Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• KMay1221
    Options

For our January Quidditch Captain with the overall highest % of weight lost for the month, technically our winner would have been lottee1000 with an impressive 4.65% weight loss during the month. But since she's already HoH, our official winner is our newcomer mish3131 with an awesome 2.88% loss! Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Congrats to you both!!!!
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Now, like lottee, I'll take off my HoH hat and just post, lol.

I actually have a question for anyone who'd like to put in some input. I have a friend who is going to be doing one of the weight loss surgeries, most likely by the end of this month. Now I won't get into whether I'm for them or against them because for me, it depends on a lot of different factors. I will say my mother did the gastric bypass surgery yeaaars ago at the suggestion of her doctor and did very well with it, so I'm not anti- by any means.

My concern is that he's been eating everything he can get his hands on lately leading up to this surgery. And that isn't me being judgmental. That is him actually saying that, and in fact, saying that part of his reason for "eating everything in sight' is that he won't be able to soon, so he's enjoying it all now. I wish I was even just talking about splurging on some treats here and there, but large quantities of food and nothing healthy in it.

To me, the surgery isn't the solution in that case, then. He's young (early 20s), with no real health drawbacks that would prevent him from exercising, and as long as I've known him, I have never seen him on a genuine attempt to lose weight by cutting calories and changing his food habits (maybe small changes somewhere, but nothing that carried over to a noticeable effort). So if his mentality is that he's trying to get healthy, what's the benefit of eating nothing good and attacking his body with 10-20 pounds of more fat that it will need to lose? Is it just the assumption that the surgery is an easy fix? And if that's how he's basically training himself before the surgery, how difficult is it going to be when none of his habits have changed to help him after the surgery? Is he going to cause complications for himself or end up gaining it back?

So here's the question. I have a feeling that my thoughts wouldn't be very warmly welcomed if I tried to talk to him about it, but I also have a feeling that it's going to eat at me and make me feel guilty if I don't at least say something as a friend to try to keep him from getting in a worse position. I really, really am concerned that he's taking the surgery lightly as a fix-all, and he isn't really thinking about it more than just an option to lose weight.

Would you say something? And if so, how? Just position it as being a concerned friend or try a different approach?
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Oh wait! Back to HoH for a minute. Sheesh, sorry for the million posts today!

Anyway, as best I can tell (I tried to go through all of my messages and the CR thread), we still need end-of-month February goal weights for the following Ravenclaws:

alohashley
    blackhawkgirl91
    cherubcrnp
    craft338
    emmie_rene
    karinane
    Matchamatcha
    mish3131
    Pandora55
    pufff
    Samiwhereareyou
    TwiFan5
    "Weezieishness

You can now enter it directly onto the updated spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnaZ2CBZ3MgTdGxWaWE5OVU0dkQzRE9hRko0S0huT3c#gid=0).

Oh, and it just occurred to me that it might look as though we're letting our new Ravenclaw housemates fend for themselves when they come in because I always send a mail message directly to them rather than posting something in-thread, lol. Hopefully everyone's got all the links and info they need, but of course, feel free to ask questions if anything is still confusing, etc. We've got a bright and helpful bunch, so they'll steer you right.

And thank you all for giving such warm welcomes to our new members, too! You guys really are the best! :heart:

