me into training for a half marathon and I have been hooked ever since. I love the bling!
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    My name is guido and i have been running for about 10 years. 10 Marathons Kept myself fairly fit, still in the Clydesdale division. This past year, I got an injury, Plantar Fascitis from not stretching for a period of two or three years. I quit running for a few months and have started up again. I put on 15 pounds in that time and am working myself back.

It is harder to get into shape than to stay in shape. So, I am trying to run 3 times a week, some on a treadmill, some on the streets. Working on building my core and starting the whole process again. Hope to run a marathon at the end of the year. Would like to do a half as well.
  • goneundone
    goneundone Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Ashleigh. I've been running on and off for fitness for years, but I just recently started running regularly, at least 3 times per week. Mostly on a treadmill though because it gets dark early and it's been freezing here. I just signed up for my first half marathon to take place in May, and I will be getting 12 weeks of professional training beginning at the end of February.

I look forward to learning from this group!
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    Great Ashleigh. I am recovering from an injury and am finding the treadmill is a lot softer than a road. Treadmills are not bad. Keep running and keep us posted on that half.
  • katiestemp
    katiestemp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm Katie, only been running a year. I've done multiple 5k's, 1 10k and have hopes of increasing my mileage this year. :)

I started running to lose weight, but also I think it's a great stress reliever. Happy to be part of the group!
  • zzzzia
    zzzzia Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Isabelle from Montreal.
    I started running in the Fall. I got hooked :)
    Will be running my first 10K in Ottawa in May. A little nervous about it, as I am not ready yet, but nothing is stopping me. I am running outdoors, in -26 C, which is about -15 F.... There is nothing like a Canadian Winter.
  • SPautler
    SPautler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Steve from Virginia Beach. I started running about 5 years ago, but really started to run seriously about a year ago. I've ran everything from a 5K to a half-marathon, including a couple of mud runs. Right now I'm trainig for my first full marathon, the Shamrock on 18 March. I love running long distance. As a friend of mine once said "running is cheaper than thearpy. I love the alone time of distance running and the way I feel afterward....that runners high !!!!
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Charlotte and I'm from Melbourne. I just got a bit of a fancy to do a half marathon this year, I have previously run a couple of 10k races but not for a couple of years! I'm doing a 12 week beginners program at the moment (I'm on week 1 so a seriously beginner-y beginner!), slowly working on improving distance and speed. I'm not registered for a proper race until July this year, so think that's plenty of time to get right into it!

I am going to have a lot of questions for you about carbs/protein balance, other training you do along with your running, and your pre/post workout snacks...so hope you can share some of your tips!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is John and i am from New Jersey (i am not the Jersey Shore type). Anyway, i like to run the half mary distance, i have a few marathons under my belt, but i feel the best at the half distance. Doing the tough mudder this year than a 10miler. I am sure i'll do 2 half marys later in the season. if i feel super good maybe a full mary, but i hope not.
  • climberchic
    climberchic Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello All!! I have been slacking with my running over the last few months due to an accident but I'm getting back into. Nice to see so many others that enjoy running!!!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm Cathy :) I'm happy to meet so many other runners!

I started running on August 2, 2010 which is the same day I signed up for my first Half Marathon. I figured, "What the hell? I'm young, I should be able to do this, thousands of people do it ever year." And so began an addiction. Ironically enough, I used to hate running as a child and didn't see why any sensible person would actually run on purpose. Who knew I'd end up being a runner?

My first marathon was last October - the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco :) It. Was. Awesome! So awesome in fact, I'm going to try to run it again. I also am running the SF Marathon in July.

I also just decided today that I'm going to make my next goal running an ultramarathon :)
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Eric and I am a Boilermaker living in Gator Country! :-D I ran in HS and then I stopped and got heavy! Then I started running again about 10 years ago and I have been running ever since. I have run races from a distance of 1 mile up to 50K and some day I would I like to try a 50 miler. Unfortunately last fall I got achilles tendonitis from playing soccer and now my weight is paying for it. I tried cutting back on my miles to see if that would let it heal itself but it didn't work. So now I am stuck in a walking boot for the next 30 days. I am hoping that this site will help me to get a better control of my eating habits. In the past when I could run as much as I wanted I didn't watch what I ate at all. Well Now I have to!

Thanks and Boiler Up!

Boiler down - Go Hoosiers! :tongue:

i second the boiler down!!! Go I.U!!!! :tongue:

but in all sincerity, i wish you a speedy recovery eric!
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Melissa from Michigan. I started running 2 years ago and have found that I enjoy distance over speed! I've run 5 half marathons and am looking at doing my first full marathon this June. I've got this crazy idea of weaving two 1/2 marathons and a 25K into my training for Half Fanatics. Long runs in the snow are a challenge. :ohwell: Please feel free to add me! Thanks!
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Tim in Leeds UK.

Training for a full marathon in May

Done one and other various races

Thanks
  • Kramerjen
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jen, I just joined the site because I am a new mommy and need some motivation to get back into running. My favorite running shoes are Pearl Izumis. I've run 5ks, 10ks, a 15K, a half marathon, a marathon, and a 200-mile relay race, in addition to racking up hundreds of miles in training runs. I haven't run farther than 3 miles in the last year, but I'm hoping to change that soon enough. Thanks for the motivation!
  • yrretom
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mark, and I'm new to this group. I am 40 years old, but I am determined to stay young and not look it or feel it! I have run 5Ks and 10Ks, but never a half or full marathon. I am wanting to do a half marathon in the near future, so I am here for insight, tips, and motivation.