(And by the way, Sue, thank you for the compliment! :blushing: )
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    OK ladies . . . . doctor gave me the "all clear" sign yesterday and I can resume normal activities- of course his normal isn't my normal so his normal is- physical therapy 3x a week, I am only allowed to walk for 30min at a time (yeah we'll see how long THAT lasts), and no work out videos or running for a bit (again his "little bit" isn't necessarily my little bit). I would love to get back into Ravenclaw for February. I love you guys and have missed talking with you every day! I added myself to the spreadsheet and entered my start weight and goal weight for Feb.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone for such a super month!
    I really wish we could still use the badges in our signature because I would love for you to be able to show off your success, but does anyone have any other ideas for how we can celebrate those? Would love to hear it!
    Kelly, Bron has made badges that can be used either as your profile pic or on your ticker. I never got around to posting them for everyone here, but they are at the bottom of the Inter-House Challenge Official Rules: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/hogwarts-inter-house-challenge-143613
    So here's the question. I have a feeling that my thoughts wouldn't be very warmly welcomed if I tried to talk to him about it, but I also have a feeling that it's going to eat at me and make me feel guilty if I don't at least say something as a friend to try to keep him from getting in a worse position. I really, really am concerned that he's taking the surgery lightly as a fix-all, and he isn't really thinking about it more than just an option to lose weight.
    This is a tough question. Its always hard to know whether to say something or not - because no matter how well intentioned, comments about someone else's life choices are never taken in the spirit they're given. The best you can expect is for the other person to hear you and consider what you said, but you cannot expect them to change their ways unless they're ready.

I am faced with a similar dilema - my sister and her new husband (married in Nov) are both grossly overweight. Both of them eat huge servings at every meal and both of them want the lap band. He was the first to decide he wanted it and I told my sister then that once he gets the surgery, he will not be able to eat such large portions. I asked her why they are spending all of that money for the surgery when he could see similar results just reducing his portions. Her response was that he doesn't have the self-control to just reduce portions. Well, what do they think is going to happen after the surgery? He'll just magically have self-control?? It just doesn't make any sense to me. But I said my piece in a non-confrontational and loving way and then I let it go. Now its up to them to take it to heart or not. Good luck!
  • tboothgenthe
    Options
    Just checking in today - I am sooo hungry today. I finally started lifting weights and I have to say I think it's changing my hunger levels. When I was just doing cardion I was okay with my 1400. Now lifting I'm like HUNGRY. I'm sure I'll get used to it - probably only take a week or so to adjust.

My body is starting to feel different and I think I have to go out and get some new pants. I had lost about 5 pounds before I started MFP and I'm down another 5-6 so the pants are starting to feel big. I'm going to wait another 1-2 weeks before I go out and spend any money. I'm still surprised by how committed I'm being so I want to see if it lasts.

Take care all.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I just noticed that Weezieishness weighed in using kg. I used to calculate the kg to pounds for the chart so that the calculations would work right. I'll add the formula to the botton of the weigh in page tonight so that it will always be easily available.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also, congrats to our Quidditch All-Star of the Week for the highest % of weight loss: bethanyweathers, with a % lost of 1.85% (woohoo!)

Really? Wow! Sweet!

Today I couldn't go to any classes or work. I can barely move or get out of bed I'm in so much pain. Everyone keeps saying I should go to the doctor, but I know they'll just tell me to keep taking the meds, or prescribe me yet another pain killer. I've spent over $100 on pain killers alone because of all this. I don't want to waste any more money on something that they'll change in a week. Very frustrated.
  • alohashley
    alohashley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello February...Get Ready to get your *kitten* KICKED!
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hello February...Get Ready to get your *kitten* KICKED!

AAAAMEN!!! :laugh:

I am loving "Map My Walk" (www.mapmywalk.com) because now I can track how long my walks are when walking around campus and in the neighborhood. For example, the walk I took today (down the big steep lane, five blocks up, and back) was just under 1.5 miles, which is very convenient to know when I don't have access to a treadmill. I also learned that walking around the perimeter of the main campus is just over 1/2 mile, so twice around is just over 1. It's just much more enjoyable to walk outside and not on a treadmill....gets very boring very quickly, lol!
  • kellyisloved
    Options
    Today I couldn't go to any classes or work. I can barely move or get out of bed I'm in so much pain. Everyone keeps saying I should go to the doctor, but I know they'll just tell me to keep taking the meds, or prescribe me yet another pain killer. I've spent over $100 on pain killers alone because of all this. I don't want to waste any more money on something that they'll change in a week. Very frustrated.

Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. :/ It's especially frustrating when it feels like you aren't getting any good alternatives or any really effective care. Do you think maybe a different doctor or location might help? :(
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi Ravenclaws, I have entered my Feb goal as 101 and am hoping to reach it, I am still having a hard time with my health and it really is annoying but I am at a loss of what to do about it or where to go next. and who to talk to about it. :( Hope that everyone is having a fantastic week and am looking forward to weighing in. :)
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just wanted to say congratulations for such an AMAZING week to end the month! We ended with a weight loss percentage in Week Four of 0.767%, which is a huge improvement from last week! We also hit our goal of breaking the 200 mark with our HPs, yay!

For our January Quidditch Captain with the overall highest % of weight lost for the month, technically our winner would have been lottee1000 with an impressive 4.65% weight loss during the month. But since she's already HoH, our official winner is our newcomer mish3131 with an awesome 2.88% loss! Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Wow I am chuffed with that!1 And well done everyone on a strong finish to January, as alohashley says, 'let's kick february's *kitten*!!'

Although am munching on biscuits as I type that.. oops...
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ravenclaws!!!!!!!
    So far so good on the "kicking February's *kitten*" front. Its a gradual slow kicking but its still a kicking!
  • mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Morning! Sorry everyone that I have been MIA. I have been so busy at work because my co-worker was on vacation I didn't take lunch a few day. Not good. Hopefully this week will better since she finally got back today. Next week will be another challenge since I am going on a cruise 2/9-2/13. Ugh, but if I make good choices I should be good...that will not be easy though.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    hi everyone! :happy:

this is my FIRST post as a real Ravenclaw :heart: and i'm so excited to start february challenge!!!
    i promise, i'll try more than usual. this week i'll have many house points because i joined a challenge in which i have to burn 3500 cals and i usually burn just 800... so... i'm sweating like a pig, but i'm gonna do it and i'm gonna do it properly! woo! :happy:

p.s. i want to let you all know that if i write something wrong or with a bad grammar- it's because i'm from Croatia(a small country in Europe, just next to Austria and Italy) so english is not my native language. thank you all for understanding :flowerforyou:

:heart:
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ravenclaws!
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Greetings, fellow Ravenclaws!

Today is Thursday and I'm stoked for the weekend. I only have to work half a day tomorrow; the rest will be spent hiking with my brother. I got invited to go hiking with some co-workers on Saturday, and on Sunday I get to clean and organize some equipment. So much activity!

I'm not sure I can make the Saturday thing. Although I enjoy hiking, I've JUST started, and am not sure what "extreme" this hiking trip will be. Don't want to kill myself; I just want to have fun. :)

I think I'm going to get a FitBit. It's only $100 and I'm interested to see what calories I'm NOT tracking. And sleep patterns would be fun. Anyone have complaints on this product that I should know about?

Have a great day!
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was interested in getting one of those Fitbit things. I know someone on here has it. Is it worth the dough? What exactly does it tell you?

I have a fitbit and so far I like it. It tells me how active I'm being, my step count, how many calories I burn during the day, tracks your sleep if you wear it to bed and the new one also tracks floors climbed. When you sync it to MFP it auto updates if you burn more calories than usual in a day. This is my first week though and I'm still seeing if it helps me with my weightloss.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Welcome mommyoftwins08, tboothgethe, puff and anyone else I missed!

Congrats to bethanyweathers & mish3131 for some awesome loses!! Woohoo! *cheers*

Bethanyweathers- I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time with this *hugs* Hope it eases up soon.

I did pretty good for my "weekend" stayed under calories both days and worked out each day. Yesterday wasn't the best day food wise. It was my moms birthday so we went out to Denny's and then there was cake and ice cream at her party that night. Stupid garlic bread *grumbles* I need to learn better control at social functions. I'm such an introvert that even at family gatherings I end up in a corner somewhere eating to look like I have something to do. I was proud that instead of sitting the whole time I tried helping in the kitchen to keep my activity level up (thanks to my fitbit and my determination to keep my flower growing). Definitely didn't stay under sodium but made my water! Going to try for a better sodium level today. Hope everyone is having a great day! Let's go kick February's *kitten*! Woot! :wink:

:heart: Ayla